1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Spore Review; Mixed reactions.

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by BuckeyeKing, Sep 7, 2008.

1. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Cell Phase- Simple, straight to the point fun as hell the first time.

Creature Phase- Wow this was changed pretty dramatically and for the better I'd say, I only played as a Carnivore as of right now and it was, it seems the game has alot of depth on this phase that makes it pretty fun.

Tribe Phase- By far the worst phase, I was pretty damn bored after doing the same thing over and over again.

Civilization Phase- Love the customization with buildings, and Vehicles, its pretty straight forward and alot better than the Tribe phase. I wish they had random generated Buildings though.

Space Phase-Haven't got there yet.

So in conclusion spore is EXTREMELY shallow overall. It has 5 phases but their all shallow, There isn't a whole going on in each phase, I think the Space phase is going to be a blast but everything else is just a taste of a actual genre that each phase uses.

Obviously it still kicks *** because of the editors and the user generated content.

2. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Is it actually out?

3. Bruzer

Bruzer New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Idaho
    I feel the same buckeye, its a great concept but yea very shallow feeling gameplay at times. Its fun for short periods for me then im done for the day.

BuckeyeKing likes this.
  4. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Space Phase is hella fun but its really annoying having attacks on new planets every 10 mins.

5. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I'm on my third civ now. I'm cracked on this thing. But I see exactly what you're saying... I just can't put it down

6. Bruzer

Bruzer New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Idaho
    hehe I know the feeling. I was same with hitman blood money. Not a bad game but has many flaws need fixed but I probably played and beat that game now 8+ times.

7. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    I wish there was a auto function to have your citys defend for themselves, I want the awesome weapons for the UFO so I can just destroy the Galaxy MUAHAHAHAHAHA.

8. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    I downloaded this bad boy last night and barely slept. Fun game, got to the second level before sleep took over.

9. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    If you want to download stuff all you do is go to the Sporepedia right click on the thumbnail save to your my document/my spore creations then click on the corresponding folder of what your saving.

Also there is a 1,000 creature pack out there.

10. Phinz420

Phinz420 New Member

May 15, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    As a former Spore fanboy for years leading up to it's release, I am going to hold back on a "full review" of this game as it is just simply too depressing to put into text.

To put it simply, I was hoping for something less linear & when I reached the tribal & civilization stages it pretty much crapped on everything I had been hoping for out of this game.

Im starting to feel that the game should have been released in packs, had they worked hard enough on each stage it could have truly felt epic in scale...the way a GD game about evolution MUST be.

This could be the biggest gaming/nerd disappointment for me ever.

That said...Im not sitting here saying I didn't have any fun. I love the concept of the game & the "dated" graphics did not bother me one bit, but to me Spore just feels like Icing without the cake.

11. Phinz420

Phinz420 New Member

May 15, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Wow.......Amazon ratings are getting hammered.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B000FKBCX4/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?_encoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1]Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Spore[/ame]

1 Star average out of 1,521 reviews.

12. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Doesn't deserve it. I thin most of them don't have the game their just bashing the game because you only get 3 activations. Now thats true but you can get them back by calling EA. Its a fun game just too shallow for my taste. Still playing it because its pretty fun.

13. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007

Well from the earlier videos they released 2-3 years ago it sounded awesome, and the features. IMO they didn't put enough depth in each stage. I felt once you hit Tribal, Civilization, and space phase that they were going to add depth to the game making it feel like a brand new game, I was sadly mistaken.

I'd give it a 7/10, if you have a creative mind then you would score it higher because of the editors.

Phinz420 likes this.
  14. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    Has an 86 on Metacritic, not a bad score at all. My friend picked me up a copy last night, I havent installed it yet so I cant comment on the game. I'm not really all that excited for it tbh, but we'll see.

Spore (pc: 2008): Reviews

Phinz420 likes this.
  15. Phinz420

Phinz420 New Member

May 15, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    I certainly don't think the game deserves 1/5 rating.

It was only so disappointing to me due to both my absurd high hopes as well as it not living up to my expected standards from Maxis/W.Wright in terms of overall Depth, replayability, and non-linear game play.

I got some enjoyment out of Spore, but I am very thankful I did not purchase the game.

16. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    What I blame is Maxis and EA milking any game, there are going to be tons of Expansion packs that could have made it in this game. They took out the Flora editor which pisses me off, they also redone the UFO Tool's. This game just needed depth on 3 of its stages and it would have been flawless.