1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Michael Egnew

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ckparrothead, Aug 23, 2012.

1. His'nBeatYour'n

His'nBeatYour'n Glass Ceiling Repairman

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    Here is the problem. Wake was the last guy to EXCEED expectations because he was a CFL FA. Pouncey started all last season, because that was expected of a mid first round center.

To EXCEED expectations a 3rd rounder has to play as well as a 1st rounder is expected to. How often does that happen in the NFL? Out of the last 200 players taken in the draft this year how many are wowing the NFL right now? Take that % and apply it to the last 10 Dolphins drafts, and I doubt the Dolphins are as behind the NFL average as you think.

Glass half empty.

ckparrothead and MrClean like this.
  2. His'nBeatYour'n

His'nBeatYour'n Glass Ceiling Repairman

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    But.... on Hard Knocks Sherman said he would cut Egnew right now if he was GM. That statement means more than facts.

Egnew sucks, Ireland sucks. Sherman for GM!

MrClean, Mexphin, Stitches and 2 others like this.
  3. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I went ahead and recorded all his snaps from the Carolina game. I'm reminded that he has a ways to go in some areas, but also reminded that he's got some talent.

He seems to have trouble getting open vertically against man coverage but when you're asking him to make a lateral cut to get open against man, he does it with regularity. Given his Missouri background, he could go out there and run option routes all day if you wanted him to. He was a compelling target in the back of the end zone on the play I screen capped against Tampa. If you split him out to the perimeter and you get the right look from the defense, you can run screens to him all day and it'll be like a run play. If he's open on a stick route in the red zone and you're able to get the ball in there he can certainly catch it with consistency while defenders are draped on him.

And you know what? His blocking against Carolina was pretty good, except for one play. And I'm NOT talking about the play he got yelled at for.

4. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Egnew won't be cut because he was a third round draft pick and the Dolphins certainly can't afford to admit another mistake on a relatively high draft pick. If he had been a 6th or 7th round draft selection, I don't think he would have a chance of making the team, based on his play in preseason so far.

He came out of Missouri with the idea that he would be the Dolphins receiving TE. He certainly wasn't drafted because of him limited blocking skills. Because of his draft position, Egnew will have the opportunity to improve over this coming year and show that he isn't the typical TE from Missouri. That being a TE who was outstanding in college and who became a bust in the NFL. Hopefully Egnew will improve as the year goes along and become the TE the Dolphins thought he would be when they drafted him. If he doesn't improve, I don't see him as a member of Dolphins beyond this coming season.

5. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    If he were a 6th or 7th round pick, hell if he were a UDFA, he would still make this team. He is the 3rd best tight end on a team and teams typically keep 3 tight ends. He is the 4th most productive rookie tight end in all preseason right now. He's the 20th most productive tight end in preseason, period. If you figure that each of the 32 teams mainly sends two tight ends out to catch passes, that means's he's 31st percentile in the league.

6. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Which of course was because of Gabbert leaving. Egnew was his security blanket the year before.

ToddPhin likes this.
  7. MrClean

So, had we taken Jimmy Graham in 2010, you'd be lamenting his lack of immediate impact during training camp too? The first half of his rookie season he caught 5 passes for like 49 yards. Folks around here would have been crying and whining about how that damned Ireland had wasted our 3rd round pick on a one dimensional TE.

EDIT: Jimmy's rookie preseason saw him catch 5 passes for 34 yards, with 4 of them coming in the final game. I can just imagine the reactions around here. :pity:

sports24/7, SICK, dolfan32323 and 2 others like this.
  8. MrClean

Even now though, he really ain't what one could call understrength much considering his long lanky build. 21 reps on the bench for his body type ain't bad. At the Mizzou Pro day he vertical jumped 37.5" and 11'3" in the broad jump indicates fine lower body explosion, which ya can't have without some muscle development down there.

ToddPhin likes this.
  9. MrClean

No biggie, I expect him to keep posting from the other side of the River Styx. :shifty:

ToddPhin likes this.
  10. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Exactly, I'm more or less lamenting the fact that the vets aren't gushing about him being difficult to cover.

That let's cut him stuff is crazy talk, line him up wide from a two Te set and watch him hopefully do some things..hopefully.

11. gandalfin

gandalfin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Kissimmee, Florida
    I wish our team would improve with the rapidity of your sigs! :yes:

MrClean likes this.
  12. MrClean

Biggest negatives I would say are, doesn't run precise routes consistently, and is not a physical blocker, but rather is more of just a get in the way or wall off blocker, at best.

Negatives according to PFW:

13. MrClean

You nailed it pretty much. It seems to me he was generally an outlet receiver.

ToddPhin likes this.
  14. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    You can go even further and look at Graham's pre-season contribution through week 2 his rookie season, which was a reception for 6 yards.

15. MrClean

So Carolina's first team defense was a fake defense? Ok, thanks for clearing that up.

ToddPhin likes this.
  16. MrClean

Let's not cloud the issue with pure facts now...that ain't fair. :shifty:

Fin D likes this.
  17. MrClean

Yet, that didn't stop from expressing grave concern over Egnew in earlier posts.

ToddPhin likes this.
  18. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Great point, McLean.
    I still think he needs to add a few pounds & build up his core strength a bit, but the initial pop/jolt [from the explosion you referenced] should initially be good enough to get the job done when on the move, no?

As an inline blocker though, Egnew IMO lacks the core strength to sustain the block after his initial jolt. Even though he has great lower body explosion, his jolt won't have as much power behind it vs a larger DE b/c he lacks the ideal mass needed to convert that explosive jolt into greater force. However, when he gets up to 265ish, has a stronger core, and is in his "man body", his outstanding explosion could make him a solid all-around blocker, no?

MrClean likes this.
  19. MrClean

We have a BINGO!!! :yes:

20. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    thanks.... but the explosion numbers you referenced in combination with his size are more telling about the type of blocker he has the ability to become, no?...... and hopefully the balance and body control he has as a receiver will translate over to being able to mirror and sustain blocks. ???

MrClean likes this.
  21. MrClean

Sometimes I think you'd complain if you were hung with a new rope. :cry:

Maybe it's just me, but I'd say a rookie QB with only 19 college starts coming out and posting a 82.3 passer rating over his first 2 games and throwing no picks is a reason to feel at least a little optimistic.

22. MrClean

I think he was drafted because both Philbin and Sherm run TE heavy offenses. We needed more talented depth there. Neither he or Clay can phase out Fasano when they don't come close to possessing his skill set.
    Did you see Fasano drive block the great Charles Johnson a couple of yards into the end zone when Lane was picking up that 3rd and 1? They should make a clip of it to show Martin over and over. "Now Jonathan, this is how we block DEs like Johnson."

Bpk and ToddPhin like this.
  23. MrClean

Sherman had just watched Full Metal Jacket on TV the night before, and he thought he'd try a little Sgt Hartman spiel on Egnew to fire him up. ;)

24. MrClean

I think he can build his core strength too, and considering the basis he has to work with, that's really pretty encouraging.

ToddPhin likes this.
  25. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Egnew definitely seemed like a great security blanket for Missou QBs. His 90 catches significantly helped out Gabbert, and I'm guessing Gab had more confidence in himself with Egnew as a target.

I don't think sophomore QB James Franklin was the 140 QBR passer that his rating would indicate, and considering Missou ranked 9th nationally in rushing (589 carries, 5.4 avg) but only 64th in passing, and Egnew was 4 receptions shy of leading the team, I'm guessing the 140 QBR was more of a testament to both Egnew and the ground game's effectiveness than just Franklin himself.

Bpk and MrClean like this.
  26. MrClean

I agree with all of that. I'd not expect to see the improvement in blocking to really manifest itself until next season though. Also, I think Dan Campbell is an ideal coach to get that aspect out of Egnew. He was a TE who survived in the league a long time largely for his ability as an inline blocker.

Bpk and ToddPhin like this.
  27. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Oh, I agree.... and lol at the Martin stuff.
    I wasn't referring to Fasano being phased out immediately but rather in a year or two depending on how quickly Egnew develops. I think he was drafted for both of our reasons--- b/c we'll run TE heavy offenses AND because Egnew seems like he might be a better fit as Philbin's primary TE once he develops.

If Egnew develops in a year, then IMO we're not likely to re-sign Fasano, but if he's not quite there I could see us franchising Fasano to buy an extra year, then move Egnew to #1 in 2014, keep Clay as #2, and then draft a TE to become the #3 (unless one of our guys develops). I just don't see us drafting a 3rd round TE with the belief that he'll permanently be the #3 guy.

Marve, let me ask you, if you're creating the ideal TE for Philbin's offense, who would he most resemble, and how closely would Fasano resemble your prototype?

MrClean likes this.
  28. MrClean

Well, if you ask me, I'd say Gronkowski is the prototype TE for about any offense.

smahtaz and ToddPhin like this.
  29. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Outside of Superman. :lol:

Out of Fasano & Egnew, I'd think Egnew would have the greater potential to develop into that type of TE than Fasano, but that's just my opinion.

30. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    I like Fasano Putz, but franchise tagged?? Not happening. That's top 5 $$.

31. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I like Fasano, too, you putz.

32. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Like? Hell you want to give him top 5 money!!

It's official. Your identity has been confirmed. There is zero doubt in my mind that YOU sir are Jeff Ireland himself.

ToddPhin likes this.
  33. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Egnew should be watching everyone of Jimmy Graham's plays , it should be mandatory . He should be stalking him on his IPad .

34. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

I'm all for moving Egnew to WR at this point.

Bpk likes this.
  35. MrClean

He won't develop into a solid contributor any faster if he's moved to WR.

ToddPhin likes this.
  36. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Why? A guy who can't block worth a **** and lines up mostly in a 2-point stance and/or out wide is pretty much still within present day boundaries for the position.

37. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Mr C, keep that one all season. I can't see that being improved upon.

My god.

38. thisperishedmin

thisperishedmin Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I think its pretty obvious in the case of Egnew that hes being painted to a certain perception for the sake of hard knocks. Hes flashing talent, and I think he will shape up to be a damn good receiving option with some time.

Between hard knocks, and our "draft perception" - we're generally expecting more than is reasonable from him this early. We're all convinced we got a 1st round steal - may or may not be the case, but for now - hes a rookie learning a new system and some new **** - too early to call it out.

Reminds me of everyone screaming for Fasanos head last preseason (and maybe this one too haha).

Now - all of that said - **** does he look overwhelmed and confused in film - but my read is thats just how he is. Hell, I've been told I always look confused and spaced out and I'm awesome, so I'll give the man the benefit of the doubt. Maybe the booze is talking at this point.

39. MrClean

I think the previous one was the most beautiful of all, but this one has a Dolphins theme, so more fitting for the forum and she is also beautiful herself. Wish the pic was more clear. I reduced the size because of that.

40. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Anyone else's eyes quickly drawn to the Dolphins logo? :shifty: