1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My issue with finding "life" on other planets

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by FinSane, Jun 23, 2008.

1. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    From watching episodes of "The Universe" as well as other related programs focused on life on other planets, I have a beef with the scientific community. My problem is, how come whenever we search for life on Mars, we always look for water? How can we assume that the only way life can develop outside of earth is if there is water, when Im sure that there are species that can develop and survive without any need for water. Why is the scientific community so short sighted and narrow minded on this?

Kanye West and Celtkin like this.
  2. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Science tends to start with what it DOES know first.

ALL life on Earth is dependent on water. I am sure that if tracks or billboards were found, and no water that thought process would change..but until then, water is vital... Bet Mal could really chime in on the bio part of this :up:

FinSane and Celtkin like this.
  3. Celtkin

Celtkin <B>Webmaster</b> Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    46.73° N, 117.00° W
    Kenny is right. We look for carbon and water -- two essential things needed for life as we know it. Since we don't have examples of non-carbon based life or life that does not depend on water, would we recognize it if we saw it or be able to classify it with limited resources to conduct tests-off world ? That is hard to say but I doubt it.

azfinfanmang, FinSane and DonShula84 like this.