Miami's Next HC - is Mike McDaniel! (4 yr contract)

892 replies

OwesOwn614OwesOwn614Forum Veteran
Jan 10, 2022, 11:39 PM
DorfdadDorfdadForum Veteran
Jan 11, 2022, 12:15 AM

"Clark Kent wrote:

What about chargers OC Joe Lombardi? I know his resume is thin, but he spent forever as NO QB coach, working with Brees. Maybe he brings in Joe Brady as OC, another saints alumni... I hate the idea of another first time HC, but at this point, wtf can we do.

I'll throw it out it there... Mike Shannhan. Proven system. Access to assistants that are proven...

If we're stuck with Tua, we need someone with a background working with QBs.

I hear Adam Gase the "QB Whisper" is available

Vinny FinsVinny FinsForum Veteran
Jan 11, 2022, 12:37 AM

We need a young dynamic hc who embraces a speedy rpo attack if this is the personnel we are rolling with. That’s not jim caldwell.

fooball.
futbol.
hockey.

Clark KentClark KentForum Veteran
Jan 11, 2022, 12:55 AM

"Dorfdad wrote:

I hear Adam Gase the "QB Whisper" is available

See, that's the kind of outside the box thinking we need!

PUpumpdogsForum Veteran
Jan 11, 2022, 05:06 AM

"brandon27 wrote:

Where's our Calvin Johnson and Matthew Stafford and Suh? That's more of what got them to the playoffs. Caldwell here is just another stop gap past his prime. A calming voice for a young team but not the guy who will get them over the hump. His tenure in Detroit was an example of that. They had alot of talent but he couldn't get it done.

I do think he's a good coach though; but I'm just not sure its who we need.

I am just done with these coordinators.I want an experienced coach.

PUpumpdogsForum Veteran
Jan 11, 2022, 05:09 AM

"The_Dark_Knight wrote:

Not with this leadership at the executive level.

Ross? Inept. Grier? Inept.

It doesn’t matter who the Dolphins hire as their head coach. They’ll be fired in 3-4 years. That’s been this team history since Shula’s retirement

Yea I know.Goimg to be 55 I just want some hope

Phin McCoolPhin McCoolForum Veteran
Jan 11, 2022, 05:10 AM

"Destroyer wrote:

This is going to be unpopular but I'd like Mike Zimmer.

He's not even in the frame.

Geddit? Zimmer? Frame? Oh alright then, please yourselves....

________________________________________________________________________________________________

PUpumpdogsForum Veteran
Jan 11, 2022, 06:30 AM

Well they just requested to meet with Brian Daboll.

ExplosionsInDaSkyExplosionsInDaSkyForum Veteran
Jan 11, 2022, 08:03 AM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

It would depend on the staff that Caldwell is able to put together.

Also Caldwell is the only coach to have multiple winning seasons in Detroit in the 2000s. That place is a dumpster fire.

Matthew Stafford has been and is one of the best quarterbacks in the league. We don't have that here. Our only hope is to build an elite defense thar is historically good because our offense sure does suck. We won't win a damn thing until we get a franchise quarterback in here.

DorfdadDorfdadForum Veteran
Jan 11, 2022, 08:14 AM

Please no Brian daball I don’t want another coordinator who gets credit for a superior athlete. We all thought gase would be great since he coached manning.

Tin IndianTin IndianForum Veteran
Jan 11, 2022, 08:20 AM

"Dorfdad wrote:

Please no Brian daball I don’t want another coordinator who gets credit for a superior athlete. We all thought gase would be great since he coached manning.

The only inexperienced Head coach I would be interested in is Daboll, but my preference is either Doug Pedersen or Jim Caldwell. Pedersen won a Super Bowl with Nick Foles for gods sake and Caldwell coached the Lions to 3 winning seasons out of 4 with 2 playoff appearances. The Lions. Those two are the top of my list with Daboll maybe 3rd.

Not My Circus, Not My Monkeys.

PUpumpdogsForum Veteran
Jan 11, 2022, 08:48 AM

"Dorfdad wrote:

Please no Brian daball I don’t want another coordinator who gets credit for a superior athlete. We all thought gase would be great since he coached manning.

I agree but he coached Tua at Bama so u know how that will go.

TItirty8Forum Veteran
Jan 11, 2022, 09:48 AM

"Dorfdad wrote:

Please no Brian daball I don’t want another coordinator who gets credit for a superior athlete. We all thought gase would be great since he coached manning.

I would put Daboll on my short list for a few reasons:

First of all, if you read between the lines, I am getting the impression that part of Flores's firing is that he was not a believer in Tua. Yesterday, it felt like in the battle between Grier and Flores, Grier won out. I am starting to think that the battle was actually Grier and Tua vs. Flores.

I am a realist and pragmatic by nature. If this move really was mainly about Tua, we might as well lean into it. Get him someone who believes in him and has had personal success with him. I like Tua, and I admit, he gets a lot of excuses - some fair, others a stretch. Hiring Daboll would immediately remove some excuses, and improving the offense would remove others. Honestly, by the end of next season, I think we should be close to a resolution.

Secondly, I do think that Daboll really did play a role in Allen's success. Allen was super raw when he entered the league, and he truly has demonstrated significant growth as a passer and and mechanically. I do not put Daboll in the Bienemy, Leftwich, and Kellen Moore category. I think offensively, the Bills have similar talent as the Dolphins. The Bills have one great receiver with Diggs - we have Waddle. Their running backs are suspect much like ours. Knox is more complete than Gesicki, but we have different TEs with different skillsets to mitigate that. Emmanuel Sanders and Parker are similar at this point in their careers.

GalantGalantForum Veteran
Jan 11, 2022, 09:55 AM


"Although we are capable of great acts of kindness, history teaches us that we sometimes need saving from ourselves – from our recklessness or our greed. God sent into the world a unique person – neither a philosopher nor a general, important though they are, but a Saviour, with the power to forgive... It is my prayer that on this Christmas day we might all find room in our lives for the message of the angels and for the love of God through Christ our Lord." (Christmas message, 2011)

GalantGalantForum Veteran
Jan 11, 2022, 09:56 AM


"Although we are capable of great acts of kindness, history teaches us that we sometimes need saving from ourselves – from our recklessness or our greed. God sent into the world a unique person – neither a philosopher nor a general, important though they are, but a Saviour, with the power to forgive... It is my prayer that on this Christmas day we might all find room in our lives for the message of the angels and for the love of God through Christ our Lord." (Christmas message, 2011)

JJ_79JJ_79Forum Veteran
Jan 11, 2022, 09:56 AM

"Tin Indian wrote:

The only inexperienced Head coach I would be interested in is Daboll, but my preference is either Doug Pedersen or Jim Caldwell. Pedersen won a Super Bowl with Nick Foles for gods sake and Caldwell coached the Lions to 3 winning seasons out of 4 with 2 playoff appearances. The Lions. Those two are the top of my list with Daboll maybe 3rd.

Daboll only for the Tua reason, but I'm not sure if Tua is a Kyler Murray (talent wise), so I'm not really for it. Pedersen won a Super Bowl and has Dolphins history so I would be good with him and Caldwell did something in Detroit so I wouldn't complain if we got him. I'm at a point that I don't really care as long as Ross is here, I got no expectations or anything, I'm just going to watch this unfold...

Tin IndianTin IndianForum Veteran
Jan 11, 2022, 09:59 AM

"JJ_79 wrote:

Daboll only for the Tua reason, but I'm not sure if Tua is a Kyler Murray (talent wise), so I'm not really for it. Pedersen won a Super Bowl and has Dolphins history so I would be good with him and Caldwell did something in Detroit so I wouldn't complain if we got him. I'm at a point that I don't really care as long as Ross is here, I got no expectations or anything, I'm just going to watch this unfold...

Unfortunately this is where we are.

Not My Circus, Not My Monkeys.

Jan 11, 2022, 10:35 AM
"Galant wrote:

Joe Brady….
Cringe!!!!!

DestroyerDestroyerForum Veteran
Jan 11, 2022, 11:18 AM

I swear if we fired Flores for Daboll I'm done. That list is awful minus Pederson and Bowles.

The Dolphins are the softest team in the NFL. Tua hater starting 12/11/22.

texanphinatictexanphinaticForum Veteran
Jan 11, 2022, 11:42 AM

The difference with Daboll is he took a great athlete and turned him into a great QB.

Philbin and Gase worked with established elite's, but didn't make them elite.

He's worth at least an interview because of the Tua connection, but he'd be lower on my list. I'm personally zeroed in on veterans to take the next step. Pederson, Caldwell and Allen all make sense.

SilverphinSilverphinForum Veteran
Jan 11, 2022, 11:52 AM

Awful?

Remember how bad Josh Allen was his first year?

"Destroyer wrote:

I swear if we fired Flores for Daboll I'm done. That list is awful minus Pederson and Bowles.

RoukRoukForum Veteran
Jan 11, 2022, 11:54 AM

TItirty8Forum Veteran
Jan 11, 2022, 12:31 PM
"Rouk wrote:

This might not be a bad idea. I think that some of the parts that we already have in place could mesh with the successes in SF.

I 100% think we could use Waddle like Deebo.

SF has found tons of success leaning on Kittle in the passing game. I don't think Gesicki is as complete as Kittle, but I think that some elements of the offense surely could transition toward his skillset.

I do not think that this would be a difficult transition.

The_Dark_KnightThe_Dark_KnightForum Veteran
Jan 11, 2022, 12:49 PM

Anyone hoping for an experienced head coach to take this job, don’t hold your breath or you’re going to pass out. Grier has created such a toxic environment in Miami and our Mr Magoo owner who knows as much about football as I do nuclear science is just being led by the nose by Grier.

I just hope that whoever Ross’ successor is Miami will be smart enough to bring in a FOOTBALL man to run the team and not some executive like we have now in Grier.

Who knows, maybe in the twilight of my life, lying in my hospital bed that I’ll in my man cave, I’ll get to see Miami play in the super Bowl and my dying words will be we won!!!

“The person you will spend the most time with in your life is yourself, so you better make sure you’re someone interesting”

Serpico JonesSerpico JonesForum Veteran
Jan 11, 2022, 01:30 PM

Mike McDaneil has a really good chance of ending up with the job for the simple fact that he’ll never walk up to the owner and tell him that he’s a moron. McDaniel looks like a quiet dweeb who won’t rock the boat and that’s exactly what Grier and Ross want.