1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MIT Professor believes he can solve the world's energy problems with an Olympic Pool

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by Pandarilla, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Pretty long (21 minutes) but well worth it...

http://vimeo.com/8194089

[video=vimeo;8194089]http://vimeo.com/8194089[/video]

MikeHoncho and Tone_E like this.
  2. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Great vid. Thanks for sharing.

3. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    That's what she said.

But seriously, I'll get around to seeing this when I'm off the clock. Sounds appetizing.

4. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    Lunch break ftw.

So basically, he proposes the use of Hydrogen acquired through electrolysis. Same stuff I proposed 6 years ago in Chem.

Happen to agree 100%. Why are we not using the most abundant element (which, in our defense is also difficult to naturally acquire outside of splitting water) as a fuel? Then reversing the process to produce CLEAN water...

IMO we've got a better chance at harvesting Hydrogen than we do developing cold fusion.

Seemed obvious then; even more obvious now.

Pandarilla likes this.
  5. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    yeah, well, that's like, your opinion, man.

MikeHoncho and Pandarilla like this.
  6. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    I have been blessed with many things in this life – an arm like a damn rocket, a c*ck like a burmese python, and the mind of a f*cking scientist.

...and I can already tell I'm not going to like you, so if anyone wants to pick on this guy... I ain't lookin'...

7. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Wow, the dude versus down and out. Epic movie reference battle...too close to call.

8. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    IMO b/c there have been economic interests, specifically the oil industry, that oppose it. And those interests have been able to direct (buy) govt. policy for the last 40 or 50 years.

Pandarilla likes this.
  9. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    Indeed. Am I alone in also thinking the Saudis would also make this guy go away should he be extremely successful?

10. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    they can't any longer. It's not possible, alternative energy is no longer able to be hidden.
    And I'm a hydrogen kind of guy.........f your water.

11. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    They certainly would have the motive. But really our own govt. should have been looking for alternatives since the '70s. That was an obvious a wake up call but they just didn't want to change things. Too many lobbyists and special interests. Corporations now run our country and they put their short-term profit above what's best for the country. It was obvious that our dependance on oil made us vulnerable to our enemies. They should have approached it like the space race and made our independence a priority.

Pandarilla and MikeHoncho like this.
  12. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010
    OK...I didn't get to watch the entire video, but from what I can tell this is no "break-thru".
    I believe he said that this process only takes a "few volts"? Well, a few volts in will get you, at most, a few volts out - unless he's forgotten his laws of thermodynamics.

Even with a perfect catalyst this is going to be pretty useless. All he's doing is repackaging the whole "hydrogen is the future" spiel which is flawed because the technology hasn't been developed to meet the visions of the scientists that conceived it. A hydrogen fuel cell has not been made that could operate practically, and it may never be, let alone the problems of storing gases like O2 and especially H2.

And why bother using perfectly good electricity from a photovoltaic cell to make a chemical form of energy, just to convert back into water? Isn't that just a waste of energy?

The key is to make better solar cells. I think that would be much simpler than doing what this guy "thinks" he may one day accomplish.

13. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    Wha? You know you have to put energy into any chemical reaction right?

14. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    Iceland's doing Hydrogen. Just sayin'. Not a big country but still; not impossible.

15. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    They already have hydrogen stations. So its very possible. What marine is referring to, I think, is the fact that it isn't storeable in an economically feasible way at the moment.

16. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    Here it is. Found it

[video=youtube;U79CWDtdZOA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U79CWDtdZOA[/video]

Check out the "waste" byproducts.

17. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Dude, can't stop the technology...Killing the water shortage problem and creating cheap energy that can sustain the world's demand into the future? This guy manufactured prototypes already with his interns as his team. Watch the rest of it...Plus, Edison took like 1,000 trials before he perfected the incandescent bulb, so I don't get why anyone would give up so easily on such a promising form of energy.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  18. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010
    I don't think you understood my post. Look at my "laws of thermodynamics" statement.

19. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010
    That, and the way this guy is getting it is a total WASTE of energy.

20. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010
    I'm not against the advancement of technology or the trails and experiments. I was mainly commenting on this guys belief that he's "solved the energy problems of the world". I understand that a person needs to use some hyperbole in order to gain funding, but he's just flat out lying.

21. daphins

daphins A-Style

Mar 22, 2008
    I saw a really cool documentary on future car power sources. It had a really dorky guy as the narrator, but it covered some really cool stuff, and they visited Jay Leno's shop.

Anyway, at one point they were talking about hydrogen as an alternative energy. They pointed out that there are already hydrogen cars (as pointed out earlier), and they're on the streets in our country as well. Can't remember if it was Ford or GM, but someone is already testing them. Not sure if they were PURELY hydrogen...I think I remember seeing something about it getting 100+ MPG (which unless they're talking water, I'm assuming that vehicle uses gas as well).

ANYWAY, the point I was trying to make was on the storage aspect. One of the main worries the public has about Hydrogen is it's containment. The two big issues are the pressure, and the size of the tanks needed to reach current car output. The tanks at this point need to be like 70 gallons. They explained that the exploding tanks is really kind of a non-issue, and that's more of a PR problem than anything, but the tank size was an issue. They've had success putting carbon nano-rods in the tanks. The rods hold the nitrogen particales,a nd keep them from bouncing around, allowing us to put a lot more hydrogen in a smaller tank (with almost no pressure). The problem with nano-rods is their cost (thousands of dollars per tank). BUT they have had success making "fake" nano-rods from chicken and goose feathers. A professor is taking chicken and goose feathers and baking them. The result is strands of strong porous structures that act as nano-rods and accomplish the same thing. They contain the hydrogen, allowing us to compress it into a smaller tank with virtually no pressure.

Thought it was cool anyway.

Pandarilla likes this.
  22. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    I understood your post, my assumption is you are referring to you can not create or destroy energy........
    And I still don't get your point. Every engine needs some force to start it off. You will always in a sense lose energy. What matters is the efficiency.

23. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010

Yeah, the people who worry about a tank of hydrogen are the ones that don't realize that they are driving around with 15 gallons of a highly combustible liquid (gas) that in most cases is more dangerous than a tank of hydrogen would ever be.

Pandarilla likes this.
  24. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    MP, I did a little digging and found your response nearly identical to this one comment on http://www.stevethechemist.net/2009/04/has-dan-nocera-saved-world.html

he starts out by saying...

Have you heard of this guy? and if so what is your take? here's the skinny...

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/324/5923/74.abstract

and feel free to drop some knowledge or references on your end about solar cells...

25. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Well, it doesn't get much more credible than MIT...But you haven't watched it all, he's already got prototypes. Plus I think his breakthrough is in storage with the catalyzing force being photosynthesis. Here are some schematics and pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[edit] ****, it's too small to read and the resolution is too crappy to enlarge, sorry.

26. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010
    Now this is embarrassing. :blushing:

I usually post from work ( I know...I know) and sometimes I get called away mid-post and just try to hurry along. Anyhow, in my "digging" of this topic I too found this quote and I liked it so much that I was going to use it and I FAILED to cite it. I even thought I went further in that reply by adding my own thoughts and not just quoting this guy, but it looks like I didn;t even do that.

I can't believe I didn't catch this sooner. As you can see from any of my other posts, when I use another person's words I not only link it (when possible, and when not I list the author's name and credentials) but also put the author's words in italics.

Sorry about that...

27. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Meh, no big deal...However, I just saw this posted about the University of Toronto making a breakthrough in a better solar cell like you were talking about (I think)...

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/06/110626145423.htm

I need to sleep so I haven't even bothered to look at the specifics. Anyway, what do you think?