1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My mock first 2 rounds (fairly long)

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by texanphinatic, Apr 22, 2008.

1. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    OK, this is the first time Ive ever posted a mock, though Ive compiled a few before. Im not a guru, I dont watch tons of tape or anything like that. I see some of the Combine, senior bowl, some college games. I mainly go off of team needs and a compilation of other mocks, news, rumors and that kind of thing and smush it all together into this. Im just a regular guy with to much free time and an unhealthy enjoyment of all things NFL and the Phins.
    Ive done the majority of work between 9pm-1am for the last few nights so being tired I may have done something stupid like forgetting a player, or having someone go twice, please forgive me for that. I do reserve the right to change things if some pre-draft action goes down. With only 10 minutes for teams this year, I think we might see some more action than usual in these next few days.
    I didnt predict trades, though I commented on some possibilities. Enjoy and debate! :up:

1.Miami Dolphins-Jake Long (OT). The guy is the LT Miami has needed ever since Webb retired during the Marino era. Its hard for a QB to succeed when they spend the entire game running for their lives. A new approach to an old problem. He also is a devastating run blocker who can make life easier on Ronnie and propel him to a probowl selection.

2 St. Louis Rams-Glenn Dorsey (DT). I think Chris Long would make more sense, but reports are the Rams are very high on Dorsey, who is possibly the best talent in the draft. Game changing DTs are few and far between and Dorsey and Carriker could anchor that DL for a decade.

3 Atlanta Falcons-Matt Ryan (QB). THe Falcons need a QB more than any other team in the league, and with Jake and Glenn off the board he is the choice.

4 Oakland Raiders-Chris Long (DT). McFadden is another choice, but Long here seems like a natural fit with the Howie connection.

5 Kansas City-Brandon Albert (OT). Somewhat of a reach here, but the Chiefs need OL in the worst of ways if they hope to have a semblance of an offense this year. Albert is a boom/bust type player, but his massive frame and huge ceiling seems have enticed some teams to put him high on their boards and hope the floor the doesnt fall out from under them.

6 New York Jets-Vernon Gholston (DE). McFadden is again a choice, and would be the kind of big media player the NY scene loves. However, the Jets have been focusing on defense and really could use someone on the outside to pressure the QB (Tom Brady...) meaning Vernon is the pick.

7 New England Patriots (from 49ers)-Jerrod Mayo (ILB). Mayo has had quite the rise, another possible boom/bust guy like Albert (who if he falls likely would be the choice). While CB is a concern as well, reports are the Pats love Mayos upside, and they are always willing to go out on a limb and take someone out of place. Oh yeah, LB is a big need as well.

8 Baltimore Ravens-Ryan Clady (OT). Aaaargh, McNair retired, Boller sucks, and Atlanta got forced into Ryan-SUCK! While Brohm could be a shocker, Newsome has always been a value guy, and Clady is a solid LT prospect, which is something they need with Ogden on the way out.

9 Cincinnati Bengals-Sedgerick Ellis (DT). Well, the Bengals need a DT, and Ellis is a really good DT and the most value as well. Obvious choice, though I think New Orleans might try and sneak ahead of them.

10 New Orleans Saints-Keith Rivers(LB). WR could also be a need here, but the Saints settle for a big upgrade to a weak LB corps, though again Ellis could be in the mix via a trade up. Baltimore would make tons of sense for a trade if Ellis makes it to 8, and dont discount a possible CB pick here as well.

11 Buffalo Bills-Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (CB). The Bills really need a top shelf CB to help match up with the Patriots WR onslaught, and DRC represents tremendously more value than a WR (the other big need) would.

12 Denver Broncos-Chris Williams (OT). The Broncos need a solid LT prospect to watch developing Cutlers backside, and Williams represents the best one left, though Otahs brawling style may fit more with Denvers running attack.

13 Carolina Panthers-Darren McFadden (RB). The Panthers cant believe McFadden is still here at this point, but I think his stock is slipping somewhat. Should he fall close to this area the Cowboys might bite the bullet and jump up to take him.

14 Chicago Bears-Jeff Otah (OL). Wow what an offensive mess. Needs are WR, RB and OL all. Virtually every position needs help. At least the D is pretty well set. The Bears take OL in the draft to build through the trenches, looking to later rounds to fill the other holes. OT Crhis Williams would also be a strong candidate. A dark horse would be Brian Brohm, as having Orton and Grossman as my startes is a disturbing thought to say the least.

15 Detroit Lions-Leodis McKelvin (CB). At this point he represents a tremendous value, and will help both on D and in the return game as well.

16 Arizona Cardinals-Rashard Mendenhall (RB). The Cards have to be elated to have this guy still on the board here. Even though CB is a big need as well, this guy is just to good to pass up, especially with the Edge losing his edge fast.

17 Minnesota Vikings-Phillip Merling (DE). The Vikes have a brutal run D, but virtually no passrush or pass D. Adding DE Merling will help to alleviate this problem. However, they seem to be very interested in adding via trade a player like Jerrod Allen from KC or maybe even Jason Taylor from Miami. If this is the case, expect a different team to be picking here.

18 Houston Texans-Mike Jenkins (CB). With all the premiere LTs AND Mendenhall off the board, the Texans would likely look to the depleting CB class, with Jenkins represeting the best value here. If they arent convinced new RB Chris Brown and vet Ahman Green arent the answer though, James Stewart might be the guy, and they might just reach for a guy like Gosder Cherilus.

19 Philadelphia Eagles-Devin Thomas (WR). With their pick of the WR crop, the Eagles go for the best of the buch in Thomas, a one year wonder, but a physical specimen with an impressive year.

20 Tampa Bay Buccaneers-DeShean Jackson (WR). A replacement for the aging Galloway, Jackson would also help them in the return game. Watch out for a guy like Briam Brohm to sneak in again.

21 Washington Redskins-Calais Campbell (DE). Hes coming off a so/so season and a rather poor offseason, but the guy has the kind of size and raw ability that many teams cant ignore, and I dont the Skins', in need of a passrusher, will.

22 Dallas Cowboys (from Browns)-Aquib Talib (CB). THough he is admittedly raw and somewhat undisciplined, he is the aggressive CB that Dallas likes and has some impressive raw ability. With Henry moving to safety, the 'Boys need a CB opposite of Newman and have to take the last of the top graded guys over RB.

23 Pittsburgh Steelers-Limas Sweed (WR). A bit of a surprise here, but Sweed is a value pick here, and Big Ben has been asking for a big WR, and well, here one is! How convenient! However, the OL has some holes, even with Max resigning, so Gosder Cherilus could be taken here and plugged in there.

24 Tennessee Titans-Kentwan Balmer (DT). Though WR is a need, the Titans havent seemed to be able to get a good one in recent drafts and might be gun-shy at the position. Oh yeah, the pick of the litter is gone anyway. With Randy Starks and Antwan Odom out of town, Balmer is a solid value pick here, and can form a nasty tandem with Big Albert.

25 Seattle Seahawks-James Stewart (RB). Despite the injury, Stewart had a great season, is a physical specimen, and is a tremendous value here. I cant think they would be happy with Julius Jones and Mo Morris. The lack of a run game really showed in that Green Bay game, and I dont think the 'Hawks want to be in that same situation again.

26 Jacksonville Jaguars-Brian Brohm (QB). With no DEs left worth the spot, the Jags need to decide on taking a guy like Malcom Kelly, or go with a backup for Garrard. Remember, he missed some time last year, and while he played very well, his backup is now a Houston Texan. Brohm would be a great value here and would solidify the spot.

27 San Diego Chargers-Gosder Cherilus (OT). Possibly the most talented roster, I think the Chargers might be hoping Stewart falls to them, and might take a hard look at Felix Jones. But Cherilus would fill a need at RT for them and help that potent offense more than anyone else on the board right now.

28 Dallas Cowboys-Felix Jones (RB). They have to breath a sigh of relief the Bolts passed on him, but JJ gets his Arkansas man.

29 San Francisco 49ers (from Ind.)-Malcom Kelly (WR). Malcom has had himself an interesting offseason to say the least. But he has great size, good speed for it, and the best hands of anyone. Combining with Bryant Johnson and TE Vernon Davis, Alex Smith now has a corps of huge, mobile targets. Its make or break for him.

30 Green Bay Packers-Avion Cason (CB). Brandon Flowers get some talk here, but I think Cason is the overall better prospect, and has less off-field questions as well. If a team wants to trade up for Flacco or Henne (or Brohm if hes still here) this is likely their last chance.

31 New York Giants-Kenny Phillips (S). A solid guy from Safety U (miami) Phillips will replace the departed Gibril Wilson and help keep the Giants secondary afloat.

ROUND 2

32 Miami-Quentin Groves (DE)-A pure pass rusher, and perfect for the 3-4.
    33 Rams-Sam Baker (OT) OL depth at a sore spot
    34 Falcons (from Oak)-Duane Brown (OT) Help for Matt Ryan
    35 Chiefs-Lawrence Jackson (DE) This somewhat assumes Allen gets traded
    36 Jets-Brandon Flowers (CB) To pair with last years pick Revis
    37 Falcons-Justin King (CB) Replaces Hall
    38 Ravens-Joe Flacco (QB) Need one desperatly.
    39 49ers-Anthony Collins (OT) Need depth and maybe a RT
    40 Saints-James Hardy (WR) Will team well with Colston
    41 Bills-Dustin Keller (TE) With the big WRs gone they go with the next best thing in Keller.
    42 Bronco-Trever Laws (DT) They just need help here.
    43 Panthers-DaJaun Morgan (S) They need another starter at this spot
    44 Bears-Chad Henne (QB) Grossman, Orton, need I say more?
    45 Lions-Dan Connor (ILB) A fall for him and a party for the Lions
    46 Bengals-Mario Manningham (WR) A boom/bust guy, they might stay away from him because off his off-field issues. If they trade Chad, its a must take though.
    47 Vikings-Reggie Smith (S) Need some help at both S or CB, so plug Smith into either.
    48 Falcons (from Hou)-Dre Moore (DT) Rod Colemans replacement
    49 Eagles-Oniel Cousins (OT) Need some OL help
    50 Cardinals-Tracy Porter (CB) A playmaker for the secondary
    51 Redskins-Patrick Lee (CB) Replacement for fading Shawn Springs
    52 Buccaneers-Charles Godfrey (CB) Replacement for departed Brian Kelley
    53 Steelers-Tyvon Branch (CB) Late run here, Tomlin solidifies the secondary
    54 Titans-Jordy Nelson (WR) A tall fast target for Vince
    55 Seattle-Fred Davis (TE) They dont have one worth the name
    56 Packers-Martellus Bennett (TE) Replacement for Bubba Franks, huge target for Rodgers
    57 Miami-Curtis Lofton (LB) Okay I cheated (a little) but its possible :) Dream pick here
    58 Jaguars-Cliff Avril (DE) Pass rusher they need badly
    59 Colts-John Carlson (TE) Replacement for Utecht and insurance for Clark against injury
    60 Packers-Tyrell Johnson (S) Need help at this spot and good value
    61 Cowboys-Donnie Avery (WR) A FAST riser, this speedster will be a great complement to TO
    62 Patriots-Xavier Adibi (OLB) The LB youth movement continues with no value at CB

ROUND 3

63 Miami Red Bryant (DT) Huge DT, backup for Fergy and his replacement for the future.

ATVZ400 and brandon27 like this.
  2. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Interesting, I wouldn't have a problem with those being our first three picks. I dont know much about Red Bryant though. But I'll take your word for it! :up: Thanks!

3. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    nice work... i hope Quentin Groves is there for us in the 2nd rd

4. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Hes a big big boy, and has some talent to boot. Im not sure if its him necessarily (could be a guy like Okam), but I think we will be targetting a DT in that area. Starks will likely play DE, with Jason at the NT. Solai is the deciding factor, if Tuna thinks he can be the eventual starter we might look elsewhere, if hes a career backup we will need another NT. Fergy is getting older and has injury issues, so depth at that position is important.