1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mike Carey Explanation on Watkins TD/Possible Touchback

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by rdhstlr23, Sep 15, 2014.

1. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Need some help from you guys.

I was at a bar in Chicago watching the game. Of course, I didn't have the luxury of sound this week.

I saw Mike Carey talking about the Sammy Watkins TD. I know that all scoring plays are reviewed, but it looked like that needed a longer review. It was tough to see from the TV I was watching, but there looked to be a case for the start of a fumble, a possible touch-back there.

Anyone that was watching game fill me in on what he said? What the explanation was?

2. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    He just said it was too close to review. Paraphrased. No joke.

More or less he said it was so close it couldn't be overturned and so it wasn't reviewed

3. rdhstlr23

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks, Alex.

Wow. It's too close to have a review. If that's not a crock of crap...

Isn't the point of replay to review the plays that are really close?

4. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Yeah, that was his opinion. Which was BS in my opinion. I'd have to see it again now that it's the day after, but yesterday, watching that play that ball looked free from his hands when it hit the pylon. Which I believe should have made it a fumble/touchback. It wasn't as close as Carey wanted to make it seem.

5. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't know but to me it was a pretty clear touchdown. Just because the ball jiggled a little bit in his hands doesn't mean possession has been reset to zero and the next person to officially possess the ball will have to demonstrate a football move in order to demonstrate possession. The ball jiggled in his hands a little at about the two yard line, he quickly got control of it and stuck the football out and it crossed the plane before being knocked out of his hands. At that point, when it got knocked out of his hands, that was finally an official fumble. But the ball had already crossed the plane so it didn't matter.

The reviews are done at a central location where they have all the video angles available to them almost instantly. That play was indeed reviewed, centrally. They saw nothing during the review that indicated they needed to spend more time reviewing it. Nor did I, for that matter.

k-bayfinfan likes this.
  6. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    WHat I saw was this.

At the two yard line or so he is hit holding the ball in two hands. He loses possession completely and shifts it into one hand regaining possession. At this point it would have been a TD. However if you look closely as he tries to grip the ball with his one hand it slides. It begins sliding at about the half yard line and he never actually has it across the pylon.

maynard, Unlucky 13 and Pandarilla like this.
  7. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    That's similar to how i felt I saw it yesterday too. Of course, in the heat of the momment, maybe I was seeing things :lol:

8. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I thought it was pretty clearly out when it hit the pylon.

9. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

What I dont get is how it would have ended up as a touchback?

10. rdhstlr23

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I was watching a TV at a bar.

It looked like a case of one of two things - he lost control, regained it in time to cross the pylon. If it wasn't that, he lost control of the ball, tried to regain possession, and couldn't by the time he crossed the pylon.

However, I thought it looked to be more than just a jiggle.

Either way, thanks for letting me know what Carey said.

11. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I thought the pylon business was a big red herring. Everyone kept talking about it, and it didn't matter. The issue was whether the football crossed the plane while in Sammy Watkins' possession. It did. Then it came out.

It came out before it hit the pylon. It just doesn't matter because it had already crossed the plane.

12. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

All scoring plays are reviewed.

13. btfu149

btfu149 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    I thought he was losing possession at the one yard line. No reason to really be upset about it, it didn't lose the game for us. Horrible call IMO though

14. heylookatme

heylookatme Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2012
    He definitely bobbled the ball and I don't believe he had it fully secured. However, when was the last time you saw a play like that overturned against the home team?

15. firedan

firedan Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    palm beach county fl
    I too thought it was a TD but replay does not always prove to be what I or others think .For them not to review was a bit odd.

16. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    [​IMG]

Not sure how that's clearly over the line. Might of been a TD. Might not have been. It's CLEARLY close enough to review. That was pathetic they didn't review it.

Rocky Raccoon and MikeHoncho like this.
  17. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Refs got multiple things wrong yesterday. Look at Harvin's td. He clearly stepped out and they didn't review it either. I think they were sleeping.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

dont fumble likes this.
  18. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

That one baffled me too. Seemed like the ref pointed where Harvin stepped out too....

dont fumble likes this.
  19. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Not in the way you'd think. There is simply someone watching the replay. They can see it once and just say "TD confirmed" and there will be no further review. When they say every score is reviewed it makes it sound as if it is done extensively. It isn't.

20. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Well FWIW I said at the half yard line. I just said pylon because its just an object on the line.

21. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    People keep saying they didn't review it....that's not true. All Scoring and Turnovers are reviewed by the Central REPLAY system. It was reviewed, its only if that Central Location sees something that doesn't match the call on the field do they signal for the Head official to go "under the hood" and discuss what was called and what the film shows.

Going under the hood doesn't guarantee that it would be overturned.

22. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Like I said, it doesn't actually mean it was reviewed. Someone in New York can see one angle of a play and say "TD Confirmed" and after that it can't be reviewed further. To me that is not "Reviewing every score". You're saying they did a great job reviewing the Harvin TD too?

Every play is no "reviewed" in the sense of what a fan would think "reviewed" means.

23. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    It does mean it was reviewed....the central office doesn't watch in detail every play, but they do watch in detail every TD and TO. It was reviewed, it just wasn't necessary in Central Office to get the Head Official to re-confirm the call on the field.

P.S. I do think if you go frame by frame it was not controlled and should have resulted in turnover as the ball was non-controlled and exited the endzone. But obviously the Central Office (and other fans like CK) didn't think the call was missed.

Alex44 likes this.
  24. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    CK, yes it does, once the ball is possessed it determines control in the field of play until the moment it no longer is...if lost out of bounds you get the spot it was last possessed and or crossed the OB barrier as long as not forward of last possessed location. And if possessed prior to the goalline plane, but not controlled through the plane, it would have been ruled to have been lost through the endzone per the rule book, and turnover resulting in Dolphin football at the 20.

maynard likes this.
  25. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    It may have been too close to over turn but from these images it looks like it should have been reviewed in detail before making that decision.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  26. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Fine. It was "reviewed" however it was not "thoroughly reviewed". It was not "Properly Reviewed"

They also confirmed Percy Harvin taking two steps in a row out of bounds. There is obviously a flaw in the system when a guy is allowed to see one angle and say "TD Confirmed" and it can't be reviewed after. I bring this up because I never knew that before the Seattle game. Their official explanation of that TD was:

"Someone in the central office ruled touchdown confirmed after seeing only one replay, and after that it is unreviewable"

BigDogsHunt likes this.
  27. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Ok, I hear you.

I also think what they review is horrible, and the system is NOT running on peak performance. The SF vs CHI TD clearly showed the clock was at zero prior to the snap. that should have been part of the review too. Just like whether Percy Harvin stepped out of bounds, and where exactly control was lost on the BUF TD, and if it was completely controlled.

The down by contact on a whistled play still ticks me off. And the DAL game had a INT be whistled dead as incomplete and didn't allow for the return for TD.

The system that does review all TOs and TDs is flawed currently. Agree 100%.

I just want everyone to understand that on those plays, "under the hood" is not the review process, its the confirmation of what the call and what central review system sees. But it is reviewed.

28. Deerless Dice

Deerless Dice Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Thing is, you can't definitively tell me what the ball was loose from the initial bobble until it hit the ground. Watkin's hand was blocking the best angle He may have recovered it until he broke the plane but there was no certain view of that. Under the rules, there was not sufficient evidence to overturn the ruling on the field. I don't have a problem with that. If it was a called a touch back, it would have stood for the same reason.

Personally, I think he fumbled and it should have been a touch back. the TD ruling is something that only the home team, or the Patriots, get. That place would be incredulous if it was called a touch back.

29. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Feel 100% the same way.

30. danmarino

danmarino Tua is H1M! Club Member

Sep 4, 2014
    Not true.

The NFL admits that Percy Harvin’s Touchown should have been reviewed in New York and then overturned.

The NFL issued a statement after the game, saying Harvin's score was "incorrectly confirmed."
    ''Had the game been stopped for a replay review," the statement read, "the touchdown would have been reversed because Harvin stepped out of bounds at the San Diego 21-yard line."

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/09/14/percy-harvin-sammy-watkins-controversial-touchdowns

31. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    What's not true? the Central Replay System failed in its responsibility to review "all aspects" of the play. It was reviewed by the Central Replay system, they simply F'd up.

32. danmarino

danmarino Tua is H1M! Club Member

Sep 4, 2014
    To me the article is saying that the NFL admitted they didn't review the TD instead they just confirmed it. The CRS may have been notified that a score happened, but they didn't review it and instead confirmed it.

Not true.

The NFL admits that Percy Harvin’s Touchown should have been reviewed in New York and then overturned.

The NFL issued a statement after the game, saying Harvin's score was "incorrectly confirmed."
    ''Had the game been stopped for a replay review," the statement read, "the touchdown would have been reversed because Harvin stepped out of bounds at the San Diego 21-yard line."

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/09/14/percy-harvin-sammy-watkins-controversial-touchdowns

33. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    They simply checked possession and breaking the plane "and confirmed it", not the whole play where he stepped out of bounds. That what the league is saying. The CRS failed in its responsibility to confirm the entire play. Just like the CRS did in the SF vs CHI TD when the play clock ran out prior to the snap.

34. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    It looked like he threw the ball into the pylon. He did not seem to have control as the ball hit the pylon. The did not give this the proper look.

TotoreMexico and PhinFan1968 like this.
  35. cdnfinfan

cdnfinfan New Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Every time I heard him comment on a play this weekend(and last) he just seemed like he didn't want to go against the refs at all.

PhinFan1968 likes this.
  36. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

This x1000.

37. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    I think you guys clearly don't understand the rule about 'definitive evidence to overturn a play'. There was NOT definitive evidence and if that play happened to us and it got overturned we'd be screaming like banshee's.

38. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Speaking for myself, I'm pretty fair for both sides on bad calls. I'm the first to admit when the Dolphins commit a penalty some would call arguable. There was plenty definitive evidence IMHO.

39. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Definitive evidence is one thing. Kicking the PAT immediately after the TD is another. They lined up seconds after the TD. How could this properly be reviewed in seconds?

Neither hand is touching the ball here,
    [​IMG]

TotoreMexico, VManis and maynard like this.
  40. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    The Saints game had definitive evidence. This is easily in that area that doesnt get overturned imo. If they are going to call fumble/touchback it has to be more clear in the replays itself. It's taking still photo's to even make it questionable now. I dont see a single crew in the league over turning it or even questioning it.