1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My breakdown for the Jets

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by joeydolfan, Sep 6, 2008.

Tags:
  1. joeydolfan

joeydolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    Figured I would give it a shot for the 1st time and see what you guys think? Fire away if there is anything you do not agree with.

Quarterbacks

The big match up everyone is looking forward too and I think it is going to be more lop sided than people expect. Granted Favre is a dangerous quarterback with an incredibly strong arm and is a 1st ballot Hall of Famer. However Favre was on the same team (Packers) for 17 years and is not really known to be a fast study from everything I have read. On the other hand Pennington is very well known as the cerebral one and I think he will have a better grasp of our playbook compared to Favre for the Jets. Keep in mind Favre over his career also has a higher interception ratio due to his gambling style of play.

Advantage: Dolphins

Running backs

Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams or Thomas Jones and Leon Washington? Jones is a dependable RB and has produced solid seasons in his career and Washington is the only back on this list that is a real burner. Stacking them up against the R&R express is just not fair though. I look for Ronnie and Ricky to show the Jets just how much our roster has changed in only one off season with some good ole fashion smash mouth running.

Wide Receivers

Tedd Ginn Jr. and Camarillo/Hagan or Laveranues Coles and Jerricho Cotchery? While I am looking forward to a much bigger season this year from Teddy in no way do our wide outs stack up to the numbers Laveranues Coles and Cotchery have produced. Even with Coles getting his numbers this game I am holding my breath to see if our DB's can prevent him from burning us again.

Advantage: Jets

Tight Ends

Anthony Fasano or Chris Baker? While I am looking forward to seeing Fasano as our starter this year Baker had a decent season last year and is more experienced. Granted Baker is nothing to get excited over but until we see Fasano's numbers as a starter.

Offensive Line

While we are young across the OL with Long, Satele and Thomas with only 16 starts between the 3 of them I really like what these guys have shown me in the pre season. Granted Long and Thomas will have some growing pains as the season wears on they have shown to be very heady players at this point.

LT Jake Long or D'Brickashaw Ferguson - Ferguson has shown to be a decent LT at this point in his career but when he was drafted his expectations were higher than what he has achieved so far. Long is Huge, nasty, powerful, run blocks like a truck and has held his own in pass pro so far. Lets be honest here, if you were a GM and were deciding which one to pick as your LT over the next 10 years which one would you choose?

LG Justin Smiley or Alan Faneca - Smiley was an important free agent pick up for us this year and has looked pretty good so far in pre season. Faneca some believe is on the downside of his career due to age but seriously, Faneca has been to 7 straight pro bowls.

C Samson Satele or Nick Mangold - Another year of experience and no more rookie wall to deal with for Satele and I look for him to have a very good year. Mangold has been a solid center for the Jets since they drafted him and improves each year.

Advantage: Even

RG Donald Thomas or Brandon Moore - Thomas has been a gift from the football gods in this years draft and I really look forward to watching his game improve each week. Once he gets the nuances of his position and his technique down look out. Moore is a serviceable player who is a little light in the pants for a RG but nothing special.

RT Vernon Carey or Damien Woody - I fully expect for Carey to make the pro bowl as an alternate at the very least this year. Big, strong, mauler who is athletic enough to play at a high level at LT. Woody on the other hand made several pro bowls as a Center but that was before he almost ate his way out of the league. I look for Langford and Starks to give Woody fits all day as they rotate in and out on fat boy.

Overall Advantage: Dolphins

Defensive Line

NT Jason Ferguson or Kris Jenkins - Jason Ferguson was the best 6th round pick we ever traded away and is solely responsible for us to be able to use the 3-4. He is very strong, ties up 2 blockers and does his job exceptionally well. Jenkins was brought in as a FA from Carolina and has never played in a 3-4 defense before. He is a heavy guy, 350lbs. plus but he can move well for a player his size. Very evenly matched between the 2 but I have to give the nod to Ferguson for his experience playing the 3 -4 almost his entire pro career.

LE Kendall Langford or Shaun Ellis - Langford is actually my favorite player from this years draft and I really believe when I see him play I am looking at a young Richard Seymour coming out of Georgia. I will be watching with great interest on his growth as a player and I think he will be a star for us. Shaun Ellis is an experienced DE who is stout against the run and a capable pass rusher.

RE Vonnie Holliday or Kenyon Coleman - Due to injury we did not get to see Vonnie play much in the pre season but he is healthy now and ready to start the season. Vonnie is a dependable vet who is stout against the run and is an above average pass rusher. Coleman on the other hand is comparable vs. the rush but has nowhere near the sack totals of Vonnie.

Overall Advantage: Dolphins

Line Backers

LILB Channing Crowder or David Harris - Crowder has been a steady LB since we drafted him but has yet to take that play makers leap forward and this may be his last season to prove he can. Harris on the other hand in his 1st year as a rookie produced more tackles and sacks than Crowder ever has in one season.

RILB Akin Ayodele or Eric Barton - Akin has been a steady player throughout his career and will occasionally produce a few sacks or Interceptions. Barton has almost identical career stats.

LOLB Matt Roth or Bryan Thomas - The experiment all Dolphins fans are waiting to see how it turns out is looking better and better each pre season game we see Roth play in his new position. Roth will excel at stuffing the run due to his size and getting a running start will make it a little easier for him to get off on the pass rush. If Roth can not produce as an OLB we may be seeing his last year as a Dolphin. Thomas has produced one decent year with 8.5 sacks in six seasons. A solid player but not one that jumps out at you. Just from experience playing the same spot for 6 seasons.

ROLB Joey Porter or Calvin Pace - Joey so far has played out of his normal position with the Dolphins and has had his issues with injuries. If he can stay healthy this year and return to his former pro bowl self after moving back to his original position it would be a huge boost to our defense. While the front office did pursue Pace as a free agent this past off season (I would imagine due to his size and age) he has one breakout season playing the position.

Overall Advantage: Jets

Defensive Backs

LCB Will Allen or Darrelle Revis - Allan is a very solid cover corner with the major knock on him being unable to actually hold onto his potential interceptions. Revis coming into his 2nd season had a fantastic rookie year and looks to only get better with experience.

RCB Andre' Goodman or Justin Miller - Goodman looks to be back to health after being out last season and is a solid if unspectacular Corner. He has more career interceptions than Miller and a few more years of experience. To be honest I do not know much about Miller and I am only going off of career stats at this point. Also I am keeping in mind Miller may not play this weekend due to injury and in that case the Jets may start Dwight Lowery who is a rookie.

SS Yeremiah Bell or Eric Smith - Yeremiah in the games he has actually been healthy enough to be on the field has shown a lot of promise at his position. There are some who believe with a full season he could receive some consideration as a pro bowl alternative. Bell has good range, is a very good blitzer and can knock the breath out of a WR with some of his viscous hits. Still, he needs to stay healthy to meet his possible potential. Smith is still a young Safety and has played well enough to keep his starting spot for his first 2 years.

FS Chris Crocker or Kerry Rhodes - Many fans are still stunned that Crocker is starting over Jason Allen and many are scratching their heads on that one. Crocker has been a dependable safety the past few years but nothing to write home about so far. Kerry Rhodes on the other hand is one of the best Free safeties in the league and should only get better over time. Not even a decision to make on this one as it is hands down.

Special Teams

KR Ted Ginn Jr. or Leon Washington - With a revamped special teams squad this season I would expect that when Ginn returns a kick off for a TD that most of them will not be called back for really dumb penalties. Ginn is an electric returner who has the speed to smoke everyone on the field once he breaks into the open. Washington is also a very dangerous returner with outstanding moves and very good speed. Just off pure return TDs at this point as hard as it is for me to say.

PR Ted Ginn Jr. or Leon Washington - Please see above.

PK Dan Carpenter or Mike Nugent - Not even close on this one to have to choose between Carpenter an undrafted rookie who has been perfect in the pre season against Nugent who has been steady and reliable for three seasons. We will have to see how Dan handles having to kick when the games matter.

P Brandon Fields or Ben Graham - Fields had a solid if unspectacular rookie season and has a booming leg on his punts. His one downfall which hopefully has been corrected has been taking too long to get his punts off which can leave him susceptible to having his punts blocked. Graham the former Australian Rules Footy player from down under has been a solid punter for the Jets and his average at this point is higher than Fields.

I am not going to compare the coaching staffs for 2 reasons. The first is this post is getting a little long winded and I think I may have gone on too long already. The second is for all the talk about Mangenius and him turning around the Jets I personally can not stand the guy. Ratting out the one man (Bellicheck) that took a chance on bringing you into the NFL and giving you your shot is so low I can not even discuss.

When Mangini loses his job with the Jets I would be shocked if anyone hired him to be their head coach in the NFL at least for a few years.

I have been extremely pleased with Sparano and his no nonsense, straight up, no bulls**t approach since he got here. The rest of the coaches on his staff have a lot of experience and don't even let me get started on how pleased I am with the new front office and our recent draft.

For all the rambling who do I predict will win this weekend?

I am such a Dolphins homer but I say 17 to 14 Dolphins in a very evenly matched, grind it out, smash mouth ball game.

Did I mention I was a really, really big Dolphins Homer?

mullingan, GoPhins!, 124 and 4 others like this.
  2. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    Helluva write up - ton of good info.

joeydolfan likes this.
  3. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 message board ******* Club Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Nice effort Brother :) good stuff.

joeydolfan likes this.
  4. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    great write up joeydolfan... i cant really disagree much with it. you did a great job laying it all out, and stating your case. I agree with your prediction on the score. If were in the game, its going to be close. I dont see this being a high scoring game. We really are pretty evenly matched. If anything scares me, its favre, and the experienced receivers he has, against our weak secondary. If we cant get to brett, he's probably going to throw all over us. Pressure is key I think for us. I think, as you said, if our D can do its job, its going to be a close, tough, grind it out type of game.

again, nice write up, thanks! and.. sitll love the sig! :up:

joeydolfan likes this.
  5. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    Just a few things:

- Chad Pennington does not have an advantage on Brett Favre. The Dan Henning offense he ran was from one season (2000) and the Jets have reached out and brought in "Brett Favre plays" into their offense.

- Dwight Lowery will be starting at Corner, not Justin Miller (thank god). Either way Goodman has the advantage as Lowery is unknown in real games.

- Yeremiah Bell has a huge advantage over Eric Smith, huge. Eric Smith is garbage. He's a "Mangini guy", but he's pure garbage.

- Lastly, no way do Jenkins and Pace lose out to Porter (injury problems, was nothing last season) and Ferguson. Sorry. Jenkins is a beast and has performed very well in the 34 (yes I know, he's new to the system) while Fergy is yet another year older. Still solid and an upgrade for Miami though.

joeydolfan and funkdat like this.
  6. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Good write-up JD.

At the QB spot, Favre has said that he's uncomfortable and doesn't know the playbook well but has responded with his highest pre-season QB rating ever. Sure it is only pre-season and he only threw 18 passes but it seems that he knows at least the basics of that offense. The biggest problem for him could be audibles. I'm not sure if he is able to audible out of bad plays at the moment. It will be something to keep an eye on.

At the TE spot, I agree. One guy that wasn't mentioned was first rounder Dustin Keller. He may do something for the Jets.

Along the offensive line, I think we have a better player at some positions as you said. At LG, I like Faneca over Smiley for the Jets. At LT, Long has been solid but hasn't played a game on Sunday that counts yet. D'Brickashaw Ferguson hasn't lived up to his potential but has been solid. I guess you could call it even. At the Center spot, I love both Centers. At Right Guard, the Jets win it because Thomas is a rookie and may have some bumps in the road. The Right Tackle spot is something to look at during the game for the Jets. I want to see how Damien Woody fairs against Kendall Langford and Matt Roth. Langford right now has a bull-rush and I believe that is the only pass-rushing move (unless he developed some other ones that I missed). However, he is very good against the run because he has good instincts and reads plays well. If Roth blitzes from the outside and Langford rushes the passer, he may have some trouble. Woody doesn't have much experience at the RT spot which is why I give the nod to Vernon Carey.

I can't really disagree with much of it, if any. Good write-up man.

I came across a statistic today regarding Allen and his dropped balls. He dropped 6 INT's last season. I wonder if it would have made any type of difference lol.

joeydolfan likes this.
  7. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    alen1, the reason Will Allen was forced out of New York was because of his inconsistency, inability to remain healthy and his lack of hands. The man would drop passes thrown right at him. It was sad to watch. I was happy to see him go to Miami where it would give Chad (now Brett) a better chance to not throw any INT's. :lol:

8. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    joeydolfan: "Kerry Rhodes on the other hand is one of the best Free safeties in the league and should only get better over time."

:up:
    :knucks:
    :hi5:

9. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    He played 72 out of possible 80 games with the NYG. That's an average of one game missed a year (spent 5 years with NYG). Did he suffer more injuries and play through them? Is that the reason you say he had an inability to remain healthy?

10. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    Pretty much. He may have played in 72 of 80 but a lot of those games he'd leave early with an injury or would try to go and wouldn't be able to finish the team. He and his NY counterpart Will Peterson were famous for that. Now they both are elsewhere, although Peterson has changed his name 94 times that I'm not sure who he is and where he is. :lol:

alen1 likes this.
  11. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Ooo ok, that makes sense. Thanks for the info bro. LOL at Will Peterson whose now Will James. He got cut by Buffalo and got picked up by Jacksonville. Speaking of Buffalo, I heard Leodis McKelvin wasn't ready yet and was playing the fourth corner behind Greer and Youboty (whose the nickel).

12. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Man JD, I appreciate the time it took to put that together. I love your enthusiasm as well. I think you make some valid points, too.
    Here's a couple of things that keep me from being on board 100%
    *Regarding the OL: neither Long nor Thomas has played one down of NFL game time that counts. For that reason alone, I give the Jets the + for those 2 positions. At C I think Satele is better than Mangold so I give the Fins the + at C. I agree 100% at RT. Woody is an umotivated, sausage gravy poured over glazed donut, with Big Macs stashed in his shoulder pads eating slob; who almost ate himself out of football.
    *I kind of want to give the + to Jenkins, but you're right in that Ferguson has been a 3-4 NT from the start and Jenkins was....I believe RDT?? Anyway, I think it's even due to Jenkins' quickness and strength.
    Nonetheless, I still agree with the overall + going to us at both OL and DL.
    *To be honest, I don't think you're giving Bell enough credit. I think he's better than Smith .....if he stays healthy. I think Bell is quicker, more athletic, smarter, and hits just as hard.
    Also, like you I really liked Langford coming out of college. I don't follow the entire draft process, like some do. But Langford was one of a few prosepects that I knew about. (I didn't know much at all about Merling.) And I was really glad we drafted him.
    Anyway that was the sum of my uninformed input.
    Did I say, good job?....good job, joey

joeydolfan and calphin like this.
  13. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

May 13, 2008
    Clermont, FL
    Wait...How is Satele even with Mangold? If Satele is trying to get over the "rookie wall" and Mangold has put up 2 near pro bowl years? Makes no sense.

Chad over Favre? Come on dude..Put down the pipe.

14. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    this is the first time in his career that jenkins is playin a NT in a 3-4 Defense, ferguson however is doin it for a long time now, so advantage Dolphins no question, on the pace porter comparison, seein the track record of both players, pace seems to have made a good transition to a 3-4 OLB, it was the first time he played that position and had a really good year in arizona, so still just looking at their careers, i still give the advantage to Porter since he has done it year in and year out, i dont count last year because he wasnt used like he should have been

15. joeydolfan

joeydolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    Show me a year that Mangold dominated at his position week in and week out and I will be more than happy to give him the edge. I honestly tried to be as optimistic as possible despite my loathing of the Jets.

late again likes this.
  16. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

May 13, 2008
    Clermont, FL
    Show me year a Mangold was outplayed by Satele. Show me a year Satele dominated at his position week in and week out. Straight out of the gate Mangold has proven he is an excellent Center. His rookie year he took over for a pro bowl center without a hiccup.

124 likes this.
  17. Bofin

Bofin Member

Apr 22, 2008
    thanks for the write up joey