1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monday Morning Poll: Best Scenario for Long Term Success of Miami Dolphins

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by MonstBlitz, Sep 21, 2015.

Better Scenario for Long Term Success

1. A playoff run this year resulting in 2-3 more years of Philbin

31.9%
  2. Another failed season ending with Philbin's Termination

68.1%
  1. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I had a long winded thread typed up, but it disappeared when I hit submit button. So I'll keep my diatribe out of it this time and just present the question:

What would ultimately be better for the long term success of this team?

A playoff run this year, resulting in 2-3 more years of Philbin; or

Another failed season ending in Philbin and company's termination.

One thing: I'm not suggesting any kind of "Suck for Luck" scenario where fans should be cheering for the team to lose. Personally I'll be cheering for Miami in every game this season no matter how bad it gets. This is just an honest question. Try to project both scenarios out into the future and decide which scenario would look better in 2-3 years.

2. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    As long as by "playoff run" you don't mean a 9 win season and early exit from the playoffs, that would be without a doubt the best scenario. That would mean Philbin did enough right with this team and that they'd be headed in the right direction. As we've seen for the past 20 or so years, simply hiring a new coach does not guarantee anything. I don't have a ton of faith in Philbin, but that doesn't mean I'm rooting against him.

3. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Part of my diatribe, which I will just sprinkle into the thread as the discussion goes wherever it goes is that the answer for me depends on whether or not I think it's possible for Philbin and his staff to improve at this point. The team is 1-1 with a ton of football to be played. But we see this coaching staff making the same mistakes and creating the same situations that we have seen in the previous 3 years: Mismanaging talent, suspect in-game coaching decisions, players in open revolt of the game plan, etc. Is it really reasonable to expect them to improve in any of these areas? Or is it more likely that they will continue being exactly what they have proven to be up until this point which is, at best a mediocre coaching staff.

Dolphinzdawgg and Puka-head like this.
  4. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    That's a good point. And this was the other part of my long winded post. If the team ended with a 10-6 or better record and maybe advanced a game in the playoffs, would that mean Philbin had improved? I guess the argument I would make is that I think this roster has the talent to do that without it necessarily having to do with improvement by Philbin. If Tannehill continues to improve, he could carry this team to the playoffs and the defense has enough talent to be good again if they pull their heads out of their asses.

I guess when I'm thinking about this, I'm assuming Philbin continues to be the same level of coach he is today and that the likelihood of him improving at this point is slim to none. But certainly fair to have your line of thinking.

sports24/7 likes this.
  5. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I don't want this team to lose. I hate that this franchise has slowly sucked the fandom out of me the last decade or so. But, I can't believe that we all haven't seen enough to figure out Philbin isn't Head Coach material and his players don't play hard for him.

6. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I think the vast majority of Dolphin fans have known for some time that Philbin just isn't a good NFL head coach. Unfortunately we don't get a vote in the matter of selecting the teams head coach.

The one and only vote which matters is Ross and he alone has been the person who has decided to keep Philbin as the head coach, even though he has a losing record in his three plus years as the head coach of the Dolphins.

7. CashInFist

CashInFist Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    Should be an poll option to get to the playoffs and find a new head coach next year. Why can't we have both?

Dolphinzdawgg and Bumrush like this.
  8. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    In a perfect world, but you and I and everyone else on this board knows there is 0.0 chance that this team makes the playoffs and Philbin gets fired. And honestly I'm not sure we as fans would want him to be fired if playoffs happened, nor would it be particularly fair. Chances are, if the team makes the playoffs, we would assume it meant Philbin had turned a corner into being a better coach. Even if that assumption would be a mistake. That's why I think it's better to ask that question now when the season could go either way from here.

CashInFist likes this.
  9. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    While I have never felt Philbin is a good NFL head coach. Like you, I could accept him remaining the head coach if the Dolphins make the playoffs this year.

With a 1-1 record and a terrible loss to a bad Jags team yesterday. Coming back and getting the team into the playoffs would show that the coaches finally got their act together and that the players went out and played to a higher level in an attempt to make the playoffs and to save Philbin's job.

To me it has always been about the team making the playoffs this year for Philbin to retain his job. Hopefully Ross is on board with this same view of what he expects form Philbin and this coaching staff this year.

Dolphinzdawgg likes this.
  10. Kud_II

Kud_II Realist Division

Oct 15, 2011
    Seneca, SC
    Dude get Philbin out of my face for real. We won't make the playoffs so the scenario is highly unlikely. It truly makes me sick the Dolphins can't find a competent HC with a nutsack attached.

11. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii

I never liked his hiring from day one. I have been on this forum calling for his firing for well over a year.

I was was merely expressing an opinion of what it would take for me to accept Philbin coming back next year. Do I expect it to happen? Most likely not, but if the team somehow wins enough games to make it into the playoffs after losing to the Jags yesterday. I have no doubt Ross would keep Philbin as the teams head coach.

On a personal level, they could fire Philbin today and I would throw a party to celebrate. In fact I would have a drink to celebrate and I haven't had a drink since I was 24 years old and that was 41 years ago.

12. DolphinGreg

DolphinGreg Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 7, 2014
    Well, you basically answered your own question, didn't you MB?

If you're thinking "long term," you probably aren't thinking Philbin. I can't imagine very many people are going to stand up and promote the guy. I can see folks defending him on issues that simply aren't his fault (and there are several of those), but no one is going to say he's the key to a Super Bowl and that is what the "long term" is about.

I think it's somewhat safe to conclude that the "long term" very likely does not include Philbin.

Dolphinzdawgg and MonstBlitz like this.
  13. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    IMO this team isn't going to achieve highly under the Philbin/Tannehill duo. It's all about HC and QB, and this pairing isn't getting it done. Personally I'd have fired Philbin months ago, and then see if Tannehill can make better strides under a new staff.

14. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I think Tannehill would flourish under a competent coaching staff. He's improved every year in spite of subpar coaching. And we do have to give some of that credit to Lazor and maybe even Philbin. But they haven't done enough. To have a QB with Tannehill's numbers and no playoff appearance, especially last season, is a sign of poor coaching in many other areas.

15. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    This staff isn't mediocre; it's bad.

Dolphinzdawgg, Bumrush and resnor like this.
  16. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Playoff run would mean Philbin and company got a clue so that's probably the best scenario. Don't hold your breath.

17. Phoenician Fan

Phoenician Fan Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    None of the above: I would fire Philbin,Coyle, and Benton yesterday and just give the team to Duffner going forward.

18. Jen

Jen New Member

Apr 20, 2012
    Danbury,CT
    I voted "another failed season". Look, I've been suffering with this team for the past 30 years, and not about to put myself out of my own misery. I *want* the team to make the playoffs, and I *want* Philbin and this coaching staff to succeed, but at this time, I don't believe they are capable. Leaving Philbin in charge of this team is like giving the keys to a Ferrari to an old lady. What good is such a car if you don't know how to open it up, let it rip and drive it properly? We have a ****load of talent on the roster that is not being utilized properly. I also suspect that the players don't believe in the coaching staff.

Dolphinzdawgg and MonstBlitz like this.
  19. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    I hear ya' MB, but if the team could go 10 - 6 just based on talent alone, then the same could or should be said if they have a losing record. Then for a coach to be considered good he would have to take them further, which would be conference championship or Superbowl. We have some talent, but I don't know if any coach would be able to that with this team at this point. With that said, I will always take more wins now.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  20. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    My thoughts exactly. Funny you used a car analogy. During the off season I likened what Hickey/Tannebaum/Ross did with the overhaul of this roster to completely overhauling a car that hasn't been running quite right. Give it a new paint job, new leather seats, brand new sound system, fancy tires and rims. But leaving the same engine (coach and staff). Because there's no chance that was part of the problem, right? To change the team this much and leaving an inept coaching staff in charge of it was wasting a season.

Dolphinzdawgg and LBsFinest like this.
  21. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    This is not a defense of Philbin or the staff, but you have to also keep in mind that the grass 'aint always greener on the other side. Sometimes it's just a darker shade of s--t. Going back to Saban. Most were into him and his attitude as well as his "college" resume. We know how that turned out. There was Parcells and Sparano and the WC taking us to a division title in their first year(IMO, Chad P had as much to do with the success of that season as anybody. Probably the most).We liked Sparano and his no nonsense rah, rah attitude going forward and look how that turned out. Ray Farmer hasn't yet proven to be the awesome GM that some thought he would be. Fisher isn't the superstar "vet" coach that some thought he would be, Chip Kelly may be insane, etc, etc, etc, etc.

I am not saying we should be happy and a team should always keep the status quo. I do think that "special" talent, in all of it's forms(physical, mental, etc), as well as a little luck reigns supreme. Who knows. Just sprinkling a bit of reality in there to maybe further bum us out.

22. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    22 to 8, yikes....sad that we as fans feel this way, only one man to blame by the way...and it's not Queasy (though he's a joke too).

23. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    A very valid point. It can always get worse. I guess it's all about finding that point where you lose almost complete hope that the coaching staff has the ability to coach a consistently good team that can make it to a superbowl. Because once you get to that point, it doesn't matter that it can get worse. You have to at least try to get better. I think we are just about there with Philbin. We should know for sure by the end of this year.

texanphinatic and Sceeto like this.
  24. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Yes sir. Hopefully not because I want to win, but maybe before the end of the year.

25. jcliving

jcliving Active Member

Aug 19, 2014
    As inconsistent as opinions are on this board, I am happy we do not get a vote. I do not believe that Philbin will grow into a goof head coach. I do not believe that Coyle will develop into a good defensive coordinator. I do believe that Lazor is growing each week, and I do believe that Philbin is not helping him to suceed.

26. Atwellphotography

Atwellphotography New Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Laurel Md.
    8-8 is not a losing record.. Just... For the record lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

27. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I believe he has already developed into a goof coach... :lol:

[​IMG]

^credit to Bpk on the gif...

28. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    As much as I am disappointed in the coaching staff to this point, I will not pull against my team just to be rid of them. Further if we make a playoff run that should mean they have gotten their act together for the betterment of all.

Puka-head likes this.
  29. Phins Up Wins Up

Phins Up Wins Up Banned

Nov 27, 2014
    Not only a failed season but a good draft pick. Going 8-8 not only keeps you from making the playoffs but also keeps you from a top pick. We need a stud offensive lineman, MLB, CB, or FS with that 1st round pick. Best player available among those positions. Give me a top 5 or 8 pick.

30. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I don't think anyone should be cheering against the team at this point. As I've said a couple times already, regardless of my poll choice, I still will cheer this team every Sunday and hope for the playoffs and beyond. But I think it's possible this team gets into the playoffs at 9-7 or 10-6 and Philbin and company might still not be any better a coaching staff than they are right now.

31. Tin Indian

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    I hear you and that's why I said should! I have not seen anything from these guys so far to give me reason to believe they can get their act together.

I can hope though, because I do believe there is value in continuity, but if it ain't work'in, it ain't work'in.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  32. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    ^ Agree 100% in the value of continuity. I just wish we could get a coach in here worthy of patience. Everyone loves to talk about how patient the Steelers are with their coaches, but the coaches they have been so patient with have delivered results within their first 3 years of being in the league.

Tin Indian likes this.
  33. Phins Up Wins Up

Phins Up Wins Up Banned

Nov 27, 2014
    tannehill needs Sean Payton

Dolphinzdawgg and gunn34 like this.
  34. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Never could understand the scrutiny of Tannehill and his progress. Tannehill's QB coach had zero experience when he was hired. What the hell gave anyone the idea Tannehill would excell with Taylor as his coach. Get a real QB coach who actually knows the game and Tannehill would blow up.

Dolphinzdawgg and Puka-head like this.
  35. bakedmatt

bakedmatt Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Does Philbin or Sherman or Taylor get any credit for the progress he HAS made to this point?

36. Tin Indian

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    Look if it all comes down to it and Philbin and Payton are fired at seasons end I would hop right on to the Sean Payton Bandwagon. Give me a horn, I'm in.

We have a long way to go still this season and we will just have to wait and see how things play out. At this point it is all just pipe dreams.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  37. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    I could honestly see that happening. I live in Saints country. I hear the rumblings.....

38. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Taylor joined the Dolphins from Texas A&M University, where he served as the offensive graduate assistant and tight ends coach.

Is it possible, yes. But, I can say NO with reasonable certainty because position coaches - coach players, Philbin and Sherman are Big picture guys. I also believe Tannehill took his biggest strides when Marino showed up on the scene. No coincidence there.

39. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Aside from the obvious nepotism, Taylor was not a bad college QB. You have to start somewhere. Sherman is not all that bad of an offensive mind. I think they did right by Tanny in the very beginning in making him learn certain QBing nuances. You wanna talk about RAW with Tannehill coming out of college? He had to learn to be an NFL QB. My problem is, he has to learn how to win, and win by will. His decision making has gotten better, but I do still see some apprehension and slowness in anticipation. I do not know if it's a lack of belief in his ability to make a certain throw (surely, that's not the case, huh?), or if he was coached this way? And was he coached this way because the staff sees something in certain throws that we don't? Trust me, they know a helluva lot more about Tannehill than we will ever know. I do believe they are doing their best to "make" him into a very good NFL QB, but sometimes, you can only do so much. Eventually, you leave it up to the players to put it out on the field.

Tannehill could not have been in a better position to succeed right out of college; not having to learn a new system, not having to learn new coaches. So part of this IS on him. So we have the new system with Lazor. For the most part, he has done well considering the new system. They are incorporating more down-the-field throws. Some of these throws, Tannehill just misses. Not bad misses, though. He's getting better.

I think this staff uses certain play-calls to minimize Tannehill's faults. Look at the wideouts: Landry - a guy who can take a 2-yard toss and gain a first down. Jennings - the savvy vet who runs a good route tree. Stills - deep threat? Parker - A kid who has an amazing catch radius. Cameron - Big TE who has solid hands and is a huge mismatch. Matthews - A guy who has Tannehill's trust. I don't think the staff saw Matthews coming.

They all do some things very differently. This staff is putting it out there on a platter for Tannehill. This team has put their faith in him. So what's the common denominator if this offense doesn't make the comeback wins against teams like the Jags? Some will say the O-line. There are many solid-to-great QBs with a crappy line and still make it happen. Tannehill doesn't with any frequency whatsoever.

This team is handing everything they can to him to help him become successful. If they don't turn it around soon (if HE doesn't turn it around soon), I could see Tannehill regressing under a new coach, or maybe even getting traded to a team like the Redskins.

And I chose Philbin because I like Tannehill. I want him to become the face of this franchise. A new coach might just blow some sh!t up, and Tannehill getting traded becomes very real.

Sceeto likes this.
  40. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    I appreciate your optimism about the coaching staff and Tannehill. It is rare to have that unwavering support of a fan like you. Great to see and hear and coodoos to you!!

I do however have to respectfully disagree with you because it was Philbin's responsibility to fix the offensive line, which is still not fixed. Puts Tannehill in a very negative spot.

It was Philbins responsibility to hire the best QB coach available and what did Tannehill get? ----------- a 2 yr TE coach from college who has never been a QB coach.

I understand Taylor was a college QB. However, he was mediocre at best. What makes him qualified to teach at a level much higher then he ever played? Nothing - Nepotism at its finest. Philbin let this teams W - L columns be determined by this guy making it or not. Wow, either Philbin is ignorant or he just didn't give a ****.

I agree everyone has to start somewhere. Just not this team, this QB, NOT right now.

Probably the biggest blunder Philbin has made.

It was no secret Tannehill was a converted wide receiver with only two yrs college exp as a QB. I mean geez everyone knows you live or die by your QB. Goodness you think Philbin would have been all over it.

As far as the receivers go we decided to give up 3 yrs of timing and repetition in favor of starting over. IMO the insane asylum doors were open. Maybe in a rebuilding year. But NOW?

Lets look at the offensive line, which is still, after 3 years, is not close to what it needs to be to compete in the NFL. Staring us in the face are 1 or 2 injuries that could cause us to start out 1-4 if we are not careful. If that happens, I see no possible way we make the playoffs.