1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mini Contract Extensions Update

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by AllianceCollect, May 31, 2009.

1. AllianceCollect

AllianceCollect The Beautiful Mrs. AC....

Mar 25, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Buried in Jackson's article from yesterday (and only Dolphins info from it):

Florida Sports Buzz
    I'm sure the FO is working their way up from easiest to most difficult (sneaking Will Allen in there a little in between).

It would be amazing to have the rest of these guys locked up before the season or at least a few weeks into it. As far as Penny is concerned, I think they'll be willing to let him go fishing as a Free Agent after the season and if he doesn't like what he sees, to come back as the back-up, with a chance to win the job if Henne falters.

Last edited: May 31, 2009
    phinman13 likes this.
  2. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado

I think I remember hearing Penny say that after his contract is up, we would be willing to be a backup to Henne. I believe he said that last season, because he knows the future is with Henne.

I'm not 100% sure I'm right, so don't shoot me if I'm wrong:hi5:

3. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I don't think it has to do with easiest to hardest I think they're looking for who can contribute in the most ways to the team. If they're unsure about someone they'll wait to sign them. They've got the whole season to do it why be in a rush?

PhinsRock and DOLPHAN1 like this.
  4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    It's no secret I think we should keep Chad Pennington, but I can understand why we would not re-up him until after the season.

Penny has 2 16 games played seasons in 9 yrs in the NFL, if he makes it through this season healthy, and plays all 16 and puts up his typical career numbers in a 13 games played season, 3,000yds, 15td's and 90% plus efficiency rating, he would be worth paying large money to retain.

It could come down to signing Ronnie or Signing Penny, but Ronnie needs 6yrs to be a URFA doesn't he?

5. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    I think if Pennington has another year similar to last year or better, they'll offer him an extension.
    It kind of sounds like Roth is next in contract offers.
    With Brown and Fasano, it's probably going to come down to how much they want to be here. Both Carey and Crowder alluded to taking a little less in order to stay in Miami. Obviously the same was true with JT. For that matter just refer to the Will Allen contract.
    IMO, if the FO deems the player worth keeping, they'll make an offer they believe to be fair - take it or leave it. What is more important to you?...being a Dolphin and being paid a fair wage? ....or getting the biggest contract you possibly can?

6. anlgp

I think the last year of his contract is voidable. If it came between keeping Pennington and keeping Brown I would keep Pennington. Maybe I'd tag brown and see what we could get for him; but probably not. If someone doesn't bite we'd be screwed big time. I'd draft a RB the next year (or promote Cobbs depending on what kind of back I'd want).

7. DOLPHAN1

DOLPHAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Could be his entry way into coaching ala Don Strock. Where would Marino be if Strock wasn't on the sidelines for him his first couple of seasons.

cdz12250 and steveincolorado like this.
  8. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    I don't have a link or anyway to prove that I actually heard what I thought I heard, but I swear that I did hear that one day:up:

9. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

I have total faith in this regime to make the right signings at the right time(s). Not worried about this one little bit.

steveincolorado likes this.
  10. ATLFINFAN

ATLFINFAN Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    At this stage in Pennys career....I am signing Brown to the priority contract. THen sign Penny if it works out.

Fin D likes this.
  11. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    The good news is that players actually want to play in Miami under this regime. I can remember players not wanting to be here and using the Dolphins as leverage with another team rather than signing here.

12. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Channing crowder is the perfect example.

13. anlgp

JT as well.

steveincolorado and TiP54 like this.
  14. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    I'm not surprised that no one wanted to play here. Besides year after year of horrible drafts and bonehead trades, all they had to do was see what Wanny did to Ricky that year he won the rushing title. Ran him into the ground. No strategy or innovation or misdirection or spreading the ball around to take some of the load off him; just used the guy up. No wonder Ricky retired. And after all that we never even got into the playoffs.

After that it was a college coach who hated it here so much that he left us to go back to college; a ringing endorsement of how far we were from the promised land. And then an offensive coordinator brought in without any idea of what he could do, which was nothing because he had no idea of how to lead men. There was no way that anybody was going to want to play here. They want to play here now because intelligence is clearly going on here, and they believe for a variety of reasons that we're going to win. Players aren't stupid. They go to teams where they're going to look good winning and make their incentives and get better deals down the line. Thank the football gods for the Trifecta.

15. m ino

m ino New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    i know we went 10-6 to not make it to the palyoffs but didn't we go 11-5 and lose the first game with stache as a coach?

16. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    Yes indeedy. I feel like the owner of a haunted house that has just been through an exorcism.