1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Expectations year 3 and 4 under Sparano

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by jpep13, Oct 29, 2010.

1. jpep13

jpep13 Coach Of The Year Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    I thought this season we would make noise and get to the playoffs. Next season 4th under Sparano we would get to atleast the AFC Championship and perhaps beyond. I guess I was wrong. Yes, 10 games to play, but I am not feeling it.
    Do these coaches know how to coach? We are making noise, because the ****in refs are ****in it all up.

2. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    I wasn't really thinking about 2011...just this year. And I knew this team could be 11-5 or 6-10. So, I didn't really have any expectations.

3. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I predicted 9-7 this year (not likely for the playoffs, maybe depending how things fell), and really don't see a reason that we can't hit that.

4. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    9-7 is about the best case scenario, realistically.

5. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    I was hoping to be a playoff team this year and maybe winning a playoff game, but the way this team is playing, we're a 3rd place team in our division. Very disappointing, IMO

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    You're really under estimating our team.

7. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I had us at 10 and 6, happy if we just compete for a playoff, if we dont, no worries, I just want to see improvement overall, have our young defense and QB mature, then dive into an important offseason of drafting and free agency.

I have a question..Why has our GM not extended his coach..Isn't Tony lame duck at this point?...hmm, interesting no?, or am I just overreacting?

8. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    He has a 4yr contract, why does it need to be extended now?

steveincolorado likes this.
  9. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I agree I think we should let the Dolphins players know that this season is over. They need to stop wasting their time! I mean why even show up on Sundays?

10. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    To me, the next 3 games are the barometer of how we have progressed, or not.

Bengals, Ravens, Titans,

I thought we are a 10-6/9-7 team TBH, also thought things we be more predictable this season and they just are not.

Why can't even hardcore fans have a solid feel that we will beat the Bengals this weekend? They are 2-4 and on a losing streak, and yet no one can say either way whether or not we will win this game. For me that is borderline unacceptable.

11. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    We all knew we still had holes going into this season.

We all knew we had a hell schedule as well.

So my "hopes" not expectation, but hope was to make the playoffs.

We got through a very rough stretch of our schedule at 3-3.
    About where I expected us to come out of it. Losing the division home games leave us in a worse position than I figured but still I think were right on track for where I thought we'd be.

We still have issues.
    Young players growing, holes at some important positions and many questioning the mental state of our OC being the ones I see but I still think we'll end up with a good record and a shot at a wildcard spot.

12. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    gotcha, thank's...thought it was a 3 banger.

13. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    next year is the right time to think of afc championship. if we have a season that is :pity:

djphinfan likes this.
  14. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Because Coaches are typically extended prior to the final years of the their contracts to avoid lame duck situations.

As for "expectations", here is what bothers me:

The G-C-G problem is still there, in fact it has been the same for the past 3 seasons, in 08 they made do with Alleman-Satele-Ndukwe and waited for Thomas to get healthy along with Smiley returning to health along with signing Jake Grove.

The 09 G-C-G combination Thomas-Grove-Smiley was effective in 09, but Grove and Smiley's injury problems cropped up, predictably so, so all three were jettisoned.

In 2010 G-C-G Jerry-Berger-Incognito opened the season, and *gosh* they just are not opening the holes, so Jerry is defacto benched for McQuistan, who was acquired 4 days before the season began, Grove is too lite, and Incognito cannot pull consistently effectively or block for the Wildcat effectively.

So basically, 3 yrs, 3 line up changes, mixed results after every change, and Sparano relies on running the ball to generate offense.

Why is Sparano doing this?

And do not make me catalog the idiocy surrounding the Te unit, to me, where ever Sparano is involved, or has direct knowledge of a unit, the tinkering, and poor decision making, never ends.

djphinfan, DolfanJake and miamiron like this.
  15. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    Hopefully.

16. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    If this team finishes 9-7 that would be a major disappointment, but sadly a real possibility. I still see bad coverage in the secondary and the D can't seem to get off the field in 3rd and long situations consistently. The offense isn't running the ball real well this year and we are lacking overall team speed. Top it off I am getting very frustated with the play calling this year. I am not sure if it is Henning calling a conservative game when we get inside the 30 or if Henne is too willing to give up on the play and checks down. One thing I am sure about, I am tired of kicking field goals without mounting a serious attack on the endzone.

17. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    don't like to speculate too much on next year
    however, if we can't break 500 this season
    I don't believe most of the coaching cadre will survive, including Sparano
    and we'll be looking for another young prospect @ QB, a Center, RB & a TE
    having said that
    I do believe that Ireland & Nolan will stick regardless the outcome of the season
    all this is no more than opinion, nothing written in stone
    plenty of time & opportunity to turn things around
    no more excuses
    contend or step aside, allowing someone to emerge that can get it done
    GoFish!:dolphin:
    Sundays game against the Bengals should be in the bag. All we need to do is not let the cat out of the bag :yes:

18. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    Maybe Ross & Ireland are waiting to see how this year plays out, and how Sparano reacts to see if they want to extend him. Now do coaches get paid, and have a wasted year of their contracts if we have a work stoppage because the owners lock out the players ? I would think that if I were a coach, and wanted to work, and expected to work and was prevented from doing so, and was not paid, I would take legal action, if I could to make sure I do get paid. It wouldn't be my decision to not work, it was being forced on me.

19. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    I agree with you and think that Ross might just tap Nolan as the next HC if we end up 6-10 or 7-9.