1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most Underrated/Overrated Bands

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by Jt0323, Jul 9, 2008.

1. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Good voice, no soul, no personality. Give me the Paul DiAnnos and Bon Scotts over the polished but boring singers anyday.

2. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Then don't say that 80's music was abysmal, because last time I checked, the bands I mentioned - along with alot of other great metal bands - came from the 80's.

I never said it was. However, individually some of the best rock musicians came from those bands. Listen to Reb Beach from Winger, John Sykes from Whitesnake or Warren Dimartini from RATT play guitar. More talent in them than any grunge player could wish for.

By and large, only for popular music. Get away from that, and some of the best rock ever came from that era.

If you want to site hair bands fine, but don't site the originators of the genre like Poison and Warrant. They weren't responsible for it becoming a mess. Cookie cutter bands like Bang Tango, Danger Danger and Faster *****cat, bands signed by the labels to capitalize on the popularity, were the reason it became bloated and boring.

I had no problem with hair bands when they first came out. They were fun to make fun of, and going to see them assured you of a might of light hearted entertainment and some of the hottest babes around. :tongue:

Here in America possibly...what about overseas? Japan? I'd be interested to know.

And haven't put out an album since 2000. In my eyes, that makes them as irrelevant and money grabbing as KISS....milking the fans on greatest hits.

Maybe at the time the band was together. Not at the hair band's peaks. And you're insane if you think so.

Besides...Soundgarden was a metal band that turned grunge...so technically, sellouts.

Good riddance. Overrated band if I ever heard one. Same tired old riffs with those "interesting" harmonies. Nothing special.

The Peppers are an 80's band, so rule them out.

Rage Against the Machine is a joke, IMO. Lame singer shouting the same line angrily 25 times in a row. Oh yea...that takes talent. And Tom Morello is THE most overrated guitarist on the planet. (IMO of course)

Tool is borderline prog metal, and had nothing to do with the death of hair bands.

The main point is that they might have put the nail in the coffin at the time...but like Dracula...the coffin lid has opened.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
    Phinperor and HULKFish like this.
  3. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Wow thanks for the Phil keaggy stuff. Never heard of him before but that was good stuff to hear

JCowScot likes this.
  4. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Unfortunately had Maiden hung on to DiAnno they'd still be playing small halls in London.

Not only does Bruce sing circles around him, he writes him under the table.

Lt Dan, PrepDogg and Phinperor like this.
  5. DevilFin13

DevilFin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I agree with Bon Scott. I'm not sure I can go DiAnno over Dickenson though. Though honestly I don't care. I care about guitar playing first and foremost. It just so happens that I like more of the guitar playing from when its Bruce as the frontman.

6. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    Pagan, I have to agree on most of your opinions other then AIC... They were a rock band just like all the other great bands we've been talking about. First and foremost, if they rock they rock! Too much segregation of music.

Pearl Jams first 2 albums were great, after that everything has sucked.

AIC is back together with some new singer (not what should've been done although I don't really blame them at the same time)

7. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    Oh and TOOL's singer sang "Man in the Box" with AIC in the last couple years and their were rumors. I think TOOLs music is bloated and monotonous for the most part. 90% of the songs sound the same, like an intro that never ends... I like Maynard but the talking over music instead of singing with the good voice he has is old.

8. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Its an interesting question as to what would have happened. Metallica certainly never needed a polished singer and they blow Maiden to smithereens when it comes to album sales and touring. DiAnno from what I understand was self destructing offstage so it probably was a good business move but I think they went from being a bad *** band to a metal version of Rush when Dickinson came on board. I like Rush and I like Dickinson with Maiden but with the exception of Number of the Beast none of the albums they have done since stand up to Killers and Iron Maiden. Its like AC/DC. They probably made more money after Bon Scott died but the albums they made with Bon Scott were so much better

9. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    LOL :sidelol:

I take it 'Bulls on Parade' is the only song of theirs you've heard? :wink2: Tom Morello is not one of the greatest guitarists but he is def one of the most creative.

FinSane likes this.
  10. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Because their music doesn't require a polished singer. Maiden's does.

And I doubt "blow to smithereens". Albums sales maybe, but only because Metallica sold out on a few albums to jump on the grunge bandwagon.

Maiden has not only kept their popularity, they've kept their integrity.

PrepDogg likes this.
  11. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Bro...his voice blows. :wink2:

12. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    I wouldn't say foo fighters are grunge at all. Glad to have STP back though....
    I agree with pagan though TOOL is not grunge more metal, RED HOTS are more funkadelic rock IMO. They have their own genre. The only one I would say came in on the back of grunge is probably STP. Audioslave is no where near grunge, if not for the prescence of Cornell, they wouldn't be in this conversation IMO.

Jt0323 likes this.
  13. vmarcilfan75

vmarcilfan75 blah...blah...blah... Club Member

Dec 13, 2007
    City Of Angels
    I dont know those guys above or how good they are but to me Dave Grohls pretty talented musician. singer/drummer/guitar.

14. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Correction: Thats what 10,000 days sound like. All their albums before, the songs take off somewhere. Give the album "Ænima" a listen to, and youll change your mind.

15. His'nBeatYour'n

His'nBeatYour'n Glass Ceiling Repairman

Dec 10, 2007
    New York

I'll say whatever I damn well please. :wink2: 80's music was abysmal. Those bands played great music during the 80's, but they weren't of the 80's. They were of the underground.

You countered my clear point about hair metal bands with examples of real metal bands. I was just drawing the distinction in case you missed it.

The genre sucked from the beginning (though my 10 year old mind didn't know any better.) So I will site them, Poison wouldn't have survived, or somehow sounded awesome if it wasn't for Bang Tango, whom I've never even heard of.

That's a weak point. Last I checked this wasn't a thread about most underrated/overrated bands in Japan. :tongue2:

Get your facts straight on that one. google.com.

PJ just finished a tour with packed houses where everyone was singing along to the b-sides. They are nothing like KISS.

I'm not talking about during their peaks, because that was the 80's when that crap was popular. You claimed that these crappy hair bands were RIGHT NOW still surviving, yet the artists from the "grunge" era are infinitely more popular than them right now.

:rolleyes: They "turned grunge?" When? They were labeled grunge. Their music evolved, I'll say that. More than I can say for Iron Maiden.

But they were of that era, and if he was still alive would likely still be "surviving"

Regardless of YOUR opinion about those bands, they couldn't get played during the 80's because of crappy hair bands. That is the whole point. Grunge kicked down the door that brought real rock back to the mainstream. You know the mainstream that embraced The Beatles, The Stones, The Who and Led Zeppelin.

Yeah, and the fans who still go to those shows look like they've been sleeping in a coffin for 20 years.

EDIT: Not mocking you with the bold, somehow the whole thing got bolded and I'm too lazy to edit it back.

Boik14 likes this.
  16. His'nBeatYour'n

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    I don't get the grunge label to begin with. It's a silly label that doesn't really apply to anyone.

My point about TOOL, STP, RATM, and the Chili Peppers and many others mentioned in this thread, is that they were able find an audience after "grunge" or "the seattle bands" knocked crappy 80's rock off the radio.

17. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    imo Cornell has and still has one of the best voices, a little more strained but still one of the best, in the business, granted his new Solo career is no where as good when he was with Audioslave or soundgarden, or his first solo cd Euphoria Morning, but with Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog, Audioslave, and hell his first solo cd, he has put out some of the best music imo.

Hell Audioslave is the only American band to play in Cuba...

18. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Dave swears the Foo Fighters aren't grunge, but like I was saying earlier ALOT of todays music is derived from grunge (including Foo IMO)

Bands like Bush, Seether, 3 Days Grace, Shinedown etc. The list could go on and on of how many bands you could say have that sound.

19. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    I dont know how people cannot say grunge does have an impact on today's music, like metal did in the 80s. Grunge had evolved directly from metal, which evolved from 70s hard rock, which evolved from 60s psychedelic rock, which was from 50s rock in roll...and so on. 90s grunge evolved into 2000s numetal/alternative, which spawned emo/post-punk crap we have today. 2000s alternative still survives under Nickelback, 3 Doors Down, Breaking Benjamin, all overrated bands I dont like either. 80s metal survives though, like grunge has in different forms, and evolved into metalcore/hardcore/death metal/black metal bands like Poison the Well, God Forbid, In Flames, Dimmu Borgir, Emperor, and Cradle of Filth. So what both Hisn' and Pagan have said is correct, but neither one wipped out the other or outlived the other, their both around is in true and evolved forms, just varying in popularity.

20. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    Not IMO bush maybe but bush came out of the grunge era. The rest are just more rock to me then grunge ......

21. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    The term "grunge" is silly anyway. If you ever watch the documentary 'HYPE' alot of the band members in Seattle and record employees at Sub-Pop joked about where it came from.

One guy has a funny quip about the difference between grunge and rock (he does it by playing 2 similar riffs on his guitar)

22. Cosmic

Cosmic Social Disease

Dec 10, 2007
    2 points-Pagan-Pearl Jam released a new album in 2007 called-wait for it-Pearl Jam. It's actually quite good. Check out "Big Wave" and "Severed Hand".

His'n-I just saw Iron Maiden a couple weeks ago and I look NOTHING like I just got out of a coffin. As a matter of fact, there were TONS of kids there with their parents-10, 11, 12 year olds who have discovered the greatest band ever. It was damn refreshing to see.

Points made. Winner and still champion, me.

PrepDogg likes this.
  23. His'nBeatYour'n

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    I wasn't talking about Maiden fans. More the Motley Crue, Poison, Warrant fans who go to their shows nowadays.

24. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Youll find alot of kids there around 13-25. Those bands are popular even with younger kids, alot of them start bands in high school and look up to them for inspiration.

25. His'nBeatYour'n

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    Great movie. Best part is referenced here.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/e/a/1996/11/22/WEEKEND9336.dtl

26. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Underrated: Dethklok

Overrated: Every band that isn't the greatest death metal band to has ever graced this world.

27. His'nBeatYour'n

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    Really? Younger kids go to see Poison? Terrible parents.

28. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Believe it or not. Their parents listen to them, so naturally their kids will go too.

29. His'nBeatYour'n

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    That's what I figured. Hard to imagine kids "re-discovering" the genius that was "Unskinny Bop"

HardKoreXXX likes this.
  30. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Well, Im sure you had some kids at your high school who were into 80s metal bands, they usually wore black.

31. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    :sidelol::sidelol:

32. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Very emotional and whiny lyrics is my definition with that weak punk rock sound. I look at their lyrics as whiny and pretty emotional. Like it or not, a band in their prime isn't what people look at. Metallica was damn good in their prime, but their latest albums have knocked their legendary status down a notch or two.

33. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    In defense of the 80s I think there was some great music that came out and great genres that got started. Unfortunately it is also the time when MTV and corporations started getting a stranglehold on the business and basically pushed the worst vile crap that has probably ever been heard. Flock of Seagulls made money, need I say more.

In terms of genres though, the American Hardcore (Bad Brains, Agnostic Front, Corrosion of Conformity, Suicidal Tendencies) scene basically was in its heyday in the 80s as well as British Metal (Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Saxon, Motorhead) and American Thrash (Metallica, Exodus, Slayer, Megadeath). And though I hated Nirvana, that scene produced Soundgarden and Mother Love Bone, two great bands. Unfortunately for most of the bands, the corporate bigwigs were more inerested in pushing Poison, Wham, Michael Jackson and other muzak bands

34. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    emo=:cry: my gf broke up with me :cry:

35. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    That's too extreme, IMO. Too many people look into their genre on how they dress and the stereotypes (slit wrists, eyeliner, etc.)

36. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Semantrics...semantics... :lol:

Okay I stand corrected then.

No, the genre didn't suck. You didn't like it. Again, some VERY talented musicians.

Again with the semantics! :tongue:

And again I stand corrected.

Now it's time for you to check your facts bro. The biggest thing happening in rock right now is the Roicklahoma Festival in Okalahoma. Second year in a row, 5 days of hair bands with a few good ones thrown in.

Then apparently you haven't heard Maiden's latest album. And as far music "evolving", as a musician I think it's a steaming pile of horse****. Most of the time when a band "evolves" it means it can't write the same style of music with any passion anymore, so they move on. There was nothing broken about Maiden. Why fix it?

AC/DC made a pretty damn good career out of playing the exact same music. :wink2:

And that is MY whole point. Those bands NEEDED the radio to get where they are, unlike metal bands.

Trust me, I'm HAPPY hair bands died when they did. We needed something fresh. What I'm saying is that there was nothing fresh about grunge. I'd have preferred that REAL metal would have killed off the hair bands.

Haven't been to many shows lately huh? I see more kids at these concerts than I've seen in many, many years. Kids are bored with bands just playing and standing there.

Like it or not, the live spectacle is on its way back.

37. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I thought i was the only 1 that realized that! K-Rock was the **** back then! :hi5:

38. TotoreMexico

TotoreMexico Your retarded

Jan 4, 2008
    Mexico
    I remember the first time I listened to them was in Madden '05 :lol:

39. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Pagan,

So these bands shouldnt make money? They should have used radio to sell more albums? I dont get your logic. Many musicians make the music because they love it but at the same time I dont know any that want to be living in a cardboard box or out of their car.

The whole point was that by getting real good music and a fresh new genre on the radio, my generation had their beatles, their who, their zepplin. By getting real music back on the radio we knocked out that wasted decade called the 80's and finally got rid of their annoying hair metal panzy crap and put some explosive lyrics and anger into their songs instead of churning out metal love ballads which sounded like someone was ready to bend over for them.

His'nBeatYour'n likes this.
  40. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Depends on the bands outlook... It's a double edged sword in a way, you want to make money with your music, but if you make money, you get labeled a sellout. So many bands switch record labels and instantly they're sellouts because of that.

Hell I've been in plenty of arguments over Avenged Sevenfold, many fans of their first two albums threw the sellout term because they switched from Roadrunner to Warner Brothers and their music had a different edge to it. Granted, if you look at their first album and then jump to their third album, it was a huge change. But they were slowly changing as their first album was practically all screaming and had that hardcore genre placed on them. Their second album was half screaming, but a lot of actual singing and had the nu-metal label on them. Then they switch to very little screaming and the just a metal label was given.

From there they were labeled as sellouts because their music was drastically different from their first album, which in reality it was a change over a series of albums. No matter what though, you get paid big bucks... you'll be a sellout in many fans eyes... and nobody likes to be called a sellout.