My fellow Ireland haters, we must convene the grand council and ask for forgiveness.
250 replies
"Anonymous wrote:
A link I provided states Ireland went to one of his games to watch him play.
Anonymous, don't you know coach Philbin was moonlighting as Miami's head scout while working in Green Bay, and then when he arrived in Miami he ditched his head coaching job and its multitude of painstaking, time-consuming hours of responsibility in order scout players for Ireland so that Jeff could go fishing? Cmon man. How can you ignore this blatantly obvious common sense? :shifty: :lol:
"Rouk wrote:
too early for this thread imo as it stands I would still fire him at the end of the season the massive hole at the wr pos makes us non contenders. I also dont want to hear the Hartline hype guy still vanishes in games all the time hes so overrated on these boards. I do think Misi and Carroll are playing pretty well this year though its a decent turn around for those 2.
LOL. That's not hypocritical. :unsure: Too early for this thread but not too early to determine the fate of the season and our GM, eh?
"phinsational wrote:
LOL. That's not hypocritical. Too early for this thread but not too early to determine the fate of the season and our GM, eh?
There were people that wanted Ireland to be fired before the draft. :lol:
"phinsational wrote:
LOL. That's not hypocritical. Too early for this thread but not too early to determine the fate of the season and our GM, eh?
It really is, I thought we'd pick Top 5 with THill playing all yr, he's exceeded early expectations but keep in mind this offense is not very powerful atm so he's sort of not really a finished product as of yet.
Give it 4-5 more games as right now the D and ST are more or less carrying us.
"padre31 wrote:
It really is, I thought we'd pick Top 5 with THill playing all yr, he's exceeded early expectations but keep in mind this offense is not very powerful atm so he's sort of not really a finished product as of yet.
Give it 4-5 more games as right now the D and ST are more or less carrying us.
Own up please. I'll be short with it all. You hated the Tannehill pick.
"WhiteIbanez wrote:
Own up please. I'll be short with it all. You hated the Tannehill pick.
Not much, thought the team could win this yr with a Vet Qb like Moore or Garrard but we lacked playmakers.
Either way, he'll be here for the next decade so I'll have to get used to it.
The only guy we have who can legitimately score whenever he touches the ball is Reggie Bush, and I suspect he'll run really hard vs the Jest after that BS they pulled in trying to injure him.
"WhiteIbanez wrote:
I would still love to hear more about the Ireland hatred. It is something I don't really care about.
Quite the conundrum.
Sent from my iPhone
Looks like another "Ireland" thread in full swing, with the same combatants and the same issues, and still with no systematic objective comparison of Ireland to other GMs to go on.
By the time the next Dolphins game starts, this thread will have over 250 posts and we'll still be in the same spot. At that point you could merge it with the other "Ireland" threads for one giant Ireland "mega-thread" with over a thousand posts and the same level of substance.
"shouright wrote:
Looks like another "Ireland" thread in full swing, with the same combatants and the same issues, and still with no systematic objective comparison of Ireland to other GMs to go on.
By the time the next Dolphins game starts, this thread will have over 250 posts and we'll still be in the same spot. At that point you could merge it with the other "Ireland" threads for one giant Ireland "mega-thread" with over a thousand posts and the same level of substance.
/end thread.
I feel confident in saying that we could win five Super Bowls in a row with Ireland as GM and people would still call for him to be fired just because they have already become so entrenched in that mind set and are too stubborn to admit they could have been wrong.


"Trowa wrote:
I feel confident in saying that we could win five Super Bowls in a row with Ireland as GM and people would still call for him to be fired just because they have already become so entrenched in that mind set and are too stubborn to admit they could have been wrong.
And I feel confident we could have 5 seasons under .500 (we're over halfway there already) and some people would want to keep Ireland for the same reasons you gave. Same difference.

"PSG wrote:
And I feel confident we could have 5 seasons under .500 (we're over halfway there already) and some people would want to keep Ireland for the same reasons you gave. Same difference.
Right now we're a good team with one glaring weakness. If we can keep the guys we have and that one area gets fixed, we're a 9-10 win team, easy. Fortunately, we have the draft picks and cap space to fix/upgrade talent at several positions so I don't think we'll get a chance to test your theory.
"smahtaz wrote:
If you have a link dated before Philbin was hired that confirms Ireland had any interest in Tannehill by all means post it.
Is there any ounce of proof anywhere that it was Philbin's idea and Ireland wanted to go in another direction? Didn't think so. We have Ireland stating it well before we knew how good Tannehill was going to be this year, but somehow that isn't good enough.
Do you honestly believe that the HC wanted RT, but the GM didn't and the HC somehow overruled him despite the fact that the GM has final say? I'm sorry, but that's a pretty ridiculous statement.
And by the way, there was talk around here in the Club Level before the college season even ended that Ireland was high on Tannehill. KB mentioned it a few times. But considering there isn't a time stamped official document quoting Ireland I'm assuming that isn't good enough.
Follow me on twitter. Or don't @Adam_Vaccaro
"Trowa wrote:
I feel confident in saying that we could win five Super Bowls in a row with Ireland as GM and people would still call for him to be fired just because they have already become so entrenched in that mind set and are too stubborn to admit they could have been wrong.
Preposterous. I'd buy the chisels for the statue that should be erected for him.
But did he win 5 Super Bowls or are we hovering in the middle of the pack again.
Conversely, I wonder how many years of mediocrity people will settle for?
And honestly, I hope im wrong about Irish. I just want the players that forge a dominant team.
Sent from my iPhone
"phinsational wrote:
Great point. I don't get why people don't understand this. Parcells, Ireland, Henning, and Sparano were all in agreement on Henne after Parcells sent the TRIO to scout him. What's a GM supposed to then say about his 2nd year, 2nd round QB? Is he supposed to show little confidence in him by saying, "I'm skeptical about his future so hold your breath, everyone."?
What's Ireland done at QB since then w/o Parcells' influence?
1. He's drafted what looks like a franchise QB.
2. He brought in Moore, who turned out to be the best available option for 2011.
3. He signed Devlin, a rookie FA who looks to have a future as our backup.
4. He ignored the fan chatter to bring in Flynn.At the moment, his overall grade at assessing QBs looks like a plus to me.
It's been mentioned before how Tannehill doesn't fit Parcells' special jolly good blueprint for 1st round QBs. So, had the Tuna still been hovering around with an iron fist, and jiggly man boobs, RT17 may well be playing elsewhere right now.
“... I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”
― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice
"phinsational wrote:
Do you have any proof of this besides the hearsay being spread by one sports "reporter" who never mentioned a source?
Wasn't there a direct quote from McCoy?
“... I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”
― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice
"Eop05 wrote:
As much as I've been coming around with Ireland (and it all started with selecting Ryan Tannehill at #8), I still have a hard time believing the bolded.
Tannehill had started half a college season at that point. He was more or less an afterthought and entered the 2011 college season as a 3rd round pick at best.
I do believe he did some real evaluating in December and put the grade on him, though. After the college season was finished and Tannehill had another 12-13 games under his belt. THAT, I believe. The August thing.....not so much. Seemed like his way of justifying his selection, which I don't think he really needed to do.
Ireland claims he watched every Tannehill game in 2010. I see no reason not to believe him. IMO, Tannehill actually played better in 2010 after the mid season switch, than he did in 2011. So I could see how his leading TAMU on that late win streak could have piqued Ireland's interest.
“... I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”
― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice
"GMJohnson wrote:
Right now we're a good team with one glaring weakness. If we can keep the guys we have and that one area gets fixed, we're a 9-10 win team, easy. Fortunately, we have the draft picks and cap space to fix/upgrade talent at several positions so I don't think we'll get a chance to test your theory.
Pretty much bang on.
Although, I still consider the secondary a weakness. They've held up pretty good against bad to mediocre passing teams, but I fear they will get exposed when we start playing some better passing teams.

"smahtaz wrote:
Another article written in April. What is this a softball game?
Do you have something better than this?
It starts just after the 4:00 mark. If you have anything to the contrary please share.
Keep in mind that Gil Brandt is probably more influential to Jeff Ireland’s GM career than Parcells was.
http://www.miamidolphins.com/media/audio/Ryan-Tannehill-Impresses-Gil-Brandt-/99250dc9-853f-4fb1-b051-be44fc6030a6
Before the draft, Ireland would had to been a damned fool to publicly express his level of interest in Tannehill.
It seems to me he was even wary of expressing his interest in Tannehill to Brandt.
“... I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”
― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice
"slickj101 wrote:
I don't get it. Is Prince a Tannehill or Ireland fan, or what?
Then again, most gif responses, meant in a humorous light I suppose, go right over my head most of the time anyway...
“... I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”
― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice
"Anonymous wrote:
What? Why not?
Also, Philbin doesn't make the decisions. Ireland wanted Tannehill at 8.
Actually the owner was the first person from the organization who stated that the Dolphins had to upgrade the QB position. While I now feel Tannehill was the right pick. I think the demands of Ross was the major factor in the Dolphins selecting a quarterback in the first round. They had no chance to take Luck or RG3, and Tannehill was considered the best available QB on the board when their selection came about in round one of the draft.
I don't credit Ireland or Philbin for the selection of Tannehill. I give all the credit to Ross.
"jw3102 wrote:
Actually the owner was the first person from the organization who stated that the Dolphins had to upgrade the QB position. While I now feel Tannehill was the right pick. I think the demands of Ross was the major factor in the Dolphins selecting a quarterback in the first round. They had no chance to take Luck or RG3, and Tannehill was considered the best available QB on the board when their selection came about in round one of the draft.
I don't credit Ireland or Philbin for the selection of Tannehill. I give all the credit to Ross.
I think Ireland knew we needed a Qb, and I would think that Tannehill was their guy when Philbin hired Mike Sherman and they dissed Matt Flynn...sounds like a concrete plan to me..Ireland loved the prospect, it almost seems like a master plan..

the simple truth:
Ireland is one
of the best GM's in the NFL
even Jesus had his retractors
- Competition is the Elixir of Success -

