1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

musicians: musical influences

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by anlgp, Jan 19, 2009.

1. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I feel this is a constantly evolving subject with me. I want to know who got you to pick up your instrument?

For me I was huge into Hendrix and Led Zep at the time. My guitar playing is mainly bluesy because of this. I became very interested in Ani Difranco shortly thereafter and so a lot of folk has found itself into my playing as well.

Kellar Williams, Mark Knopfler, Radiohead, Nirvana, Tool, STP, RATM..

I could go on for quite a while.

Just list a few, would ya? :up:

I would say I've been listening to more bluegrass and folk type music here recently than anything else.

edit:

also AIC, Toadies (Toadies are great live)

2. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    For rock and blues:
    Hendrix
    Clapton from Cream
    Van Halen
    RUSH
    Robin Trower(see avatar)
    Stevie Ray Vaughn
    Dave Murray from Iron Maiden
    Eric Johnson
    Albert Collins
    Buddy Guy
    B.B. King
    Too many to list...and that's just rock and some blues.

Jazz: (which I also like and also play a lot of)
    Pat Martino
    Pat Metheny
    Mike Stern
    Wes Montgomery
    Joe Pass
    John Coltane
    Miles Davis
    Charlie Parker
    etc. etc. etc. etc.... =D

anlgp likes this.
  3. anlgp

Add dave brubeck to jazz :)

4. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Yeah, I like Brubeck a lot as well. I used to have this old guy, like 85 years old, who used to work for me as a cashier. When he was young he was the head recording engineer at "Colombia records" in Manhattan. This was in the golden days of Jazz. All of the biggest names in Jazz recorded there. Most of the greatest jazz albums in history were recorded there, All of Miles Davis' greatest albums, all of Coltranes greatest albums, all of the great horn players, Nat King Cole, Wes Montgomery, Chick Corea, Brubeck, Sinatra, Tony Bennet " on and on and on, all the best ones were made there before they sold to CBS. He was the freakin' head recording engineer on 'Kind of Blue"! =) He created sounds that these guys used as their signature sounds throughout their whole careers. He was instrumental in creating the echo effect. He got it by putting a microphone in the stairwell of 'Colombia Records" =)....and he was a freakin' cashier at my store! LOL! I couldn't believe it. He was just old and retired and liked to keep busy. He was like that. He lived in the area. He was a really great, honest, nice man. He never had a bad thing to say about anyone besides Barbara Streisand=D, whom he had to record while he was there. She was a real b-otch.

Needless to say, I didn't get any work done when he was there. =). I would just talk to him and ask him questions for hours on end...all day. His name is Frank Laico. You can see his name on many record credits from "Colombia". It has to be the original stuff and not the "remastered" stuff. They only put the remaster engineers name on there, which is totally lame.

Anyway, just thought I'd share that with you since you brought up Brubeck. Not a lot of people can appreciate it. =D

JCowScot and anlgp like this.
  5. SCall13

SCall13 ThePhins QB

My first musical impression was KISS. :lol:

Terrible I know, but when I was a kid, my friends and I dressed like them and all took up playing various instruments. So I have to give them credit for me playing a singing. I don't listen to KISS anymore though. Looking back at some of their songs, it's really comical just how bad their lyrics were.

anlgp likes this.
  6. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    The Ramones are the most influential American rock band of all time.

anlgp likes this.
  7. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    WHen I was developing as a player mymain influences were:

~ Steve Harris
    ~ Geddy Lee
    ~ Geezer Butler

Now I listen to as many bassists as I can, just to soak up as much as I can. :D

anlgp likes this.
  8. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Aren't we always still developing as musicians?

JCowScot, Pagan and anlgp like this.
  9. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Of course. You don't get rust on the fenders unless you shut the motor off. :wink2:

anlgp likes this.
  10. SCall13

SCall13 ThePhins QB

When I got a little older, really liked Eric Johnson. In our High School Talent Show we played Cliffs of Dover.

anlgp likes this.
  11. Phinperor

Phinperor formerly In_Flames Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    My major influences growing up were:

Guitar - Chuck Schuldiner (R.I.P), Jesper Strömblad, Jeff Loomis, Trey Azagthoth, Alexi Laiho

Bass - Steve DiGiorgio, Alex Webster

anlgp likes this.
  12. DevilFin13

DevilFin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I'm not a musician. I just play guitar for fun. But my first influence was Ace Frehley. My dad liked them so I got to hear them a lot when I was a kid. But at some point when I was in like jr high I heard Detroit Rock City and it was the proverbial light bulb moment. That got me into hard rock.

Then I heard Van Halen and that kicked the door down in terms of opening me up to harder rock and metal. Eddie is probably my biggest influence. I just love how creative he was and how much fun he seemed to be having playing.

After a few years of playing I finally discovered the likes of Pantera and Iron Maiden. Lately I've been learning as much Maiden as I possibly can. Its really fun to play.

I also have some pop punk influence. When I was kid Green Day and The Offspring were really big. They turned me onto a band like Sum 41, which on a few albums blended pop punk with a metal sound. There is something about the simplicity of punk that I like.

Pagan and anlgp like this.
  13. anlgp

If you play an instrument I consider you a musician. I only play for fun (ie. I don't get paid to do it) but I still consider myself a musician.

DevilFin13 likes this.
  14. m ino

m ino New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    i've always loved music but 2 guys that made me say "i wanna rock" was bill ward and cliff burton..moreso cliff because the bass was not only easier to obtain for me back then but (atleast to me)also easier to learn. geezer was a major influence on my bass playing but what stuck out for me in sabbath was bills crazy drum style. theres been many more through time but those guys made me want to jam.

15. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    you forgot thelonius monk.

16. anlgp

I think it's in "etc. etc. etc. etc. =D"

Sceeto likes this.
  17. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    thelonius is no where near etc.etc................:pointlol:

JCowScot likes this.
  18. JCowScot

JCowScot So funky the dead dance

Mar 22, 2008
    FLA USA
    Preach it, brotha lucky!!:knucks:

I can honestly say that the reason I am playing bass right now is because of James Jamerson and Motown. My dad was always listening to oldies radio when I was a kid, and I always like the Motown songs the best, but only certain ones. Years later, I realized that those songs were the ones Jamerson played on and fed my soul through.

Of course, being a french horn/low brass player first, I tend to gravitate to the McCartney style of melodic counter-melodies, but I can still lay a two-note groove like you wouldn't believe.:yes: Geddy Lee, Geezer Butler, Flea, Sting, Engin Tanis (Turkish player I know)- all have influenced me to some extent.

I listen to just about anything and everything, and that's where my influence and inspiration come from. I can hear a car rattling along the highway and jam to that all the way home. Music is all around you in nature- you don't have to have a player playing an instrument to be influenced.:wink2:

19. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    El-P
    Atmosphere
    RJD2
    Dave Grohl
    Everlast
    Bradley Nowell
    The Streets aka Mike Skinner

20. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    I hear ya, but there's just way too many to type, especially when you consider the time of day when I posted it. =D, but I do love Monk, among many others, so I didn't forget him. ;)

21. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Cool Dude! You must have been pretty good for a kid in order to play that tune. I hope you kept it going.

22. 2k5

2k5 I miss Ted Ginn Jr.

Nov 28, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I was probably most inspired by one of my friends that played. It's so much better seeing someone do it live than just hearing it. Other than that I'm most influenced by O.A.R., and after that a ton of people like Eric Clapton, John Mayer, etc.

23. 2k5

2k5 I miss Ted Ginn Jr.

Nov 28, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Me and a friend of mine just recorded a part of our first song. It's not really a song yet, but it's music and I thought I'd post it in here to see what you guys thought of it. It's not perfect yet and the lead was mostly just improv so there's some mistakes, but I would like to hear your thoughts :)

I did the two leads, he did the chords

http://www.sendspace.com/file/n0rez9