1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monopoly question(board game)

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by PeaTearGriffin, Oct 2, 2008.

1. PeaTearGriffin

PeaTearGriffin Season Ticket Holder

Dec 8, 2007
    When a player lands on a property that has hotels and does not have enough cash to pay the other player; and has already mortgaged all of his property. Would all of his property go to the player who owned that property or can he sell the property to the highest bidder to pay off the rent...but still be knocked out of the game?

2. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    I think house rules would prevail in most cases. If all property is already mortgaged and you land on a hotel and are out of cash I would say that person would be out of the game because they really don't have any bargaining chips left on the table.

texanphinatic and PeaTearGriffin like this.
  3. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    Never heard of being able to sell it to the highest bidder, seems unfair in that it'd just hand the game to the richest player a lot of times. I thought you had to sell it to the bank, then that money went to the player who owns the property you landed on, and everyone then had a chance to buy the now available properties at the cheaper rate once they landed on them.

BigDogsHunt and PeaTearGriffin like this.
  4. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    holy cow. i havent played monopoly since i was 12

vmarcilfan75 and PeaTearGriffin like this.
  5. Ultra

Ultra Lazy

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas
    I agree, most people play their own rules in that situation. If I'm remembering this correctly, I think the player goes out and those properties return to the bank mortgaged. then I think the bank auctions off the propties to any player in an effort to unmortgage the properties.... may be just some crazy house rules we play though haha

PeaTearGriffin and BigDogsHunt like this.
  6. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I think DonShula has the official rules. Around our place you're done.

PeaTearGriffin likes this.
  7. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    In that situation, I believe the player mortgages all his property and pays the resulting funds to the player who bankrupted him. Then, the mortgaged property is audctioned off one piece at a time, with the money going to the bank. These auctioned properties remained mortgaged until such time as the players who buy them see fit to unmortgage them.

8. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    Whoops. DonShula was right. The situation I described only applies if the player goes bankrupt because of money owed to the bank -- not another player.

9. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    My father, a CPA, was a brutal Monopoly player. As a kid, you would literally end up in tears after a game with him.

like2god likes this.
  10. WharfRat

WharfRat Malignant Lunatic

CPA = Corporal Punishment Advocate?

that explains the tears....

like2god, Big E and opfinistic like this.
  11. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    :pointlol:

Wish I thought of that when I was a kid. Tough having a CPA as a Dad. You need cash to go out for the weekend, he wants an itemized estimate on what you're gonna spend it on, then receipts. Try burying weed money in a $20 bill.

12. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I can appreciate the pain you went thru, as a 6 year old my brothers would absoultely destroy me in monopoly, to the point where I would leave the game in tears. They were ruthless... but it was terrible luck, I would always roll the number required to land on the hotels of the expensive properties... ALWAYS!! :pity:

opfinistic likes this.
  13. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    rofl.... you've been watching the Fed too much.

if you were a financial company and the "bidder" were some suits in D.C., i guess you could play with those rules.... but only if the debt they were buying was distressed.

were you playing monopoly with Paulson & Bernanke? :lol:

14. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    heh, the real reason he wanted those receipts was so he could deduct those expenses himself as business related expenses... brilliant. :yes:

opfinistic likes this.
  15. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Time to start a support group. :pointlol:
    You're probably right. I'm gonna contact him for my cut.

Paul 13 likes this.
  16. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    i once played a one on one game of monopoly with my dad as a kid. i lost in 13 minutes. 13. in monopoly.

he got around the board before me, and bought baltic and mediterranean and put hotels on them. meanwhile i had bought up a bunch of property my first time around. i hit both the purples and it bankrupts me. i barely got around the board once. most god awful board game experience of my life

WharfRat and opfinistic like this.
  17. Ultra

Ultra Lazy

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas
    that's acutally a good experience in Monopoly. it's the games that last for 6 hours that suck, haha

18. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    One on one sucks. You can usually determine who will win by the second pass. Congrats on having the worst game of Monopoly in history. Ever.

19. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    Wow, cant believe I was right. Havent played Monopoly in years lol. Guess it's one of those games that stays with you.

WharfRat and opfinistic like this.
  20. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    mods please move this thread to the financial forum.

21. PeaTearGriffin

PeaTearGriffin Season Ticket Holder

Dec 8, 2007
    Yeah i know...it was one of the lamest arguments ever. It was my roommate and said he was bankrupted because he could still sell his property to someone else. He works for Bank of America so I guess he only plays by real world rules.

texasPHINSfan likes this.
  22. WharfRat

WharfRat Malignant Lunatic

:sidelol:

good one! :up:

but.... no.

unluckyluciano likes this.