Mike Shanahan. Potential HC candidate
70 replies
Ok, this is a purely hypothetical scenario that I see as a potential offseason possibility.
There's a good chance that we lose this week, split with the Jets, lose to the Pats, and the game in Buffalo is no cakewalk. It's completely possible that we finish the season 7-9. Add in this whole bullying controversy, and you have a Head Coach and GM on the hot-seat and potentially being fired/replaced.
----------
Now, in Washington, you have a bad football team that hasn't really improved under Shanahan
6-10
5-11
10-6
3-7
There's a good chance he could be fired.
RGIII along with guys like Kaepernick are finding it very hard to adjust in the NFL without the early read option success. With the state of that team, the latest reports from RGIII and now this report out about Shanahan:
http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/11/18/report-shanahan-wanted-tannehill-not-rgiii/
According to ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith, it was Tannehill and not RGIII that Mike Shanahan wanted to select in last year’s draft.
I'm not really too high on Shanahan, but he does produce successful running games, which we severly lack, and his offenses are effective. Some part of me believes that coupling him with a solid D coordinator and subsequent defensive coaching staff could be the answer.
He'd bring some initial excitement as he's a hot name being a Superbowl winning coach. This would appeal to Ross. He's got a ton of experience, and Shanahan himself has the biggest incentive of all for a coach to join a particular team.....The QB he wanted because there's a good chance he thinks he can bring Tannehill to the next level.
If Shanahan and Philbin are fired, I think there's a greater than 65% chance Shanahan is the next Miami Dolphins Head Coach
Thoughts?
I can't believe he's my fav option for a replacement HC should it happen, but he is.
Silence

It's ******* Golden.
I'd be okay with Shanahan depending on who he'd bring in to run the defense. I'm not sure I'd what Jim Haslett tagging along with him. I wouldn't mind if he brought in Gary Kubiak to help with the offense, if Kubiak's fired.
@KevinMD4
Not a fan, he hasn't done anything in D.C. What makes you think he could here?

"RoninFin4 wrote:
I'd be okay with Shanahan depending on who he'd bring in to run the defense. I'm not sure I'd what Jim Haslett tagging along with him. I wouldn't mind if he brought in Gary Kubiak to help with the offense, if Kubiak's fired.
I lost all faith in Kubiak when he briefly went back to Shaub last week.
Silence

It's ******* Golden.
"Killer Bees wrote:
Not a fan, he hasn't done anything in D.C. What makes you think he could here?
A better fit at QB for what he's trying to do.
Silence

It's ******* Golden.
"slickj101 wrote:
I lost all faith in Kubiak when he briefly went back to Shaub last week.
I'd only want Kubiak as an Offensive Coordinator/play-caller type under Shanahan. I think that PA system he's got could really benefit Ryan Tannehill.
@KevinMD4
they need to leave everything as is until after next season. takes time to rebuild & coach-up a team. this is typical Miami fan-base & media pressure collectively strangling whatever chance the franchise has for future development.
- Competition is the Elixir of Success -
"Killer Bees wrote:
Not a fan, he hasn't done anything in D.C. What makes you think he could here?
As slick already said, his choice at the most important position in football: QB.
Tannehill has a lot of those Jake Plummer skills and dare I say Elway tools(not comparing to Elway) that Shanahan got the absolute most out of.
AND, he'd be walking into a team that has a relatively solid defense. Something Washington, IIRC, did not have
"the 23rd wrote:
they need to leave everything as is until after next season. takes time to rebuild & coach-up a team. this is typical Miami fan-base & media pressure collectively strangling whatever chance the franchise has for future development.
the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence, just a matter of giving it time to grow...
we are an average offensive line's distance from the play-offs:dolphin:
If we finish 7-9, our coach will have replicated, and IMO regressed, when there's no excuse for regression under the circumstances.
Decisions can be made after 2 seasons. It's not an overly knee-jerk impatient reaction to fire Philbin if he goes <= 7-9.
"Eop05 wrote:
As slick already said, his choice at the most important position in football: QB.
Tannehill has a lot of those Jake Plummer skills and dare I say Elway tools(not comparing to Elway) that Shanahan got the absolute most out of.
AND, he'd be walking into a team that has a relatively solid defense. Something Washington, IIRC, did not have
Also goes without saying they've done very well developing the running game in WAS.
Silence

It's ******* Golden.
RG3 has played some terrible football this year, not sure how you can put that all on Shanahan. The guy got really good production out of Cutler and Plummer.
"slickj101 wrote:
Also goes without saying they've done very well developing the running game in WAS.
Probably the biggest reason I would welcome Shanahan. We're in desperate need of a healthy consistent running game. Shanahan develops that immediately, I'd think. And this will help the QB develop and produce better IMO.
2 yards rushing in a single game in unacceptable. Would never happen with Shanahan, IMO
"Serpico Jones wrote:
RG3 has played some terrible football this year, not sure how you can put that all on Shanahan. The guy got really good production out of Cutler and Plummer.
I don't. But Synder might make him the Scapegoat.
Reports out of DC are that Shanahan and RGIII are not getting along too well. They gave up a ton to get RGIII. He's not going anywhere.
The coach that went 5-11, 6-10, 10-6, and 3-7 goes.
Hopefully we can be the benefactors here(if we finish bad and fire Philbin)
the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence, just a matter of giving it time to grow...
we are an average offensive line's distance from the play-offs:dolphin:this year
McKinnie-Garner-Pouncey-Incognito-Clabo
- Competition is the Elixir of Success -
i watched the Philbin winning speech in that locker room after the Chargers game. He didn't look any player in the face. Says alot for me. I want a HC who actually gets into the players eyes when giving out cudos. Didnt see it. I like Philbin but there is something missing. Anyone notice that?

"the 23rd wrote:
the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence, just a matter of giving it time to grow...
we are an average offensive line's distance from the play-offs:dolphin:this year
McKinnie-Garner-Pouncey-Incognito-Clabo
Our grass is infested with weeds at the moment and dried out due to drought. It's not good currently. Our coach is 7-9 and headed for another potential 7-9 season.
It's worth a shot to grab Shanahan. Worst case scenario is we get to other side and the grass is also infested with the same amount of weeds and dried out. But at least you took a shot with a proven coach with a track record of winning with the style of QB that we actually have.
"RoninFin4 wrote:
I'd be okay with Shanahan depending on who he'd bring in to run the defense. I'm not sure I'd what Jim Haslett tagging along with him. I wouldn't mind if he brought in Gary Kubiak to help with the offense, if Kubiak's fired.
Given what happened to Kubiak I think retirement is something he has at the forefront of his mind.

MonstBlitz;2232016 wrote:
It wouldn't surprise me if he is retained. Jeff Ireland is the nightmare that won't end. The **** stain you cannot flush. The Herpes for which there is no cure.
"Eop05 wrote:
Our grass is infested with weeds at the moment and dried out due to drought. It's not good currently. Our coach is 7-9 and headed for another potential 7-9 season.
It's worth a shot to grab Shanahan. Worst case scenario is we get to other side and the grass is also infested with the same amount of weeds and dried out. But at least you took a shot with a proven coach with a track record of winning with the style of QB that we actually have.
I fail to follow your logic in this tread. basically, you're saying the same thing I am saying as if you disagree?
indeed, our franchise is built in the sand amongst weeds strangling the organization to death... nothing can grow here until we change the environment. it has little or nothing to do with our current regime. we need to cultivate not slash & burn. we need to patiently grow our franchise.
player/coaching parity runs throughout the NFL. the big difference can be found in the fan-base & ownership of these teams.
- Competition is the Elixir of Success -
I desperately want the team to hire a HC who's had some sucess somewhere else before. Four straight HC hires who have never done it in the NFL before. Its a streak that needs to end.
I don't really like the idea that much, especially all this weird **** about his relationship with RGIII. He's a pretty good coach, but I'd rather we go in a different direction. I do like his offense though, I don't think we need him to run it though.
"slickj101 wrote:
I lost all faith in Kubiak when he briefly went back to Shaub last week.
This is still really baffling to me. He'd be an offensive coordinator.
"Disgustipate wrote:
This is still really baffling to me. He'd be an offensive coordinator.
Still a move like that is scary to see from someone you'd want to hire at any level, imo.
Silence

It's ******* Golden.
I think the whole conversation about firing Philbin is crazy talk. In my mind I figure the first season is a learning curve. New facility, new coaches, new system to implement, learning what you have with the existing players and building a coach / player relationship with them. The second season you have an idea of what you've got and take the chisel to the block of ice and make the moves you need to to begin to grow the type of team you want. By season 3 you should have most pieces in place and fine tune and make a playoff run. Now something unforeseen could happen (losing your QB or major players for the season) and you might be set back another year but I think you have to give a coach at the very least 3 seasons. Ive said this before too, what new coach will want to come in if he knows midway into the second season if you are at .500 you will be talking about firing him? Now if we went under .500 for 2 years straight that might be cause for a quick change but I still think you have to give a team enough time to grow before scrapping and starting over fresh.
Edit: To answer you question though. Id say no to Shanahan.
