1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mike Nolan here to rouse Dolphins defense

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolfan7171, Aug 6, 2010.

1. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    I don't know if it is posted or not. Please delete if that is so.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/15877/mike-nolan-here-to-rouse-dolphins-defense

PhinsRock, jupiterfin, anlgp and 6 others like this.
  2. BayAreaFinFan

BayAreaFinFan D'oh Club Member

Jul 20, 2010
    San Francisco
    Maybe it is just me but when I see a CB lining up to blitz it has gotta be one of the most exciting plays on defense. With the anticipation, will it work, can the CB get to the ball in time, will the QB read blitz and exploit it? I'm really looking forward and hoping for an improved defense this year.

siciliansith and dolfan7171 like this.
  3. ascii

ascii People Watcher

Nov 27, 2007
    Etters, Pa
    Something about the ending to that quote makes me pumped. Thanks for posting! :hi5:

dolfan7171 likes this.
  4. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Losing Nate Jones hurt ... I'm hoping to see Will Allen at the nickel now. Let him cover the slot and run. He can make plays from that position. Older smart vet coming off the knee injury. It is a great role for him IMO.

5. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yeah but its hard to incorporate a CB blitz IMO. From what I have seen in football and through studying Mike Nolan's defense, its better to blitz a safety, which Nolan does very often. Last season, ten to twelve times a game he had a safety or an ILB blitzing.

6. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Who do you think we send alen? I think I like the Will Allen walk up.
    as a nickel CB.

Bringing Bell would be a disaster IMO

7. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I know they've given reps to Vontae Davis as a blitzer in camp and he's done it before. I watched him blitz in college and I think what stands out with him more than any other of our cornerbacks is his downhill ability. His closing burst is top notch IMO. It would not surprise me if they used Vontae Davis on blitzes, assuming they incorporate them into the game plan. If I had to pick one right now, I'd pick Vontae. He's more explosive and quicker than Will Allen at the moment.

Why do you feel bringing Bell would be a disaster?

8. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    If Davis blitzes from the the island that is a lot of ground to get to the QB.
    Blitz Bell that breaks coverage especially with Clemons being as green as he is.

9. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    No, I don't see Davis blitzing from outside the numbers. I would see them running a nickel or dime packages and Davis would then blitz. He's not going to blitz from an island, that's a recipe for disaster IMO. I don't think there will be frequent cornerback blitzes.

Regarding Bell, I'm going off of last years tape of Nolan's defense. I know he says in a quote above that its not the same but I think there will be similarities. He ran so many defensive concepts last season that he will be forced to use some of them with this defense.

In terms of coverage and blitzing, he ran Man-Free quite a bit. You can find the thread I wrote on it and you'll see it, I took snapshots of the game. He ran Man-Free and Dawkins was basically an extra linebacker, which is not something that is foreign to him considering how much he's been used as an linebacker here. Bell is no Dawkins but both of those guys are best in the tackle box area and Dawkins blitzed quite often.

Renaldo Hill was used as the single high safety in coverage and if we run Man-Free this year, which I expect to see some, I think Clemons will be used in the same way Hill was. Hill was not great turning and running IMO and toward the end of the season, Nolan started sitting him pretty far back. Roughly 25 to 28 yards back and he asked him to attack downhill, make plays on the ball. I, personally, think Clemons is better downhill than turning and running. He does not have fluid hips. However, what he does have is quality straight line speed which I think would be put in use if he was to sit that far back. He would not have to worry about backpedaling, turning and running. Instead, he would keep his shoulders squared and attack the ball.

Of course, this is only my two cents. I could be wrong here but I'm going based off of what I saw last season.

10. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    I think I am with you on this I would like to see Clemons play CF and develop range and sit back. Develop his range. He has the speed. If Clemons is turning and running he is chasing. The unknown bugs me...

11. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    got the right players & the right coach.
    Nolan has to figure things out
    but he doesn't have to re-invent the wheel
    he has a defense to work with...

dolfan7171 likes this.
  12. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    the stuff about Clemons in this post is dead on imo...to keep him back a little further so he can use his skillset downhill, shoulders squared, and attack, yes.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  13. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

I've been saying this all off season, and still think it is very true.

14. phinnhedd

phinnhedd Reality.

Oct 10, 2008
    Port Saint Lucie, FL
    Can someone explain to me what is so special about Mike Nolan?

15. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    sean smith came on a blitz at the scrimmage today

16. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, Will Allen is without a doubt the most polished blitzing Db that we have right now, a Cb blitz is as much about timing as speed and Will A has the skill to pull it off.

Recall Nate Jones being juked to the ground when he had that clean shot on Big Ben on a blitz?

17. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    To me, its his experience. He's done it all, literally. He's played from all different fronts, schemes, base coverages, etc. It's also his creativity and ability to adapt his defense to the personnel he has.

18. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    good friend of mine is a big 49ers fan.
    I had to remind him again tonight that Nolan has a good defensive scheme LOL
    insert the ol Bum Phillips quote on Don Shula

19. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

Thought this was interesting:

Nolan tailors blitzes to specific personnel, which is a rather interesting approach as most DefCord's want to have players who can "do it all" wereas Nolan will design a blitz for a specific player's skills.