1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Mock Draft If The Season Ended Today

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by MrPaul13, Jan 3, 2010.

1. MrPaul13

MrPaul13 Banned

Jan 3, 2010
    1st Jared Odrick 6-4 298 Penn State DT,fast enough to get to the QB,but can also plug a run,our pass rush has been a joke all season
    2nd Either Montario HardestyRB Tennessee or the slightly bigger Anthony Dixon RB Mississipi State,unless of course Devine RB WV comes out.
    3rd Riley Cooper WR Florida, big target at 6'3 215,and 4.4 speed,solid hands as well
    4th Robert Johnson S Utah,good size,good speed
    5th Jimmy Graham TE Miami huge size 6'8" decent 4.7 speed for a TE
    6th Arthur Moats OLB Sam Madison 6 foot even 4.58 speed
    7th Maybe we get lucky and Josh Hull ILB Penn State falls to us,if not Reed Williams ILB WV should still be there

azfinfanmang likes this.
  2. MrPaul13

MrPaul13 Banned

Jan 3, 2010
    Crud I didnt see the draft forum,my bad

3. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Uhmmm.....

Actually, pass rush was by far one of our strong points this season :up:

skippysphins and Fin Fan In Cali like this.
  4. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    I think this area will need to see more improvement Brother Kenny if we are going to take the next step.:wink2:

skippysphins and Fin-Omenal like this.
  5. MrPaul13

MrPaul13 Banned

Jan 3, 2010
    Not up front,Ferguson we dont even know if we get him back,and we dont know what him we'd be getting,cant be sold on Solai(sp),so DT is a sore spot,those rushes took way to long,and our CB's are way to inexperienced to be left out there
    Odrick is the second best DT in the entire draft,and he'll be sitting there when we pick
    RB,is a bit of a worry,with Ronnie going to FA,and Rickey talking like he might retire
    The Ginn experiment is reaching its end,so we need a WR
    Alot of complaints that we're weak at Safety(speaking of experiments that didnt work)
    Alot of complaints we dont have a TE that can go over the middle,we draft the kid out of Miami,he is the middle all by himself
    The last two are more to provide competition at the position and to see if we dont find a diamond in the rough,but thats allways your 6th and 7th round picks,if they were gimmees they wouldnt be 6th and 7th round picks

6. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    Hey Paul. Big fan of Odrick. I dispute that he's the second best DT in the draft; that unquestionably is Gerald McCoy. But Odrick can play for sure. Personally that's a tad high for Hardesty and a tad high for a back not called Spiller or Dwyer. I'm not a huge Riley Cooper fan but I see why people like him. There's always a proliferation of junior wideouts and I think there will be better value. I think Utah's Johnson goes a fair bit higher than that. He has ball skills that could put him in the first. I think Graham's upside would have him higher and we have 2 sixth rounders, no 5th rounder and 3 sevenths.

7. MrPaul13

MrPaul13 Banned

Jan 3, 2010
    I was thinking move picks to move up,but even then we're going to have to see how the Senior Bowl and the combines go,its just a mock based on,if we left the field today,and had to draft,thats how Id go.Graham is sitting solidly in the 5th on CBS.Coms board,so I could see us tagging him.Odrick did well enough in his bowl game to move up the board,he practically was PSU's defense.Also we wont know until tonight where we draft.
    Its just an excercise in,if we had to draft tommorrow,how would I go.

8. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Not bad Paul, although I would contend two things.

1.- I dont think Cooper lasts that long.

2.- I also dont think Cooper is much different from a capability stand point than Hartline, so while I agree we will be drafting a WR...I just dont see Cooper fitting in here.

Also AZ, The pass rush was inconsistent imo, when you factor in JT and JP are on the downside of their career and the fact our regime loves drafting LB's inside and out.

9. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    I would argue "Improvement", but I do agree that infusion of youth to the rush positions is a TOP priority.
    -
    Also, I love the kid out of Utah.
    You really think he could go first round Simon?
    Most unfortunate as I would love to see him go to us...but not in the first round.

10. Frayser

Frayser Barstool Philosopher

Dec 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I know that CK and I both feel like Graham could shoot up boards once people get a better look at him at the Senior Bowl. He's so raw but has caught on so quick. Even more than Gresham, I think he may represent the more "transcendental" player at his position. If he puts it all together, the sky is the limit for this kid.

11. MrPaul13

MrPaul13 Banned

Jan 3, 2010
    Right now Im just going on current projections,but these things can change.I was figuring with Cooper he has better speed then Hartline,and if we bring that monster TE from Miami in,our dynamics change considerably.There's no real speed threat sitting at any of the places we pick that isnt grossly undersized.Ginn is looking like he has bust written all over him in very large letters,Camarillo is pedestrian,Bess we might have gotten lucky on,and Hartline is still a great big??????
    Gotta do something,and the boy looks like he's at least solid,Henne seems more comfortable on mid range throws right now anyway.

12. MrPaul13

MrPaul13 Banned

Jan 3, 2010
    Graham I'll grant is the total X-factor here.He could jump on the board,and do it in a hurry.
    I mean a 6'8" TE with 4.7 speed,are you kidding me? A quarterback can hit that by accident.
    Im praying the kid has a bad combine and stays where he's projected right now

13. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    FYI....we dont have a 5th, but we do have 2 extra 6ths and 1 extra 7 rounder this coming draft.

Also, who or what position do you think we go after in FA to adjust what our needs are via Draft????

14. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University

Most people have him around that area but as of now were talking pre combine, I think he gets taken late second early 3rd.

Im slowly jumping on the Dez Bryant bandwagon although WR is normally a developmental position, although if anyone can use pure talent to make the wait easier its Bryant.

15. MrPaul13

MrPaul13 Banned

Jan 3, 2010
    Quite frankly Dog,F/A this year is absolute chaos,its hard to even figure out who is really available,most of whats out there even if the list stands as it is,is old,bad,or restricted.
    Ellis Hobbs might not be a bad pickup,maybe Omar Gaither,or Stephen Tulloch
    We've got to get a bit younger on defense,because lets face it we consistently fade
    On offense,if we wanted to make a splash Miles Austin would look good

16. Frayser

Dec 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Not only does he have those numbers, but the kid is the leading shot blocker in UM history (I believe) so he obviously knows how to go up and fight for the ball.

17. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Yeah, this year, FA seems much, much harder to project in order to set up the draft mock then ever before.....even without the names, the positions of depth are hard to even figure on where a position can be filled via FA, before moving onto the draft.

18. MrPaul13

MrPaul13 Banned

Jan 3, 2010

With the uncapped year coming,its hard to guess who's even really available.Plus,we still have the Senior Bowl and Combines coming. So it really is just based on what we need,vs,whats projected to be available when we pick.
    It was the best combination I could think of that hit our glaring weakness's.
    I would have liked to slid a QB in there,because I have not one iota of faith in PAt White,I guess in F/A we could go after Kellen Clemens,but I wouldnt like it.Rex Grossman and David Carr are supposed to be available as well.

19. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Actually, he is 8th in blocked shots in UM History.

http://hurricanesports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/graham_jimmy00.html

Also, this is his first year of Football. I understand that others have played little football then emerged, but this is his first and only year at the Collegiate level?
    He would definately be a project. Perhaps one that could bring merit, but LOTS of risk. Might be good as a 6th or 7th rounder.

Frayser likes this.
  20. Frayser

Dec 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I think he'll go way higher (late 2nd to early 4th).

21. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area

Since we dont have a 5th, would you target Graham in 4th???

and what about extra 6th's, and extra 7th.?

22. MrPaul13

MrPaul13 Banned

Jan 3, 2010
    I was thinking we could see if somebody would bite on those extras to let us move in to the 5th.Some teams value low round picks pretty highly,Im not one of those people. See if somebody bites if we put the worm on the hook.
    Heck at this point we have a few talented busts we can further bait it with.
    One thing we have absolutely got to stop doing is just cutting our underperformers instead of seeing if we can get something for them.Heck the braintrust is obviously not a huge fan of Cobbs,but alot of people around the league do like him.Here's a 6th and Cobbs for your 5th.

23. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    ???? they love him! Sparano has been invloved in scouting/hearing about him during his Texas school boy days I think. Not sure why you think that.

24. MrPaul13

MrPaul13 Banned

Jan 3, 2010
    Theyre barely playing him,even when he's healthy(which isnt too often) he's got 59 yards for the entire year,this is not showing the love

25. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    He contributes in so many NON STAT cats like ST, and core of the WC, that his role is not currently carrying the rock for yards, etc.

Are you speculating they dont like him for that reason? Cause I have heard Sparano heap mega praise on Cobbs and what he means to this team.

Now, I wouldnt say any player is untouchable for trade, but I wouldnt confuse that with THE FO doesnt like him, stuff. Just saying.:hi5:

26. MrPaul13

MrPaul13 Banned

Jan 3, 2010
    Between injury issues,his lack of reps this year,the fact we got him for a song,if we were going to cut weight(especially if we draft at RB) that would be your most likely suspect.
    We should have seen if Roth had any value,but we didnt do that.Letting Ginn go for a 5th or Allen,would be a murderous mistake,just because it automatically makes them MASSIVE busts,and we'd look like idiots(you can make your own case that we were idiots for drafting either of them in the first)Cobbs and that extra 6 puts us in to the 5th.

27. Lane1974

Lane1974 New Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Original Poster, I like your stuff, but some constructive criticism: you need to improve your punctuation and grammar (not just for this board, but more so for your school/work life). It's hard to read. See how everyone else uses spaces after commas and periods, paragraphs, etc. It makes it easier to read.

28. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    He only lasted 5 games before he was put on IR. Last year they used him quite a bit for a 3rd back, especially in the Wildcat packages. If he were healthy this year I suspect you would have seen him much more than Lex Hilliard with Ronnie Brown out.

29. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    I have to disagree. I don't think the F.O. cares about Ginn or Allen looking like massive busts, especially since they didn't pick either one. If Baltimore comes calling looking to reunite Ginn (and his family) with Cam Cam then I think Miami would definitely listen.

30. MrPaul13

MrPaul13 Banned

Jan 3, 2010
    Problem is he's 27,he has some value,enough to move us up one late round to another,and except as a recieving third down back,what has he really done?
    Cut that cord while we can still get something for it,and draft a RB in the second,we should have 3 to choose from

31. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007

With all due respect, I couldnt agree with these two statements stronger.

Pat Cobbs is EXACTLY the type of player the FO and coaching staff covets. He does so many different things, so many intangibles they could never replace his value, and on the flipside, do you honestly think that the current regime gives a rats behind about either J Allen or T Ginn being a bust?

Why on earth would they?