1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More thoughts on the Camarillo trade...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolfan7171, Aug 25, 2010.

1. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/16921/dolphins-ship-camarillo-to-vikes-for-sapp

2. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Wow, I had no idea about the punter-walkon stuff. I really hope he makes it big up there, just not after week 2.

3. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Man, i just really dont like this move. It may honestly be one of the worst moves this regime has made thus far....

4. frozenfin

frozenfin Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Horray we get a CB who doesn't intercept balls, we really need another one of those.

5. Phinatic425

Phinatic425 MIA State of Mind

Feb 19, 2010
    Upper Left Corner
    "This is a great opportunity for Greg to play with one of the best quarterbacks ever."

[​IMG]...

He already has

dolfan7171, cdz12250 and Wildcat23 like this.
  6. Wildcat23

Wildcat23 Here kitty kitty

Nov 9, 2009
    No. You may like him, but lets face it, we are at a stage of our offense where we no longer need Cam. We are on to bigger and better things. Plus he was a 4th WR anyway.

7. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    He intercepted 2 the year prior. May just depend on how they use him.

8. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    dumb...d... dumb dumb trade

dolfan7171 likes this.
  9. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    I love Cammy but realistically with Marshall on the team, Hartline growing and Bess being Bess there wasn't enough balls to go around. Cammy realistically might have only been able to make 15-20 catches if that with limited time. With David Martin we probably go 2 TE sets or 3 WR sets.

With Will Allen down for a while and Nolan looking shaky at nickel this will shore up that spot. Not to mention give some development room for Moore who brings more speed to the spot.

10. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Fine trade for a player they were thinking about cutting anyways.

Something a lot of people told me had no chance of happening, has just happened.

texanphinatic and 54Fins like this.
  11. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    If Hartline continues having the dropsies and/or this Sapp guy[sorry, never heard of him before this] barely helps the D then Dolphins fans will be screaming bloody murder over this one.

I wonder if they did this out of desperation? What about Will Allen, is his injury worse?

Who wants to bet Camarillo burns us in week 2 and scores a touchdown?

DolfanJake likes this.
  12. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    Sapp"s a Ft. Lauderdale dude. He's 29 though.

13. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    More or less, he was quality depth but barring injuries who would be fortunate to see 300 plays this yr, if that many, last yr he led all Wr's in plays.

14. Wildcat23

Wildcat23 Here kitty kitty

Nov 9, 2009
    Good reports tho, All Im hearing from vikings forums is that he was a great sure tackler and hard hitter. Good on ST as well. Nice pick up for us I see. Tho...I did see one of them say cam is explossive and if harvin cant play cam can return punts....?! hmm well take it with a grain of salt haha

15. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    Yeah, Cam was a crazy punt returner for us :rolleyes:

VanDolPhan likes this.
  16. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    merge

17. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    That is complete and utter crap. Just because you've been spewing that idea since 2008 doesn't make it true. They WOULD NOT have cut him.

18. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Of course they would not have.

The fact they have traded him shows that they were thinking of it.

19. Mcduffie81

Mcduffie81 Wildcat Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Lake Worth, Fl.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbD4iHFi45A"]YouTube- O.J MCDUFFIE PUNT RETURN TD MIAMI DOLPHINS[/ame]
    That wasnt Camrillo?

MikeHoncho likes this.
  20. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Trading a player for compensation does not mean they would have cut that player if they couldn't get anything in return. Especially when that player has value to the team.

21. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

This is an obvious sign that Will Allen isn't coming along very well. They've said all along that they'd be happy with the group we have, but that 'group' included a healthy Will Allen. Sapp is a journeyman guy who has some experience both as a backup and a starter....

We'll all miss Cammy, mostly because of the Ravens game a few years ago, but realistically, Cammy and Bess are just about the same receiver...Both good slot guys with less than ideal speed. Bess might be slightly more elusive and Cammy has surer hands, but he's was the more logical guy to be moved.

All in all, it's probably going to end up being a win-win situation for both teams. Cammy will get the chance to play with one of the all time great QBs, and he complements the other receivers they have....He isn't a stranger to being put in the starting lineup either....

Sapp also isn't a total stranger to starting either. Filled in well on the corner for Minny last year and lets not forget that they were one interception from going to the SB...has played nearly every position in the secondary.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  22. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Depends on the compensation. It wasn't like the Vikings gave them an offer they couldn't refuse.

23. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

I liked Cammy and hate to lose him, but this looks like a decent trade to me, Cammy was at best going to be our 4th WR, not going to see that many snaps. Don't know a lot about the CB we got for him, but it's an area we need depth and veteran leadership, this guy could give us both.

Opens up the roster to keep Moore and Turner, maybe even Wallace. Or put Wallace on the PS, and yes I know his measurables will likely have a team picking him off the PS, but Wallace never played a down of football till 2004, he is a project, not gong to light up anybody's WR corps right away anyway.

texanphinatic and dolfan7171 like this.
  24. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Greg Camarillo could catch anything. That would have been useless considering he wouldn't have been thrown to much. He just wasn't going to get the ball thrown to him and quite frankly we needed a nickle corner. If he was good enough to play on the Vikings last year then he's good enough to play an even more reduced role with us. Cammy was an asset we couldn't use while we had a big liability in coverage.

Larryfinfan, dolfan7171 and gafinfan like this.
  25. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    I got your back. :knucks:

Dol-Fan Dupree likes this.
  26. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

Agree 110%.

I love you Cammy, thanks for the great memories you've given us! You were another who wore the # 83 with pride and never let it down. Farve and the Vikes just got a jewel of a guy!!!:up:

dolphindebby, NaboCane and CaribPhin like this.
  27. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    I feel like I ought to mention that Ireland hasn't really screwed up a trade yet (Dobbins, Fasano & Ayodele for a 4th, Marshall, McDaniels, trade back for Odrick turns into Misi, etc.). I'd say he's gotten equal or better value out of all of them.

He's screws up free agent signings, not trades.

With that record, I fully expect Sapp to be an excellent nickel corner or better.

rafael, keithjackson and Larryfinfan like this.
  28. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    That makes sense on why I didn't see him play in that Jacksonville game...

PhinsRock likes this.
  29. keithjackson

keithjackson Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    greg may be the better player, but our WR corp is still better than it was last year, completed even, and now our CB corp is better too. if benny is a quality nickel, this becomes a vital trade to the success of our season. that said, we all are sharing this moment of silence for a player we all could relate to, and the savior of a season - heck, the reputation of a franchise. there is not one dolfan among who won't remember greg camarillo with anything but thanks and fondness, even if he torches us in week two. there is no player i would rather be beaten by.

gafinfan, PhinsRock, Big Red and 2 others like this.
  30. Mcduffie81

Mcduffie81 Wildcat Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Lake Worth, Fl.
    ^ Interesting thought. The only ex Dolphin player I would'nt mind losing to would be Zach Thomas.

31. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    greg wasn't our leading receiver in 2008.

32. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

The only exception I have here is while the WR corps is and was our best strength on O, to say that we have enough speed to best utilize Marshall is an understatement... Hartline is the faster of he, Cammy and Bess. I don't know enough about the young guys, possibly Turner and Wallace have better inline speed, but they haven't exactly proven to be able to do things consistently...time will tell us though...

As to the trade, I do agree with ya...could be another one of those Fasano type trades that don't dazzle you, but wouldn't be considered a bad move either...

33. vikesfan

vikesfan New Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Sapp started 7 games for us last year with the injury to Winfield. He Started in the Dallas game and allowed Winfield to get healthy by letting Winny only playing the slot.

He could start on most teams. I rather a CB that i never hear his name called than a guy who grab 6 picks but gives up 12 td (Cromartie)

xer0, gafinfan, dolfan22 and 2 others like this.
  34. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    We gave away the most sure-handed Receiver in the league for a Corner who's small, slow and has only 4 INTs in 6 full seasons.

Simply unbelievable. Stunning. This is the kind of **** deal you expected during the Wannstedt administration, not from Parcells disciples.

Sceeto, gafinfan and Dolfan984 like this.
  35. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Come on Nabo, tell us what you REALLY think about the trade :lol:

36. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    You think Sage is going to start for them?:escape:

adamprez2003 likes this.
  37. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Rotoworld doesn't know very much about Camarillo, he can easily play the slot and iirc, he has played in the slot some in the past in Miami.

I'm beginning to suspect, from a value standpoint, Irish maybe got snookered, that is not to say a Marlon Moore or J Pruitt or whomever won't produce, however adding a mediocre Nickel Back in exchange for a starting caliber slot guy, and hoping a UDFA can produce seems a bit of a bad deal.

Hopefully Sapp shines from Day 1 on special teams, but as I think of him the name that comes to mind is "Michael Lehan".

gafinfan likes this.
  38. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    What good would this "starting caliber slot guy" do for us if he spends 80% of the time on the bench?

39. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    What Camarillo would have done in Miami is besides the point, what was he real time value in the NFL to a team? And did Irish capture that value, imho that is the question to be asked.

Greg C can easily catch 50-70 passes in that offense, is Sapp worth a similar value to the 2010 Dolphins?

gafinfan likes this.
  40. Dolfan984

Dolfan984 Underrated Free Agent

Apr 26, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    Nope. Not as a dime back. If Will Allen is done then we'll see. As far as long term IMO WR's have a longer shelf life than CBs.

Best of luck to Greg I'll root for you the rest of your career. and root HARD....damn near Sam Madison 2007 Giants hard.

gafinfan likes this.