1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mock DUI

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by alen1, Oct 29, 2008.

Tags:
  1. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Today in my High School, we had a mock DUI. I don't know if all of you have ever seen that but its basically when the police, school staff/employees, drama members and ambulances come and fake a DUI manslaughter to make High School students realize that they shouldn't drink and drive. The story for today's mock DUI was that a student came to pick up a his girlfriend for a date. He picks her up and they go to a party. At the party, the boyfriend and/or driver drinks heavily and tries to take his girlfriend home safely. On their way back home, they crash into a Ford pickup truck and the girl is not wearing a seat belt. She passes away in the car accident because she hits her head on the winshield but the driver stayed alive. They do the whole thing where they cut off the door of the car (pretending its jammed), get the helicopter and ambulances to take the injured to the hospital. Then they get the girl who passed away and drive her away in the hearse.

Its very realistic and they do a great job of acting. It also gets you thinking and its saddening. In the end, a kid who two years ago graduated from Lyman High School, was in a car accident involving a drunk driver. He can now barely walk and all his dreams of being in the Navy came to an end. He was told that he would never walk again and today, he uses a handicap walker and walks. He has trouble with balance and its really sad. Then a lady talks about her daughter who was killed by one of her friends who drank and drove. They were coming home from a party and their car flipped several times. There were four kids in the car, the three drunk friends escaped and she, the one who didn't have any alcohol in her system, was thrown out of the car and killed.

My Anatomy teacher opened up class talking about drinking and driving and the effects of it. He broke down what it does to you, how it impairs you and so forth. Then he proceeded to tell us that in his four years in high school, he buried three of his closest friends because of them being drunk drivers or others who crashed into them. In 1984, he buried a friend. In 1985, he buried a close friend and neighbor and in 1987, he buried another close friend.

There are two points of this thread. One is if you have ever seen a mock DUI in your school? The second point is don't drink and drive. You don't want to be responsible for taking away someones life. Get a cab, call your parents if you have been drinking, get a friend to drive, do something. Even if your parents don't let you drink, at least they will forgive you for drinking and it will all be fine. Everything is not fine when you take someones life.

2. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    Great post, I never saw a mock DUI not have I ever gotten one for real. Drinking and driving is no joke. A teacher from my High School was on her bicycle and got hit by a drunk driver in broad daylight. She survived the accident, sadly her infant son did not.

3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Sorry to hear about what happened to your teacher and her child Opie.

opfinistic likes this.
  4. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    See this is my problem with the mock DUI. They shouldnt be telling to kids not to drink and drive, they should be teaching kids the correct way to drink and drive.

Hear me out. Take sex for example, if abstinence is taught instead of safe sex (condoms) kids are just going to have sex anyway and we know what unprotected sex can lead to (see Gish)

This should cover the basics.

1) Eat something before you leave the party. If no food is available, stop by the nearest Denny's

2) Turn up the stereo REAL loud. Its hard to fall asleep when Air Supply, Err... Shinedown is blasting at 110 decibels.

3) Lastly, always drive in the center lane. Just trust me on this one... it works.

5. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Wow, now I feel like a total ******* for what I just posted... thanks... :pity:

6. Phinperor

Phinperor formerly In_Flames Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    [​IMG]

7. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    And of all the people, Opie is the last I would think of to bring some heartfelt sincerity to a thread in the lounge.

Well played Sir...well played.

opfinistic and Phinperor like this.
  8. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    I'm usually a clown but certain things hit home. This was one. No worries bro.

9. dolphindebby

dolphindebby Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    I've been around drunks. And it's sad to see how ignorant they get.
    I've been fortunate in not losing any one to a drunk driver, but I've had several friends who have lost children that way and it's devastating.
    This is one statistic that could be done away with, if only people would wake up and be responsible. To me driving drunk is like having a loaded gun and not having sense enough to know when to use it.
    I used to drink, never drove, but I hated those that would get in their cars like it was nothing. I wouldn't ride with a drunk either. We always had a designated driver.
    Glad you had the opportunity to witness this alen.

azfinfanmang, Phinperor and alen1 like this.
  10. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Yes I've seen a mock crash. It's bad news.

I've never lost anyone close to me because of it, though.

opfinistic likes this.
  11. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    The officer who was at the mock DUI talked about statistics of drunk driving. He said that your chances of hitting and/or killing a person when you have had a beer is 5. When you have had two, its 9. Three beers and its 15. Four beers is 29. Also, deaths from drunk driving have risen 13%. I think he said that out of the 3200 deaths last year, 1200 were from drunk drivers.

anlgp, opfinistic and dolphindebby like this.
  12. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Staggering numbers. I have gotten to the point where I have a drink before dinner, maybe one with, then a nice espresso afterward. If I do go out 'drinking' I go to Flannagins which is right behind my house. No DUI for staggering home, although I almost got busted peeing on a dumpster.

dolphindebby and alen1 like this.
  13. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    I've gotten a DUI in high school and I made sure I never drove drunk again. Thankfully, at UCLA, everywhere is within walking distance so I've never had to worry about that.

14. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Well fortunately I've never had a DUI, but I could have had one easily.

I never drank much at all until 1993. And I was one of those that had been able to drink legally since I was 18 (they changed the law back to 21 when I was like 24). I never took advantage of it until I came out and started going clubbing.

I used to work a night shift with my job at the U of Miami (4pm to 12am) as the Customer Service Manager at the U of Miami Physical Plant Help Desk. Half-way between work and home was a nice little piano bar called Helene's Rendevous on Bird Road and about 70th Avenue for those familiar with Miami. The place it occupied was once known as Keg North a redneck bar of the 1960's and 1970's. It was full of the usual suspects, including the mincing queen that brought his little miniature poodle, appropriately named "Fifi" (and of course he was by trade a hair stylist :lol: ). Everyone walking in the place had to naturally come by Jimmy and Fifi's table and pay homage to Her Majesty. :shifty:

Anyways, I became a 5 Budweiser a night guy. And we are talking at least the 5 nights a week. Sometimes it was even Saturday nights, before heading off to the dance clubs Splash or Uncle Charlies.

I am sure, I was driving many times at least double the drinking limit. And thinking nothing of getting caught or having an accident.

That all changed on December 17th, 1994.

I had a friend that I had met there named Eddie. Good guy, and lots of fun. We played pool together many, many times. Shared hundred's of beers together over the previous year and a half.

Then it happened. Just one block from the bar, we heard the screaching brakes and then the horrible sound of grinding and crumpling metal.

Eddie had left the bar, after about 4 or 5 beers in search of a dance club on South Beach, but he got but to 67th Avenue and Bird Road. He was killed instantly. Because I was the closest friend he had from the bar, I was asked by the police to ID Eddie. That was the most horrible scene I have ever had the misfortune to look upon.

Since that day I have hardly, and I mean HARDLY had any alcohol. I may have drunk 15 beers in the last 15 years.....I just can't bring myself to do it, without thinking of poor Eddie.

His memory will live in my heart forever. What a waste for nothing at all.

Alen, I'm glad they had this at your school, and I hope it made more than just a few of your classmates think about the horrors that drinking & driving can cause.

15. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    When I was 16 a drunk driver hit me sending my truck with me in it into a telephone caving in the passenger side and ruining my truck. The miracle was that I just had bruises and my friend who was going to ride home with me decided not to otherwise the phone pole would have hit him directly in the head killing him. Needless to say I can't stand drunk drivers and have chosen to not drink at all in my own life.

PMZQ, opfinistic, Ludacris and 2 others like this.
  16. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    I always get a sober friend or call someone when I'm too wasted to drive, I did know someone in high school ended up paralyzed because a drunk driver hit her car. Its no laughing matter.

PMZQ, alen1, opfinistic and 1 other person like this.
  17. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    They did one of these at my HS, I personally thought it was pretty f'in lame. Good idea probably, but very terrible execution.

18. FinsPensFan

FinsPensFan Professional Slacker

Dec 21, 2007
    Wheeling, WV
    I've lost my Wife and my best friend through drinking and driving. I make it a point not to do it.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
    Colorado Dolfan, Muck, PMZQ and 5 others like this.
  19. Ludacris

Ludacris Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Thanks alen, I was thinking of driving to a party this weekend and you just made up my mind. I rarely drink and drive and have never been charged with a DUI. If I drink I usually take an hours rest before driving. I feel fine but I don't think I should even risk it now.

After reading everyone's posts, i feel sorry for everyones loss.

Colorado Dolfan, PMZQ, alen1 and 2 others like this.
  20. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    i saw 2 mocks...there were also a few deadly drunk car accidents with students when i went to school, very sad

alen1 likes this.
  21. TokyoFishFan

TokyoFishFan New Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Tokyo!
    I've never seen one of those shows.

However, as someone who's been around military bases and "young people," defined as 18 to 25 year-olds for quite a long time, I can say the biggest reason that young folks--and old folks too--get into trouble with alcohol are:

1) Lack of planning
    - You know you want to go out and have a good time, but you don't know where you want to go, how you're going to get there, and how you're going to get back. Have a plan. If you want to free wheel and hit a bunch of places, plan ahead by designating someone to drive everyone around. If you're the driver, don't give in to your friends who tell you it's okay to drink just one, because if you've had one, you're on the road to 2, then 3, and then...

A little planning goes a long way.

2) Knowing your personal limits and the limits of your friends.
    - Know when to cut yourself off. If you can't remember what you did the night before, you've probably gone way past your limit. Learn your friends and where their stupid and fun place is as opposed to the "will get us all thrown in jail" place is. Cut them off.
    - If you're going out to get completely plastered on a regular basis, you've got an alcohol problem. If it's just once in a while to blow off steam, ok, but see number 1 above. Have a plan so if you really need to blow one off you don't wake up next to someone and have a sore (fill in the blank). Never hurts to bring some barf bags along too--saves on car cleaning the next day.

Those 2 things above are really all you need. If you have a plan and know your limits, you can have a successful (legal) evening and a great time.

Be safe.

22. dolphindebby

dolphindebby Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    I'm so sorry Mbs. My prayers are with you.
    Every one should make a point not to do it.
    God Bless you.

23. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    My school did a good job of it and even though I thought the whole acting was lame, the part in the end where a mother came up and talked about the loss of her child and then the guy who was told he would never walk again, which he ended up doing, really got me thinking. I didn't plan on posting this but I thought I would share it anyway.

I very sorry to hear about your losses Mbs. I hope all is well in the present and the future with you and the rest of your family.

Thank the police, I'm just the messenger. :wink2:

On a serious note, glad the post helped you decide. :up:

24. TokyoFishFan

TokyoFishFan New Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Tokyo!
    An hours rest? Glad you didn't go. An hour is not long enough for that alcohol to get through your system.

Effects at Specific BAC
    BAC Charts

If you only have one drink and you weigh 100 pounds, you probably need to wait at least 2 hours. If that one drink is a Long Island Iced Tea, you most likely have the equivalent of 4 or 5 drinks in that one glass. You need to camp out for the night.

Here's a thought for folks hosting a party. Buy yourself a breathalyzer to check on your guests. Take their keys away and only give 'em back if they pass. You keep your friends safe and reduce your legal liability since you hosted the event.

They have some here starting at $80.

Breathalyzer.net - Breathalizer Testers and Portable Breathalyzers
    AlcoTester.com- Breathalyzer Testers and Portable Breathalyzers

This post is not meant as an endorsement of their products.

25. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Mbs3009.. bro.. my condolences sir, my heart hurt as I read that.

My cousin was just in an accident.. they were both drunk, coming from the crack man when the driver lost control and wrecked. The truck flipped and the driver, not buckled up, was ejected and died. My cousin was air lifted out with broken ribs and a collapsed lung. My cousin STILL doesn't get it.

26. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Hang in their brother. Sorry for your loss.....:sad:

FinsPensFan likes this.
  27. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    On a side note, wear your seatbelt folks, no matter what. If your bouncing around the car, or especially get ejected OUT of the car, your gonna be in bad bad bade shape and death is not uncommon.
    The cars these days are designed to take hits and crumple around you while keeping you as protected as possible.

A coworkers husband used to work for a highway rescue unit, basically a bad accident first responder with the heavy tools, jaws of life EMS training etc. He once saw his daughters best friend in an accident. She had been ejected and decapitated. He always told his wife that it was his greatest fear to come up on an accident and see his family ....

Driving accidents are one of THE most preventable cause of injury and death, but people in general are far too nonchalant about it. Driving is something you should always take seriously and responsibly. One moment of stupidity could ruin your entire life.

28. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    I'm sure they do the best they can given the climate of our society, but I wish the school system would go way beyond "mock DUIs."

They should have mock arrests, along with mock remand without bail, mock cavity searches at county and the mock buttrapes that would ensue for pretty little 16-18 year-old boys locked up for more than one night.

I'll bet more results could be had from having a big, sweaty guy's genitals up by their faces than from mock funerals.

29. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    I could not agree more about the seat belt sentiment. At the age of 18 I was involved in a single car crash on I-95. My old girlfriend was driving and she lost control of the vehicle. We ended up hitting the median, spinning around backwards and rolling four times till we stopped, upside down. We both had our seat belts on and neither of us sustained a single injury, not even a scratch. I did need new underwear after the incident and I suspect she did too. That was in 88, prior to that I rarely wore seat belts, afterward I was adamant about it, and if my passenger refuses to put one on I won't move the car.

dolphindebby and alen1 like this.
  30. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Careful, you're getting enforcerfin all riled up.

HardKoreXXX likes this.