1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mike Wallace being shopped by Miami Dolphins

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by jim1, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Why not reference 2013,2014?? He still had Hartline to throw too

2. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Uh, because in those years we were trying to force the ball downfield to our expensive new toy (at least in 2013), while Hartline was phased out. Not saying I agree with how the offense handled Hartline, but that was what happened.

3. Tannephins

Tannephins Banned

Dec 23, 2014
    He was a rookie that year. It stands to reason he'd do more poorly throwing downfield that year, not significantly better.

Hartline wasn't in the downfield role in 2013 or 2014. Wallace was.

resnor likes this.
  4. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Also, I recall a couple great passes to Hartline deep, that he promptly dropped.

RT's fault though.

5. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Force it huh....to the guy wide open....pretty pathetic excuse. Par for the course.

Maybe that's because the numbers were not as good even in 2012 as you would like to believe, there were 2 deep TDs that season and one was Hartlines infamous 80 yd busted coverage TD that created some mythical theory for apologists to hang their hats on. And now when you are asked why hasn't it happened since?? You claim Hartline hasnt ran a vertical route...typical.

It is no secret to anybody Ryan simply has been BAD thus far in his young career at hitting his man on a vertical route, why not simply accept it and hope it develops.

MrClean, djphinfan and jim1 like this.
  6. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Occam's Razor would also apply to Wallace's tiny catch radius, it can also be that simple.

Great downfield accuracy is still under 50%. Which means, its hard to do.

For example....

Throwing a ball 40 yards into a moving 3 foot circle is hard. Throwing a ball 40 yards into a moving 6 foot circle is less hard.

Brasfin likes this.
  7. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    No one said that making those throws isn;t hard, but that's one of the reasons why top NFL QBs get paid the big bucks. Tannehill is just not good throwing deep balls, and that weakness is exacerbated by Wallace not being very proactive in going after the catch.

That being said, when Wallace is open deep, those should be game changing plays and Tannehill has missed more than his share of those throws. Then you factor in Wallace's lack of aggression going after the catch, pass protection breakdowns...it's a mess. But I don't know how anyone (other than maybe Shouright) could watch the games and not come to the conclusion that Tannehill has made a habit of throwing piss poor deep passes.

8. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

IMO, having pass protection that was at least average compared to the rest of the league would help RT complete more of those deep passes.

jim1, resnor and Mcduffie81 like this.
  9. Tannephins

Tannephins Banned

Dec 23, 2014
    Once again, all this stuff is adjudicated by the fact that in 2012, when Wallace was receiving passes from Ben Roethlisberger in the more timing-oriented offense that was implemented that year, he actually performed worse that year than he did in 2014, in the timing-oriented offense he was in with Miami.

What you see in both cases (2012 and 2014) is that the percentage of downfield passes Wallace was thrown that were catchable was dramatically lower than the percentage of them he was thrown between 2009 and 2011.

Given that Wallace was with Roethlisberger for the previous three years, what that says is that Wallace is ill-suited to a more timing-oriented offense and doesn't present as advantageous a downfield target to the QB in such an offense, and that's entirely consistent with his being a mere 3rd-round pick despite running a 4.33 40 at the combine.

10. Tannephins

Tannephins Banned

Dec 23, 2014
    Probably not to Wallace, however, because Pittsburgh's offensive line was no worse in 2012 than it was in 2011, Wallace's best season as a pro.

11. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Yep. That Cardinals game really inflated the numbers for Hartline. Two plays. A blown coverage on one for 80 yards and a double move for 50 on another. Both in a game where he was seeing press coverage w little or no safety help, coverages that Wallace can only dream of seeing on a regular basis.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  12. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Agreed.

13. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    All interesting stuff. And then we get back to the film of Tannehill throwing crap deep balls.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  14. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    Film, what's that?

cbrad, Fin-Omenal and jim1 like this.
  15. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I like how its the terrible catch radius of Wallace fault but never the fact that The balls are usually underthrown deep, Wallace actually has to stop his route and comeback to it and it is almost always easier to defend an underthrown ball than an overthrow. I rather Tannehill overthrow the ball every single time than underthrow Wallace.

16. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Yes, but if you read this thread you'll see that Wallace's extraordinary speed has very little to do with RT underthrowing him so often...

At least RT got to the point late in the year that he actually started to overthrow Wallace, to me that was a step in the right direction.

17. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    How is it that I say they were forcing balls to Wallace, and Fin turns that into me bagging on Wallace? If Tannehill is struggling to connect deep with a guy, and we keep dialing up those plays, is that forcing it? Yes.

They other reason that helps explain the Wallace problem, is that he doesn't look open early in his routes, often, leading to late throws, which results in off target throws.

18. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I never understood the negativity on the double move. What is wrong with running good routes?

19. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

Interesting new excuse. Wallace doesn't get open early enough....this is funny

Sceeto likes this.
  20. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    That's not new. It's been said multiple times over his stay here, by different posters.

21. Tannephins

Tannephins Banned

Dec 23, 2014
    And you'll see the same such film of Roethlisberger throwing "crap deep balls" to Wallace in 2012, when the percentage of catchable downfield passes Wallace was thrown by Roethlisberger was actually lower than the percentage of such passes he was thrown by Tannehill in 2014. How exactly should one explain that?

This is why "film" can give you just enough information to stop at whatever explanation you prefer, especially when your analysis of film fails to go beyond the Miami Dolphins and consider what's happening through the rest of the league.

22. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    I wonder which two?

23. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    You're not understanding what I mean.

Its hard for EVERY QB, even the ones that might be great at it. So much so that most complete less than 50% which is a failing grade in almost anything. You're talking the difference between the best and worst might be a couple of percentage points, but still below 50%. That's a catch or two over a season. Big Rape might be able to hit a 3 foot window 40 yards down the field, while Tannehill might be able to hit a 6 ft window 40 yards down the field, but that is not what makes Big Rape better than Tannehill. It is not what separates great QBs from not great QBs.

The narrative has been created that the benchmark for judging QB greatness is the long ball. That's false. Tannehill has an average long ball with a WR with below average catch radius and below average route running. Yes, it would be great if Tannehill went from average to above average, then that would make up for Wallace's deficiencies, like Big Rape did. That doesn't mean the Wallace deep ball issues are all or even mostly Tannehill's fault however.

resnor likes this.
  24. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    You must be Shouright. When you're done cherry picking 2012 let me know, must be nice to summarily dismiss the other more successful years and monotonously fixate on an off year.

Perhaps you should ask yourself, how should one explain all of the deep ball success from Roethlisberger to Wallace in Pittsburgh and the lack thereof from RT to Wallace down here? Pick out your favorites from below, then you can pick out a comparable number of quality deep passes from RT to MW and post them. Buena suerte.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35EyPalk6Do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZi0Vnx15AU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MKH12FI10k

Here's your off year 2012
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzmTWenMQCU

And for you, here's a starter sampler plate of mediocrity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNLTdNxhFvw

25. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    It's not just a catch or two over a season if you take into account the threat of the deep ball. Hard to quantify that, but I don't think teams respect Tannehill's deep ball (and thus adjust their defensive game plan) as much as for "Big Rape".

26. Tannephins

Tannephins Banned

Dec 23, 2014
    That was the year Pittsburgh implemented an offense similar to the one Miami's been running since Wallace has been here, and so you essentially have three years of good downfield play in a non-timing-oriented offense (2009 to 2011), and three years of relatively bad downfield play in a timing-oriented offense (2012 to 2014). If you don't consider that relevant in terms of how well suited Wallace is to such an offense, we'll have to agree to disagree about that.
    Do you have any film of the bad deep balls Wallace was thrown by Roethlisberger in 2012, when the percentage of such balls was even higher than the percentage he was thrown by Tannehill in 2014, or are you just cherry-picking that single good one and passing it off as representing the whole year?

27. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Yes, let's agree to disagree, because I think that your repeated references to 2012 are less relevant than you make them out to be, and it's more a case of cherry picking something best used as a cursory point imo, not used as the backbone of a thesis as you seem intent on doing.

I'd be happy to post any videos devoted to Ben's crappy throws to Wallace in 2012, but I don't expect to find one similar to that video devoted to RT's misfires to Wallace. .....Well, I looked- nada. But here's another Ben/Wallace clip from a few years back, enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twz6SH0ylpk

28. Tannephins

Tannephins Banned

Dec 23, 2014
    Well, again, you have three years of good downfield performance in a non-timing-oriented offense (2009 to 2011), and three years of relatively bad downfield performance in a timing-oriented offense (2012 to 2014, one of them with the same QB he'd previously done well with).

And again, that fits with the fact that Wallace was mere third-round pick despite running a 4.33 40 at the combine, largely because he wasn't viewed as well-rounded enough to perform well in such offenses.

There's a reason why Kevin White has vaulted himself into perhaps the top five overall of the draft by running a 4.35 at the combine, while Mike Wallace's 4.33 at the combine failed to vault him any higher than the 3rd round. That reason is showing itself in his inability to perform well downfield in timing-oriented offenses. There are just some traits players have, and other traits they do not.

29. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Since you seem to like statistics, maybe you can track down the number of WR's that ran a sub 4.4's at the combine in the last 10 years and find out how many were not drafted in the first 2 rounds. Running a 4.33 doesn't, from my point of view, vault a WR automatically to first round pick status.

So tired of the timing oriented offense argument, it's a weak one imo. No matter what kind of offense, when a QB is throwing deep he should be able to make good throws a reasonable amount of the time- even on the RT deep completions to Wallace most of them were underthrown and on the whole not very good. Wallace has been one of the highest regarded and most feared deep threats of the last several years, the Cliff Branch of his generation, good enough to generate close to 50 TDs and just under 1,000 yards per year (over that in Pitt, under in MIA). He's flawed, he's a pain in the butt sometimes, but he's proven himself as a deep threat.

Let me start your next sentence for you:

"Yes, but in 2012..."

30. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Jim, you just made his point about receivers who run fast.

Fin-omenal...why is it you go back to this stance of Wallace can do no wrong so often? Clearly, Wallace is not a complete receiver. Just admit it, and let it go. You can see it with Tannehill, but not Wallace? I mean, you creep on my posts, and make all these accusations my way about not being fair, but I've said many times that Tannehill has issues he needs to fix, and is part of the reason for the deep ball struggles. You can't even admit that Wallace runs bad routes, and has a tiny catch radius, and also bears responsibility in the deep ball struggles. I just don't get it.

31. Tannephins

Tannephins Banned

Dec 23, 2014
    No, it doesn't, but there are several examples in recent history of receivers who have vaulted up the draft boards primarily on the basis of a 40 time, or of speed alone. Darius Heyward-Bey, Troy Williamson, Tavon Austin, Julio Jones, Brandin Cooks, Ted Ginn. All of those receivers were drafted in the top 20 overall. Of course not all of them have gone on to be successful, but it should make one wonder why Mike Wallace wasn't drafted higher than the mere 3rd round, despite running an ultra-fast 4.33.

The main point, really, is that Wallace was never viewed as having the traits (other than speed) to succeed at a high level in the NFL, and the most likely explanation for his career trajectory at this point -- again given three years of good downfield play in a non-timing pass offense, and three years of relatively bad downfield play in a timing-oriented pass offense -- is that he just so happened to find the precise mix of ingredients (quarterback and offensive scheme) during his first three years to enable his most unique trait -- speed -- to make him succeed the way he did. Ever since that precise mix of ingredients has changed (2012), he's been nowhere near the same player.

32. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    Didnt mean it as a negative, it was a good play by him. He'd beaten Cromartie with the same move a week earlier in OT vs the Jets. But instead of going for the end zone he fell down like he always does, Carpenter missed the FG, we lost the game, but I digress..

The point is that AZ was showing him no respect, they showed our pass game as a whole no respect, and Tannehill lit them up for 400+. With Wallace on board nobody is playing us the way the Cardinals did. The notion that our downfield pass game was better in 2012 is total stat driven fantasy that ignores the nuances of the game.

33. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Let's examine your list:

DHB- Al Davis was a speed freak who regularly overdrafted players based on rare physical ability alone
    Troy Williamson- fast and overdrafted
    Tavon Austin- more than just straight line speed, quick as hell and he's a dynamo
    Julio Jones- dude, really?
    Brandin Cooks- dude, really?
    Ted Ginn- poster boy for front offices having a hard on for pure speed.

You can stop beating the point to death because, yes, if Wallace had the elite skills of an Amari Cooper plus the speed he would have been a top 10 pick. What he does have is just about 6,000 yards and 50 TDs in 6 seasons- was he underdrafted, actually? Were his skills overlooked in general because of the blinding speed? How does his production compare to the other 3rd round WR picks of the last 20 years, 2nd rd picks, dare we ask 1st round picks?

As to the questions above and their possible answers, at the end of the day I really don't give a sh**. What bothers me is how much meat was left on the bone as a result of lousy throws, in terms of what Wallace did/was supposed to do, his primary function- beat coverage, get open, loosen up defenses with a deep threat. What I care about is how many times Wallace was WIDE OPEN for an easy six or at least a huge gain and Tannehill just sh** the bed with a bad throw. I really would at this point like to see clips of Ben's bad throws to Wallace in 2012, and Wallace's drops or bad plays. I don't know what happened in Pitt in 2012, and for the most part I don't really care. Maybe the OL was crap. Maybe they ran a ton. Maybe they just sucked, I have no idea.

What I do know is that on many a pass, including simple, straight up first option bombs to Wallace, RT screwed the pooch with bad throws, and those bad throws had a huge impact on the outcome of several games. I don't care what kind of system they were in, what I care about is how piss poor RTS throws were to a frequently wide open Wallace down the field.

34. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Hahaha, pot meet kettle. Get the analytics guy to go back and see who has been less objective. Creep your posts? This is a message board incase you forgot, and im within my rights to comment on your posts, if you do not like my replies simply hit ignore. Until then dont be shocked if when you make comments i feel are bad i call you out on.

35. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Yes, creep my posts. As in, read into my posts, and then make posts about what I said, that are nowhere close to inline with what I was saying. Like when I said they forced the ball to Wallace, and you turn it into me going after Wallace, which I wasn't.

You are within your rights to comment. Just try to be a little more objective in regards to your boy Wallace. It's becoming apparent that the Dolphins don't seem to share your enthusiasm for him, so maybe he's not as perfect as you try to make him seem.

36. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Wallace has his share of shortcomings, getting open deep isnt one of them. Now, because this may mean Ryan is responsible for the bulk of the blame with the deep ball...you refute it.

I rarely see you post anything that isnt a "i must defend my Ryan" type post. Its always the Wr, the coach, the OL, the wind...

37. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    There are several reasons for this:

1. You choose to ignore the posts I make where I ascribe blame to Tannehill.
    2. There have been a slew of people over past 6-8 months making ridiculous statements about Tannehill, and I've had many discussions with them. So, it skews the amount of "pro-Tannehill" posts I make.

Again, the evidence of Wallace in timing based offenses isn't good. Tannephins and I rarely agree, but y certainly no problem throwing out his arguments about Wallace, simply because it refutes your assertion that Tannehill is almost wholly to blame for the deep ball issue. Essentially, you are everything you accuse me of, just on Wallace's side. Difference between us is, I have no problem seeing Tannehill shortcomings, but you can't really see Wallace's. I mean, for as much as you act like I hate Wallace, I've been publicly on board for a long, LONG time with keeping Wallace. Weird, isn't it?

38. Tannephins

Tannephins Banned

Dec 23, 2014
    The offensive line in Pittsburgh was no worse, statistically speaking, in 2012 than it was in 2011, and neither of them were worse than Miami's line in 2014.

Here's what we know about downfield passing to Wallace in 2012 and 2014: in 2012 he was targeted 31 times on passes thrown 20+ yards downfield, and 8 of those passes (25.8%) were catchable; in 2014 he was targeted 24 times on such passes, and 7 of them (29.2%) were catchable.

So in similar offenses, Ryan Tannehill actually performed better throwing downfield to Mike Wallace in 2014 than Ben Roethlisberger did in 2012.

39. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    You're back to 2012, like a fly drawn to a pile of crap. I would like to see the actual piss poor deep throws of Big Ben in 2012, I'm way more interested in that than some Shouright style stat driven cherry picked argument. Regardless, to be clear about it, I reject your notion that only 2012 counts in comparing their respective quality of deep passes because of a similar offensive style. Hogwash, all of the years and passes count.

Btw, I'd have to watch every pass from Ben in 2012 and RT in 2014 to confirm, but RT was so crappy bad at deep throws in 2014 that this might make for a good template of how stats lie. Big, stinky lies sometimes, in fact. And even if Ben made the bad throws- as with RT last year, that's on the QB not on Wallace.

40. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    ps Show me the Roethlisberger crap throws.