1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Michael Lombardi-Next QB change in Miami

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by jpep13, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I don't think Penny throws that beautiful first pass vs Minny. Other than that, he's at least as good IMO.
    I still firmly stand on playing someone who is almost as good as Penny if you truly believe he will surpass Penny (albeit slowly). Think long-term here, not short term.
    If you firmly believe that Henne can NOT get any better than he is right now, then I believe you should push for Penny to start.

This regime is going youth with potential over vets in most of our positions, I hope QB follows suit.

2. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Dink and dunk gets us killed in the playoffs, plain and simple.
    Why not try to develop the QB who can potentially win in the playoffs, if you let him try that is.

3. Da-PhinZ

Da-PhinZ New Member

May 9, 2010
    Menifee
    Really, play penny because the play calls are more suited for him?This may sound crazy but ,why not just choose calls suited for your starting QB?

There is no way pulling henne for penny would scare Henne or disrupt the team, no way.

Towards the end of last season henne was doing good, being a leader and making throws. I think there were signs of a slow start in henne via the pre-season, and the coaches made game plans to ease Henne into the job. I'm confident that Henne has the right stuff, anyone who watched our first jets match up would know it.

Yes he has to work on reading the defense and his wr's faster, along with better decision making but he has not even played a full season yet, so give him a few games to warm up.

If Henne turns out not to be"the" guy, I'm not going to cry about it, but if they pull him for penny, game five and we have a winning record, i will extremely disappointed in this team. :pity:

4. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Trent Dilfer is the Godwin's law of the NFL.

jdang307 and padre31 like this.
  5. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    These forums love it when the FO holds players accountable ... except if it comes to Henne. We made fun of Sanchez when he only threw for 74 yards (with 0 INTs) but Henne only throws for a little over 100. Sure it was with a better percentage but still.

You say 2-0 as a starter, I say bull. He scored 7 points. They scored 10. Our defense if anything is 2-0. Henne hasn't won us any games. He just hasn't lost any either. That isn't good enough.

Replace him with Pennington? Hell no. Lombardi is 100% wrong about that. But Henne has not been impressive in any way.

gafinfan, CaribPhin and padre31 like this.
  6. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    :lol::lol:

Of all fan bases we should know that to be true, how many years were wasted with Jay Fedler at Qb while the Defense was very good (they used to wear out in the 4th qtr to often imho) that supposedly would take the Dolphins to the Super Bowl..just like Dilfer did with the Ravens...

Believe me when I say Chad Henne has no bigger fan than moi, you have to score easy points to win in the NFL, not every drive should be a Bataan Death March to the red zone to kick a field goal.

That said, I'm not so sure Pennington would have to manage such drives, we have better Wide Receivers now than in 08.

Coral Reefer likes this.
  7. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    I think the only logical reason he could say this is because our powers that be won't live and die by any one guy. Sanchez could lead the Jets into the depths of hell, and they'd still start him.

That said, Henne hasn't played nearly poor enough to warrant this.

8. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    Going for 0 picks in a stadium where he threw 3 last year against 2009's 2nd best pass defense in the NFL is impressive.

Not turning the ball over 1 time in a stadium that is the terrordome for most visiting QBs is also pretty impressive.

Sure, I would love to see 5 TD passes at this point, but I ain't gonna knock what got us to 2-0.

9. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    :up:

10. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

What's the advantage in that? There are no extra points for style in the NFL, so pulling one of the eight remaining undefeated QBs makes no sense to me at all.

I agree most of us fans would love a QB that wins games, but according to CP10, a young QB that doesn’t lose games is the most important trait moving forward.

http://www.wqam.com/index.php?page=727

11. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    Don't buy it. If they really felt that way, then there's no way they would have had Penny as the #3 QB and Thigpen #2. If they pulled Henne for Penny, then Thigpen can't play and with as frail as Pennington is, it's just russian roulette. Can Henne step it up, yes, but two wins on the road and protecting the ball instead of just chunking it up for Marshall and turning it over? Easy choice.

12. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    I think henne's ONLY problem is dan henning. This is ridiculous. He's 9-6 as a starter. Im not complaining.

13. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Honestly, because Pennington is here, I dont think it will ever stop. I was saying this in preseason, as long as Pennington is on the bench, the media isn't going to stop about Henne. Every little miss, every little mistake will be blown up 300 times what it is.

We're 2 and 0, and people are writing crap about our QB. Makes sense? Sure...

14. finfaninilinois

finfaninilinois Active Member

Nov 29, 2009
    here is another example we had 1 and 10 from somewhere around the vikes 40 1 down got sacked and lost eight (we all remember this right) the next to plays we ran the ball - they didnt even trust him enough to pass and try to pick up 15 yards to get in field goal range. dont give the field position **** because the defense was HOWLING

15. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    While I think he needs a few more games. I honestly do not get the vibe he is "HUNGRY" he plays well enough to be the starter right now yes. But I never see him get MAD in someones face for missing a route or firing up the guys..

Dan and Pennington even got the boys in line Henne needs to grow a pair and LEAD the damn team..

The Bigger Problem is going to be Marshall He isn't going to be very happy with his touches and or a QB who plays timid.. I need to look up his stats the last few years this HASSSSSSSSS to be his slowest start I would assume..

16. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    No ****ing way, Mike! We have Chad Pennington?!?

17. Makados10

Makados10 Active Member

Apr 24, 2010
    Chad Henne in week 5 against the Jets last year was 20 for 26, 241 yards and 2 TDs.

He has proven he can do it. We need him to do it again :up:

18. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Pennington can make the throw against Minny. He cannot make the Fasano throw.

19. Phinatic425

Phinatic425 MIA State of Mind

Feb 19, 2010
    Upper Left Corner
    Lombardi has us ranked 3rd in power rankings so I find it wierd that he would say that.

20. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

If there is one FO I can see biting the bullet and doing something like that, it would be this one. Now, if I honestly think that they would do it is another story. This kid hasn't blowed (thanks, Emmitt) anyone away, but he hasn't had a meltdown. Kolb had a shaky start and so did Campbell. Henne has played a top 5 pass Defense and a top 3 D-line, I think he gets some more games. And besides, he's ineffective relative to Peyton Manning but the guy has done what they wanted him to do. Make necessary throws and keep possession. If they threw him out there and said air it out but he failed then maybe.

DePhinistr8 likes this.
  21. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Problem is none of those teams have a backup as good as Chad Pennington. I like Penny but no bloody way this should happen. None. This is setting up for Henne to rip through NYJ. No Revis, Pace likely out again. Ill take my chances.

22. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    bull. Penne's throw in preseason was a lame duck that Marshall caught because he outjumped the DBs, not because he was hit in stride.
    and I agree on your 2nd point.

23. finfaninilinois

finfaninilinois Active Member

Nov 29, 2009
    i am tired of hearing that about marshal getting pissed about touches - HE HAS BEEN TARGETED 21 %$## times already - just about 50 percent of henne's throws - so stop with the damn marshal's touches ****

24. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Which still would have been a catch for the same amount of yards.

25. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    he's full of it.

Vinny Fins likes this.
  26. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    Man, if we could just combine Pennington's head with Henne's arm and Thigpen's legs we'd have one helluva QB! :lol:

In all seriousness, people just need to be patient on the Henne. Hey...we're 2-0 people. The only stat that matters is the "W." Two wins and no turn overs. So, let's give this kid a chance. Hey, he's gonna make mistakes. But, if he learns from them and grows as a QB (and a leader), well that's what it's all about.

Oh yeah, and I could give a fat rats a** what anyone outside of that locker room says about anyone on our team. I hope all the talking heads keep criticizing our guys. While we keep kinking a** and taking names. :up:

JMHO...

27. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    I guess being 2-0 in the first 2 weeks of the season just doesn't cut it anymore. I guess he should be 3-0 or maybe 4-0 I mean we are two weeks into the season I would figure by now he would of gotten us a playoff berth. I saw we bring back John Beck back now there was a QB that could play.
    :shifty::shifty:

28. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    Your forgetting ever signal one of these qbs has a superbowl ring and they are going to the HOF.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................sarcasm

29. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Agreed completely.

There is something wrong with our O.

I don't care what any of you want to say about playing ultra conservative being a great strategy this team has concocted. This is a league of talent and you will never be a top team going deep into the playoffs if you are unwilling or unable to attack aggressively.

You don't go into an away game against a top playoff team with a QB that can score points in the blink of an eye and expect to win sitting on a 7 point lead. It's lunacy. Our defense bailed us out with STELLAR play but we've seen what happens to a great defense with no offensive support during the Feidler years. They tire out and break at some point.

Either Henning is so conservative at his core that the modern game and it's more attacking style has left him behind a little OR the staff has serious reservations about Henne.

I will say after watching the 1st two games over again that I am noticing receivers being open as they break out of a route into it's final area and Henne making late throws to them. A couple in the Minnesota game to Marshall are blatantly obvious. If he's having issues with being able to make quick enough decisions that may very well be why they are not letting the offense loose. If it contines we may very well see Pennington take over. I don't think they should because good or bad the kid is going to have to cut his teeth, but we may see it.

I don't think there is anything wrong with Lombardi's piece.
    Many of us have already been talking about this very thing.

padre31 and Dol-Fan Dupree like this.
  30. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    I was living in Cape Cod Massachusetts during Brady's rise to power. He certainly wasn't lighting anything up. It was grind it out games just like Henne's going through.

Good thing Sparano and Henning couldn't care less about what we or the media think.

31. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Few things:

1. Can't have a QB of the future if we don't allow him to play in the present.

B. Last I checked, Penny is on an 0-4 losing skid with 2 TDs, 6 INTs, 166 YPG, and a QB rating under 70. Maybe this should be in boldface words and jumbo sized. :dunno:

C. Henne is 2-0 with 1TD, 0 INTs, 148 YPG, and a QB rating of 85. Anyone care to do the math on how much better this TD to INT ratio is verses Penny's? (Plus a chunk of Penny's yards came via prevent D) Now tell me who seems more "Pennylike". Also last I checked, Penny took us to the playoffs in 08 by beating a schedule FULL of the worst defenses in the league. Big deal. What have you done for us lately? Yeah, let's bench Henne & dub Penny as the savior of a season in which we're currently undefeated. What kind of f'n backwards thinking is that?! Henne has victories over Brady, the AFC Champion losing Jets twice, the NFC Champion losing Vikes once, and he's shown the capability of airing it out if needed. Despite having more opportunities (games played) Penny has victories over ONLY 1 playoff team, the 8-8 Chargers, and he lit it up with 17 points. :yawn: Noodle arm Penny is not the arm I wan't to rely on if we're playing from a deficit.

4. 14 passes? Who cares?! Considering the state of our pass-catchers prior to the Vikes game, I'll gladly take a 14 pt lead at Minne ALL SEASON LONG despite 14 passes. If the Saints knew they could pass 14 times and beat the Vikes, I bet they would take it hands down! As amazing as Brees is, their passing game in 09 still turned the ball over twice as many times as their ground game, so less passes means less chance to lose a turnover.

Therefore, I see ZERO reason for putting a team in the hands of a young, still-learning QB when we have an Oline & running backs built for pounding the football to coincide with a physical, dominating defense meant for attacking & creating turnovers.

Henne's doing exactly what we want him to do; he's giving us a chance to win which allows our defense the ability to stay fresh & continue attacking away. If we pass less and run the ball more, we can hopefully control the TOP, which means our defense can continue operating on a high level throughout the entire game.

E. No disrespect, but I love how some of you guys automatically assume Henne is the reason we're not throwing more-- that the FO lacks confidence in him b/c of our "lack of passing attempts".

HOW ABOUT the fact that:
    1. we traded Cam
    2. have 2 rookie FAs WRs
    3. have a 2nd year #2 who dropped more balls than he caught during preseason & week 1
    4. have a TE who averages 263 yards/season
    5. who the F knows at 2nd string TE
    6. Brandon Marshall who I'm guessing still needs some time to gel with Chad.

Of course NONE of this could cause a lack of confidence in wanting to pass more. :shifty: (if the "lack of confidence" excuse even exists)

Ohio Fanatic, Scrub and The G Man like this.
  32. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Sure..... let's start the QB who hasn't seen a real game since beginning last season 0-3. :up: That's beyond illogical IMO.

33. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    He also has an 85.1 QBR, zero turnovers and 2 road wins to start the season. Is that "frigging poor"?

Didn't think so.

34. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    C'mon guys. Everyone knows if Pennington were QB we'd be 4-0 right now.

DePhinistr8 likes this.
  35. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    5-0...don't sell him short

HardKoreXXX likes this.
  36. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Pennington wasn't even active Sunday and is not the backup QB.
    Clown shoes :lol:

37. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    My favorite thing about this whole debate is that if Penny were the starter, his numbers would most likely be near identical to Henne's and people would be jumping off rooftops.

38. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I think we can have 2/3 of that combination, but it will require that we give Henne about two more full years of starting experience. Until then Henne is still part of the reason we're 2-0. He's still completing over 60% of his passes and he's not turning the ball over. The most anybody can complain about is that he may have missed the opportunity on some (not all) of the few big plays they gave him a chance at. If they want more big plays they are going to have to give him some more opportunities. Its not like CP or any other QB for that matter hits on every big play opportunity. Unless Henne starts playing markedly worse or we sign the next reincarnation of Marino (ie a guy so talented that he's an obvious upgrade after sitting on the bench for 5 games) I see no reason to alter the plan.

39. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Their first year the offense was scoring a ton of points. We so far, are not, It's only 2 games. So let's see.

Tom's first year of starting, 2002, he was tearing it up through the air. So I'm not sure what you are talking about.

40. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    A player has to do more than just have no negative plays. He has to do something for you.

I think the conservative mentality of Sparano and Henning is the real problem. We’re not going to be 2-0 forever.