Mock Draft

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by alen1, Apr 17, 2009.

Tags:
  1. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Haha, well here's the thing. I think there's a strong possibility that a team moves up to take him if he slips out of the top seven but I'm not going to predict trades here so I went with what I thought. :up:

2. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I honestly don't see the Lions passing on him. I'm not saying that's the right decision, but I believe there are multiple factors that almost force them to take him, and there are rumors that they're already negotiating a deal. And if somehow they don't take him, I can't see him getting past the Jags. But if you're right I will give you a ton of credit because you're going way out on a limb on this one.

3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    They may pass on him, they may not. Personally, I think they will but I'm probably not the guy you want predicting stuff. I think Jim Schwartz knows the importance of building in the trenches first and then from there up, and last year's situation in Tennessee only makes me believe more that he'll go with Jason Smith. But I've been wrong many times before so I'll just pray Im right. :lol:

You know, I keep hearing about the Jaguars taking a Quarterback and it makes zero sense to me. Garrard slimmed down this off-season and they signed him to a six year extension last year or the year before. Last year, he had a terrible offensive line because of injuries and a lack of targets and he did OK.

djphinfan and sports24/7 like this.
  4. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    :up:
    You know what I REALLY agree with you on the Jason Smith pick. Thats why I have put off making my mock draft for soo long. It makes no sence doing something when you have pick #1 wrong because it creates this huge falling out or picks 2,3,4,etc...

I am a big fan of Schwarts as he is a big statistics junkie. He regularly used statistics to improve his defense with Titans and I am sure that will play into his decision with the number 1 pick. Factor that in with the fact that you would be able to sign Jason Smith a lot cheaper that Curry or Stafford (both have Tom Comdon as an agent, which reduces the Lions chances of making them compete against each other salary wise).

Well apparently the Lions have begun negotiating with the top 3 prospects so we should know shortly...

alen1 likes this.
  5. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    i guess thats part of the reason why they cant run the ball. taking Moreno now will prepare them for life after mcnabb.

6. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    I like Britton's potential as a LT. Impressed me a bit when he was there at Arizona. With a good OL coach, he can be a solid starting LT because I feel he has the tools.

7. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I think he's capable of playing LT but I like him more at RT. He's got issues in pass pro.

8. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    To each his own, but I think you're underrating his pass protection ability. His pass protection deficiencies really stem from the fact that he's a recent transfer to the position after being a great RT. He's not as polished in his moves, is still fresh, and has been relying heavily on just athleticism so far. I believe with time and decent coaching, Britton has a great chance at being something special at LT. I'm sure many thought Jake Long (another one of my GM league 1st rounders) would struggle in pass protection coming out of the draft but with solid OL coaching, he's performed exceptionally well.

9. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yeah, he's a bit raw but I think his issues with strong and fast pass rushers will hurt him. He isn't the fastest offensive linemen off the line from what I've seen which is why speed rushers will eat him up and have had some success against him at Arizona. Then when facing a strong end, he fails to have leverage and is susceptible to bulrushes. Like I said, I think he's a capable LT but I like him more on the right side.

10. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    I have seen that but how he lets these speed rushers succeed is completely fixable. He's exhibited enough foot speed and lateral agility at times and I don't doubt he can be more consistent in those areas in the pro level with better blocking technique. Should be more than capable but yea, he's better on the right side mostly because he's spent the most initial time training there. Like I said, he has the athleticism and some technique to become a LT. Immediately, he may grade out at RT but in the long haul, he's a best fit at LT. Though one thing I've been finding ironic is that some of the things I've said were used to defend Jake Long. :lol:

11. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    :lol:

Exactly, which is why I said he's raw. They are fixable and I do think he has the tools to be successful but grading him, I do like him at RT more than LT. I can't tell the future so I go by what I see now. ;)

12. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Well, I've seen enough spurts to convince me he's LT material but yea, it'll come down to where he ends up. :up:

13. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    i agree on all three quotes...it shows me that after the olineman in this draft and aaron curry, the rest of the defensive players could go anywhere in the first or 2nd depending on ones taste. I think all three are overrated relative to their projections.

14. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I think that the premium placed on pass rushers has affected each defensive ends and outside linebackers draft value. I know that is a bit of an obvious statement but its absolutely true. And when the Giants punished Tom Brady to win the Super Bowl, it only enhanced the value of the position.