1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Morning Nugget: A taste of Joe Philbin's post-game locker room rally

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Colmax, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    From NFLN's NFL AM:

Cut to the 'team gathering' moment with arms in the air, and Philbin sort of slips up, gives off a chuckle, and then shouts "Dolphins!".

What is interesting is how during HK, many here began to question his ability to communicate with his players, even questioning his interpersonal skills. I really do not see that now. Shouright intimated on why he was like this early in camp; though, initial reaction from some here was that he was a little aloof. He seems to be gaining command of this team now. Really nice to see.

Now if he can get the rally cry down, we'll be in business! :lol:

Moves, Sippi, the 23rd and 9 others like this.
  2. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I like Philbin. It seems like he is using the lack of league wide respect as a rallying point. Hopefully it keeps the team cohesive.

Bpk likes this.
  3. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Steve-Mo, dolfan7171, Bpk and 3 others like this.
  4. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    videos on the page for iPad are really a lottery, sometimes they don't load, sometimes it says video loading but your hear sound already....disaster

5. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    A lot of the issues people were overreacting to seem to have gone away for now. feels almost unnatural as a dolphins fan. maybe it's time to troll the Jets board.

dwhorton and Bpk like this.
  6. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Yup, or sometimes the sound doesn't work...Just an inconsistent nightmare which sucks. Otherwise there would be a lot of great content there.

7. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Yup, for some reason that was the first one it has allowed me to play in weeks.

8. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I had no idea if his players were gonna buy on, I just stayed neutral on it because I couldn't project some of the methods, did listen to Sho throughout the process, and so far he looks to be very accurate..

Philbin was excited about that win as I was, you could tell he found a new type of respect for the team, it's not easy to win the game when you have that many game changing calls go against you, the resiliency showed was impressive.

Bpk likes this.
  9. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I like the message that the schemes and play calls weren't going to win anything, it's all about the players. Only works if you actually have good schemes and play calls, though. If you don't then the players will start to resent that the coaches aren't doing their part to help win the games. But I think they're pretty sound schematically and the play calling isn't that bad...so it works.

Bpk likes this.
  10. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I like that he's cursing more. If he keeps up this pace, he'll be Rex Ryan by Week 10.

unifiedtheory likes this.
  11. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    It's a great speech because it highlights what this team did that was so special, which was bounce back from two heartbreaking losses in which they fought their hearts out, only to have another hard-fought game that ended with a win.

A lesser team would've been demoralized after the Jets and Cardinals games, and gone out there against Cincinnati and laid an egg. Not only did this team NOT do that, but it also had another of those kinds of games, and finished it off.

BIG time stuff there in terms of the development of this team's culture, and good to see it highlighted by the coach.

That kind of stuff needs to be underscored so it can be integrated into this team's identity and become part of the foundation for a winning culture moving ahead. Philbin appears to understand that, which IMO makes him a very unique coach.

Sippi, gafinfan and Bpk like this.
  12. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Starting the season against the Texans with a rookie QB was a very tough way to start this season out. The Jets got a taste of Mr sWatt last night that DE is good at his job extremely good. Watching the Dolphins players hang in this thing is showing what type of players and coaches are leading the team and the future really looks bright.

13. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    lol,
    He abbreviated bullsh&$ and he said ***..lol...go get'em tiger...he's savin it for the right moment X

14. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I totally thought he had probelmes connecting to the players during HK. Now I realize it may have been him acting different because the cameras are around. Even though he is way more open than the past regime in many ways, he still likes to keep certain moments and things private and in house.

Know what he is cultivating, imo? A sense of "Family". They are becoming a family in there and he is the Dad.

15. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

minus the snacks.

16. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    But there was a camera there for this speech, too.

I think the more accurate explanation was that he was playing it close to the vest while he was still getting to know his players, while creating a necessary air of authority for himself. Then once his 53 were decided on, he could become more open and intimate like you would in a "family" type situation.

There are times it's advisable NOT to connect with people, and people who are flexible enough to recognize those times and NOT connect are interpersonally more savvy, facile, and versatile than those who aren't.

And IMO it's proper not to connect too much with guys who are subject to being cut by you. Imagine if Philbin had "connected" with Chad Johnson and then had to cut him. You don't want to give a double-message. We aren't old friends here.

The lack of eye contact with Chad Johnson in their little "meeting" on HK later proved to be just what the doctor ordered, because Philbin could cut Johnson without going against the grain of a "connected" relationship they had developed.

gafinfan, muscle979 and djphinfan like this.
  17. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Jeff Darlington said Sunday afternoon that after being in the locker room during the week and hearing the players talk, he wasn't surprised they won.

He said those guys are buying in.

And this regime is definitely more open an honest. They don't sugarcoat a lot of things. If a guy is playing poorly, they say as much publicly. If something was a guy's fault, they admit it or clarify without throwing the guy under the bus.

It's a nice change.

Bpk and shouright like this.
  18. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    I think the players are probably recognizing that Joe Philbin's conscientiousness -- the same thing that made him pick up wrappers off the practice field -- is responsible for an intelligently prepared gameplan that puts them in position to play well and win.

And when you have that, you know the rest is on you, and it gears you up to play.

Califin and Bpk like this.