1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music Theory?????

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by anlgp, Jul 25, 2009.

Tags:
  1. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

When I was a wee gap I used to play saxaphone and clarinet. I used to have to have a decent knowledge of music theory because I was classically trained.

Years have passed by since then and I no longer can grasp it quite as easily. I also can not play by ear; which basically means that I can't listen to something and pick an instrument up and play it. I know you do not have to be born with it to be able to do it you just have to know what notes you're playing.

With that said, Pagan, or anyone that plays an instrument.. you guys think you could help me understand WTF is going on with theory in relation to string instruments in general and guitar in particular?

Here's some of the basics of what I know.

e
    B
    G
    D
    A
    E

That is a standard tuned guitar. I know that there are seven notes A-G. I know a whole-step is two frets and a half step is one fret. I know an octave is (for example) an open E and then fretting the twelfth fret. It is a whole tone above itself. I know learning the positions of scales is a lot easier than learning note names up and down the fretboard. I know Gb is the same thing as F#.

Here are some things I think I know. I think that some notes on a guitar don't have a sharp/flat. I think one of those is B. For example the following is the twelve frets of the guitar, starting with the open E.

D
    A
    E :|F / Gb F# / G / Ab G#/ A / Bb A# / B / C / Db C# / D / Eb D# / E

B has no sharp? Why?

And other questions...

2. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    B# is C; E# is F. It makes more sense when you see it on a piano keyboard.

[​IMG]

anlgp likes this.