1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mock Draft 1.55 Pre Combine

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by padre31, Feb 5, 2010.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    This is precombine and just on the all star games:

12. Brandon Graham..what I see in him is a Lb who could play any Lb role we have, Weakside, Strongside, Inside.

33. Cam Thomas..nice NT prospect and will compete for playing time early in 2010 imho

73. Dennis Pita..his time in BYU's passing attack will serve him well in the NFL

112. Terrel Hudgins a big Wr who can run is on the menu

144. (11th pick in the 4th rd) AJ Edds we need some new bodies at ILB

6th rd (#4 pick) Joe Webb Qb/Wr raw player, but he has a great skill set for what we do in Miami.

6th rd (#5 pick) Lamarr Houston DT TX

6th rd (11th pick) Boris Lee ILB Troy...one more body, he has TSI (toughness, strength and instincts)

7th rd (5th pick) Alex Daniels

UDFA

Zoltan Merko P MI
    Arthur Moats DE/OLB
    Gabriel Manns G NCC

Hudgins is overdrafted in the 4th rd, but I suspect most of the Big College Wr will be off the board by then, Pitta imho is a nice passcatching option at Te.

If Cam Wake moves into the starter role at OLB, someone will have to take his place on Special Teams, the abundance of Lb's in this mock covers that eventuality.

I also suspect that Cam Sheffield made an impression on Sparano at the Senior Bowl, but cannot place him in the draft, right now he is carrying a 7th rd grade but will move up, how far up he moves depends on his showing at the Combine and in individual drills.

Sparano saw him on good behaviour at the Sr Bowl, can he maintain it during the long offseason?

The one thing I like about this one is the "take two" philosophy is still followed except for 2 Wr and @ Te's, but they have spent resources on Te already as well as Wr.

Thoughts?

adamprez2003, ssmiami and ASUFinFan like this.
  2. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    I like Graham but i am really high on Dez Bryant he is going to be a Stud it is hard to find WR's with that size and his skill set

3. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Oh sure, however I'm of the opinion that the Defense is a priority, and someone will snag him at 1-11 and his agent will keep us from taking him.

And B Graham fits what we do on Defense.

4. Big Red

Big Red Long Lasting Freshness

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Not bad. Although it still leaves us with a gaping hole at inside linebacker. Brandon Graham is a stud and I would have no problem with him at #12.

You meant 43 instead of 33 right? Either way I believe we can do better than Cam Thomas.

Dennis Pita at #74 (not 73) would be a solid pick. However I am not a fan of drafting a tight end this year. Would he really be an upgrade over Fasano, Haynos, or Sperry?

I like how you gave us two 4th round picks at #112 and #144. :up: BTW #144 would most likely be about the seventh pick in the 5th round.

Don't know much about Terrell Hudgins so I cannot really comment. I know he has some fans here. Love AJ Edds if he's still on the board when we pick in the 4th round.

If we drafted Joe Webb, Lamarr Houston, and Boris Lee in the 6th round I would be happier than a pig in poop!

The Alex Daniels pick is not awful but he wouldn't be my first choice and what happened to our second 7th round draft pick?

Not familiar with Zoltan Merko, Arthur Moats, or Gabriel Manns. :confused2:

padre31 likes this.
  5. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Draft 2010 Wiki page is up BR, I took the selections from their listing of our draft picks, but until compensatory picks are awarded being exact seems a waste of time no?

Arthur Moats is/was the Buck Buchanon award winner for Small College Football players sort of the Highsman and Lombardi Award rolled into one.

Zoltan Merko is this year's highest rated punter, as Barry Jackson's column had us interested in a better punter than Fields who the Staff apparently feels lacks hangtime on his kicks and caused ST to give up the 4th more punt return yards in the NFL.

Imho we see some resources used on ST this offseason, Bonamego has gone as far as he can go with the players he has on hand.

That is a part of the reason why I've been banging the "Sign Ricky Foley" drum, he is a known, he played 3 yrs of ST in the CFL and was a 3 core player on ST same as E Walden and he has better upside than Erik Walden.

Of Webb/Houston/Lee, I'd be pleased as well, imho 2 of them will be there and Lee and Edds pushing for a ILB slot makes sense and is the less expensive option assuming McClain is long gone at #12 .

And Bro, it is tough creating a believable Mock Draft that has the Trifecta's 2 picks on one position strategy, Edds/Lee, Thomas/Houston, Hudgins/Webb, Graham/Daniels.

Try doing that sometime BR, two at each position without "McClain and Spikes #1 and #2" but early round picks and late round picks that appear to have talent all on the same position AND probably will be there when we draft.

Big Red likes this.
  6. Big Red

Big Red Long Lasting Freshness

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Actually you can make a pretty good guess based on prior years.

That is impressive. Have you seen any of his games?

Did not know that. Thanks. :up:

We need better blocking which is why I believe Jason Allen might be done as a Dolphin.

Actually I believe we are going to see less and less of the double-dipping as needs get met.

7. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Until it is all sorted out imho it is not that huge a deal.

Highlights mostly, if one looks at NFL draft scout there are some.

I figure if punter is viewed as a need we use a draft pick.

That is one issue that is difficult to know the answer to, I suspect that rarely shown camera angles cover the blocking on punt returns because I'll rewatch games and only the reception of the ball and tackle or missed tackle is shown.

This year we still will imho, we need upgrades at Lb and probably NT.

Big Red likes this.
  8. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    now you are talking
    this team needs to fix the defense first and foremost
    ive been saying it for while now and i know we have other needs but
    a disruptive pass rusher would do wonders for this d
    the 3-4 is built on outside linebackers who can get into the pocket and limit the qbs window to make his reads
    graham reminds me of lamar woodley
    pack some muscle weight on him put him at the strongside
    put wake on the weakside
    you have to believe nolan is thinking relentless pressure

9. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Problem is, we do not have a ILB who can bring the heat up the middle of the offense, Crowder..err...no...and Reggie Torbor was supposed to do that job but has been invisible in that role..

So many needs, so few high draft picks.

Ireland and Gaine have to find some late round magic this draft or the Defense still won't be very good.

ASUFinFan likes this.
  10. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    preaching to the choir bro
    remember me the guy who got drilled for voicing my opinion on the linebacker situation
    stated all along that we had a couple of old guys in there with not much to develop behind them
    everyone hangs their hat on anderson and moses but in reality they are spotty and decent depth i guess. that dont cut it really
    we have to fix the back four in the front seven with youth
    there is no if, ands or buts about it
    agree its a tall order

11. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I fully expect JT to be a Dolphin in 2010, especially if Porter is gone, we need quality Veteran Depth at OLB and straight up Taylor had a much better season than Porter AND he can play 3 positions, both OLB and DE.

Depth is fine, you need starters as well and I just cannot see us heading into 2010 with Charlie Anderson as Wake's backup on the Weakside or vice versa.

12. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    cant argue that
    jt will probably be back
    he is cheap but long in the tooth
    veteran depth means little to me really
    we need young studs who get after it

ill still say cam wake still fits that nolan mold
    im looking forward to seeing him pick his up his hand and be a linebacker
    everything went backwards after the roth situation am i wrong
    jt was supposed to be the situational pass rush guy on the strong side on third down
    they took him off the field in those situations
    figured in '09 wake comes in and steals porters reps
    what a mess:wink2:

how does roth get cut
    after the transition
    young player tons of upside
    development was happening
    mistake

13. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    i dont think his agent will have anything to do with it if this guy wants to play football he will he knows if he sits out the year and reenters the draft he is going to loss a lot of money because this might be the last years rookies get a huge salary like they have been and if you go listen to his Interview with BigO he said he wants to get back on the field and he believes that he will show people he deserves what he should be paid like a #1 draft pick even if he isnt drafted #1 and IF he is there at 12 and we pass on him i think that would be a huge mistake this draft is loaded at Defense but you cant get a WR like Dez to often

14. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Charlie Anderson actually was pretty good last year. I don't mind him being a backup in the slightest. As a starter I just don't see it but as a backup he's fine.

15. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    the only good thing we have ever seen from charlie anderson was the blocked punt against the jets in 08

we need to develop linebackers :up:

16. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

you know why he was cut. he was cut because of signing a waiver and then turning out he was not okay. we didn't miss him when he was gone as a starter.

i don't see how it's a mistake to keep the integrity of the whole locker room above that kind of behavior regardless of who the player is.

17. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    His agent is Michael Crabtree's agent, Crabtree didn't sign and start playing until November.

Ireland and Tuna won't even approach that at #12.

18. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Veteran depth who can play is one of the keys to not having a slow start.

Wake played linebacker maybe 3 plays all season, the rest of the time he was rushing the passer, and quite effectively, I've said numerous times it makes sense to trade Wake to the Eagles as they are desperate for a passrushing DE, and we would not have to suffer Wake's learning curve at OLB.

And he will have a long and steep learning curve, JP is an *******, he was right about Wake playing OLB, it will be painful for awhile.

Easily, when Roth got to Cleveland he said they asked him to play hurt, as he did in 09, Roth imho would have done so if he had been given a contract extension, they had no intention of doing so, so the PUP'd him, when he was eligible to play, at that point JT had shown he could play SSLB with Wake's emergence there was no place for Roth to really play and they at that point were not going to resign him to a long term deal so they cut him rather than face the same situation with Roth as a RFA heading into 2010.

My impression is the SSLB is a fairly simple position to fill in Nolan's defense as long as they know it has to be filled it shouldn't be a problem.

It would not surprise me if a Veteran is signed to fill that role as people are not taking into account 2011, they take B Graham because he really doesn't have that large of a learning curve in this defense.

19. Zanno

Zanno Junior Member

Apr 8, 2008
    Sorry but I checked Wiki and they only give us one 4th rounder, i hope we get another 4th, also they give us a sixth for the trade to KC but then under conditional they say undetermined.

20. ASUFinFan

ASUFinFan Uh huh

Dec 8, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ

Which is exactly why I would not pass up Dez Byrant if he is available at 12. Now if he is gone, I am down for these other options!

Take Dez Bryant at 12 - your offense is better, gets you a playmaker, lets other receivers fit their respected roles
    Rest of draft take defense - defense get infused with talent, should be better you hope

Take Brandon Graham at 12 and follow with a defensive minded draft like that - and the defense still won't be very good?
    If that is the case, then just give me Dez Bryant, especially if going in you know that your defense still won't be very good. Just my opinion of course.

21. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Don't be sorry, it was an additional 5th round pick...:wink2:

The 4th rd pick is #107, so it should be #76 and then #107 and then we do not pick again until the 200's like 205 and 206 then 1 7th rd choice.

Zanno likes this.
  22. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    They are diffrent people if he fills like he should be paid top 5 then that's bad but in his interview he said he is going to get in camp and show that he should be paid like the #1 pick no matter how much he is making he doesn't care where he gets drafted. I am sure he fells like he should be the #1 pick but he wants to earn it just because they have the same agent doesn't mean Bryant is going to do what crabtree did

23. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    love the beginning of the draft and gthe end of the draft. two picks were a bit underwhelming for me

12. Brandon Graham..great pick. i dont know if the FO likes the body but they will love the production. Graham, Hughes and McClain are the three players I want with that first. I'll be thrilled with any of them

33. Cam Thomas I absolutely want this guy. I'm not sure he cant be gotten later though. Ive seen mocks where he was a fifth rounder and higher. I havent seen one yet where he is a 2nd rounder. Doesnt mean anything since I think he's one of only 4 or 5 pure NTs available to us and I think he's going to be a very solid pro

73. Dennis Pita.. If its true we are looking for a seam buster, then this guy might be the best choice for us. If we're looking for the more traditional type then I think Quarless is that guy. Definitely a solid pick

112. Terrel Hudgins has the body but was a unimpressed with his play. Could just be seeing the wrong games. He defeinitely has the potential and I could see him blossoming but it seems a bit risky and there should still be solid players on the board

144. (11th pick in the 4th rd) AJ Edds i'm not as high as other on him but he can certainly cover anyone. We would need a Rolondo McClain type next to him. Karlos Dansby maybe?

6th rd (#4 pick) Joe Webb Qb/Wr dont know him at all but in the 6th he sounds like a decent roll of the dice

6th rd (#5 pick) Lamarr Houston DT TX absolutely like this pick. great great value of he somehow lasts this late. And most mocks have him this far down for some reason

6th rd (11th pick) Boris Lee ILB as a 4th rounder i wouldnt like this pick but as a 6th this is a very solid selection

7th rd (5th pick) Alex Daniels dont know him

UDFA

Zoltan Merko P MI
    Arthur Moats DE/OLB
    Gabriel Manns G NCC

nice FA pickups

padre31 likes this.
  24. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    What puts Graham ahead of Hughes and Kindle is his JT like ability to play DE or both OLB slots, that sort of multi talentedness makes him a no brainer imho.

Not comparing him to JT (clearly, he has Matty Roth arms) but in versatility imho he could do it, Wake and Graham on a nickel rush line would be devestating.

Hard to tell with NT's, for all the DWilliams love imho he is in the same boat as Cam Thomas sort of late bloomers who have to be projected into the NFL based on potential rather than College production.

Pitta reminds me of what Dallas Clark does for the Colts, he can split out wide, stay in and block (Ck mentioned the Shrine Bowl coaches loved his blocking) and his time in the BYU passing game has given him savvy and feel for finding seams in Zones.

Here is the way I approached it, let Hudgins compete with Turner for 'Big Wr" duty, if either one develops then we are much closer to solving the wr problems on the roster, and imho they won't take on of the Smurf Wr in this draft.

Dansby won't leave AZ, they will tag him first, and once you go past Spikes and McClain, there is not a whole lot of difference in the other ILB's in this draft, Edds is just as much a prospect as Jamar Chaney as is Weatherspoon.

I'd like Weatherspoon over Cam Thomas, but we need a NT as well, unless they go small college NT shopping we have to reach for one.

Lions Sammie Lee Hill from Stilman may have opened a lot of doors.

1,000yd rusher, 1,000yd passer, and he played Wr for 2 seasons in college he has nice size and would be safe on the PS.

Heck, he could be the next Josh Cribbs.

And with Bess, Greg C, Hartline, Ginn and Turner, we only have so much room to begin with at Wr, it makes it hard to find 2 receivers who logically fit on the roster let alone 3.

Though I'm beginning to suspect Ginn is on the bubble and if we find one "do it all" type of Return man, he could be gone.

We've added, Tristan Davis, Kory Sheets, Grice Mullins, and now Webb, 4 legit returners...Ginn should be recieving that message loud and clear.

Lacks size, 4-3 DT.

BPA at ILB for the "take two" strategy.

Cinci DE who is a nice passrusher, imho Erik Walden had better watch his back because being a 3 core ST player but a dud at OLB is not a good situation for him.

ST is Sparano's AAA team, they prefer players who can also play their position in base packages as well as play ST, Walden has been here two years now and has shown -0- at Lb, that keeps Q Moses on the roster, a player who can play BOTH ST and offer production at OLB has a great chance to stick imho.

Such a player would open 2 rosters spots.

That is why I like CFLer Ricky Foley,

There will be competition at Guard this preseason, UDFA's, CFLers, Vern Carey, they will nail down the G position this offseason. Sparano the ex Oline coach is not going to make it three years in a row with subpar Guard play.

25. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    Padre, no issues with your 1st four picks, however, still truly believe that we will trade down in rd 1 .... but still pick up Graham. the benefit is that we get another late2/3 rd pick to choose from. So throw in an ILB prospect and we'd be agreeable.

the only questionable pick for me is WR -- as our likelihood to draft a WR is 100% contigent upon what we do in FA for one. If we can sign one - i believe we go that route -- just not Boldin. if we sign a WR, then the 1st 3 rounds are all defense, with the last pick in the 3d/4th being TE.

26. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I wouldn't mind a trade down (why isn't it trade back?) but that is such speculation right now, and a part of me believes that Ireland and Tuna simply will not allow themselves to make any mistakes, they'll use the #12 and get thier guy rather than trading back imho.

Millions of dollars on the line, they won't make any mistakes with this one.

There is no one to sign, just A Bryant and C Chambers, or TO, FA is no longer "FA" it is "who is leftover".

Besides, this was mock 1.55, things will begin to settle out in about three weeks, the Combine will be over and questions will be answered.

Rule of thumb with the Trifecta, look for the largest player who runs the best who was a 2 yr or more starter in College.