1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My latest, we need corners mock draft.

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by MrClean, Mar 5, 2009.

1. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Here is my most recent mock draft. It is CB heavy and will be until we sign one who has a halfway chance of helping the team

1. Darius Butler CB UConn - He is on our radar and has excellent coverage skills and overall athleticism. He has experience on offense too and could help out in the wildcat

2a. D.J. Moore CB Vanderbilt - Not sure he lasts this long, but it's possible. The best footwork in the draft, smooth and natural. Can play both ways if need be as he has fine receiver skills too. If we could lead off with this pair, our CB problems would be solved for a few years.

2b. Darry Beckwith ILB LSU - He is actually my favorite ILB in this draft. Concerns that he wasn't big enough for Parcells D were eased when he weighed in at 242 at the combine. Could carry 250 easy in a year. He was the real bellwhether of the LSU defense imo.

3. David Veikune OLB Hawaii - I really liked what I seen of him during the Senior Bowl, practices and game. Then he followed up with a strong combine, strength wise and in drills. I think he can be a good pass rusher for us.

4. Brandon Hughes CB Oregon St - Another speedy corner with good coverage instincts to throw into the mix.

5. Quinn Johnson FB LSU - Love this guy as a lead blocker and receiver. Can carry the rock too, a Lou Polite clone.

7a. Roy Miller NT Texas - Strong, quick natural NT was the underrated anchor of the Texas D. He displayed good movement skills in the open field and was a monster on the bench at the combine. Won defensive MVP in their bowl game win.

7b. Sammie Stroughter WR Oregon St - A fine natural receiver with good quickness, soft hands, good route runner, sneaky fast. Overcome a lot of adversity. I think he will make it in the NFL.

7c. Dallas Reynolds C/OT/OG BYU - He is a poor man's Max Unger. Experienced at C and LT, but played the other line positions too. Would be a perfect 6th OL swingman. He was All Conference as a senior at C, and allowed no sacks playing LT as a junior while playing in the pass happy MWC. Tough, hard nosed and ornery, he doesn't back down to anyone.

2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Now that is addressing the Cb needs.

I'd like to take a look at a Cb later in the draft though, Mickens comes to mind.

3. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    I like going corner alot in the draft and I would be very happy with the Mock.

skippysphins likes this.
  4. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Brandon Hughes is overkill. :lol:

I would also be amazed if DJ Moore was there at 45. I'd have to think he was BPA there.

5. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007

Probably. I could see us going TE some where in the draft for sure

6. skippysphins

skippysphins Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    the poconos
    love your mock draft ! finally someone besides a few here see the gapping hole at db . and not to mention the future on defense.

7. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    IMO CB and ILB are two of the least valuable positions on a defense. These are spots you can usually fill with later round picks and get almost identical production with. Particularly the #2 CB spot. I could see getting one CB with one of our top 3 picks b/c you hope he'll become Will Allen's eventual replacement, but you want to use your premium picks on positions that have a greater impact. Otherwise, 3 or 4 years from now you'll end up with a salary cap that's out of whack and you'll lack talent at the positions that provide greater impact.

8. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    Marvin, terrific stuff. I would literally wet my proverbial whistle if we came away with that draft. Best Miami mock I've seen bar none. I don't however, see DJ Moore getting past the Jags at 37 if what Moore said the Jags said to him in Indy is true. Seems like they were pretty much guaranteeing him he would be their guy if he was on the board.

I love Darry and we both love Reynolds.

As a FB, I will be surprised if the pick is not Tony Fiametta.

But great work friendo.

MrClean likes this.
  9. MrClean

Thanks Simon. Kudos coming from you is well appreciated. Good point about Moore. TBH, I kind of prefer him at least as much as Butler. I was slotting them that way because that seems to be closer to how most overall boards have them ranked. Just love Moore's smooth natural footwork and how he is so quick in his plant and drive. Ball skills and hands to play both ways. I think if I was certain pretty much that Moore wouldn't make it to #44, I'd take him at 25 if i had to choose between the two, or flip a coin, it is that close. My backup choice at #44 would be either Jairus Byrd or Coye Francies, because I expect S Smith to also be gone there. I'd lean toward Byrd of those two with the deciding factor being high character and NFL pedigree. Francies may be equal on character too, but he was dismissed from the OSU squad before transferring, though the reason publicly given seemed trivial IMO.

Boomer likes this.
  10. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    I love Moore too. His backpedal and plant and drive are a thing of beauty. I like Byrd and the pedigree, as you say, is top banana. I wonder if he's a zone guy? Francies I like a lot. Love the aggression, but he's very thin. That said, he's a baller. What was indicative about the dismissal was that Oregon helped him get into San Jose St. The coaches had a zero tolerance guns policy so their hands were tied. But they tried everything they could to make sure he ended up in the right situation. Seems like he took the rap for someone who was going to do jail time if the gun was proved to be his. Whilst that's wrong, that's also right, in that he's a stand up guy. I'd like to go to war with Coye Francies if that makes sense.

MrClean likes this.
  11. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    2cb back to back not going to happen maybe we draft Nicks round 1 then a CB 2b

12. MrClean

Here is an interesting piece of trivia about Butler: "Uncle, Gene Atkins, played in the NFL from 1987-96 with the New Orleans Saints and Miami Dolphins ... Cousin of Buffalo Bills running back Willis McGahee, an All-American at Miami in 2002."
    www.nfldraftscout.com

Francies is very intriguing, and I would not hold the gun thing against him either, other than if you have two guys who you rate basically even, and you need to break a tie and decide, then it would or could do that. Byrd and Francies run about the same and are good ball athletes...both there, I say Byrd, if he was gone too, then not quibble and take Francies.

TBH, even with the additions on the line we have made, the depth guys, other than whomever didn't start between Thomas and Satele don't give me comfort. I'm not totally sold on Berger, even though we brought him in right away and even so he was told he is competing at C/G same as Satele. Outside we have nothing proven or promising behind the starters. I was considering something like this scenario too:
    1. Butler or Moore...heads it's Butler, tails it's Moore. Either way, it's tough to pass up A Smith who reminds me of Asante Samuel.
    2a. Max Unger, to give us a super swingman at the very least. One guy who can cover for any starter on the short term and any but probably Long for extended stretch of games with little to no drop off like we had last year. If our first three subs on the OL were he, Satele and Berger, wouldn't you feel a lot better? The 9th OL, which is usually the last one, would come from the best of the remaining OL.
    2b. Beckwith still.
    3. Rather than a OLB, go for a 2nd corner here. Cap Munnerlyn, Keenan Lewis, Asher Allen, Kevin Barnes or Chris Owens for examples.
    The rest of the picks, same. Right now, we probably have more OLBs on the roster than any position except WR. So, I would not feel so bad about skipping the position for now.
    Do you this scenario would be better than the first one?

13. RalphX19X

RalphX19X >:)

Nov 23, 2007
    Miami
    I really like both of SJST corners. I think both Francies and Owen are going to be very good at the next level. I'd love to bring them both to Miami.

14. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I'd prefer this to your your first one. I still think we have to address depth on the OL and I want to address it with quality not some project guy later in the draft.

MrClean likes this.
  15. MrClean

Thanks Rick. I always welcome your input. For a 3rd round corner, who would you prefer? IMO, Lewis fits us best, but it would seem overkill to have 3 OSU guys plus one UO guy in my mock draft. I would rank them next as Owens, Munnerlyn, Allen and Barnes.

Or, I could go with Francies at 56 and then pick a ILB like McKillop or Brinkley in the 3rd. I also liked your idea of Gilbert at 56 to offset losing Vonnie.
    I thought too of using the #25 on Tyson Jackson, #44 for Unger, then corners at 56, in the 4th, and then a low rounder like Ellis Lankster maybe in place of a FB at the top of the 7th. With Unger at 44, then instead of Reynolds I'd add a safety like Lendy Holmes. I like Culver behind Bell, but would prefer another option behind Wilson, other than Bryan or Kilmer. That would make 4 DBs total though.

16. Big Red

Big Red Long Lasting Freshness

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    1. Love Darius Butler. For a while I thought he might still be there at #44 but the closer we get to draft day the more I believe the Dolphins will have to take him at #25 if we really want him.

2a. Don't see us taking D.J. Moore unless Ron Brace is off the board.

2b. Beckwith is a possibility but Juaquin Iglesias, Mohamed Massaquoi, or Louis Murphy are maybe even more of a possibility.

3. Not a fan of Veikune. I believe we will pick our second corner in the third round. Asher Allen or Kevin Barnes. Either one would be great in the nickel.

4. Don't see us taking Hughes here. I'm thinking Scott McKillop or Frantz Joseph.

5. Love Quinn Johnson. I hope you're right and we draft him in the 5th. I don't know about him being a Lou Polite clone. I believe he's way better.

7a. We're not taking Roy Miller after drafting Ron Brace so Kory Sperry is the pick here. Fasano, Martin, and Haynos are all free agents next year. Sperry is a great blocker who is also very athlethic and more than capable of catching the ball. Plus we would lock him up for four years.

7b. Love Sammie Stroughter but the Dolphins are all about size and that is something he severely lacks. Ronnie and Ricky are both free agents next year so I wouldn't be surprised to see us pick Gartrell Johnson the underrated running back from Colorado State. He would suit our style of offense and allow us to part ways with Ricky if negotiations break down.

7c. Dallas Reynolds would be a fine pick but I suspect the Dolphins have their eye on Robert Brewster from Ball State. They just attended his Pro Day.

Here's who I'm hoping for. Hope not realism being the operative word.

1. NT B.J. Raji, Boston College
    2a. CB Darius Butler, UConn
    2b. WR Juaquin Iglesias, Oklahoma
    3. CB Coye Francies, San Jose State
    4. TE Travis Beckum, Wisconsin
    5. OLB Kyle Moore, USC
    7a. FB Tony Fiammetta, Syracuse
    7b. RB Gartrell Johnson, Colorado State
    7c. ILB Robert Francois, Boston College

djphinfan and MrClean like this.
  17. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007

Tell me why it isn't. Justify what you said.

18. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I like J Byrd but Im not sure he lasts that long into the 3rd. Also, didnt Francies have a slow 40 time at the combine? I'd hace to look it up but if he did I think he is a guy we can get in the 4th. I'd be happy with him and Bulter... but then that would be 2 San jose guys... might be a little bit of an over kill for my local guys.

19. MrClean

It's possible we have our sites set on 3 SJSU guys. I would expect it would be either/or when it comes to Francies and Owens though. Francies, if he has a good pro day 40 could vault himself back into the mid late 2nd. His 40 wasn't good at the combine, true, but many DBs ran worse than expected. They were the last group to run too, which makes me wonder if something happened over the course of event, all the other groups running first, to make the track slower. Also, it was pointed out to me that there was a greater disparity than normal between the hand helds and the electronic times. Often as much as a tenth of a second. The hand helds had Brandon Hughes at 4.4 or slightly under for example. The electronic I seen on him was 4.50. Most of the veteran scouts won't trust any electronic over their own hand held times.

One other interesting thing about Francies, even though he ran a lot slower than the top corners, other than Macho Harris, his 3 cone was better than Butler, Moore and the two Smiths. Harris had a very slow 40, but his cone time was bettered only by Jenkins and Sherrod Martin amongst all the corners. Some guys just don't have good track running technique.

20. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Marvin, having said all that I really hate it when an unproductive college player shoots up the boards on his workouts. When I look at players I look for production AND the physical ability to take it to the next level. That is why I like guys like Byrd, Francies and for that matter H Nicks.
    I don't know that Harris fits our scheme but he is another one of those guys that is just a football player.

personally, I'm hoping Francies doesnt run well at his proday so that we can have a shot at him in the 4th. :)

21. Styla

Styla #1 Davone Bess Fan!!!

Apr 1, 2008
    Chillaxin' in So.Cal
    I really hope we get DJ Moore from Vanderbilt:up:

Dolfan4Life likes this.
  22. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Right now, we probably have the worst CORNER situation in the NFL.Iam not saying your rational is wrong, just very daring.

23. MrClean

I agree, but in the case of a guy like Harris, he's a fine corner who may get downgraded by his 40 time. The same who would downgrade him for a slow 40 could say his 3 cone and shuttle times, both among the best, even things out.

IMO, even if Francies doesn't improve his 40 time, he should not last til the 4th. If you want a SJSU corner in the 4th, better to target Owens, who is pretty good too in his own right.