1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mike Wallace On The Trade Block!!!

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Phoenician Fan, Mar 26, 2014.

1. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

To reiterate, I don't think Miami cares what it's going to cost. I also think certain receivers in this draft can get you that production in year 1. Heck, if you can get Keenan with any semblance of a deep game I think you're winning production-wise.

2. Thats the rub right there. If he does not live up to expectation it was a bad signing. It does not matter who it was to blame. In this case RT has shown he can throw the ball well and Wallace has shown he is a good WR. Chemistry between them is not what it should be. That IMO falls on the coaches.

If Hickey gets rid of Wallace its because he does not think the staff can figure out how to use him effectively. That is a strike against Philbin. At the very least it indicates that he is a ridgid thinker who is incapable of adapting to the talent he is given to work with. The exception to that being if somebody offered to give us more value for him than we expected to get from his play. That would change the situation to being a sound buisiness deal rather then just cutting your losses and trying to recooperate anything you can to salvage the loss from making a bad deal.

3. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    I get the win now mentality but there is a hard cap and trading Wallace and then using a pick to replace him uses up resources. We have cap room but its not infinite and there are more pressing holes to be filled.

DPlus47 and MrClean like this.
  4. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Its not a strike against anyone but Wallace, IMO.

Coaches aren't magicians. Most coaches aren't these miracle workers that we tend to pretend they are.

5. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Few people expected Keenan to do what he did.

And, it is rare that a WR comes in right away and excels.

It makes no sense. I don't care if someone is a Wallace hater, to trade him at this point would be ridiculous, imo. He still needs another year. They need to use him more effectively (as Pitt did).

I think Philbin did too much of trying to fit a square peg into a round hole in trying to get Wallace to conform to his system.

But, trading Wallace would just be absurd for a myriad of different reasons.

DPlus47 and MrClean like this.
  6. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    There are some teams that could use Wallace, if I was Carolina I'd call and offer a 2nd round pick...
    I don't think we are going to trade him because of his contract and the impact it would have for us but I could see the team moving him if we were offered enough and could take the cap hit. I don't think this is a real possibility though.

7. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    This is true. However, Pittsburgh used Wallace effectively and that, before he even really matured as a WR. If Tomlin can do it then Philbin should. If they can utilize him effectively, then Philbin, who is an offensive coach, should. So, in that sense, I think it is a mark against him.

He should be having his best years the next 2-4 years, with experience and still maintaining athleticism.

Even though Miami overpaid for Wallace, I don't think they really expected much more than what he was at Pittsburgh. A guy who would catch a few more balls than there (75-80); and an 8-10 TD a year guy who can make some big plays and stretch the D.

The reality is, other than his rookie season, he had the worst year of his career in Miami. That has to have something to do with the coaching staff.

shula_guy and Fin-Omenal like this.
  8. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I would rethink my position if the first person to reply and express agreement was Darrelle Revis (the Jets fan not the corner).

9. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Hard to throw deep to Wallace when the pass pro sucks. I don't understand the sudden amnesia on this issue.

10. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I'm not talking specifically about a rookie story like Keenan Allen, I'm talking about Allen level production. I think there are some guys ready to give that in the draft, and I do think that increased Matthews usage + a rookie would exceed what we would have gotten from Wallace.

There is an idea floating around that Miami and Philly could potentially trade speedster for speedster. I am almost certain Miami would need to take on some of that guaranteed money. I think this could happen though. Wallace's cap hit comes in if he's traded before June 1. After the May draft, if the same sentiment persists, this could still happen IMO.

11. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    I remember when many on here thought Brandon Marshall was a ****ty WR and overpaid. Good Times.

12. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Not a WR available at 19 that can come in and be as good as Mike Wallace.

PhinFan1968 likes this.
  13. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

However, if they plan on making a big move (with all the teams expressing a desire to trade down) and get the kid from A&M, well....next Megatron IMO.

14. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    How about Hartline?

15. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    He's not draft able.

16. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    Is there a WR who can be drafted and be better than Hartline?

17. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    "Keenan Allen is a first round pick in this draft..the stats against this kid make me laugh.."

18. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    he put up similar numbers in his first year with miami as he did in his last season with pittsburgh(outside of touchdowns)

19. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    The Steelers pass pro in 2010 was one of the worst in the league.

20. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    There was an exact quote from Wallace I can't find explicitly saying he wasn't going to work with Tannehill any more on the deep ball:
    http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...heat-notes-tannehill-wallace-wade-um-qbs.html

Wallace is gonna put in the work that is required of him in practice and nothing more.

21. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
  22. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Mike Wallace had the most deep targets of his career last year.

23. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Absolutely.

TooGoodForDez likes this.
  24. MrClean

link?

25. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
  26. MrClean

Drew is a Browns fan. He'd never snuggle up to Rex wearing a Jests shirt.

SICK likes this.
  27. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    It's where Rt admits Wallace is open. That part must've been made up.

jdang307 and MrClean like this.
  28. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Why didn't that result in more big plays? Did he fight for balls in Pittsburgh just not here?

DPlus47 likes this.
  29. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    But they weren't perfect so he shouldn't be expected to catch any of them.

30. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Yes, Mike Wallace has been way better in his career at making an effort to come down to the catch. It's what separated him from a lot of guys whom are simply fast. Like someone pointed out earlier, the guy had a 40 inch vertical, and he's hardly a 170 pound guy who can't try and box someone out.

the 23rd likes this.
  31. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    I call bull**** and will believe it when I see Wallace in somebody else's uniform.

This would be like buying a brand new crate engine and selling it for pennies on the dollar after a few races because you didn't want to make the mount and chassis adjustments and play around with the tune so you could get the extra second you need to win the race.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  32. MrClean

Hard to throw deep to Wallace accurately when the pass pro sucks.

33. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    Unless it's for Calvin Johnson, AJ Green, yeah you get the point!

Da 'Fins and DPlus47 like this.
  34. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    His quote was specifically regarding deep balls. Do you want your speedster running deep routes right before a game? That's silly. The disconnect between Wallace and Tannehill seems to be timing on go routes where Wallace is all out sprinting. Why would they run those routes right before a game? How many do you think he can run before getting tired? You also see Tannehill admitting the deep ball is not affected by not playing catch before the game. Why? Because you don't run all out sprints before the game more than a few times, if at all.

Tannehill even admits he needs to work on getting Wallace the ball deep.

Da 'Fins and DPlus47 like this.
  35. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    *Checks author. Hilarity ensues.*

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...nehill-wallace-wade-um-qbs.html#storylink=cpy

Eagerly await your spin.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  36. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Did you even read that? I said a drafted WR could potentially give us Keenan Allen production which was partially QB driven. I said a rookie + Matthews in a larger role could exceed what we got from Wallace.

EDIT: From a production standpoint, going back to 2011, at least one drafted WR has exceeded Mike Wallace's numbers in their rookie year.

37. DPlus47

DPlus47 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Would the people who think Wallace for DeSean Jackson makes sense please tell me how it makes sense?

To me, DJax is a similar player with a worse attitude and more injury issues. The deep ball problems seem to be there with Tannehill regardless of who the receiver is. Jackson may do a little better on short/intermediate routes, but he is almost never happy and he has had multiple concussions. Every year, like clockwork, he goes through contract drama.

Am I missing something?

38. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Drafted at 19 or later? And has the vertical presence of Wallace?

39. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Doesn't mean those were good throws and the pass pro goes into hurried or harried throws. Surely you recognize that regardless of whatever else you have against him.

40. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    The question is - which numbers? The avg of his last 3 years at PITT? And where were they drafted? And you think we are guaranteed to draft that player?

RT is in his 3rd year. Odds are that the WR we draft is Still going to have to develop. In the mean time you have a fragile QB who needs weapons. While Wallace is not a Megatron or close to it, a Wallace who puts up #s from the steeler days is a very useful weapon for RT - if the Dolphins would use him effectively as the Steelers did.

DPlus47 and Fin-Omenal like this.