1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mort says Ronnie could be traded by week 1

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Jackson, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Jackson

Jackson Bruce Banner

Mar 24, 2008
    Connecticut/Florida
    http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

Is he serious?!

I'm really surprised at this comment, I expect more from Mort. the idea that ronnie would not be a fin when the regular season starts is crazy talk. Make no mistake, Ronnie will be on the team and when he is fully healthy, he will be the starter. Our offense will live and die based on our one two punch and there is no way the new regime gets rid of Ronnie and puts all their faith in Ricky. Nothing against ricky, I love watching him run but Ronnie is our main back

PMZQ, HULKFish and CrunchTime like this.
  2. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    Haha welcome to Billy land.

3. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Where could he go?

Anyone know who needs a dinged-back with loads of talent?

Imagine if he went to the Pats.

4. Bpk

These guys would trade the Dolphin on the helmet if anyone offered them a conditional pick for it.

5. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    :no:

Big E likes this.
  6. SCall13

SCall13 ThePhins QB

I'm not saying there is any truth to the rumor of Ronnie being traded, but I will say that I have my doubts that he will be our starter when he is healthy. Simply put, Ricky Williams is the better back and it's becoming more and more apparent that the new regime knows it without a doubt. Ronnie will spell Ricky when he's fully healthy, not the other way around. I'd say when Ronnie is 100%, the load will be about 60%-40% with Ricky getting the larger load.

texasPHINSfan, Pagan, gunn34 and 6 others like this.
  7. IceStorm

IceStorm New Member

Jun 25, 2008
    I heard what Mort said. But think about it for a moment. It makes absolutely ZERO sense. Why trade Ronnie? Ricky is getting paid the minimum. You don't need to trade Ronnie. He was leading the NFL last season before he got hurt. You'd trade a league rushing leader? What for?

I heard what he said, but it won't happen.

HULKFish likes this.
  8. Jackson

Jackson Bruce Banner

Mar 24, 2008
    Connecticut/Florida
    Why is ricky a better back? A few years ago yea, in his prime he was. And I would have said he still is except I watched ronnie last year on a terrible team lead the league and play lights out as if he was the hardest offensive player in the league to game plan against and stop. Ricky is gifted, no doubt. But, he is still a flight risk, getting older, and does not catch as well as Ronnie imo. I know people say Ricky is a harder back to bring down but after last year I'm not sure. I know he throws a stiff arm like no one else but Ronnie seems to have more balanced and breaks tackles EXTREMELY well. I hope they both have a huge year but after last year, Ronnie showed me he is the Future

HULKFish likes this.
  9. YBFM

YBFM New Member

Aug 16, 2008
    +1 :angry:

10. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    If thats true I will never buy a Dolphin Jersey ever again.

I have a Authentic Ronnie Brown Jersey and if he gets traded I'm going to flip the **** out.

I figured Ricky would be traded because he is going to be great this year never did I expect Ronnie Brown.

11. Bpk

I respect the way this staff handles its personnel promotions and demotions.

Absolutely merit-based, thus far.

And since ACTUAL performance is what matters on the field in games, this philosophy will improve us greatly.

This staff has seen fit to:

1) Acknowledge Ricky's great play by making him the #1 back
    2) Drop Wilford behind Hagan when Hagan outperformed him steadily, despite Wilford being one of 'their' signings and Hagan being 'someone else's' pick.
    3) Give Donald Thomas a starting spot based purely on performance, with no pedigree nor experience whatsoever
    4) Decisively elevate Henne ahead of McCown and Beck based on poise and rection to the pressure of competiton (both at the positional battle in camp and games)
    5) Move Kendall Langford to a starting spot

They are not afraid to move guys (theirs AND other regimes' guys) up or down the depth chart based solely on performance. Players who play WELL get to play. Players who don't, DON'T.

THAT'S how you run a successful team.

And all of it comes from this staff's CONFIDENCE in their own football knowledge. They trust theoir instincts, observations and own opinions. They are DECISIVE because of that confidence.

It has also let them confidently experiment with personnel. Matt Roth looks better at OLB than he ever has as a DE. These football men had the certainty of knowledge to see that Roth would be good at OLB, and the balls to move him, not caring what Roth was "supposed to be".

They also had the insight and confidence to:

1) Set Jason Allen as a safety ONLY, make him the starter, and keep him there (Bowles even implying he couldn;t believe the other coaching staffs would play him anywhere else)
    2) Try Vonnie at OLB, just to *see* if he could rush the passer effectively from out there and still cover backs. Whether it worked or not, they were not afraid to try it to get more out of our roster.
    3) Cut Jay Feely because of what they saw in Carpenter.

THESE MEN KNOW FOOTBALL.

Bottom line. They know how to get the most out of our talent. No more mismanagment of our roster. We are using players the way the SHOULD be used because our staff has the knowledge and confidence to do so.

This is a well run team.

And well run teams win games.

12. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    Schefter and his report on Ronnie I can agree on, Mort and his Ronnie report I can't. Why? Because I know Schefter is likely getting good stuff. The report from Mort doesn't make any sense, because salary isn't a problem with the team. RB is one heck of a player, and since he's not gonna make an impact to the cap, there's absolutely no reason to bother with terminating the guy's contract. He's young, capable, and an important offensive weapon. I wish I had a job where I could make up anything I felt like and only loosely justified it.

CrunchTime likes this.
  13. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Parcells and Co. were interested in trading Ronnie Brown if the price is right. No loyalty to any player no matter how productive or good is their motto.

Could that be the end of TD? :wink2:

[​IMG]

Ricky's Pipe likes this.
  14. SCall13

SCall13 ThePhins QB

Because RW is quicker, has better vision, is equally as powerful, has a faster GAME speed is on par as a receiver out of the back field. Even the players are saying they are afraid to tackle him. The guy is a beast and he is obviously on a mission. Obviously he is older, but he IS fresh and in great condition and has been nothing short of superb throughout the preseason (camp and games).

It's hard for me to say Ronnie is the future. It should be hard for anyone to say so. He is injured way too often. He has yet to play a full season. You can't pin "future" on an oft-injured back. He has talent of course. But talent does nothing for the team when he's standing on the sidelines with an injury for 4 or so games a season.

15. SCall13

SCall13 ThePhins QB

Great post! :up:

SuncoastFinsFan and Bpk like this.
  16. Bpk

LOL.

Dare you to start a thread saying TD has been traded to an AFL team for their ballboy.

17. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Man if ElCajonJeff sees this thread, he is going to be like a big kid in a candy store with a 100 bill in his hand.:lol: He has been all over trade Ronnie Brown, and get something while we can stick.

18. Jackson

Jackson Bruce Banner

Mar 24, 2008
    Connecticut/Florida
    I know the Ricky you are talking about.. I just am not sure that is the ricky we have. MAYBE we do. I agree he has looked good. I don't think he has looked explosive though. He has had a number of 7 yard runs, one or two 10 yard runs but hasn't out run anyone and broken it for a big run. He does look good though. I am just not sure what we have in him yet. Come a month into regular season, I hope he looks like the Ricky of old. Until then, I like me a HEALTHY Ronnie Brown (fingers crossed) starting and a heavy dose of ricky. And When I say heavy I mean Even split in carries in some games. In fact, I don't mind Ricky getting more as long as he has the hot hand so to speak. As long as we win I don't care all that much.:up:

19. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    This is a ridiculous idea from Mort. I'm involved in a fantasy draft at the moment and will go into detail later. :)

Jackson likes this.
  20. Striking

Striking Junior Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Aurora, Colorado
    Who is leaking this stuff to the media? The weekly drama exercise needs to stop. :tantrum:

21. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    My guess is that Mort actually meant Ricky... instead of Ronnie... maybe he was eating a donut when he said it... I challenge anyone to say Ricky when they have a mouthful of food...

Ozzy likes this.
  22. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I cant see this happening... if it does... somethings definately not right here. Why would you trade our most talented offensive player? I just... cant see this being reality

23. vmarcilfan75

vmarcilfan75 blah...blah...blah... Club Member

Dec 13, 2007
    City Of Angels
    i think Houston could use a back.

24. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I think they like the rookie Slaton. He's good for their zone blocking scheme since he's a one-cut and go back. I don't know if Ronnie would fit in their offensive plans :dunno:.

25. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    I could see them moving RB for a 2 round pick and a lil bit more.

26. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    but i wouldn't do it...............

27. Styla

Styla #1 Davone Bess Fan!!!

Apr 1, 2008
    Chillaxin' in So.Cal

28. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    I live in Maine and i moved up here from FL in 1992, so i saw every thing Bill did up here in New England.

Soon as he came here i knew ZT and JT were gone.He trades the best players on his new teams for picks.

I think it would be dumb as well, but nuthing Bill says or does shocks me anymore.

29. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Brown has struggled in the preseason? :sidelol: well no kidding, he's had what... 5 carries in two games, and is returning from a knee injury... what did you seriously expect... come on..

I just dont buy it, theres no way we trade this guy

Kanye West and Ozzy like this.
  30. Styla

Styla #1 Davone Bess Fan!!!

Apr 1, 2008
    Chillaxin' in So.Cal

31. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    I can't see Ronnie being our most talented player.

32. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    For most of RB days in Miami he played like a top 20 back.Then last year he played like one of the best.

He's never ever going to play like he did last year ever again because of his injury.so i'd say his best days are gone, just like Frank Gore, but FG still a hell of a back.

Bill Parcells traded Irving Fryer to us, when he took over the pats.for a 2 and a 3.So he does trade stars.He also sent Joey Galloway on his way when he took over in Dallas.

33. TotoreMexico

TotoreMexico Your retarded

Jan 4, 2008
    Mexico
    So, we are trading Ronnie because he has struggled in the PRESEASON?

Wow...

34. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    Yep , welcome to Billyland.It is nuts!!

35. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    Perhaps that story was planted to put a little fear in Ronnie and help him get over the mental hump quicker.

Other than that, it makes no sense. Not when Ricky is still one indiscretion away from another long suspension.

36. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    If true, Parcells has truly ran this team like a Walmart.

37. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    Every guy on your list never was the same after their injury.Go look at how fast they all use to be.

SuncoastFinsFan likes this.
  38. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

I don't buy it. Ronnie was well on his way to being the best back in football last year. He is the total package. Running, catching, and especially blocking.

39. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

As far as injuries, you're correct. But the only thing Ricky has on Ronnie is a better burst, and slightly better vision. He is no where near on par catching the ball, and is no where near the pass protector Ronnie is. As for players being scared to tackle Ricky, well Ronnie is right on par with that, and maybe more. He is more of the bull, and it's evident when you watch 3-4-5 defenders trying to take angles on him, and ending up being dragged another 5 feet. Ricky has a great stiff arm though...

40. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    Please tell me this is not happening. I dont think Bill Parcells and Tony Irland would do that. What is the point Ronnie Brown is a great running back and Ricky Williams is getting old and Ricky Williams is uncertian about his future. Why would we trade Ronnie Brown we are not going to get a frist round draft pick for him and if we take a second round draft pick that would be rediculous.