1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Jason Taylor Thoughts

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by 2hollywood2, Apr 21, 2010.

1. 2hollywood2

2hollywood2 New Member

Jan 19, 2010
    http://isportsweb.com/2010/04/21/dolphins-gift-wrap-jason-taylor-for-them/

Dolphins Gift Wrap Jason Taylor for “Them”

By Ronn Burner • on April 21, 2010
    [​IMG]It’s a business, I get that. Bill Parcells obviously has a plan in mind that does not include the greatest defensive player in the history of the franchise. Fine. It happens and Tuna gets paid an exorbitant amount of money to make these decisions and he has a pretty darn good track record of being correct in these personnel matters. Fine. I happen to think JT still has football left in him and would be a tremendous asset to our young defense but I’m not there and they obviously know a hell of a lot more than I do. Fine. Whether I like it or not I can accept that but I refuse to believe there is any way we are going to fill our DE unit with 4 or 5 guys better than JT. No way. Regardless, the Dolphins moving on without Taylor was collective decision that the organization obviously felt was for the betterment of the team now and into the future. Fine.

The fact that our very own 2007 Defensive Player of the Year will not be wearing the orange and aqua that he’ll be enshrined in Canton with this season but rather the very shade of green that he and all Dolfans alike can’t even stomach. My issue is not the move, it’s the way it was handled.

The number 99 is a lock to not only be forever etched onto our Ring of Honor but he’s also a Hall of Famer and with that he’s earned at the very least the common courtesy to be publicly let go respectfully and with dignity. For whatever reason that was not the case. As the story goes Dolphins brass wouldn’t even return his phone calls. That is classless and quite frankly an embarrassment to the organization. Taylor himself would have understood the teams decision to simply go in a direction that did not include his services had they returned his phone calls and said so. He has absolutely earned that much. Hell, he shouldn’t even had to have make those phone calls in the first place. Jeff Ireland, Tony Sporano or Parcells himself should have had the decency to contact Taylor once they knew the direction they intended to move in giving him ample time to discuss with his family the possibility of being uprooted to any city that boasts an NFL franchise.
    I’m disappointed in the lack of respect public displayed by the organization for an all-time Dolphins great. [​IMG]

How much do you want to bet that Chad Henne and Jake Long wish he was still a teammate on September 26th and December 12th when they face “Gang Green” and number 99 destroys our offense? Talk about motivation, especially with Rex Ryan at the helm. I loathe “them” but I think Rex brings great things to any team including moxie, swagger, attitude, aggressiveness, fire and confidence. It’s easy to hate him but that’s only because he’s not on our team. Taylor will love playing for that guy and there is no doubt in my mind Ryan will put him in position to be extremely successful all season let alone the two game against Miami.

Thank you JT for the memories. I assure you the fans respect you and will always hold you in the highest regards. Here’s to you having the best season of your career on an 0-16 team.

eric and dolfan7171 like this.
  2. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    Eglin AFB, Fl
    I will reserve judgment since we only have one side of the story

3. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    From what I know, Jt was offered a an extension in november that he was advised to decline by his agent, because of what might be a better offer in an upcoming uncapped year...

If thats true, then this topic is closed in my eyes...neither party should be villified...they both felt disrespected.

dolfan7171 and late again like this.
  4. Shamboubou

Shamboubou Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I think we also have to think abou the fact that, yes, JT is enshrined in Dolphin history. He is a player that most FANS were crazy about, and very well respected. What I think some people are missing is that JT doesn't have the heart of the front office. He hasn't done much for them. He danced his way out of town with them in the first episode, went for money in Washington. He then signed cheap here after Washington was done with him.

So for us fans, JT does earn the respect of the franchise to treat him fairly and deal with him correctly. In the eyes of the front office though he is nothing more than an older veteran that just doesn't have what he used to have. He doesn't fit our scheme. You said in your post exactly the problem we might not have the talent of a JT in our DE position. The problem is that JT CANT be a DE in our defense.

5. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Anyone who plays for the Jets shouldn't be allowed in our ring of honor. Seriously.

USArmyFinFan likes this.
  6. 2hollywood2

2hollywood2 New Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Parcells gave him a post-it note offer in November Ricky Williams style provided agents were not involved. JT declined. After that it went to Ireland to deal with agents and another offer was never made. Besides, that’s not my problem… it the communication. They should have told him straight up their plans instead of essentially saying we refuse to deal with you until after the draft and then we “might” talk to you. In my opinion, he deserved a little bit better than that.

I will agree though. I wasn't in the meetings and can't say for certain that JT's people weren't playing a leverage game but the reports seem to say Miami flat out didn't communicate other than to say we'll talk to you when we're ready to.

7. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I can see this, though the FO lowballed him for sure.

8. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    Loved him when he was wearing the aqua and orange, but now that he is wearing that green crap, F-him. Hope he suffers a lot of pain.

9. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    If it was the childish, juvenile ring of honor you might have a point. Fortunately the ring of honor is for players who accomplished special things in Miami. JT is one of those people.

mullingan and MikeHoncho like this.
  10. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    It's also for players who bleed aqua and orange. Which if you go to the Jets, you obviously don't.

I honestly didn't want JT back when Washington released him, so it's no big loss to see him go. However him signing with the Jets...I have no good feelings towards him whatsoever, nor do I care about anything he has "done" for this team. Which mostly consists of first round/early playoff exits.

Themole likes this.
  11. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    I'd put him in the ring of honor in a heartbeat. Let him play his one year in NY and suffer lots of pain. I'm thinking about Thurman Thomas when I say this:wink2:

12. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Um....it's been quite some time since 99 "destroyed" an offense.

13. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Players rarely stay with one team their entire career in this day and age. Yes it sucks but when it comes down to it this kind of divisional incest happens all of the time. You are one of the ones still holding a grudge from two years ago. There's really nothing more to say. Loyalty goes both ways and since Parcells was brought in they didn't even give him a thanks for your time. This is a game and a regular job when it comes down to it, it's not the military. He wants to work and Miami doesn't care to hire him. So he's going to work somewhere else. Bitter fans like you can't erase his Dolphins accomplishments and won't stop him from entering the Ring of honor and the Hall of Fame as a Dolphin. I love fans who have no idea what it's like to actually be a player but don't hesitate to judge the actions of one.

14. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Probably about four seasons.

15. BLITZ

BLITZ New Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    [​IMG]

:up:

~IN TUNA WE TRUST~

16. finserg

finserg Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Linden,NJ
    I listen to him today on 660 and it sure didnt sound like he was thrilled to be there but he said it was either Jets or i believe he said play golf no team besides the jets contacted him.

muscle979 likes this.
  17. 2hollywood2

2hollywood2 New Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Okay, okay. Maybe I get a little carried away about JT "destroying" our offense. He is clearly only a shade of his former self but he is still no slouch and will be motivated to deliver snot bubble to Mr. Henne. Will he or won't we? We shall see.

As for his legacy... he is the greatest defensive player in franchise history and it boggles my mind to hear Dolfans so easily dismiss him as trash simply because his own family decided to let him go and he signs with another team, albeit our nemesis, for great money, to play the game he loves, keep some semblance of being a celebrity and the opportunity to "show us" we made a mistake on slighting him.

mullingan likes this.
  18. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I think he'll be motivated to show the Fins FO they made a mistake not matching NYs offer. Who wouldn't be? What that translates to on the field is anybody's guess. Rex Ryan is a top defensive mind, I'd be shocked if he didn't find ways to get JT involved and help him make an impact.

19. 2hollywood2

2hollywood2 New Member

Jan 19, 2010
    I agree. I truly believe that JT will have an excellent year in NY with Rex Ryan and that aggressive scheme allowing JT to do what he does best... pin back his ears and get after the quarterback. I also think he will play very well and be a factor in the games against the Dolphins. That's just how these things seem to happen.

20. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Players ALOT better than JT have been put out to pasture before they were ready. Joe Montana. Warren Moon. Emmitt Smith. Dan Marino. Jerry Rice. Brett favre. Just to name a few.

21. Jimmy James

Jimmy James Ron Swanson

Dec 11, 2007
    Ugly incidents like this remind me that this is a business deal between businessmen and make me feel a bit childish for caring so much about it. Do I care what Senior VP Wells Fargo hires or fires? No.

I hate the Jets. I will be rooting against them 100%. I will say that if they succeed despite my wishes for them and Taylor ends up with a Super Bowl ring, it will be a bittersweet sort of thing to see a player like him get what he should have earned with us at the end of his career with the enemy.

I guess it is what it is.

muscle979 likes this.