1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my guess....I mean mock...

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by my 2 cents, Mar 4, 2009.

Tags:
  1. my 2 cents

my 2 cents Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    They are all guesses...but...

Mock drafting while fun and it does create some talk, but I like the way Big red identified some players in each round that may be of interest. So I will take my shot based on needs, free agency and what this organization is said to like in their football players, now that we are getting closer……still a good bit of time before and things change quick……

Pick 25. I personally think that this pick is used on the best guy at a position of need and the organization is not locked into any one guy and would not move up to get one although they may move back a few slots if they can pick up picks…guys possibly available here that would be of interest: Any of the USC LB’s could be here Brian Cushing although I think he will be gone, Rey Maualuga whom I feel is lacking, and Clay Matthews whom I personally like, or James Laurinitis who also fits the bill, Larry English in my opinion this is too high and I am not near as high on him as others here and I think the league is also divided, Hakeem Nicks makes sense and fits the profile but he also could be gone, Percy Harvin does not fit the size/durability profile but is a playmaker, I do no think there is a DB/DL that fits this scheme that will be available here although someone we do think will could easily slide. If Peria Jerry is available I expect he would get serious consideration given his game style coupled the inconsistencies of Paul Solai and the age of Fergie, with a dash of how important that position is to OUR defense………BUT……..I am of the opinion that the pick will be Hakeem Nicks first and if he is gone then Percy Harvin, although the organization would love a CB to fall this far it will not happen and Nicks is the best value and football fit although consideration would have to be given to Laurintis or Cushing both of whom I expect to be gone. Pick Hakeem Nicks WR UNC.

Pick 44. Much depends on what pick 25 is. Although we signed our interior OL roster spots in FA there be a few guys here that fit the Dolphin mold pretty well.. Eric Wood, Antoine Caldwell and Jamon Meridith who can also slide outside very easily, and possibly Max Unger. As much as we value OL I would not be shocked to see one taken here. There is also the possibility that Larry English is also still available and I personally would be OK with English at 44. I also think there are 2 CB’s that may be available…Darrius Butler and Sean Smith. A LB like, Conner Barwin or Clint Sintim would also be fits and appropriate at this position. A Jamon Meridith is very much of a possibility here given our situation at OT behind Carey and Long and his ability to play guard. Overall though, at the end of the day, I cannot see our beloved Fins passing on a CB given our disarray at the position and the dire nature of the need…..so I pick Sean Smith CB Utah who could very easily be gone.

Pick 56. I think that playmakers are now going to become as focus as this team builds. This pick is a value position much like 32 was last year when Merling fell into our laps. Guys that fit here are Sin Derrick Marks, or one of the other guys we targeted above like a Darrius Butler or maybe an Eric Wood or someone else could conceivably fall to this pick…but given their slot lets assume they are gone……..I am looking at a guy here that either falls into our laps or we have a value on…at least at this particular pick…so I focus on a couple players… Rashard Jennings being one. Although he would be considered a reach by the public…I do not think he is and most would not. He is a playmaker and his blocking/hands are underrated. Jennings is a quality individual and underrated back with 3 down potential and Ronnie and Ricky coming into contract years soon. At the end of the day, the Fins sweat 12 picks and end up with someone they considered at 44… Jamon Meridith, og-ot South Carolina.

Round 3: Two guys that if…if they dropped this far would be eyeballed…..Rashard Jennings could last until this pick and we should really pay attention to see how Jarrius Byrd runs…but there are a few guys that are being talked about at least right now in this general area that fit with our needs and are the type players the trio covets……….Kraig Urbik, Lawrence Sidbury, Joaquin Iglesias, and David Bruton and Mike Mickens… There will be guys in this general area that fit the type of player Miami would like… and 1 or 2 of the top corners will make it here.. maybe Derrius Butler, maybe Mike Mickens , maybe Kennan Lewis, but I think we double up again here and select another CB with speed and enough size that could very easily be gone at this point also… …Jerrius Byrd, cb Oregon. ….

Round 4. This is also another area to look at projecting out a year or two and seeing what position makes some sense given your upcoming contracts, injuriy rehabs and age/ depth at certain areas…..maybe RB . In my opinion this is where we see how the organization feels about the DCW’s, Paul Solai’s, and Lex Hilliards of the roster……are they drafting replacements or shopping for additional parts…….. Doubling up is the standard MO of this organization …..obviously the further down you go the harder it is to make good guesstimates…but I see a double up and go with Mike Wallace, wr, Ole Miss, although Joe Burnett gets consideration here.

Round 5…Many think that this player that I believe will be targeted in this general area will go much higher than I think and predict he will……I think this pick screams Terrance Taylor, dt Michigan……I know a lot of people think he will go higher but he is not a complete player…and far from a sure thing….significant lack of movement skills and fits with just a few defenses…and ours is one of them….he will drop to this general area in my humble opinion…but is a good fit for us Dolphins…some are saying no freakin way he last until 5 but I see a very limited player that is a much better fit here than about 20 other teams…

Round 7…at this point….you thought it was guessing before……..

7a….. In the end though I think there is one guy that may offer superb value at the top of 7 and actually still be available………. Poor senior year and average at best combine but still you can see the skills…….I am not sold on this organizations commitment to John Beck…..so I put forth a small surprise guess and say…Cullen Harper, QB Clemson, or Curtis Painter…but I go with Harper as he stands a better chance of actually being there and is more the leader that the trifecta likes……
    7b….. Jackie Bates cb Hampton…hurt a bit as a senor but this organization scouted Langford at Hampton obviously and Bates has reported to have grown up significantly since his leaving the University of Oregon….good speed, short but built, and plays bigger than 185……good slot corner potential for a mid 7………….great confident corner attitude……..
    7c….. I think the Fins pull the trigger on problem child Willie Williams from Union, seeing enough physical skills to at least spend a late 7 to not have to deal with a FA contract………

I also hear that two players on the radar are UM’s DT Antonio Dixon and Appalachian State DB Pierre Banks…………..both of whom are probably PFA’s but could conceivably get drafter in the 7th…………

1. Hakeem Nicks, WR UNC
    2a. Sean Smith, CB Utah
    2b. Jamon Meridith, ot-og South Carolina
    3. Jerius Byrd cb Oregon
    4. Mike Wallace, wr, Ole Miss
    5. Terrance Taylor, dt, Michigan
    7a. Cullen Harper, qb Clemson
    7b. Jackie Bates, cb Hampton
    7c. Willie Williams, olb Union College

2. emeraldfin

emeraldfin All I've got is insane

Dec 12, 2007
    Carlow, Ireland
    Pretty bold going no linebacker until the 7th round.

Cant see that happening myself, especially when you have two CB's going in the 2nd and 3rd round.

3. skippysphins

skippysphins Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    the poconos
    love the draft you we are in dire need of corners finally some one else thinks like i do

4. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

That's about as realistic as any mock draft I've seen. We do need to take more than one corner that is for sure. Nice choices throughout imo.

my 2 cents likes this.
  5. PerfectTeam

PerfectTeam Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    2nd round seems high for him. nfldraftscout.com has him rated in the 5th round right now and i think he ends up probably in the 4th come draft day. He didnt have quite the season as a senior as many thought he would which could be attributed to a lot of things. Add in less than stellar practice reports that i read from the shrine game and it is conceivable that he lasts until the 5th.

6. PerfectTeam

Nov 25, 2007
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    i love the first two picks of the mock for sure and i definitely could get on board with the meredith pick considering how much versatility he could offer us. I just dont know if they would spend a high pick after investing so much money into the OL already. Mike Wallace im not so high in the 4th. Decent player, but I would prefer defensive front 7 there, namely a NT prospect like Dorell Scott, Roy Miller, Chris Baker, or Terrance Taylor. 7th round picks are anyones guess and yours are just as realistic as anyones. good stuff man.

7. PerfectTeam

Nov 25, 2007
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    He has Meredith in the 2nd though, which in my opinion, is way to many resources in the OL. I like Meredith a lot, someone is going to get a good tackle/guard prospect but like you said I don't think he is the right pick for us at that spot. I wouldn't be complaining if he were picked but I just think our resources need to be spread out a little.

8. PerfectTeam

Nov 25, 2007
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    I like Taylor don't get me wrong, but athletically to me I think he leaves something left to be desired. I've read/seen a lot that talks about him not being able to separate from blocks real well. Lateral agility moving down the line is lacking. 3rd round I would be ok with because of how far down we are, but not in the 2nd considering there will be much better value than Taylor at 56.

9. PerfectTeam

Nov 25, 2007
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Agreed 100%. Finding a starter like we did with Donald Thomas is rare. It's where I would like to see someone like Andrew Gardner taken, Garrett Reynolds like you said, Lydon Murtha. All would be real interesting developmental tackles. I'm hoping this where we pick up at least one corner, OLB and maybe S to develop.

10. my 2 cents

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    good stuff everyone. Thanks for the discussion.

I agree with you on Reynolds aqua and if we go OT lower then I think Reynolds has some merit. I do think that 3 guys also fit the "profile" late also...Sebastian Vollmer, Joel Bell, and Cornelius Lewis. Lewis probably more than anyone else. All can slide down to guard, Vollmer probably has the most upside but also has the furthest to go being he played stand up tackle much of his career at Houston. Bell whom I am very high on displayed some extremely good athleticism at the combine and measured just under 6-7, 312. Lewis has a more versatile build and actually is the "closest" technique wise. I personally think Lewis comes off the board first of those 3. Aside from those 3 and Reynolds, Andrew Gardner and Jason Watkins are Dolhin type guys, although both are a bit soft IMHO.

I actually thought that Byrd in the 3rd would get some discussion going as I am not a real "draft site" guy but the ones I have looked at have him generally in the late 2 early 3 range. He is a big, physical corner with speed so he fits the big corner profile this admin likes........

Wallace in the fourth IMHO is pretty accurate after he showed very good hands and 4.33 speed at 190 pounds on a slow track and a 6.9 cone and great 1.43 10 yard split.. in fact I could see him going earlier. Later guys that fit the big receiver profile with some speed. Other guys that would be considered in my opinion are Aaron Kelly who went 6-5, and 4.49 and caught the ball well, Kenny Britt, Ramses Barden, MArko Mitchell and Brian Robiskie.

I am on board with the Taylor conversation...it only takes one team to fall in love with him...my only point is that he only fits well with a dozen or so teams and has Raji, Jerry, Marks, Hood, Moala, and Brace ahead of him and maybe even Ricky Jean Francois and Roy Miller or maybe even Baker from Hampton...IMHO he could slide to 5....and again maybe not:)

Some down stream guys that I "like" their game is Joel Bell, Cornelius Lewis (very limited and combine), Zach Follett, Jackie Bates from Hampton, Cedric Peerman, Andre Brown, Cornelius Ingram, Joe Burnett, Troy Nolan, David Viekune and Drew Willy. There are some guys that i have seen play and I am familiar with that are obvious free agents but have caught my eye either in person or in obscure all star games...Julius Pruitt Wr Ouchita Baptist, QB Ryan Alexander from Davidson, Sam Allen OL Grand Valley, Ryan Delrosal OT from Dixie State who is from Miami, TE Robbie Agnone from Delaware, Pierre Banks a OLB that projects to safety and rins in the 4.5-4.6 area with good COD from App. State, and Garrett Manning from Henderson State.....but two guys that smacked me in the face are Jeremy Ashcraft from Arkansas Tech an OT that dominated the Cactus Bowl and East coast game that started playing football at Arkansas Tech (no HS) that goes a legit 6-6, 310 and played low and showed brutal strength...and Zach Miller a TE from Nebraska Omaha that played QB at N-O. Miller ran a 4.53 at the Cactus Bowl, measured 6-3.5 and 233, caught everything and played vertical...he whiffed on a few blocks but had good effort and did lock on and show well a couple times and is rumored to be a decent long snapper. none of those guys may get drafted but it makes the days after the draft interesting...........

All in all good conversation, appreciate the feedback and again the further down you go the more it is just a guess...and a good conversation

11. joeydolfan

joeydolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    If we pick Terrence Taylor with #56 when he is at best a 4th round prospect I will throw up.

12. my 2 cents

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    Bump......hopefully someone here can add something on the D2/D3 guys.......

13. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    The big issue is that there is a big need for DTs overall, and especially for NTs in 3-4 scheme with quite a few teams changing over this year-denver, KC, Green Bay etc all need to look for some NTs. Not to mention teams like Miami who need depth.
    That will inflate the value of a NT, its just a question of how much we want that position filled and where. I think when you realize that scheme and the fact that the Phins draft board is significantly smaller than most teams, you could see Taylor not being quite the reach some make him out to be.

14. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Would love this.

15. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    being as we are in more need of pass rush then anything else, i cant see picking 2 CBs in the first 3 rounds yet not picking a pass rusher..at all...

i would really like this mock if you changed 2b to a pass rusher and then instead of wallace at 4, we pick at OT...