1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mid-August: An Offensive Line Discussion

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by pdaj, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    Dallas Thomas made it easy on the coaches to put Turner or Smith in there. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if he's cut when the rosters are trimmed to 75.

I guess that's why he couldn't see the field last year even with the turmoil this OL went through.

2. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Title of this thread should be "The Annual Mid-August: An Offensive Line Discussion". Seems like this is a discussion we have had at least every year for the last 10 or so.

The thing is, this group, whoever they end up being, has to learn to together and build some continuity among themselves. Because of the fact that we have have a totally different starting five from last, or any other year, there will be games like this one was at times. Looking at Thomas, while he certainly did not have a good game, what was the real root cause. Was he supposed to get help at times ?? Was he in the right place or did he simply move to the wrong spot that he was suppose to be in to engage his blocks ?? Were his woes due to his inability or due to the lack of continuity in the OL in general ?? Was it simply coaching errors ?? I'm not good enough of an OL evaluator and neither are most of us here to make that determination with 100% certainty (with respect to CK and a few others that likely have better evaluation skills than most fans). I am like most here, that want them to 'pick five guys and go with it' so that they can begin that process of building some continuity. However, my guess is that that they simply haven't determined who those 'best five' guys are yet. And from my untrained eye, Thomas looks to be outside of that group, but.... [h=1][/h]

3. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    In fairness to Smith, they moved him to C to initially try and replace Mike Pouncey. Then signed Daryn Colledge, who I'm assuming is the 2014 Philbin Pet Project (think Eric Steinbach in 2012), and added Samson Satele. While he may not have been all that impressive from the get go, that's playing against a stacked deck, relatively speaking, IMO. I think at this point the game film *should* speak for itself.

4. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    coaches will tell ya that they expect a player like Thomas to get beat if he's going up against a player like McCoy, that goes for all players, their gonna get beat physically from time to time in the NFL, what they can't stand is the mental mistakes, without knowing what was going on in the trenches if he was supposed to have help, we have what we can see and that was consistent physical domination, to a degree that's hard to justify playing time regardless if their weren't mental mistakes going on..it creates doubt as to what level of player he can go up against and be sufficient.

jw3102 likes this.
  5. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I get that. but (personally) without knowing what kind of blocking scheme St Louis was using, I'm hesitant to rely on just past game film. Maybe it was a similar scheme, and if it was, then I agree with you.

6. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I think it is going to be tough for this OL without Pouncey at center. Satele is adequate as a replacement for now, but there is a reason he didn't get much attention as a free agent. Hopefully he can play effective football until Pouncey is healthy enough to return to the lineup.

I watched the game on the NFL network last night and it was quite clear that Thomas is certainly no upgrade from Jerry. He was totally manhandled against the Bucs and I just don't see him ever being a starting caliber lineman in the NFL. I think Smith needs to start the season at RG in an effort to give Turner more time to make the adjustment to playing guard in the NFL.

Colledge appears to be okay at the LG position, but he is what he is and that appears to be a very average offensive lineman in the NFL.

The strength of the OL, until Pouncey returns appears to be at the offensive tackle position. Albert should be a major upgrade from last year and while James will probably suffer through the rookie learning curve this year, I think he could end up being a solid long term answer at the RT position.

I don't see a lot to offer from the backups on the OL. There appear to be a number of mediocre to below average linemen behind the starters. If there are a number of injuries on the OL during the regular season and the backups are forced to play. The OL will once again be a major concern for this team.

Overall, I think this line will be better is pass protection than last year, but I have not been impressed at all in their run blocking. This unit continues to be the weakest unit on the offense and it appears that adding better players on this unit will still be a priority in the 2015 draft.

7. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Armando Salguero ‏@ArmandoSalguero 53s
    Shelly Smith is getting first-team right guard snaps today.

Bpk, MrClean and RoninFin4 like this.
  8. rdhstlr23

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    While I think that's great, I'd prefer Smith at LG & Turner at RG. Anything is better than Dallas Thomas though.

Bpk likes this.
  9. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Daryn Colledge apparently is untouchable.

He's Joe Philbin's binky.

Bpk and RoninFin4 like this.
  10. rdhstlr23

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Yup. It's a major issue I have with Philbin (among MANY others). It's the same as Sherman last year. If you're one of "his guys" he can't see their issues.
    At least Thomas looks to have been demoted.

Bpk likes this.
  11. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Thankfully.

12. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    I just hope they don't waste another roster spot the entire season on Dallas Thomas. That spot would be much better suited for a Guard that you wouldn't cringe at the thought of seeing actual regular season snaps.

13. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    At this point what team would put a waiver claim on him if you tried to put him on the practice squad? Nobody would.

14. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    This is where I thought he was brought into play, considering it's where he had been playing.

15. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Daryn Colledge is Eric Steinbach 2.0

16. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    That is a huge overstatement.

GMJohnson and MrClean like this.
  17. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Except Colledge doesn't appear ready to retire on us.

This does make me think that if Steinbach had not retired, Philbin would have started him. Which would have been ludicrous.

Bpk likes this.
  18. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    He's played as much LG in 2012-13 as RG. And before he started playing, he was being worked at left guard. He was a left guard all through college.

RoninFin4 and djphinfan like this.
  19. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    So I'm clear....

- We know that Philbin was going to start Steinbach.
    - We know that College is viewed the same as Steinbach by Philbin.
    - We know that College is going to start the regular season.

Sigh. The leaps in logic this place makes sometimes is ridiculous.

77FinFan and GMJohnson like this.
  20. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I was being facetious.

21. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    There is no one named College on the roster. Just Daryn Colledge. :shifty:

Fin D likes this.
  22. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't think Steinbach ever made it to the starting unit with the Dolphins if I recall correctly. His signing was absolutely a negative reflection on Philbin, though, because he clearly didn't have anything left in the tank.

djphinfan, Bpk and RoninFin4 like this.
  23. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Or, Shelley Smith. Last season, Smith's best overall PFF single game grade came vs TB, while playing RG, going against McCoy. Smith had a +3.5 rating, in 59 snaps, with a +3.4 run blocking rating. McCoy, the Bucs DLT, was rated a -2.8 overall, and a -2.8 also in run defense.

Bpk and mcdave21 like this.
  24. MrClean

Last season, by far McCoy's worst game came against the Rams. His rating was a -2.8, his only negative rating of the season, going against the Rams' RG, some dude named Smith...

gilv13, Bpk and RoninFin4 like this.
  25. MrClean

Without adding the total snaps he's played at each guard spot, I'd say he has more at LG, though a good many at RG too.

26. MrClean

Gigantic overstatement.

27. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    So here is a question

Jason Fox vs Nate Garner

28. MrClean

There are some significant differences between the two. Steinbach was year removed from missing an entire season with a back injury. Huge red flag for an older OL. Colledge on the other hand, has been a veritable iron man his entire career. He has never missed a game.

Of course, that could not mean he has any ability. He's just always been someone's binky. :wink2:

29. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

OK...maybe this is a really dumb question...but..given we have what seems to be alot of very good defensive lineman....

Would a team ever try turning them into an offensive lineman?

Bpk likes this.
  30. MrClean

John Fox is pretty old, and had a major surgery last year. I think too, he enjoys coaching the Broncos and has no interest in coming out of retirement to play for Miami.

:shifty:

djphinfan likes this.
  31. MrClean

I don't think CK was, and you seemed to be replying in support of his statement. How is anyone to know you're not serious without a :wink2: or a :shifty: at the end of your post?

32. Triggercut

Triggercut Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Boone just turned down top 12 guard money from San Fran. Show him the money?

33. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Everyone is an unfunny comedian.

34. MrClean

Thank you very little.

Ok, you meant Jason Fox vs Nate Garner, and since that Fox has already returned to his prior form that he displayed while with the Lions, always being injured, and since Garner looked very serviceable in the TB game, at LT, that is an easy call IMO.

35. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I figured piggy-backing off the "binky" comment would have given that indication. Emoticons are duly noted.

Guess you all have a case of the Mondays. :shifty:

36. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

[​IMG]

djphinfan, evz and gilv13 like this.
  37. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    No way in hell. Boone is an upgrade, but he's not worth the money he turned down, much less more plus a draft pick.

Neither Philbin nor Hickey are really in a position to have much of a honeymoon period, and I'm uncomfortable with the idea of them being in a position where they can panic and blow picks and money on problems they failed to solve at this point.

38. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    "@ArmandoSalguero: Joe Philbin says Dolphins "don't have a first-team right guard right now."

"@ArmandoSalguero: Joe Philbin adds not a lot of clarity at LG, either."

well that's encouraging.

39. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    My reply to Philbin.."No s**t Sherlock!...plus...when are you going to add McClain, try Jordan at OLB and maybe give Tripp a go because Phins are overpaying for underperforming LB's? You do realise the starters are acually undermining a potential great Defense?" I dont even have to say who but i guess we can all fill in the dots.

40. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I would keep my eye closely on Reid Fragel of the Browns. 2nd year player. Versatile. More of a tackle, but can play guard and a fit for the scheme, imo. Has been on and off the Browns' roster. If he is cut and we scoop him he could provide not only some more competition at LG and RG, but a back-up at OT.