1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monday Night Football's New Announcers..like'em or not?

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by padre31, Sep 15, 2009.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Caught the Bills/Patriots game and most of the Chargers Raiders game on MNF.

Jon "Chucky" Gruden replaced Tony Kornheiser and Ron "Jaws" Jaworski was also in the booth with Mike Tirico and I thought they did a great job, Jaws at explaining Qb play and Gruden offering up some insights into the game from a Coaches perspective.

Game 2 the Bolts and the team ran by an extra from Night of the Living Dead featured Steve Young Mike Golic and Mike Greenberg, to me Young did not do as good a job as Jaws did at breaking down Qb play but does know what offenses should be doing, and I liked Mike & Mike in the booth as they seemed "fresh" if that is the term, they were not bland, polished pros and reminded me a bit of what it may have been like in the AFL days as they were excited about the game.

I thought it was a great night of NFL football and the announcers only added to the experience instead of mumbling their way through a game and taking away from the action out on the field.

2. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    loved jaws and gruden.......except for gruden saying todd light for 3 / 4 of the game instead of matt light.....he knows his stuff. i am neutral on tirico.

mike and mike was terrible. mike greenberg is pathetic. i hate listening to him talk, he sucks, his voice is squeaky, hes god awful imo.

mike golic sounds like hes eating as he talks....but atleast he played and knows his stuff. steve young i never liked, but i dont mind him on mnf.

3. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    I like Gruden a lot, to bad he wont be there long, as i see next year him back in coaching

steveincolorado likes this.
  4. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Like the Gruden addition quite a bit. He and Jaws will definately raise the level of that crew.
    Can't stand Tirico

steveincolorado likes this.
  5. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    Anything, and I mean anything would be an improvement over Tony Kornheiser. A trained chimp would be an improvement!

In all seriousness, I like Jaws. Although, he can be a bit much at times (as he was showing his man love of Tammy Brady last night). Tirico is OK. I've heard better, I've heard worse. And, Gruden does well for a rookie color man, I think. Thought is was kinda funny when he and Jaws disagreed on what the coverage was on a play in the Patsies/Bills game. Jaws said is was man, and Gruden immediately called it zone. Couldn't tell which one was right, but I picked up on the disagreement. Honestly, just I don't understand the need for three guys in a booth though. Two man teams are fine IMO. I like the new SNF tandem of Collinsworth and Michaels.

TiP54 likes this.
  6. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, I wouldn't call Greenie pathetic, I liked that he was not really a jock and was more of a fan/announcer and both Mikes were neutral on the teams, if I had one complaint about the lead announcing crew is they sucked up to the Patriots the entire game.

Greenie's squeaky voice was the antithesis of the typical polished football announcer guy.

7. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    the backup crew of Greenberg and Golic with Young were aweful. It sounded like a local high school crew. Golic was okay, but the other two were really really bad.

Gruden is great, he's not always correct, but he's great.

8. Dolphin1184

Dolphin1184 Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Augusta, GA
    I actually liked Mike and Mike's announcing the game. Maybe it is because I like M&M in the morning. But I really enjoyed the neutrality and the actual football conversation and analysis was very good.

All in all, I thought both crews were solid and the football IQ has improved tremendously with no Kornheiser.

9. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    I don't think Gruden sucked up to the Pats... it actually sounded at times like he had money on the Bills, he really liked what their defense was doing until the end of course. Loved Corner and McGee.

10. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    I agree with pretty much everyone. Guys like Gruden, Jaws, even Greeny and Golic are obviously passionate about the game and that translates into a natural sense of excitement when watching them.

Tirico is a corporate stooge. He spent most of the game calling them "Brady and the Pats." It's clear he works for ESPNBoston.

Young I'm apathetic towards. He isn't nearly the analyst that Jaws is, and gets lazy when not talking about the QB position.

I'd take the rest pretty much any game of the week, especially Gruden and Jaws. They did a great job of pointing out the little things last night.

11. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I like the new crew. Gruden and Jaws bring a ton of football knowledge and are entertaining to listen to.

I also liked Mike and Mike. I liked their energy although Young isn't my favorite guy to listen to.

MrClean likes this.
  12. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I felt like we were in for great things when they announced the MNF crew months ago. They haven't disappointed. Jaws and Gruden are great in there. Tirico isn't my favorite, but he's not bad either. To me, the color guys are what's most important. And those two are excellent.

The Sunday night games are better too with Collinsworth and Michaels. The Thursday night games should be good too, with Bob Papa and Matt Millen. Papa is very good (football and boxing) and Matt Millen is a great color guy.

The national games certainly upgraded this year.

13. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    finally.

14. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Funny, when I drove to work this morning, SIRIUS NFL Radio's Schein and Rich Gannon were bashing the second crew from last night (mike, mike and steve). Basically saying that ESPN has a bunch of good crews they could have used for the game, with plenty of college football experience. I like it when they bash ESPN. It's essentially NFL network (Sirius NFL Radio) vs ESPN. Although I like Schefter and I'm disappointed he's now with ESPN.

15. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    Gruden is better than Cornhole. Nuff said.

MrClean likes this.
  16. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    Wow ... I don't know what transmission I was listening to, but I thought the main MNF crew last night was abysmal. They were missing calls all over the place and making repeated errors. I didn't watch the second game.

The Sunday Night Football broadcast, meanwhile, has improved drastically with the pairing of Michaels and Collinsworth. I think Collinsworth is a smug SOB, but his insight and analysis are very keen.

17. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Greenie was killing me too

Jaws and Gruden are the best pairing I've seen in some time....Tirico was like Nitrogen, pretty much inert

18. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Replacing Kornholer with Gruden is like trading a Yugo for a Ferrari.

19. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Gruden has found his calling, and he'd do well to cultivate it and get really good at it.

late again likes this.
  20. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    I liked Jaws and Gruden just fine. They know what they're talking about; lots of knowledge and insight. My one knock on Gruden though was that, at times, he got a little carried away with the superlatives. At times he kind of reminded me of Theismann with them. Hopefully he finds some middle ground and settles in.
    I'm okay with Mike and Mike. I like their morning radio show. I know Greenburg is a Jets homer, but he's much more tolerable as the "voice of the fan" than some have been.

21. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    They swapped him for Thiesman.