1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miami's Next HC - is Mike McDaniel! (4 yr contract)

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Galant, Jan 10, 2022.

1. tirty8

tirty8 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Jags, Bears, Vikings, Broncos, Raiders

2. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I know a lot of people hate Grier but that is just not the GM he is. He is the type of GM who tries his hardest to get the players the coach wants. He isn't Tannenbaum.

For all of Grier's faults, let's not make up ones.

3. mlb1399

mlb1399 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Where are you seeing that was on Flores?

4. Fishhead

Fishhead Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2016
    Then if Flores wanted Herbert, why did we draft Tua? If Flores wanted Fitz to play because he gave the team the best chance at winning, why was Tua inserted into the starting lineup? Established coaches will see the obvious power situation in Miami and the smart ones will steer clear.

5. mlb1399

Mar 6, 2010
    I go through that list and outside of Harbaugh, I have a hard time seeing any of those as upgrades. Maybe I just need to stay away for a few days and cool down.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
    ExplosionsInDaSky likes this.
  6. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    That is just a rumor, we do not know.

I have read plenty that Flores was on board with drafting Tua and he didn't want Fitz to play.

Irishman likes this.
  7. tirty8

tirty8 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Just looking at this list horrifies me. This is the path to finding the next Adam Gase or Joe Philbin.

We HAVE to start learning from our mistakes. Taking guys with elite QBs, or teams that are essentially all-star teams, or teams that have both, and making them our HC does not suddenly change our personnel.

If you look at places like Dallas, KC, LAR, and TB, there is so much talent there, I would expect anyone to succeed. Remember when Gase was a "genius" based on his time with Peyton Manning. I think people sometimes overthink things and make a story far more complicated than it is. Sometimes teams draft a stud at QB, and that QB probably would have more or less been successful in most place.

Kellen Moore is "brilliant" because he has Dak Prescott surrounded by Ceedee Lamb, Amari Cooper, Ezekiel Elliott, Tony Pollard, and a pretty decent line.

Sub in Ceedee Lamb for Parker who will be hurt for 6 games.

Elliott and Pollard for Duke Johnson and Gaskin

Take that good line and give him a bottom five line

I bet we will find that Moore and people like him are not as brilliant as we thought.

Striking and KeyFin like this.
  8. Vinny Fins

Vinny Fins Feisty Brooklyn dolfan ️‍

Oct 26, 2009
    Bklyn
    His in game decision making is quite poor. Hes just not good tactically late and close

Irishman likes this.
  9. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    My initial reaction was the same. That being said...

If developing Tua is the mandate for the next HC, Brian Daboll is one of Tua's biggest supporters from his days at Alabama... I don't trust Daboll or his offense tbh. Josh Allen is the most pure talent at QB and I'm worried he masks BD's weaknesses.

Irishman likes this.
  10. JJ_79

JJ_79 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Germany
    I don’t think it will matter who our next HC will be, I don‘t think he‘ll be better then BF. It almost feels like Ross wants to move the franchise….

11. bbqpitlover

bbqpitlover Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Maine
    Urban Millers is looking for a job.

Irishman likes this.
  12. mlb1399

Mar 6, 2010
    Is this question intended for 2022 or 2025, getting hard to tell with this organization

13. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware

14. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Until Ross and Grier are both gone, don't count on any reputable experienced head coach coming to Miami. No experienced head coach is going to want to become a "token" head coach on a team that is this dysfunctional.

From 1970-1995, the Miami Dolphins regular season record was 257-133-2 under the great Don Shula (.655), which included a total of 5 Super Bowl appearances, 2 championships, 5 AFC Championships, and multiple playoff appearances and wins.

Since 1995? The Dolphins regular season record has been a dismal 204-213 under the guidance of 8 head coaches (not counting interim head coaches) with a cumulative win percentage of .489. The Dolphins last playoff win was December 30th 2000.

The organization is utterly dysfunctional and pathetic. In this day and age of free agency and the desire for instant success, the Dolphins (as well as other organizations) are going through head coaches faster than I change my underwear.

Miami is truly going to regret firing Flores...and we're looking at living in the basement for the next 3-5 years at least.

FinSane, brandon27 and mlb1399 like this.
  15. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    This is why I want jim caldwell.If he could bring the lions to the playoffs he sure can with us.

16. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    This strikes me as the type of thing fans who are local to their team and don't follow outside teams much say.

Most NFL teams churn through coaches until they find one that at least somewhat fits. Organizations like the Steelers are extremely rare, and mostly a product of a good coach handing over a good team to another good coach versus most teams who start with a bad team.

It will actually be interesting because we have a relatively solid team, better in many respects than the other openings. If we do end up in the basement you may be vindicated, but imo there is no reason we can't do better. That is the bar.

Irishman likes this.
  17. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    He'd be a stabilizing presence, but this age and health are concerning. He's also got the rap as a guy who struggles to get over the hump. As a 3-4 year guy who can stabilize us and perhaps turn us into perennial playoff-goers though I wouldn't complain.

It's early, but it does kind of feel like a veteran is in the offing.

dolphin25 and pumpdogs like this.
  18. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    I agree, my take is that it doesn't matter who the coach is. Until this team has a franchise quarterback in place there will no stability at any other level of this organization. Maybe it's narrow minded of me to think this way, but that's how I feel. You can hire and fire all day in the coaching department, but until we have a superstar quarterback that can carry this team on his back, it's going to be this way. Having a great defense is awesome, having a complete team is wonderful, having a franchise quarterback keeps your team relevant for as long as that player remains there. Yeah...Deshaun Watson went 4-12 with Houston last season, but none of that was his fault. He played amazing all year long. We had a 6-10 year with Marino. Losing seasons happen with franchise quarterbacks, just not on a regular basis.

mlb1399 and pumpdogs like this.
  19. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    I think Ross answered that questioned correctly. He can't say that he openly wants to take Harbaugh from Michigan while he's currently their coach. . IF Harbaugh and Michigan part ways then its a different story entirely.

20. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    And prior to his allegations, my only issue with acquiring Watson would be the asking price. But as it is, I don't think the Dolphins, let alone any team in the league, should even consider signing him.

Irishman and dolphin25 like this.
  21. Cashvillesent

Cashvillesent A female Tannehill fan

Dec 8, 2019
    Caldwell is a very good coach

22. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Michigan is not going to dump Harbaugh and Ross will not try and lure him away, Harbaugh is out as concerns Miami.

23. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    Could very well be true but I was just pointing out why Ross said what he did regarding Harbaugh in general.

24. Pennington's Limp Arm

Pennington's Limp Arm Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Ontario, Canada

First official request I’ve heard from Fins…

25. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Yet he kept benching Tua to put Fitz back in. The logic isn't sound there. Reports were all over earlier this season that Flores wanted Herbert instead. He also held Tua out every chance he could; like Baltimore. Of course we don't know for sure, but it sure seems like there's alot of substance there.

Regardless of that; the problem here these guys weren't content with each other and it's not a stretch of the imagination to realize this is likely due to the acquisition of the most important player on the team; the QB. One of these guys is responsible for coaching the team; one is responsible for acquiring the players the coach needs, both are responsible for working TOGETHER to accomplish the goal of winning. They failed at that together. If you're going to fire one; you need to fire the other. If Flores wasn't happy with the relationship and still went out at 1-7 and got these guys to the brink of the playoffs he's doing his job all the while the GM is in Ross' big floppy ears pushing him out the door. Grier comes off now only as a questionable GM, but a snake in the grass. Given what we've learned of our past coaching changes and the fact Grier has been a part of this organization through many of them it's really not a stretch of the imagination he's made the power play here and possibly to save himself, so who really knows what is and what isn't true.

Time will tell; what happens here in the next month with a new coach and with the QB will likely give us the answers were looking for here regarding the Flores/Grier/Tua/Herbert situation.

All i know is the perception across the league right now sure isn't in favor of Miami's decision today. From the media; to players; to coaches everyone is shocked and surprised. The only ones who aren't are Ross and Grier and the reporters who broke the initial story with the statements from the team. It's not a good look; and it's going to be quite the struggle to attract a quality HC and staff IMO.

dolphin25 likes this.
  26. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    There were reports that was complete BS.

I think the rest is just conjecture. Flores has been rubbing people the wrong way for a while. The reports were there. The fact that he couldn't get an offensive staff and kept firing them.

Also, I have also seen the perception to be mixed. Some people think it is stupid, some people thought it was inevitable. I am also discounting people's opinions whose job it is to yell at the screen. I don't care what they think because I don't believe their job is to make informed opinions, just yell at the screen.

27. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Where's our Calvin Johnson and Matthew Stafford and Suh? That's more of what got them to the playoffs. Caldwell here is just another stop gap past his prime. A calming voice for a young team but not the guy who will get them over the hump. His tenure in Detroit was an example of that. They had alot of talent but he couldn't get it done.

I do think he's a good coach though; but I'm just not sure its who we need.

Irishman likes this.
  28. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    It would depend on the staff that Caldwell is able to put together.

Also Caldwell is the only coach to have multiple winning seasons in Detroit in the 2000s. That place is a dumpster fire.

29. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Wait; it's complete BS he kept benching Tua for Flores? Because I'm pretty sure we all saw that happen with our own eyes. Just like holding him out this year against Baltimore when by all accounts he could play; we heard that again today as well. It's not like these were rumors, these were published reports IIRC. Either way; it doesn't matter now and we'll find out in due course here as this coaching search evolves. If we're after someone to salvage Tua then i think it becomes a safer assumption that Flores likely did want Herbert instead which means it likely is the root cause of the friction here.

We'll never really know the truth though; you're right on that.

30. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    True. Caldwell was the perfect voice that locker room needed though after Jim Schwartz tore through there. He did inherit a pretty good roster there though IIRC. I do like the thought of his connections and being able to build a solid staff; but he sure seems like just a stop gap type solution. I'd be surprised though if a man like Caldwell would want to work for a clown like Ross. Maybe a man like Caldwell though can help Ross actually get a clue.

31. Silverphin

Nov 25, 2007
    If he wasn't willing to work with Ross in any capacity, then he wouldn't have taken a spot as part of the Miami Dolphins' coaching, even if that was for a brief time due to health problems.

32. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Not with this leadership at the executive level.

Ross? Inept. Grier? Inept.

It doesn’t matter who the Dolphins hire as their head coach. They’ll be fired in 3-4 years. That’s been this team history since Shula’s retirement

33. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    True, but I think there's a difference in being an assistant or consultant or whatever his title compared to him being the head coach. I'm sure the rest of our co-ordinators or assistants didn't have much direct contact with Ross like the head coach would.

34. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Suh was gone and Calvin retired after Caldwell's first season, so he was only present for 1 of 2 playoff games. IIRC it was "the process" game where we forgot what a catch was and the NFL had to mess around for the next 4 years trying to figure it out. Stafford is ... well Stafford. Highly talented, but also prone to just boneheaded stuff at the worst possible time. The fact he won 0 playoff games is more than a little on him. I'm interested to see how he does this go around. I suspect a win or two, but I don't think he can play well enough over a 3-4 game span to take the Super Bowl.

35. Silverphin

Nov 25, 2007
    True, but an owners reputation is still enough to make someone consider if they're willing to work there or not.

Heck, I wouldn't even want to be a water boy for the WFT because Snyder is that much of a d-bag.

36. OwesOwn614

OwesOwn614 Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2020

37. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I hear Adam Gase the "QB Whisper" is available

Irishman, canesz06 and dolphin25 like this.
  38. Vinny Fins

Vinny Fins Feisty Brooklyn dolfan ️‍

Oct 26, 2009
    Bklyn
    We need a young dynamic hc who embraces a speedy rpo attack if this is the personnel we are rolling with. That’s not jim caldwell.

39. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    See, that's the kind of outside the box thinking we need!

canesz06, KeyFin and Dorfdad like this.
  40. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    I am just done with these coordinators.I want an experienced coach.

Dorfdad likes this.