1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MLB 08: The show

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by Clark Kent, Jun 11, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Bought the game last night. So far it's awesome. Much harder then 06 (the last i played - different anyway.. I need to adjust). I dominated that game like no one's business, I threw no hitter on max difficulty with Pedro.

I've only played online so far. I'm 3-3, 2.89 avg, 4.20 era (got jacked in one game). My favorite game so far was a 3-4 loss that went 14 innings. I hit a two run shot in the first inning. I gave up a bases loaded triple in the third. Then, in the top of the ninth I hit a solo with Manny to tie it 3-3. After using most of my pen, I gave up a solo that dinged Pesky's pole.

Anyway, the game is great. If your pitcher is on fire he will have confidence and dominate. Give up hits and runs and he buckles and you gotta get your mojo back. Very realistic.

The pitching meter is different from the past. You have a very slim margin for error, and a moving target (confidence).

Hitting is now easier/harder. It's easier because you have the option of guessing the pitch and location. Get it right and you can do max damage. It's also harder because it gives you (or me anyway) a false sense of the strike zone and I swing to much when balls are to low/high/outside.

Does anyone have the game? Anyone want to play tomorrow/in the future (PS3)?

2. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I've only play the RttS mode so far bu it's awesome.

3. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I played the Road to the Show mode on one of my friends PS2 at UNI (he has the game) and I would say it's a super cool game. I really liked it and I'm not a huge baseball fan.

4. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I love road to the show mode. In 08 it seems a little harder to get called up though. But otherwise I like the changes they made from 07.

5. PeaTearGriffin

PeaTearGriffin Season Ticket Holder

Dec 8, 2007
    Very good game. However, once GTA came out i stopped playing it

6. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    Wow this game is frustrating. I must of had beginners luck because I'm now hitting .247. I've completely regressed. My ERA is now down to 3.66 so that's good for the pitching aspect. I just can't hit the ball. I'm averaging 10 strikeouts (myself) per game. I don't know what to do about it either...

Anyone have advice?

7. Get Up And Go

Get Up And Go New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    I've had 08 the Show for a month and a half or so. Its a great baseball simulation.

I'm open to some online play. Even though I will lose. Just like in real life, I cannot hit.

8. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I was hitting about .370 with my RTS player. Here's a couple of things I do:

1) Unless the first pitch looks like a slider or fastball to the middle of the plate I don't swing at it. I'm not good at drawing walks to be honest but getting antsy has never been a good strategy. This also often gives you a look at the pitcher's fastball.

2) I always look (4 seam) fastball. This might be a given but just in case. Unless you happen to have a knuckleballer up or something just guess fastball. The AI seems to throw a lot of them. This is shown as most pitchers' best pitch.

3) 08 is tougher because it will never give you the exact pitch location. Some trends I noticed with pitch locations. My batter is right handed by the way. If I'm facing a RHP I like to guess inside b/c when he throws there it's usually something that you can hit. If he is throwing way inside it's pretty easy to tell. From what I've seen the odds are in your favor that the inside pitch from the RHP is going to be a strike. More so then the outside where they like to try to get you to chase. The same can be said for LHP and the outside. They'll try to come in on your hands and whatnot but when they pitch outside it's usually something you can hit, hard. Also, as before it's easier to identify a ball.

4) Just like in real life, avoiding frustration is key. Concentrate and pay attention to what he's throwing you. A good guess can pay off big time. Also, sometimes it does seem like the AI just somehow knows when you really want to swing. Look for a lot of garbage when you fall behind in the count. If the pitch looks close remember that foul tips are your friends.

Hope that helps a little. I'm not an expert but I can usually hit for a pretty high average in the game.

9. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    i SUCK at batting. I'm loving RTTS. I'm AA 1B trying to get on the marlins. My fielding is awesome. But my got do I bat bad. Tips?

10. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Look for fast balls, and try not to bat with square.

Also, when training work on speed and contact first. I am in my 5th year (2nd full major league year), and hitting .400 (I'm above 90% in most categories that matter).

11. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    MLB 07 still for me..

As far as RTTS, yeah, I got tired of being a hitter, so I switched to pitcher.....love it. Signed early with Braves, then became FA so I signed with Yankees...spent 1 season in minors, and now a 2nd contract has been offered and I am #3 arm in Bigs for last 2 years.

Woohoo....Joba like ability. May try hitting again!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  12. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    LOVED MVP.

I had an amazing game online last night.

I was the Sox and he was the Yankees. In the fourth Lugo throws an error with two outs. A-rod hits a double and I am down 1 nill.

He has Joba pitching who is straight nasty (99 mph fastball). I have 0 runs and like 5 hits. He brings Mariano up in the ninth and I single the first pitch with Youk.

I pinch run with Coco and steal 2nd. Long story short, It's a 1-1 game, bottom of the ninth, runners at the corners, 2 outs. Lugo is up and I shock the hell out of this kid with a drag bunt and single to win 2-1.

I'm 41-27 online 2.88 ERA, .282 BA (down from .291 a week ago (major slump right now).

RTTS is fun as hell. I had a pitcher for awhile, but have a SS right now.

13. Mainge

Mainge Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    I had this same problem early on, too. But as you get more ABs in, you'll start to recognize balls and strikes muchh better and will be able to pick a pitch you can drive.

The only really tough pitch to recognize is a curve ball in the dirt. The first .3 seconds of the flight path look exactly like a thigh-high fastball.

14. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    Yup. I have a np swing policy with cb that hit low.

Changeup has been that way for me lately.

15. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA

See my earlier post. Always look fastball. Try to beat them at their own game. If they are continually going outside there's a good chance they'll come in on you, stuff like that. It will help you guess the pitch location and makes life a lot easier. Look for mistake pitches like fastballs that are up but stay in the zone or sliders that look like they'll drop in around the middle of the plate or higher. Those are good pitches to hit into the stands. Most pitchers tend to work the lower part of the zone first. They love to go down there and it seems like they're always hitting their spots. If you're patient though they usually give you something somewhere else. Beware of curveballs that dive down below the knees on 2 strike counts. Those get me a lot. Also the umps seem to love to ring you up any chance they get, meaning they expand the strike zone a lot.

The biggest key is not to lose patience. I've had the most success probably letting them throw me 3 or 4 pitches before I hit something. It's hard to watch a first pitch fastball come right in the strike zone but unless you guessed the location I would just let it go. One last thing, I never use the power swing, it doesn't seem to help with anything. I can hit about 15-20 Hrs and keep my average above .350 usually on medium difficulty just using the regular swing.

mor911 likes this.
  16. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I'm batting .257 right now on medium (a helluva lot better than the .180 I was working with forever), but at this rate I don't feel like I'll ever get called up to the pros.

17. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I'm telling you, work on speed. This helps get more extra base hits, and help steals (all of which lead to more development points), and that helps you build up elsewhere. .257 is fine if you are putting up a lot of HRs and RBIs, but you should be like .30 higher I think.

18. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    It's tough. I didn't get called out of AA the first season with a .350 average, about 70 RBIs, 18 HRs, and 148 hits. I was starting to think it would never happen. They finally did it in June of the 2nd season. April of the 3rd season is when I got called up to Atlanta. Might have been sooner but I ended up on the DL for 60 days at the beginning of the second season.

Just like in real life, pitchers get called up faster in RTTS. Just worth mentioning. If you get fed up with hitting I recommend giving pitching a try. It's a lot of fun too.

19. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA

I noticed that your default speed is a lot better in this year's game than it was in 07. You started off so slow in 07 it was ridiculous. You can start stealing bases in this game right away.

20. Get Up And Go

Get Up And Go New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Pitching is starting to annoy me.

I can't go a game without giving up a run or three. I always seem to give up runs with two outs. I will get two outs and then there will be a man on first and third. Its happen every game.

21. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I got called up from AA to triple AAA after the first season. I got called up to the bigs from AAA partway into my 2nd season in AAA (3rd season overall). I was getting frustrated because I was rocking AAA since I had been there and thought I might never get the call.

22. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Do you always throw what the catcher calls for? I've found that sometimes it's better to ignore him. He calls for way too many fastballs.

23. Phin-o-rama

Phin-o-rama Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2007
    I'm a little miffed that there is no home run derby

RTTS is pretty good though...I am playing a SS and batting about .210....just started last night

24. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Yea it stinks, because I'd def. be in the HR derby this year (have 26 or so at All star break of 2012).

25. Phin-o-rama

Nov 27, 2007
    I was doing really bad at hitting in the beginning, and was looking to practice somewhere....well at first i didn't understand how the training works, because i assumed you would actually go to batting practice, or weight room (kinda like madden's thing) to build up your stuff.

i eventually started hitting the ball a bit though....i have like 10 hits in 55 AB's or so....pretty ****ty lol

the graphics are great...i haven't tried any other mode than RTTS so far.

i wonder what would be the best position to play in rtts....i like SS but it might be fun snaggin fly balls as an outfielder...or even catching...

26. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Never thought about catcher, I am 3rd base.

27. Phin-o-rama

Nov 27, 2007
    question....is there anywhere u can go to practice batting? or only in game?

I was surprised at the lack of a tutorial really, as they are so common nowadays. the booklet really doesn't explain very much of anything.

I'm just looking to practice the "guessing of the pitch and location" and what that can do to help you...

perhaps i should play through a regular game so i can get alot more swings in...

28. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    I'm officially a veteran!!! Every game is worth 10 points. You must have 300 points to do reach V status (online).

I'm 61-33 (17 of those loses were when I was a n00b and 17 wins were too. 17-17 is when I got much better).

I hit .289 (which is low because of my previous n00b ways, i hit more like .330 now) and a .273 ERA (my pitching stats are unreal)

OK, the secret to hitting.

Clark Kent presents: The Hitters Eye

Ever see one of those 3D drawings where you must stare at it just to see the picture, or else it looks like nothing? The Optical illusions?

That’s how to hit in MLB 08. If you pick a part of the pitchers body (I use Belt Buckle because it’s the top o the strike zone) and do not move your eyes (do not follow the pitcher during the wind up. Just stare directly ahead at your original point), using your peripheral vision, watch for the release point. Because of this technique, everything slows down. You can now differentiate speeds and pitch (ie. fastball vs. a curveball).

I hate facing Joba Chamberlin because he throws 97-100mph and it's so hard to catch up and differentiate off-speed. Not anymore. I crushed a kid using Joba. I hit 4 HR off him (he threw high in the strike zone to get max mph).

I also rarely strike out and now work the count 10x better which means I'm on base a lot... If you throw junk (pitches way out of out of the SZ) I'm going to own you when it's 3-0, 3-1 and you have to throw a strike). Not only that, but I hit HR all the time now (use to hit 1 every 10 games or so it seemed).

I also play with Guess Pitch OFF. It's to distracting for me. Maybe it won't be for you. Play a few games with this strategy until you get the hang of it. You won't be sorry.

I'm waiting for you stitches!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008