1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Mock 3.0

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by padre31, Apr 24, 2009.

Tags:
  1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    1. #25 Ziggy Hood We need a Dlineman who can get up the field
    2. #44 Clint Sintim Versatility earns him the nod over English
    3. #57 Michael Johnson Could bulk up, could also play standing up
    4. #87 Kevin Barnes We need Corners
    5. #108 John Knox Small School Wr with plenty of upside
    6. #161 Jarius Byrd Make certain of a Cb, bum groin knocks him down here.
    7. #181 Ryan Mouton..his kick return ability makes the difference
    8. #214 Edwin Williams Good Value, better prospect then Reynolds
    9. #237 Clinton McDonald..future NT, nice movement.

Two De prospects, one could play OLB, three corners because they are a need we won't overpay for or overdraft for, and a ILB/OLB prospect who can rush the passer.

2. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    I want Sintim at #25. I don't think he'll be there at 44. No point in getting Johnson if we draft Sintim. We don't need a DE at all, we have Merling and Langford as real solid DEs for the future. Ziggy Hood kind of doesn't make any sense for us. He'd have to be a DE in the 3-4.

We need a corner in the 2nd. thats where we'll get the best values.

3. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    IMO, our front 7 is NOT up to Tuna's blueprint, and also IMO, they won't take the chance that Merling and Langford are going to improve their pass rush, these guys do not take chances on what makes the team work.

Put it this way, at worst, Johnson becomes a rotational pass rusher, like JT started his career as, and Sintim, at worst, can play SOLB or perhaps ILB if Channing goes down.

4. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    But THEY drafted Merling and Langford. By taking another DE so early, they'd be sending a poor message about their own previous decisions.

I agree the front 7 needs tweaking but its at the LB spots and NT. DE is its strongest part.

5. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Why not? Isn't that why they drafted them so high last year? I doubt they drafted one to back up the other. I just don't see DE as a need right now. There's those two, Starks who was very solid, Dotson who they seem to feel has upside, and they also just added McDaniel.

6. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Because they really believe in "competition" 24/7, McDonald and Dotson have two 7th round picks invested in them and with the premium the Troika place on pass rushers, it's tough to see them neglecting that area simply because we have those two players on the roster.

When the consensus is the corner back crop is just as good in the 60's and 70's as it is in the #20-#44 I interpret that to mean our hands are untied to place a premium on players who can get after the Qb earlier in the draft.

7. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    There are two hybrid type Lb's in the mock, both have shown they can pass rush, and there is not a NT who can pass rush in this draft unless they are a sleeper.

As for sending a poor message, they cut Holiday after he had a fine season for us and finished 3rd in sacks on the team, they aren't worried about sending any other message other then they will do what they believe they must to improve the team.

And resigning Crowder, who has -0- sacks in four years to me means they plan on an improved pass rush coming from somewhere else then the ILB position.

8. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    I think my only comment (other than I hope it doesn't go down this way) would be that I don't see Johnson falling to late second round. And, I also don't see Byrd falling to the sixth round. You might get Byrd in the 4th (at #87) in lieu of Barnes though.

Having said that, stranger things have happened, so you never know.

Definitely a heavily defensive oriented draft, which is probably they way it will go. We'll soon see Padre...