1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most Improved Dolphin This Year?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by AdamC13, Aug 10, 2011.

1. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    I have 3 in the running:

Sean Smith: Showed enough improvement last year for Dolphins to release Jason Allen who was leading team with 3 interceptions 8 games into the season. Still learning craft after starting college career as WR before making switch to CB. Credited with 6 dropped interceptions last year. Several could have been pic 6. Real difference between 2008 and 2009-2010? In 2008 Miami had a takeaway/giveaway ratio of +17. In 2009 -8 and in 2010 -12. Can't possibly drop that many again this year...can he? Makes my list because he has matured as a person and player. Displays maturity by no longer being late for meetings and is putting in extra time watching film. Switched sides of the field this year with Davis in what Sparano says will play to their strength. Honestly, not quite sure what exactly that means but hope Sparano is right.

Reggie Bush: Although not a Dolphin last year is showing a dedication I don't recall hearing about while at USC or New Orleans. Relied on talent more than hard work. As can be expected of any player not putting in the work, Bush has had his share of injuries during career. Appears to be taking the opportunity to be the workhorse seriously regardless if coaches plan to use him in that role or not. Reports are he is often the first player on the field and the last player to leave. Although I don't expect Bush to fulfill a traditional workhorse role I do see Miami getting him the ball in space in the passing game. Early success will bring more opportunity. Also, will be given the opportunity to make plays at key times...3rd down and likely to be put in to return kicks when Miami is in need of a big ST play. Teammates have reported they are surprised at how much of a vocal leader Bush has been.

Chad Henne: I was on the Henne bandwagon heading into training camp last season. I had visions of the MNF victory against the Jets being Henne's norm and not the exception. But Henne's play showed NO signs of improvement. What leads me to think he may improve this year? Henne appeared to take leadership role during the lockout gaining support of teammates. I thought Henning/Sparano game plan and tutoring played to Henne's weaknesses and not his strengths. Kept telling Henne they wanted plays leading to "chunk yardage" but don't take chances...WTF? Results were an offense that made "chunk inches." By all media accounts Henne has shown considerable improvement in training camp. Also, reports that Daboll has taken off the chains or at least loosened them and encouraged Henne to take chances down the field. Although Henne may not be a natural leader, he has shown he is well disciplined soldier when it comes to following the coaches instruction. If Henne is being told to be aggressive maybe that will enable him to relax and play more natural.

Honestly, I am hoping the most improved Dolphin this year is Henne and hands down given the importance of QB play to a team's success.

SeanP, Tin Indian, SCall13 and 4 others like this.
  2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, the one thing that a player needs to improve is playing time, so for me:

-Jared Odrick, we rotate Dlinemen a lot, he will have his snaps and a chance to earn his stripes

-Nolan Caroll, he will play a lot as well

-Richie Incognito, fully healthy and with stability

3. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    Well I can safely say we ALL hope you are right! If that happens, playoffs could be coming. We'll see.

4. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Brandon Marshall....
    He will get more than three TD's and the 2.8 YAC will improve.
    Hopefully we see him in the slot sometime soon.

Ohio Fanatic and Pandarilla like this.
  5. AdamC13

May 3, 2010
    Keeping him well fed would be a good move.

6. AdamC13

May 3, 2010
    Looking forward to seeing Odrick on the field.

Haven't heard much about Caroll in camp. Has he been standing out?

7. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Reshad Jones, Roberto Wallace and Nolan Caroll...

8. AdamC13

May 3, 2010
    Good call on Reshad. I don't see Clemons as a long-term solution.

9. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    I don't see how? Hes all over the field making plays in every game. He's been a pretty good steal for us so far. I think the ideal situation is for Bell to be phased out over time for these two young guys. The two of them plus VD and Smith, thatd be our secondary for the next 5 years, maybe longer.

The guy you HAVE to hope is the most improved is Henne. All excuses are done with. New OC, beast wr, pretty solid wr core all around really. If we can establish any sort of running game, and im confident we will, then Henne should significantly improve.

10. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    1. Henne
    2. Lex
    3. Vontae (Pro Bow time)

I had a tough time with #3 between Vontae, Marshall, Murtha, and Misi.

11. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I'm hoping:
    1. Lex, because we need a 2nd RB who can carry the load to the level expected of Thomas
    2. Shuler, we need a 2nd TE who won't embarrass us to put on the field, and maybe he can show signs of being on the level of his dad.
    3. Murtha. It would be great to see him show enough ability as a long term answer at RT, that moving Carey will look like a smart move when looking back in a year or so.

12. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    1) Henne - if he can't show it this year, he'll be a permanent backup IMO
    2) Marshall - tied to #1
    3) Nolan Carroll and R Jones - if these two can show consistently what they showed glimpses of last season, our defense will be a monster and make life much easier for Chad Henne and company.

13. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I do the Tweets of interest and so far his name typically comes out in a positive light and Sparano singled him out in an interview as a player who has improved over this time last yr.

14. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I like Shuler but with so many #2 Te types it is hard to pick him as he may not even make the squad.

I, for one, think Murtha will be fine, so will Garner, this is the best I've thought about the Oline since the 2009 preseason.

15. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Strictly speaking, it's gotta be Jared Odrick doesn't it? I mean if he stays healthy for more than 1 game, he'll have it locked up. We need to get some production out of him, otherwise it's a disastrous miss at that #1 pick that has gone very much under the radar. I know he's getting a pass because of the injury but still, when you don't get production out of first round picks it's crippling.

16. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

No.1 on everyone's list has to be the offensive line in general. You could say that Henne's play has to improve if any of the other skilled players are going to improve and be somewhat right. However, the OL is STILL in turmoil as we speak and is relying on a rookie C, a playing-out-of-position LG (RI) and what exactly is Long's injury status ?? For that matter, who's our RT?? Can we head into the season with Murtha as our LT ? Not the Murtha we saw last season, I hope. Will Murtha end up as our RT ?? Reports are that he's holding his own filling in for Long, but making a move to the RT at the end of TC (or whenever Long is back) could be tough for a younger player like he is. Is Pouncey's best position C or G ?? Carey should be able to seamlessly make the transition to RG, but why exactly was that move made ?? He was a pretty good RT. Where does Columbo fit in (on the bench, I hope). Are all these gyrations Sparano tinkering again or are we going to put guys in place and go with it this year ?? This was beyond a doubt our weakest link (yes, weaker than Henne) last season. They've made some moves to correct it...now, is it going to happen ??

One of the S have to separate themselves from the pack, whether it's Jones (camp reports point towards him), Clemons, Bell (at least regaining some temporary youth), Caroll or someone else...Any elite D, as many seem to think we can have this season, needs that strong S play to lead the team. We haven't seen that. Again, my guess is Jones. I'd like to see him solidify that position back there.

Soliai. I know he took that next step last year, but he has a history of immaturity as a player. He needs to be at least as good as last year or better. He needs to suck up blockers again so that Starks, Odrick, Langford, Misi, Wake and JT can do their thing to put pressure on the QB, so that the secondary has an edge in coverage...We know from experience that is how to beat the pasties and jests...

Other notables: Will the Bush experiment work out ?? Are Lexy and Thomas able to fill in where Bush can't ?? How will the Beast react the first time Henne misses him wide open ?? Is Hartline good/fast enough to free up some wriggle room for Marshall on the opposite side ?? Who is our best option at #2 TE, who should be a pass catching threat ?? Which Polite plays this year, the one from 2009 or 2010...I hoping it's the one from 2009. These questions have to work themselves out or even if Henne improves, it won't be enough.

padre31 likes this.
  17. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Note: Reggie Bush cannot be the most improved Dolphin since this is his first year being a Dolphin. Most improved player? Maybe.

18. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Just a couple of things LFF:

-Richie played LG last season and played fairly well
    -Nate Garner is sort of our ace in the hole at RT
    -Vern C has done fine in TC at RG, the only negative I'v read was Soliai beasted him on a single play
    -Mike Pouncey, after Soliai was killing him to start TC has begun to hold his own.

Paul Soliai is having a great TC, the other guy who is having a great TC is Ike Francis surprisingly enough.

19. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Can be, not in that case though, and with McDaniel coming back his development is not as crucial as it was but I suspect Odie will prove to be such a good penetrating DE/DT that he will flash this yr.

20. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    In my opinion, it's still crippling even though we do have depth at the position due to the opportunity cost. When you invest the money and resource of a 1st round pick into a player you need production there out of that player, not just the position you drafted him in. When you miss on the pick even when there's depth at the position you have to look at the other players and other positions that could have been addressed. Sure it's all hindsight, but crippling nonetheless. Teams that get production out of their early round players are better off than those that don't.

21. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I'm not that worried about Odrick. He was our starter in week 1 last year before he got hurt. But if he doesn't beat out Randy Starks, that's not a disappointment IMO, that could just be a reflection that Randy Starks is a pro-bowl caliber player, same with Langford. To me, if Odrick ends up being 4th in the rotation of Dlinemen and we don't lose a beat, it's a clear indication that the 1st round pick was worth it.

22. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I'm not worried too much about him either, but do you think 4th is the rotation is worth production of a 1st round pick? I don't want to make it sound like I'm piling on Odrick here, because his lack of production thus far can't be helped, but to me the fact that we are so stacked at the position is an indication that maybe we would have been better off addressing offense with the pick.

Killerphins likes this.
  23. MrClean

I just want any of the backup TEs to emerge as a solid #2. Shuler seems the more likely of the 3 since he at least has the pedigree.

24. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    I have to go with Henne at #1, believe he will be above average this year. I have Misi at #2, few rookie OLB make the transition and play as well as he did while learning. I also think JT adds to his improvement. I'm not sure Edds should count but, I am impressed he added 10 pounds of muscle in the off season. This should allow him to get some snaps on running plays, and also increase his value as depth if there is an injury.

25. MrClean

Should Ike be a surprise though? Last year, before his mystery illness, wasn't he the front runner for starting Sam?

26. Dr. Mookie

Dr. Mookie New Member

Jul 27, 2011
    West Hollywood, CA
    Personally, I've expecting BIG things from our secondary this year.

So put Sean Smith and Vontae Davis at the top of the list. They should be a top-five CB combo by the end of the season.

I really think (maybe just purely in my heart) that Chad Henne will have great season.
    I think we (including myself almost making a voodoo doll of him after the Cleveland game) have been way to hard on him. Chad's numbers were better than Drew Brees' first-year starter stats... Hope I'm right

27. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    There is only one guy that needs to improve for this team to be successful and that is Chad Henne. If he steps up and is more aggressive, hits more of his receivers in stride and generally doesn't look scared of making a mistake this team will win double digit games. I believe we have everything we need except a proven Qb.

Chad has to be the guy.

28. Dr. Mookie

Dr. Mookie New Member

Jul 27, 2011
    West Hollywood, CA
    For sure... If Chad has an above average season, this is a double-digit win team

29. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    On almost any other team, I'd agree with you, but not on this team. I really believe our first 5 Dlinemen are the best 1-5 combo in the NFL and the core of our team. We will see a regular rotation of those 5 guys, and if one goes down, we don't miss a beat. You figure out what the core of your team is and strengthen that foundation as much as you can.
    -To beat the Patsies, we have to bring waves of pressure onto Brady
    -To beat the Jets we have to shut down the run
    -To do the first two items, having a Dline that won't wear down is key IMO