1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More fuel for my anti-diet soda campaign

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by Pandarilla, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    God I hate diet soda, and I consume a crap ton of Mt. Dew. As the pounds pile on, I still can't stand the though of switching to that swill...and now there's this

http://www.grist.org/scary-food/201...t-soda-dont-be-a-fashion-victim-pepsi-strokes

Did I mention I hate diet soda?

ToddsPhins and jason8er like this.
  2. aesop

aesop Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2008
    NYC
    It's a catch-22. Sugar is a bad substance when abused and can lead to other health problems. Moderation is what wins.

3. jason8er

jason8er Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Beaufort, SC
    You should bro, this is probably the most dangerous food additive there is. The FDA reports that the majority of adverse reactions from food additives comes from aspartame, and it ain't pretty. It should have never, EVER been approved for consumption.

After you ingest it, it quickly breaks down into its three main components:

Phenylalanine: Peolpe who suffer from PKU can't metabolize phenylalanine, so it typiclly builds to dangerous levels in their brain. But, you don't need to have PKU for this to happen now. Just regularly eat and drink products with aspartame instead. :up:

Methanol: This is also known as wood alcohol, and is a deadly poison in its own right. It breaks down into, among other things, formaldehyde, which is a "cummulative poison" much like mercury, as its hard for the body to get rid of.

Aspartate: This is THE most powerful excitotoxin of the brain. It can literally excite your brain cells to death, and will do so on a huge scale before any neurological symptoms rear their ugly heads.

These ***holes mixed up a cocktail of neurotoxins that break down into their main toxic components at about 87F (this can happen right in the package on a warm loading dock). Then some other ***holes approve it in our food.

Then these same ******** at the FDA wonder why they see so many adverse reactions like migraines, nausea, muscle spasms, rashes, fatigue, irritability, tachycardia, insomnia, vision problems, hearing loss, heart palpitations, breathing difficulties, seizures, depression, anxiety attacks, slurred speech, loss of taste, tinnitus, memory loss, joint pain, vertigo, and yes......weight gain and obesity.

This post was the incredibly short version of what this **** does to your body. It gets worse.

MikeHoncho and Pandarilla like this.
  4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I enjoy diet soda, used to drink a fair amount of it as well, cut back to black tea.

And it should be pointed out J8, that any processed food has some less then savory additives, read the back of a box of cereal, deli products, even white bread, and the same list can be constructed.

Yummy..nitrates!

jason8er likes this.
  5. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    im pretty skeptical on this after poking around some sites. seems pretty low on any priority list if we are going to rank things to worry about during the day. you know...like a guy that blogs about aspartame every day but doesnt buckle his seatbelt on his rides to work

maybe some people have some mild reactions, but this not uncommon even for completely natural foods

ideally, we would all drink spring water and eat the food off of our land, but its not reasonable. for many people, the choice is diet or regular soda. surely the diet is better for them in the long run. most of the things that say diet soda and obesity are connected are not casual. its the lady getting her up sized fast food meal with a diet coke. water cant help her

i typically drink water, diet soda and the arizona arnold palmers. those have splenda. i haven't had a regular soda in years. once i cut those out, my weight dropped quite a bit; like 20 pounds just from cutting out drink calories

Pandarilla likes this.
  6. jason8er

Dec 7, 2007
    Beaufort, SC
    Manufacturers go to great lengths to hide specific additives in their products. So, just because you don't see it on the lable, doesn't mean it's not in there. And your right, even bottled water has undesirables in it.

7. jason8er

Dec 7, 2007
    Beaufort, SC
    Well, the choice long term would be brain lesions vs. pancreatic lesions. How about neither?

If I had to choose, I take sugar anytime. As I do real butter over margarine.

While people do behave that way, the real concern is the lesions these kinds of neurotoxins can cause in the hunger centers of your brain.

The lateral hypothalamus is the area where your brain measures glucose and other nutrients in the blood following absorbtion. When levels are adaquate, it tells you you're not hungry anymore. You feel what is known as satiation. The stomach does this first as it feels expansion, but that doesn't last long. Your hunger centers in the hypothalamus are the main mechanism to keeping you feeling satisfied throughout the day and night.

When you cause damage to this area, like these neurotoxins can, they dysfunction. You never feel satitated, never "full" or "satisfied". The result is over eating with no control. THIS is where the "diet products make you fatter" talk comes from.

Pandarilla likes this.
  8. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Mother earth is a whore that's been ravaged over and over. Even stuff out of the ground is full of crap.

9. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Thank you Jason8er, that was a great and concise amount of information. I believe the article places the FDA approval squarely on the shoulders of Rumsfeld, believe it or not.

I did see a comment that made me LULZ hard, though. Some dude wrote "Truth-partame" in one of his comments referring to media coverage of 9/11 and subsequent fallout...So funny.

10. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Thank you Jason8er, that was a great and concise amount of information. I believe the article places the FDA approval squarely on the shoulders of Rumsfeld, believe it or not.

I did see a comment that made me LULZ hard, though. Some dude wrote "Truth-partame" in one of his comments referring to media coverage of 9/11 and subsequent fallout...So funny.

11. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    I'd rather drink my own piss before wolfing down any of that carbonated crapola. Diet or otherwise. If it's sugar, it's bad for you; if it's a sugar-like substitute it's even worse.

Two words: Mango Nectar.

For.The.Win.

Pandarilla likes this.