1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miami's Depth at Runningback

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Ironside, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Ironside

Ironside New Member

Nov 18, 2009
    It's certainly a good thing the Phins had depth at runningback. As much a blow as it is to the team to have Ronnie Brown and Patrick Cobbs on injured reserve, the Phins' running game should continue to be solid. That's IF Lex Hilliard comes though.

Ricky Williams will be fine, we're lucky to still have him. He a proven runningback. He hasn't been played too hard over the past few years and that's kept him fresh. Lex Hilliard had a good pre-season. Now we'll see if that can carry over into the regular season, where the games count. Kory Sheets was signed from the practice squad of San Fransico last month, but he hasn't been activated as of yet. There's also the wildcat that will feature Ricky Williams and Pat White taking direct snaps from center. White has shown an ability to run the quite well, especially against the Paties. Then there's fulback Lousaka Polite who has been brilliant on short yardage plays. So the Phins will be able to continue running the ball without putting the whole load on Ricky Williams.

I expect the Phins running game to not miss a beat with Ronnie out. I hope I'm right.

the 23rd, SargeZ33 and USArmyFinFan like this.
  2. USArmyFinFan

USArmyFinFan Maximum Effort

Mar 23, 2008
    Houston Texas
    I agree, even though losing RB hurt, I think we can pull through. All be it, I do believe our Offense will have to change to our current hosts of running back by committee.

3. Ironside

Ironside New Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Opposing teams are really going to challenge Chad Henne now. More than ever, they will stack the box eight deep and make the Phins beat them in the air. It's not so much Ricky or Hillard that need to step it up, as it is Camarillo, Bess, Hartline, Ginn and the tightends. I believe, IF the Phins can get their passing game in order, Miami is going to eat up opposing defenses. But this seems to be a BIG 'if' from what we've seen so far this year.

4. Gitrdone

Gitrdone New Member

May 22, 2009
    Canada EH!
    Would be a perfect time for Ginn to finally break out of the funk he is in.

5. Delfin Alejandro

Delfin Alejandro Premier League Champs

Dec 12, 2008
    We need crazy glue on Ginns and Bess hands. They need to hold on to the ball and not drop it...

6. SargeZ33

SargeZ33 Semperfi!

Jul 24, 2009
    Fleming Island ,FL
    I think we will be good. I expect 150yds between both LH and RW tonight.

7. Ironside

Ironside New Member

Nov 18, 2009
    On offense:
    The quarterback, runningbacks and offensive line need to continue their solid play. The receivers and tightends are going to have to step it up big.

Defensively:
    Our corners and safety must have big games too. I think we can continue to have faith in the defensive line to stuff the run and put pressure on Carolina's quarterback, Jake Delhomme.

GO PHINS!

8. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    The way our offensive line has been run blocking, it will still be a solid night for the other RBs so long as they can hold their weight.

The problem is, Ronnie Brown has amazing field vision. He really knew how to hold back for a second and wait for the seam to open up, and then tear into it for some nice yards. The way he moved there were so many times where he bought the line an extra second when he realized they needed it, and they returned the favor by opening up big chunks of yardage for him.

I think Ricky will be able to do the same thing, but the other backs he's trading snaps with, who knows.

9. Ironside

Ironside New Member

Nov 18, 2009
    SeanP, you just made some importantly valid points!

Hopefully Lex Hillirad has been paying attention to the way Ronnie give's the o-line that lil bit of extra time to open things up.

You've just nailed a great point.

10. NickyNapoleon

NickyNapoleon Active Member

Jan 20, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Clifford Franklin

* Now you know this don't look natural Coach. Now you know it don't... I look like I just jacked off an elephant.

Delfin Alejandro likes this.
  11. Ironside

Ironside New Member

Nov 18, 2009
    To be fair with Ginn, most of the passes thrown his way lately have been uncatchable, or would have been remarkable catches if made. I agree that they need to go to him more than once or twice in a game to give him some rhythm.

12. TheAnswer385

TheAnswer385 Stay Low Run Free

Jan 7, 2008
    PA
    I think Kory Sheets will be a surprise impact player this game

13. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Come on give me a break. Defensive units have been stacking us all season anyway and now that Ronnie is out they are going to dedicate more to the LOS? Maybe they will put all 11 guys up front because Miami can't pass at all.

Defenses will be doing the same thing they have been doing all season and we need to continue to win the battle up front and be successful with the run.

The pressure was already on Henne. :up:

14. CANEPHINS

CANEPHINS No Tats & Dreads Allowed

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Ok...your avatar might be the best play on the logo I have ever seen. Did you create it? IYAM, that would be a great update to the logo and uniforms. I like the fact we are classic and haven't gone "modern", yet I could handle that update. Though the tail section looks more shark like. Still, great logo.

15. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    FWIW, OmarK on his dolphin's chat today thinks if Sheets is not activated in the next two weeks he will be cut.

Seems to think Sparano and Co don't like what he has to offer.

In Omar's opinion of course, to me he has been here long enough to play in the offense so cutting him and trying to fit someone new into place doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

But we down 2 Rb's, if Sheets cannot cut it now he never will.

16. Ironside

Ironside New Member

Nov 18, 2009
    I'm anxiously waiting to see how the Ricky Williams / Lex Hilliard tandem work our tonight.

17. Ironside

Ironside New Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Lex didn't touch the much, but he made an impact when he did. I think we're going to be able to count on him.

GO PHINS!