1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My 53 man roster

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Paul 13, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I've been wanting to get to this all day. I didn't go back and re watch any of our preseason games. I probably should have but I went off my first look plus what I've read from multiple "sources." Guys in red should not feel too comfortable as they could be out if a better option arrives or they get caught in a numbers game:

QB - 3
    1. Ryan Tannehill
    2. Matt Moore
    3. David Garrard

This is a little bit against the grain. But I do think this is ultimately Ireland's call whether Garrard stays or goes and we save $. If Ireland is on the hot seat (and I think he is), I see keeping Garrard as an option to bring him back at some point this season to win some games. Certainly not what I want. I want to see Tannehill develop every week and progress as a young gun. But this is a win now league and as I've said before, if you start the season 0 and 4, I can see a then healthy Garrard coming back to get a couple of wins to take some pressure off. And then getting hurt again. I think Devlin goes to the PS

RB - 5
    1. Reggie Bush
    2. Daniel Thomas
    3. Steve Slaton
    4. Lamar Miller
    5. Jorvorskie Lane

I think we keep Slaton at this point. Lane is a beast.

TE - 4
    1. Anthony Fasano
    2. Charles Clay
    3. Michael Egnew
    4. Jeron Mastrud

Mastrud is safe... for now

WR - 5
    1. Davone Bess
    2. Brian Hartline
    3. Clyde Gates
    4. Marlon Moore

5. Rishard Matthews

Neither Moore nor Gates should feel very safe. Hartline makes it without having played a snap in preseason. Not a reflection on him, believe me... more a reflection of how the other receivers didn't step up to the plate. There's a reason that Sherman said in his presser today that Bess was the only one that had made it. He said there a couple others as well but he wants them to sweat it out. Interesting comments. I get the feeling he was talking about Hartline. I'd like to see Fuller and Hogan on the PS

OL - 9

1. Jake Long
    2. Richie Incognito
    3. Mike Pouncey
    4. John Jerry
    5. Jonathan Martin
    6. Lydon Murtha
    7. Nate Garner
    8. Josh Samuda
    9. Artis Hicks

This is actually harder than the receivers, not because of the talent level but rather the injuries. Hicks and Murtha have been out. There's some talk that Murtha could be headed to the IR, nothing substantiated. They are hopeful that Hicks will be back and have not named a starter yet at RG. I have to mention that I like Will Yeatman a lot and hope he has some practice squad eligibility left. But he could be included if Murtha goes to IR. I've gone with the nine listed. Feel pretty comfortable about Jerry/Samuda/Garner

DL - 9

1. Cameron Wake
    2. Randy Starks
    3. Paul Solar Eye
    4. Jared Odrick
    5. Kheeston Randall
    6. Olivier Vernon
    7. Tony McDaniel
    8. Derrick Shelby
    9. Jamaal Westerman

Should be noted that McDaniel is making a lot of money for a backup and has been injured. Could find himself on the IR or like Murtha / Garrard waived / injured with an injury settlement. Color me surprised that we've got 3 rookies infiltrating our defensive line group

LB - 6

1. Kevin Burnett
    2. Koa Misi
    3. Karlos Dansby
    4. Austin Spitler
    5. Jason Trusnik
    6. Gary Guyton

Nice bounce back game last night for the backups here. I've even got Guyton making the team.

DB - 9
    1. Sean Smith
    2. Vontae Davis
    3. Richard Marshall
    4. Nolan Carroll
    5. Reshad Jones
    6. Chris Clemons
    7. Tyrone Culver
    8. Jimmy Wilson
    9. Vincent Agnew

Agnew is probably the first guy cut if we go waiver wire hunting, which I know we will.

K/P/LS - 3
    1. Dan Carpenter
    2. Brandon Fields
    3. John Denney

the same three as uuuuuge. We didn't keep Thigpen as our returner... I can see us going Miller as KR and Gates/Matthews as PR

Conclusions
    First, I put the over under on Stitches correcting something I've posted here at 8 minutes. I'm really hoping I didn't forget anyone as I went mostly off memory. Second, these cuts do sometimes come down to salary. We can't have someone making a ton of money and being a backup. Culver/McDaniels fall into that category for me. The UDFA surprises, Lane, Shelby and Samuda have impressed the hell out of me, I hope they all make it. Hard Knocks is going to be tough to watch even though we know what is coming. It's something we've never seen and I'm frankly not looking forward to it. Anyway, I don't think this will change much between now and after the final preseason game. The thing that we don't know is how many guys will come in from the waiver wire. I think there'll be at least four.

I thought about adding a practice squad prediction list... but I'll just reiterate the guys I'd like to see there:

1. Chris Hogan
    2. Jeff Fuller
    3. Will Yeatman
    4. Cameron Collins
    5. maybe Les Brown
    6. maybe Thigpen here?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  2. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    :lol: @ conclusions

I'd actually have the same team (as of now), except Quinten Lawrence as the 5th cb instead of Agnew, I'd have Pruitt making it over Matthews, and I'd think Naanee would make it (unless Hartline was healthy for week 1). I just can't see only 4 healthy WRs in the lineup for week 1.

I'd honestly probably cut Garner (if Hicks is healthy) to make room for the 6th WR.

Edit: I only mention Naanee because I expect him to be on the 53, he wouldn't be on mine.

Paul 13 and smahtaz like this.
  3. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I don't think Mastrud makes it honestly.

Paul 13 likes this.
  4. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I don't know man, I think they like the flexibility his blocking offers. And supposedly he's been much better this camp in the receiving aspect.

I personally wouldn't shed a tear if we cut him though.

Paul 13 and Rocky Raccoon like this.
  5. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Looks good to me. It wouldn't surprise me if they keep Slaton but I hope they don't. I just don't see the benefit of keeping a guy with 0 upside like Slaton. The wheels fell off and there's no gas in the tank. Plus, if a team has multiple injuries at the RB position it's the easiest position in the game to find a warm body on waivers to plug in. WR on the other hand is much tougher, and given the tough evaluations to be made there I think the Dolphins are better served by keeping an extra WR or even some other position than a guy like Slaton.

Bpk and Paul 13 like this.
  6. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I'd swap Mastrud for Pruitt (if I had to guess the 53 man roster) as well as the Lawrence for Agnew suggestion made by Stitches.

Looks good though, Paul.

Paul 13 and Rocky Raccoon like this.
  7. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Not saying Slaton will make it, but I think he's earned a spot. He may not have upside, but he's looked good in his opportunities IMO (running and receiving), and played well on STs.

smahtaz likes this.
  8. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    "paul solar eye"... lol.

Nice list- I don't necessarily agree with the entire 53 but I do for the most part. Well done.

Paul 13 likes this.
  9. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    I disagree. Slaton has played well this preseason... arguably better than DT in my opinion. He also has shown he isn't a total liability in pass protection. He deserves a spot if it were up to me.

10. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    richie camirrillo is ballin...

11. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Yeah, I agree we will have 6 WR's.

12. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

You need Mastrud if Fasano goes down. Clay and Egnew are great mismatch opportunities in the passing game but haven't shown any indication they can block at this level.

Paul 13 and MrClean like this.
  13. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I don't know much about Mastrud other than he isn't a receiving threat. I guess it would make a lot of sense to keep him for his blocking abilities though.

14. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Also, Thigpen intrigues me as a returner. Not sure if he'll make it on that alone, but he also has shown some pop in the slot on offense.

15. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Thigpen hasn't done much as a returner for me (especially PR). I like Matthews back there more.

I'd even prefer Gates back there to Thigpen just based off what he did last year.

smahtaz likes this.
  16. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I thought Gates was underwhelming last year, but he was also a rookie. If he makes the team (likely) I think he'll get his chances as well.

Punt returner is a whole new ballgame though. I know Bess is reliable, but I'd like to see some electricity.

17. WhiteIbanez

WhiteIbanez Megamediocremaniacal

Aug 10, 2012
    I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out what Lamar Miller's role is on this football team.

Pandarilla likes this.
  18. smahtaz

What is it about Matthews? He just looks like a football player to me.

Bpk and Paul 13 like this.
  19. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Developmental back?

He wasn't drafted for this year IMO.

MrClean likes this.
  20. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Same here.

Bpk likes this.
  21. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Exactly what I was thinking.

smahtaz likes this.
  22. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie

Male stripper, apparently.

23. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I agree. This is sort of like a redshirt season for Miller. Barring a few injuries anyway.

24. smahtaz

:sidelol::sidelol::sidelol::sidelol::sidelol:

25. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    nine minutes :lol:

I think we're keeping Garner because he can play every position on the OL and Sherman mentioned him by name as guys he liked in his PC today.

26. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    What is it that you and Stitches have seen or heard on Lawrence? I have Agnew as my first bubble guy so convince me on Lawrence and I'll go with it :lol:

27. WhiteIbanez

Aug 10, 2012
    If Nate Garner can stay healthy. That is the rub.

28. WhiteIbanez

Aug 10, 2012
    Dolphins logo on the promised land. That is rich man. :up:

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  29. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Just keep Matt Moore and Tanny...Cut Mastrud and just put an extra lineman out there if your just going to waste a roster spot on a one dimensional TE.

30. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    good job paul. i think we will keep one more wr. i think slaton will be sent packing and naanee or pruit will make the team, until we pick up another wr (edit: or 2) then they will be gone.

Paul 13 likes this.
  31. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    abb...always be building

dolfan32323 likes this.
  32. Lee2000

Lee2000 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    Glad you clarified the Naanee selection for you there. You know how I feel about him. I now understand why some media sources listed him the worse starting wr in the league last year. You noticed Carolina wasted no time sending him out the door at the end of the season.

33. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    They didn't send him out the door, he was a FA. They just chose not to bring him back in the door.

34. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    I guess our roster count stands at 76 with the Vontae trade... McCray to IR apparently.