1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miami's Next Opponent San Diego Chargers News

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fin Fan In Cali, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Punter Scifres happy to stay on sideline as the offense rolls

LaDainian Tomlinson and Antonio Gates said their big toes are better, yet it was a good idea to sit out Wednesday's practice.
    “It's time to be smart,” Gates said.
    Jamal Williams (knees), Jeremy Newberry (knee) and Kris Dielman (thigh) also did not practice.
    All are expected to practice Thursday.

Yet because he is still prone to mistakes at times, quarterbacks keep throwing his way. He has been targeted more that his counterpart, Quentin Jammer, in every game this season.
    Jammer is not happy about that.

2. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Chargers center ready to get back on his feet

There's a very real possibility Hardwick will return to the starting lineup Sunday – against the Raiders, of all teams – though the Chargers clearly will handle that assignment in much the same way they brought left tackle Marcus McNeill back into play Monday night. It's a decision best saved for the weekend.

3. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Looks like they are getting healthy just in time for us...at any rate, I hope they beat the Raiders so there is less pressure on them to beat us...I'm sure they look at the next two weeks as 'gimmes' but we'll see...

Fin Fan In Cali likes this.
  4. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Is it bad for me to wish LT, Vincent Jackson, and Chambers have a big game that week they play us? I've got to find a way to replace Plax's performance...:angry:

5. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    i think looking at the injury reports now is a waste of time. they play a game this weekend while we don't, so there could be new injuries, re-aggravations, etc on their part...

while i'm sure they'll handily beat the raiders, the raiders DO play smash-mouth football... they're not going to lay down.

6. fins4o8

fins4o8 Mac FTW!

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm in the same boat as you. I have LT & Sproles on my FFB teams. Call me evil and selfish but I hope they have a big day but we have a bigger day and win the game. :up:

7. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    All I know is, ever since I picked up Jerry Porter as a bye-week guy just for the Dolphins game last year, I've been starting or picking up whoever plays them. I feel guilty until I see the W. :no:

8. fins4o8

fins4o8 Mac FTW!

Nov 25, 2007
    me too bro but after a few beers, I lose that guilty feeling. :lol:

9. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

this is why i can't get into fantasy football. there is no way that i'm going to pick a guy who plays on a team against the dolphins and hope he does well.

10. fins4o8

fins4o8 Mac FTW!

Nov 25, 2007
    I was like that at first until I tried Yahoo Fantasy FB one year. I was addicted after that. I love football as the next person but I can dooze off esp after some beer. By playing FFB it makes watching game so much more entertaining and stressful if your team sucks *** for the week. Some ppl like to bet on football games so they enjoy watching the game more, for me its FFB.

Just try it. It's free and highly addictive. Not sure if you are a working professional or not but it helps you through a boring day at work.

11. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    it IS highly addictive, i'll agree on that. ;)

12. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Good finds John.

Like I said in Adam's thread, Jamal Williams has not been the same this season. He doesn't control the blockers anymore and isn't a disruptive force. He also doesn't help them in the rush defense category. He and the rest of the defense are giving up 5 yards a carry while our offensive line is giving our RB's a 4.4 yard per carry average. That could really be a weakness for them and I expect us to use it to our full advantage.

Their offensive line is indeed banged up and it shows. Marcus McNeil just came back against the Jets and now Hardwick is coming back but he'll be rusty. They haven't opened up holes for Tomlinson like last year but he has also been banged up. He can't make the same cuts that he made a year ago because of the toe injury. He can't stop and turn direction. Sproles has come in and sparked their offense though. He'll be an X-factor in the game because he also contributes on Special Teams. He's bringing the ball back about 30 yards or so on average. Our ST's is allowing a high number in that category, I think it was around 32. That and him catching balls out of the backfield could spell trouble for us.

I can understand why teams don't throw Jammer's way. Last year he had ten pass deflections and only one pick. However, he had seven dropped interceptions. However, Cromartie had ten interceptions last year as we all know but he does make mistakes as the article points out. The Chargers have never lost when Cromartie gets an interception. Teams will have to protect the ball against the Chargers. If they or we don't, we won't win.

Fin Fan In Cali likes this.
  13. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    With the WR crew we have, Cromartie and Jammer look like they have an easy day that game. When we lost to Arizona, they were fielding Eric Green and Roderick Hood, a combo that's not as good as SD's (not to mention Antoine Cason is a rookie that plays like a solid veteran right now). The chances of Cromartie making mistakes against a green WR that can't run good routes are much slimmer than against someone like Brandon Marshall.

14. fins4o8

fins4o8 Mac FTW!

Nov 25, 2007
    I hope we throw it Jammer's way because of his Will Allen like hands. I'm afraid of Cromartie because he is physical, has good hands and can run like a cheetah. Plus, I'm not sure if our WR are physical enough to fight for the ball.

15. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    it's stuff like this that makes me think we'll lose the SD game. i know i'm in the huge minority with that idea, but i just think talent-wise we a bit behind. our defense isn't up to the task of stopping powerful offenses. the only offense we shut down was new england's, who was running with an inexperienced game manager and missing their starting RBs and the core of their offense. Remember the Jets? they aren't nearly as powerful as the Chargers, and we simply could not stop them offensively. our DBs looked EPIC against the Pats b/c they didn't take any shots downfield. We didn't shutdown Randy Moss, he took himself out of the game. We didn't really stop Welker either, they just didn't throw to him too often. we got serious pressure on Cassel, but i think we'll be harder pressed to get to Rivers who is far more composed in the pocket, more mobile, and a far better QB.

i am just as happy as the next guy about our win in NE, but we need to temper that excitement and realize the circumstances of that game, which will not be the same when we play San Diego. :up:

16. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    That's true.

Honestly, I'm afraid of both. Keep throwing Jammer's way and he'll eventually make you pay for it. Same goes for Cromartie.

17. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    I'm in the same boat too. The real reason we stood up to Cassel was the pressure. He couldn't make his reads and couldn't get the ball out accurately. It was all the DL in that game. We got in his face and we even got our sole int of the year from the DL. And we're talking about a QB who hasn't started more than half a season since high school. I saw a few early plays out of Moss that if you have Brady or even a Pennington, it could've gone for 6. Eventually Moss just gave up after those first few plays. Vincent Jackson could bully Will Allen with his size the way Fitz did and Chambers will go nuts if he's put on Goodman or even Allen. We have to bring the pressure to Rivers, the guy Dan Marino had high praise for when he scouted for us as VP, or else we're in deep dung. And I haven't even talked about Gates or LT yet. I hope we win but I'm iffy.

18. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    A blind squirrel gets the nut once in a while. Jammer's due. Speaking of, where'd you get the stat about the 7 dropped interceptions?

19. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Bro do not under estimate this offensive line. They can pick there game up. Also one problem with Sproles is that you can't see him, because he is so short, and when you do pick him up he is through the hole with his speed. Need to be very careful of that, along with LT if he gets healthy.

20. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I think that the offensive line is good, no doubt but they may be rusty. Yeah, Sproles is a pain in the arse when he's on the field.

Saw it in one of Lombardi's articles.

21. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I don't see how you'd be in the minority here, SD is the better team. I expect we're all hoping that their jet lag is huge and that we could pull out a win but IMO they are the best team on our schedule.

22. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Look at pics, and you will see Sproles has huge thighs for a RB.:wink2:

23. fins4o8

fins4o8 Mac FTW!

Nov 25, 2007
    You guys rem our Game against Mini Hercules aka Jones-Drew? We couldn't tackle that guy due to his size and speed. I can see the same for Sproles.

About Jammer or Crom, you have to pick your poison. I would rather us pick on Jammer but Regan made a good statement on:

On Jammer's hands, the commentators of last weeks game were mentioning Jammer has dropped a lot of potential INT's.

Anyone wanna bet Chambers will have a pro-bowl performance against us? You know he is going to Rivers and telling him to throw it to him for some payback.

24. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    i've been quiet on my opinion on that game, but gauging from what everyone else is saying, there sure is a lot of optimism on this board. ;)

25. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I think that if we run the ball successfully and heavily rush Rivers (and force him into turnovers), I think we will be in this game. If we don't do those things at the least, it'll be over quickly.

26. fins4o8

fins4o8 Mac FTW!

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm a total homer and one of the few who actually likes our chances against SD. If we feed off from last weeks win and continue the lvl of play, execute & no grandpa playcalling, I like our chances even more. :up:

27. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    The sig words are ****ing hilarious. Yet, it wouldn't be a bad idea - it would definitely increase business.

fins4o8 likes this.
  28. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    The chargers dont scare me...i think their a primadonna team, they think there better then what they are, LT has really turned into something that i never though he would. He really has changed, I dont know how rivers completes a pass with that delivery, we get pressure on him hes done...I think we were gonna shock the world...

29. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

I want them all to be on the field, no excuses, you can only be the best when you've beaten the best.:up::knucks:

30. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    San Diego Chargers Football Schedule, Roster and Statistics

I didn't realize you were trying to get me to say something. Heck, it might be a mistake. I see both sides. No one thinks more highly of Shawne Merriman than I do. I have simply outlined why it is the Chargers won't re-sign him ... Also, another of my favorite players: Quentin Jammer. He is a better all-around cover corner than Cromartie right now, but you have to love the way Cromartie can change a game. And Cromartie is rapidly improving his consistency and his tackling.
    -- Kevin Acee

alen1 likes this.
  31. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    CHARGERS NOTES: Cromartie honored for big game : North County Times - Californian

SAN DIEGO ---- Chargers cornerback Antonio Cromartie was named AFC Defensive Player of the Week on Wednesday, two days after intercepting two passes and accumulating a career-best nine tackles against the New York Jets.

Cromartie returned one of the interceptions 52 yards for a touchdown in an impressive rebound performance far better than his showing eight days earlier in Denver.

32. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
  33. fins4o8

fins4o8 Mac FTW!

Nov 25, 2007
    i have to admit everytime i read anything about Cromartie or Willis, it depresses me.

34. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    The chargers are a better team, make no mistake about it. Do we have a chance? Of course. If we get Ricky and Ronnie to run wild, have Pennington have an efficient game, keep their Offense off the field, dont let chambers burn us :D and attack their O when they're on the field. We have a chance.

Lets hope the heat gets them a bit.

35. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    Same here it is always Miami and then FFB. I can't root for an opponent to have a big game when I watch the games to see Miami win.

36. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I'm expecting a big game from Chambers but I keep thinking that he only has six receptions. Sure he has four touchdowns this season on those six receptions but he doesn't seem to be getting a lot of balls his way. The Chargers seem to be trying to spread the ball around. They have four guys who have more receptions than Chambers. I wonder how it will affect our defense if they continue to spread the ball around instead of going to their main weapons.

37. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    The guy has always had higher TD/Reception ratio (until of course the nasty last year Miami). Coming out with Steve Smith and Chad Johnson, his TD numbers were quite good. Since coming out in 2001 he has 51 TDs. CJ 49. Steve Smith 37.

CJ has him smoked with yards though at 8500, but SS only has 6,000. CC 6,400.

Also, he doesn't get many passes because the ones he does, he takes to the house. 25 ypc is damn good. :D He's on pace for 800 yards and 21 TDs. As unrealistic and lopsided that extrapolation is ... I'd take that in Miami!

alen1 likes this.
  38. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Interesting. Wasn't aware of the statistics. We've had abysmal QB's during his time here so those numbers are quite impressive.

jdang307 likes this.
  39. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
  40. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    wait, I thought Porter won AFC DPOW?