1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Michael Preston vs Rishard Matthews

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DolphinGreg, Aug 5, 2015.

1. DolphinGreg

DolphinGreg Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 7, 2014
    Fin4Ever likes this.
  2. dirtylandry

dirtylandry Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Landry, Jennings, Stills, Parker, Matthews and Preston. Am I missing anyone? We will keep 6 right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fin4Ever likes this.
  3. bbqpitlover

bbqpitlover Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Maine
    If he makes the team, please change the jersey number!!!

MikeHoncho likes this.
  4. Fin4Ever

Fin4Ever Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    This year, we keep six because they will not rush Stills, or Parker back to early.:yes:

MikeHoncho and rafael like this.
  5. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    That's my thought as well.

the 23rd and Fin4Ever like this.
  6. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    Matt Hazel?

I've always liked Mathews; with more snaps I think he could really be effective. We shall see. Important preseason games for the WR depth, who will have chances given the injuries.

On a related note, I'm a proponent of starting Parker on the reg season PUP. But that's a conversation for another time I suppose.

calfishman and Fin4Ever like this.
  7. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
  8. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    We have a plethora of talent at the position. Unfortunately we can't keep them all, though I do hope a few end up on the practice squad.

9. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

I watched the Finsiders interview of Preston on the site...comes across as a very good kid, easy to pull for.

Bpk, Fin4Ever and Rocky Raccoon like this.
  10. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't think it's really think it's an either or- They'll keep Matthews and they'll carry another WR if Preston is too good to cut.

Matthews is too good to cut for the cost/performance he provides. He's at least a stopgap starter quality player at a developmental paygrade. There's a reason why three personnel guys have kept him around despite him wanting out and Philbin not liking him.

the 23rd, gunn34, dolfan22 and 3 others like this.
  11. Phoenician Fan

Phoenician Fan Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Matthews is a 6th round draft pick waiting to happen. He has trade value imo.

12. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    That cupboard will not be bare...

13. JDelenne

JDelenne Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I just got done watching the interview with Preston. I really hope he makes it, easy guy to root for. Really looking forward to seeing him on the field in the preseason.

Fin4Ever and DolphinGreg like this.
  14. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Keeping a 6th WR will likely cost the offense one of it's RBs then.

Because we can't afford to cut another O-linemen with the number of question marks along the O-line, so if we carry that extra WR it comes out of the RBs column.

15. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I don't think we'll keep 6..Throw Preston on the practice squad..

it goes down just like we thought, matthews is too talented, 2nd year in system, hands are too good, and stills will be ready come regular season.

16. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Cool interview. Hard not to root for the guy. Can anyone provide a scouting report on Preston? Maybe some pros and cons? The only thing I really know about him is he's 6'5" and has special teams experience. That and he's having a strong camp.

If Miami carries 5 WR, Matthews has to be the guy Miami keeps. Outside of Landry, Matthews is the only other receiver with experience with Lazor's offense. Not to mention chemistry with Tannehill. Matthews is less risky. I'm w/others who think carrying six WR is probably the call, given injuries to Parker and Stills. Their injuries may not be serious, but Jennings has an injury history too. Better to be safe than sorry, especially if Preston can contribute to special teams.

17. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    Not if Parker is on the PUP list til week 6. I think that's the wisest move: don't rush a young kid back from a "re-surgeried" foot; he's a rookie at a position with a steep learning curve anyways who will have had very little if any reps in camp; his route running isn't great to begin with and is probably his biggest shortcoming; and we have the luxury of this depth to make his absence less of a dire situation. (I include Cameron in this 'depth' as well, given that he will be split out or in the slot a fair amount, and can potentially be a redzone difference-maker like Parker.)

If Parker isn't healthy enough to go in any preseason games, I'd sit him for the first month and a half. It's tough because he supposedly looked really good when he was out there, but I think we should take the slow approach with this type of injury, in part because we can afford to.

18. dirtylandry

dirtylandry Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2015
    After Preston's interview on Finsiders yesterday, you can't help but root for the kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fin4Ever likes this.
  19. DolphinGreg

Dec 7, 2014
    I think that at this point we have to begin to ask ourselves if Matthews is incapable of rising above the number 4 or 5 guy on the depth chart. As much as people like his physical attributes, he's really not shown that much to this point and with multiple seasons to climb aboard he's still as low on the rankings as he's ever been. The fact the team brought in all the talent it did at WR with Matthews already here is pretty damning as well.

I'm wondering if it's not time to let Matthews go and start developing someone new. It's kind of ridiculous in my book to look at Matthews limited reps and say he's that much more valuable for us than anyone else. Whatever QB/WR relationship exist, Preston (on his current trajectory) will easily match within a year's time. Moreover, Preston's attitude seems to be far more team-oriented than Matthews based on what we've seen.

I'm not saying I dislike Matthews. I'm saying we might have to make a tough call and in this case I think Preston might be every bit as good as Matthews, with a better attitude. Plus, Matthews has already had plenty of shots where as Preston is getting his first and really delighting people.

20. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    Great points. For me it's all about attitude. Matthews is a diva only without the resume.

21. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Is that you Preston?

22. JDelenne

JDelenne Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I dont really know how the Practice Squad works, but is Preston even available to be put on it if it came to that?

This will be his 3rd season in the NFL, he has 10 games played/active.

23. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    Busted.

24. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    when did Matthews ever acted like a diva ? because he asked for a trade, because he wants to play ?

25. Fin4Ever

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    Imho, this one is on Philbin...Matthews should have been our 2 a few years ago, over Hartline.

26. DolphinGreg

Dec 7, 2014
    I certainly wish that to this point we knew more about Matthews but I'm not going to sit here and say anything that implies I know more than Philbin.

The reports from fans have been that Matthews is rather...how do I put this...slow. So maybe the coaches just don't trust that he understands his responsibilities as well as he should?

Physical size isn't everything, right? That's the whole Landry discussion. In Matthews case I think he's being held back by something else. To this point, it's not clear what that is but if it's not going to happen (and especially if Matthews thinks he can be more successful elsewhere) it seems like the two parties should just go their separate ways.

At this point, there's sufficient talent in Miami that none of us are worried about having to replace Matthews. If Preston is out there in camp making a big impression day after day and he's doing interviews like the one I posted, Matthews has to be in jeopardy of losing his job. At least one would think so.

27. Fin4Ever

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    The Dolphins, more than likely, will keep Matthews and Preston...if you will take notice, Matthews had another big day in camp. Why do you have to mention his learning capacity? Just Curious. And, in no way do I think I know more than Philbin but in My almost 55 years I have seen a lot of great QB/WR combos, so that helps. Tannehill and Matthews play great together..every time he gets a chance, he makes plays. I am not worried either..for a long spell, we had to always worry about finding quality receivers, we don't have to worry about that now.:up:

28. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    I kind of agree here, actually. Every time I see Matthews get consistent reps, to me he passes the eyeball test. Looks like a solid NFL player.

Clark Kent and Fin4Ever like this.
  29. shamegame13

shamegame13 Madison & Surtain

Dec 15, 2014
    Didnt Matthews have a 200 yard multi TD game on Thursday Night football a couple of years ago and never really saw an opportunity after that?

30. A13OVEAVERAGE

A13OVEAVERAGE Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 13, 2013
    Frostproof, FL
    Matthews is a lock at the 5th WR spot on this team, the only thing that will change that is if there was some type of trade involving him or an injury. Michael Preston vs Matt Hazel is where the real competition is.. with Preston holding a slight edge at the moment. Preston runs good routes and can high point the ball well with his height. Hazel is also a much improved route runner this season and he catches the ball cleanly. Both have worked well with Ryan Tannehill and Matt Moore, the QBs seem comfortable with them. Matthews is in another category though, they aren't at his level right now.

31. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    No. He had 120 and 2TDs on a Monday night.

32. DolphinGreg

Dec 7, 2014
    This is not meant as a personal attack on any single person’s view, and this won’t be popular with some, but...

I don’t understand how fans can be so confident in Rishard Matthews being a weapon when the guy—who was drafted by the current head coach mind you—has had 3 full seasons under his belt and in that time frame accomplished virtually nothing. There’s not any lack of love and support coming from the team. Philbin is the one that drafted Matthews and has subsequently kept him around despite a lack of actual production.

In 3 full seasons Matthews has totaled 64 receptions for 734 yards and 4 TDs. In 2 out of his 3 years he’s totaled 12 or fewer receptions! The only thing remotely respectable was his increased role under Sherman in 2013 when he got roughly 40 catches on 60 targets. In his 3 years in Miami, he has just 1 outlier game in which he put up big numbers, in a loss against the Bucs mind you. For those who don't know, Preston had a 2 TD game while with the Titans. I certainly don't think 1 outlier performance is that relevant. Everyone remember's Hartline's 200-yd performance against Arizona, right?

I can understand being limited by the presence of Mike Wallace outside in 2013 and 2014. In fact, Matthews actually showed some consistency as a contributor in 2013 out of the slot. But Landry quickly took over that role in 2014 during which Matthews failed to even give Brian Hartline a run for his money on the other side. If Landry could make an impact so quickly, there's no argument that Matthews couldn't have done the same thing, or at least beat out a guy that wasn't helping and who eventually got released. Things for Matthews have only gotten worse with Jennings, Stills, and Parker arriving.

Outside of that single highlight game against Tampa, Matthews has contributed on average 1 catch per game for about 13 yards.

I’m not hating on Rishard Matthews, I’m just saying that no player would ever get cut if they got the same kind of continued support and love that Matthews has gotten—and for what?!

I believe this is the same issue as with Jarvis Landry. People don’t want to look at production numbers and face facts. It’s easier to listen to interviews, cite camp highlights and imagine a guy being dominant. The problem is, those things—while they feel great—don’t result in the kinds of opinions that are defensible.

If Matthews has another 11- or 12-catch year, he’s got to go.

33. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    IMO Matthews has the talent to be a starter in this league. He reminds me of Anquan Boldin, quite a bit. Most people attribute his limited opportunities to Philbin rather than to Matthews. I think Matthews' limitation is mostly mental. I don't think he's all that bright and the coaches have never fully trusted him b/c of it. But he's at the point where he has enough experience that the learning side is more rote so his physical abilities can shine. I don't believe he has more potential than our top 4 guys but I believe in him enough that I would not be worried at all if he was pressed into starting duties during the season.

34. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    That's sort of one of the primary points- Rishard Matthews has been badly underutilized.

There's not a properly functioning meritocracy when it comes to determining who gets on the field in Miami. It's a problem the closer you get to Joe Philbin's area of expertise- It's offense more than defense, and it's the offensive line especially. I'm not sure what exactly it is he's judging players on, but it doesn't appear to weigh talent or on the field ability nearly as much as you should. He's loyal to "his" guy, and it's pretty clear he doesn't like Rishard Matthews.

Matthews will almost certainly have another 11 or 12-catch year, and almost certainly be out of here after that- His contract is up, and he's got every reason to get out of Miami.

35. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Depends. I think Matthews inability to climb the depth chart has more to do with his relationship with Philbin, which has never been portrayed as being positive. We've seen him flash ability when he's had opportunities.

A year from now doesn't help us this season. The chemistry and familiarity between Matthews and Tannehill is important. Especially with Parker and Stills dealing with injuries. And Greg Jennings has a history w some injuries too. If worse comes to worse, Miami is going to need and want Matthews.

I don't know a lot about Preston, but it's a stretch to think the grass is greener on the other side.