1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most Menacing Antagonist/Boss in a video game..

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by Zeke0123, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 message board ******* Club Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Who would yours be...I know who mine Is just wondering who the rest of the gamers on the forum would nominate??

2. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    The end boss of Breath of Fire. A little crying girl who is asking you why do you keep on hitting her.

3. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    He’s not technically a final boss, but since the only way to unlock him is to beat the game once, he counts: the Lord of the Dragovians in Dragon Quest VIII. One of the hardest superbosses I’ve ever fought, and he gets stronger every time you fight him. He can be flat-out impossible even with all characters at level 99.

But if we’re sticking with storyline final bosses, Deus from Xenogears.

And then you smack her with Agni, and she stops crying. :lol: And she’s not quite as little in BoF3.

4. Zeke0123

Nov 22, 2007
    Mine is Sovereign from Mass Effect there was just something very different and very menacing about him the conversation with him Virmire gave me the chills and thinking no way can we win this no fing way...I've played an crapload of games in close to thirty years of gaming and that 5 minutes left me stunned..literally.

mor911 likes this.
  5. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Peja Stojakovich in NBA Live 2003...

6. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I did not know about Agni, so I defeated her as she was crying, which gave me the best ending ever. The next screen was her with a with the letters, "The End." Then she looked up and her hair caught on fire and the letters changed to, "Or Is It?"

Honestly I have never been more upset at an ending of a video game.

I have to agree about Dues of Xenogears. I freaking loved that game. I wish they could have finished the entire story rather than just telling me 1/4 of it. I had so much fun with that game.

Vengeful Odin likes this.
  7. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Crawmerax the Invincible

8. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I also enjoyed Star Control II where I was caught in the battle of the Ur-Quan (who wanted to enslave every race in the galaxy) and the Ko-Rah (who wanted to kill every race in the galaxy)

9. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Dr. Robotnik in the "Scrap Brain Zone" Sonic The Hedgehog

10. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Braska's final summon or whatever it was when you had to fight Jhett. To this day I still can't beat him.

11. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I stumbled on Agni accidentally, and of course the final boss deserves to get smacked by the most powerful move right away… boy, that was fun. I preferred Myria in BoF3, though. There was more ambiguity in smacking her around, plus her final boss form looked much better.

The problem with Xenogears is that it’s the fifth episode of a six part story. The Empire Strikes Back is the best Star Wars movie, but if it was the only Star Wars movie ever made, it would be pretty weird.

Xenosaga is much, MUCH better from a storytelling and structure point of view. Not perfect—they cut out most of the planned story, just like Xenogears—but better.

Seriously? If you could beat Yunalesca, Braska’s Final Aeon should be a piece of cake. Yunalesca was much harder, IMO.

12. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I read Nintendo Power to learn that I got the crappy ending. Then I took a saved game and tried to get the good ending, however the path that I needed to go was blocked. After that I was done with Breath of Fire. It also helped that the next two RPGs I played were Final Fantasy III and Chrono Trigger. Much better games.

I am talking about the part in Xenogears where they start to tell you how the story went and you got to play every once in a while. The part where Fei is in a rocking chair. I wished they finished that part. The rumor I heard at the time is they didn't want the American release to be 6 discs.

13. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Zeus from God of War III on Titan mode.

That fight was a giant pain in the ***.

14. TheAnswer385

TheAnswer385 Stay Low Run Free

Jan 7, 2008
    PA
    Resident Evil: Tyrant- Him chasing you around in the middle of the game always used to get the blood flowing.

15. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Blocked how? IIRC, you needed Karn’s last transformation before you could get Agni. BoF1 was certainly a very rigid game, but the sequels were better. BoF2 has better characters, BoF3 is the best in the series. Give them a try. (Emulate.)

Yeah, the second disc is 90% bizarre cutscene. Not sure why you’ve heard a “rumor,” since Xenogears’ development is pretty well documented now. The reason they got rid of most of the interactive segments on the second disc is because development kept getting delayed, corporate was demanding they release the game, and eventually they just put the second disc on a rail and wrote up the cutscenes. Had nothing to do with six discs for the American release or any other bizarre exaplanation—hell, at the time, no one on the development team expected Xenogears to get a US release due to its content, nor were Japanese developers in 1995-98 particularly concerned about specifically appealing to us the way they are now.

In the end, I think Xenogears turned out to be better than it otherwise would have been, but a lot of people were turned off by the presentation. Either way, Xenosaga is much better, though it was also edited to hell as Xenogears was.

16. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Mike Tyson in Mike Tyson's Punch Out for the NES.

I know is a pattern game, but I was a kid at the time.... :)

17. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I agree, that's probably the toughest one that I've played through as well. I did manage to beat him, it's been a while though so I can't remember specifically what I did.

18. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    A pathway that I was supposed to go through was blocked. There was a block in the way.

I know about the Xenogeras stuff now. You know how crazy internet rumors go. Especially 10 years ago when Xenogears was out. I liked Xenogears more than Xenosaga. I did not really like Xenosaga's story or combat system.

19. Zeke0123

Nov 22, 2007

Yes RE did a great Job setting you on Edge...I loved that series for that..haven't played the more recent ones but the first few had amazing bosses IMO.

20. Zeke0123

Nov 22, 2007
    Desides you have commented on a few of the posters nominees but you haven't put one forward yourself...Id like to know yours.

21. Zeke0123

Nov 22, 2007
    For anyone interested...I'm sure if you haven't experienced the ME universe it wont have the same effect but it should get the idea across :)...unfortunatly this uploader didnt have a high end graphics card but it doesn't look too bad.

[video=youtube;R_NAoNd4YyY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_NAoNd4YyY[/video]

pennphinfan likes this.
  22. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Yunalesca from FFX was huge pain. And her third form dang near scarred me for life.

Edit: Also, Asphyxia from Silent Hill: Homecoming and Walter Sullivan from Silent Hill 4.

23. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    I never really had any "ridiculous" bosses in my gaming. I grew up playing shooters, and I'd be pretty good at running through the game on normal and then hard. I guess the Boss that sticks out in my memory the most is nihilanth from the original Half-Life. It's a big deal to me because it was one of my favorite games ever, and the boss battle for complicated (I was 9 lol) story line (at the time) was first of it's kind. That might be an overstatment, but you get the point, it was more than a corridor slaughterfest. Great game, and an ending that leaves you scratching your head.

24. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    General Raam on the hardest difficulty on Gears of War 1. Honorable mention to the final battle in Final Fantasy X.

25. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

THIS.

I can't beat him!

26. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I’ve actually put forward two nominees. :lol: Check out post #3.

Zeke0123 likes this.
  27. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    From the "Hardest end game boss" perspective, Lich King would qualify, not after cata obviously, but still.

28. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    There seem to be two aspects to this question. The actual most difficult fight/boss/encounter, vs. the psychological "holy ****, I wouldn't want to face this kind of threat."

Sovereign from ME1 is a great example of the latter. A mysterious, ancient and powerful force, threatening to bring the end of the galaxy. In a similar mold, the Overmind from Starcraft is a great villain, continued by Kerrigan, one of the most badass chicks you could have the unfortunate circumstance of meeting. The Arbiter from the Halo series for me is also a personal favorite, as can be said of the entire Covenant - an undeniably superior enemy in every way.

pennphinfan and Zeke0123 like this.
  29. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I would have rolled with Saren from Mass Effect 1 if they didn't punk him at the end. He was the perfect bad guy.

I'll be the dupe and say Sephiroth... Or even better, Kefka!

30. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Kefka is my favorite bad guy ever!

I did not exactly play Skies of Arcadia, however I did think Rameriez was cool.

I would also like to give a shout out to Irenicus . He stole my soul.

31. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I'm not sure exactly what the question is asking so i'll cover my bases:

hardest boss: After Tyson, who i never even got to because Soda Popinski ended me almost every time, I would say Ganondorf in Ocarina of Time. You had to be flawless in every attack, and had to do it essentially 3 times. Every time I beat that game, I get myself a beer, (or 6), because, hell, I've earned it.

most annoying boss: Andross, in Star Fox 64, on expert. I swear, I can't count how many times I threw my controller.

biggest boss let-down: Kreia, Star Wars KOTOR 2. After that amazing character development, you're gonna make me fight 3 floating lightsabers? seriously? GTFO.

most menacing/believable/scary boss: Sovereign is certainly up there, but since it's been mentioned, I'll go with either Chaos from Final Fantasy 1 (because, honestly after going through the Temple of Fiends the first time you had NO IDEA what kind of $hit storm was about to hit you when you entered that last room) or the final Bowser in Super Mario 64. Tell me honestly if you did not slightly poo yourself on that last Bowser stage. The music, the colors, the tension.

[​IMG]

32. PeaTearGriffin

PeaTearGriffin Season Ticket Holder

Dec 8, 2007
  33. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Kefka was more bat**** insane than menacing.

34. daphins

daphins A-Style

Mar 22, 2008
    Shredder from Ninja Turtles 2 on the NES...he was NASTY..IF you could get to him. If memory recalls one hit and you died? And as i said..that's IF you could get to him (I only got there like twice, never beat that game)

Honorable Mention goes to the final bosses in FF1. I didn't get to the final boss to my knowledge, I think you had to beat all of the previous bosses again after going through an "every step causes a 4 dragon battle" dungeon that you can't leave. Another one of those that I never got through...

35. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    The controls of Tomb Raider.

36. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    The final boss of Shinobi on ps2. I must've attempted that at least 300 times before giving up.

The Bear from Condemned 2.

Lazarovich from Uncharted 2.

The final scene in Vice City.

37. daphins

daphins A-Style

Mar 22, 2008
    Really? Lazarovich? It took me two times max....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

38. PhinishLine

PhinishLine Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Maryland
    <Insert Demon's Souls Boss Here>