1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My fellow Ireland haters, we must convene the grand council and ask for forgiveness.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Vinny Fins, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    What I'm saying is that you have selective memory about some events (such as when precisely Ireland expressed confidence about Henne) and are talking about entirely different things regarding other events (Ireland's draft grade of Tannehill). You also work in several unrelated statements to pad the length of your post (such as the statement that I credit Philbin for Ireland's recent decisions; you're confusing me with Aquafin) and to make it seem weightier than it actually is. In reality, you addressed almost nothing that I actually posted, and spent most of your time citing unrelated material—when you weren't trying to headline ad hominem junk, like referring to me as an Ireland hater—believing him to be bad at his job is not hate, though I can't speak for anyone else's feelings—or just chalking my posts up to skewed views.

There's also the problem of further replying to you; you've shown repeatedly that you'll continue to reply endlessly to a thread or conversation long after any and all points have been exhausted. I'm not going to get into an endless loop of eye rolling with you; I literally don't have the time to deal with it, assuming I had the willpower to begin with. Replying to someone who reads his own red ink version of what I write isn't interesting.

Clearly, given the amount of posts that have been made on this topic, there are plenty of real responses that have been made repeatedly.

By the way, if you're going to say something about me, please do so by quoting a post I've made, as opposed to just sneaking an insult in by replying to someone else's reply.

ckparrothead likes this.
  2. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Why are you being an endless looper and carrying on and on?

3. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    LMAO what draft was that again?

ToddPhin and smahtaz like this.
  4. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

I still think Ireland is a douche. He's very lucky Mr. Ross hired a head coach with a solid plan and the reputation to acquire the staff to execute it.

5. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    You don't think Ireland had a hand in picking Philbin?

6. smahtaz

I think he put the list of prospects together. Other than that, no. There's no way he was on board to hire a coach with a plan to draft a QB in the 1st round.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    What? Why not?

Also, Philbin doesn't make the decisions. Ireland wanted Tannehill at 8.

8. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    There's no way you can prove that ridiculous statement.

9. smahtaz

I know what you mean. It's much easier to think it all happened by chance.

ToddPhin likes this.
  10. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

So your name is Willard?

11. MrClean

Jeff was overheard singing this song softly to himself as he was heading for a meeting with Joe today...

[video=youtube;LFyTHc9IgKU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFyTHc9IgKU[/video]

12. MrClean

:up: :drink: :shifty:
    [video=youtube;F0_2slEWuNk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0_2slEWuNk[/video]

ToddPhin likes this.
  13. MrClean

No GM is infallible, especially on QBs. Even one of the all time greats like Bobby Beathard screwed up sometimes...Ryan Leaf...
    As much as old time Dolphin fans revere Joe Thomas for putting together the first Super Bowl teams, fans in San Francisco vilify him for the poor decisions me made there...

ToddPhin likes this.
  14. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Where the **** has this thread gone?

15. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    lol Yeeeeea

16. smahtaz

Show me a link prior to Philbin being hired that confirms Ireland had an interest in Tannehill and I will concede Ireland may be the next Ozzie Newsome.

17. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    No way. We should hire the guy. I hear he has a bright future and loves to score touchdowns. :shifty:

So you're saying the HC & staff play a bigger part in developing the talent & team than many posters give credit for and that the previous coaching regime is most responsible for the poor production we saw on the field, and that Parcells set us up for failure from the get go with his terrible coaching hires? Yeah I can agree with that.

18. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Then go ahead and concede he may be the next Newsome. :tongue2:

19. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    QFT. So much this.

20. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    We're 3-3. We could've been 5-1. We could've been 1-5. Playing tough, hovering around .500. This is where we usually live with Irish on the payroll.

And let's not mistake Philbin's making chicken salad from chicken ****, personnel wise. If you want to crown Irish, because he was force fed Ryan Tannehill, then crown his ***. My kudos go elsewhere for that one.

This years NFL is a cesspool of mediocrity. 2 teams above .500 in the AFC. Crow doesn't come out at this point in the meal. You want to even remotely start the argument? Beat a TERRIBLE Jests team, that any "good" team could manhandle...that WE should have manhandled weeks ago.

21. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Irish told McCoy all but to pack his bags and come on down.

Philbin was Ross' pick.

ckparrothead and smahtaz like this.
  22. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    My caveat on Ireland is to look at the depth behind our starters.
    We're thin at RB if Reggie Bush goes down. We're thin at WR if Bess or Hartline are injured. Our Oline needs to be healthy to be effective. Same for our LBs and DBs. About the only area of the team we have decent depth is the D-line.

If it was a case of Ireland collecting talented players who were misused in the Sparano regime I'd expect to see more depth behind the starters.

Jury is still out for me on Ireland.

What I still don't like is his negotiation style. Admittedly as fans we don't see the actual nuts and bolts but the overall impression I get is the feeling that Ireland thinks he's smarter than the other guy and he thinks he can treat the other party in negotiations as if they were a sucker. The problem is that in the NFL you aren't dealing with rubes you're dealing with smart professionals at the top of a very competitive tree. Also you keep on dealing with the same people over and over again and people remember it when you do low rent things

ckparrothead likes this.
  23. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    It is truly as if you're angry you were wrong and we aren't a horrible team. I say that because you steadfastly refuse to get off the hate bus even though we are very obviously not even close to being as bad as you thought we were. Its like the Titanic is your Ireland hate and Leo is holding your arms outstretched on the bow.

24. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    “Obviously very, very excited to have Ryan [Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M] as our eighth pick in the draft. This is a kid we’ve been following – myself personally and our staff has been following for quite a while. There are a couple of things we like about him, obviously. He’s got great size, he’s got a strong arm, he’s tough, he’s very bright, he’s got very, very good athletic ability for the quarterback position. We’re just very excited to have him. This kind of finalizes a plan that we’d kind of put in place several months ago when we started with the free agency process, started preparing for the draft. We’re excited to have him. This kind of solidifies the quarterback position. This isn’t all about Ryan Tannehill; this kind of solidifies the quarterback position. When we set out, we wanted depth at the position. Obviously this brings a new, young face in there and he’s going to compete as hard as he can. We’re not going to make any predictions about when he’ll start or what he’ll do in the first year, but I can tell you one thing: this kid’s a competitor and he’ll want to be the starter. We feel like he’s going to have a chance to learn the system. He’s already got a leg up on that as well. It was an all-in decision. From the football side, our scouts, our coaches, Mike Sherman [Offensive Coordinator], Zac Taylor [Assistant Quarterbacks Coach], Jim Turner [Offensive Line Coach], all of who were at Texas A&M last year, all felt very, very good about it. I personally have watched all of his games from 2010 and I thought he had first-round ability just off of his junior season. This season I saw him play a couple of times. I very much like the player and we’re just excited to have Ryan and his wife Lauren join the Miami Dolphins family.”

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sport...tannehill-should-be-starter-at-somepoint.html

slickj101 likes this.
  25. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    Wow, much better than my proof. Props to you for that.

26. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Great point. I don't get why people don't understand this. Parcells, Ireland, Henning, and Sparano were all in agreement on Henne after Parcells sent the TRIO to scout him. What's a GM supposed to then say about his 2nd year, 2nd round QB? Is he supposed to show little confidence in him by saying, "I'm skeptical about his future so hold your breath, everyone."?

What's Ireland done at QB since then w/o Parcells' influence?
    1. He's drafted what looks like a franchise QB.
    2. He brought in Moore, who turned out to be the best available option for 2011.
    3. He signed Devlin, a rookie FA who looks to have a future as our backup.
    4. He ignored the fan chatter to bring in Flynn.

At the moment, his overall grade at assessing QBs looks like a plus to me.

27. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Do you have any proof of this besides the hearsay being spread by one sports "reporter" who never mentioned a source?

28. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Eh, it was a joint effort. :)

29. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    As much as I've been coming around with Ireland (and it all started with selecting Ryan Tannehill at #8), I still have a hard time believing the bolded.

Tannehill had started half a college season at that point. He was more or less an afterthought and entered the 2011 college season as a 3rd round pick at best.

I do believe he did some real evaluating in December and put the grade on him, though. After the college season was finished and Tannehill had another 12-13 games under his belt. THAT, I believe. The August thing.....not so much. Seemed like his way of justifying his selection, which I don't think he really needed to do.

30. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    This is rather funny, Saturday night and the Ireland Haters Club is circling the wagons.

You fellas do realize he probably wearing Pikachu onesies and eating milk and cookies atm?

ToddPhin likes this.
  31. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Rafael was discussing that before the draft. The only way that is possible is if its true or Raf has magical powers.

32. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    You go and celebrate mediocrity all you want. I'll celebrate with you when when we are better than that. This site is a sounding board for my opinion. On Sunday, when I watch with my family and friends, and I get butterflies and nervous when we or our opponents miss game winning field goals, this site, this soap box is a million miles away. This 5 minute a day universe and what I say has no effect on my love affair with the Miami Dolphins. I don't like irish because in my gut, I think he makes us worse. He hurts us. You can choose to drag your pofo psyche into the Dolphin universe. That's not how I operate.

The last 4 years, and with Irish on board, 11-5, 7-9, 7-9, 6-10. Thats 31-33.

Everyone is doing cartwheels that we're not 0-6 right now. That's never been our m-o. My standards and expectations, especially in this modern era of pro-football, is higher than mediocre. That's what we are right now.

33. Eop05

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    Can you refresh my memory on Raf's stance on the subject?

34. smahtaz

That article was written in April. Nice try though.

35. smahtaz

Another article written in April. What is this a softball game?

Do you have something better than this?

It starts just after the 4:00 mark. If you have anything to the contrary please share.

Keep in mind that Gil Brandt is probably more influential to Jeff Ireland’s GM career than Parcells was.

http://www.miamidolphins.com/media/...-Brandt-/99250dc9-853f-4fb1-b051-be44fc6030a6

ckparrothead and Boik14 like this.
  36. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Sigh.

This is so tired.

Point blank you thought we worse than a .500 team. Me and few others said weren't. You and many others labeled us as homers, kool aid drinkers, etc.

That's the issue, you were wrong. I took an awful lot of abuse on 2 different sites and I've been right so far and you aren't. Instead of admitting it, you change the script again. Its weaksauce at its weakest.

37. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    He said Ireland had scouted Tannehill the year before and would have drafted him had he come out then.

ToddPhin and Eop05 like this.
  38. Eop05

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    Well it's something we'll never know for sure. And kudos to Raf for saying that and having Ireland come out and say it after.

Maybe I'm being a doubting Thomas in this instance. But I just don't believe Ireland was enamored with Tannehill prior to the 2011 college season given the circumstances.

39. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    :huh: Being written in April make it even MORE relevant, not less, b/c that was immediately following the draft but before Tannehill's promising showing in a Dolphin uniform. Ireland said it, period.... and it distinctly disproves your post, period. Just accept that you're wrong and that Ireland was enamored with Tannehill and had a 1st round grade on him long before Philbin entered the picture. Now please change your signature to Ireland=the next Ozzie Newsome. :wink2:

40. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Given what circumstances?

And it is impossible for Raf to have known that before the draft if there wasn't truth to it, unless:

1. Raf guessed.
    2. Raf works with/for Ireland.
    3. Ireland reads the boards and Raf lied but Ireland borrowed it.
    4. Raf is an oracle.

Or it was true.