1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My take on the upcomming game (from a Jets fan)

Discussion in 'AFC East Rivals' started by BicketyBam, Sep 24, 2010.

1. BicketyBam

BicketyBam No Fist Pumps Allowed

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    If you haven't figured it out by now, I am an older fan that is very realistic about my team. I try to be fair and keep emotion out of my analysis. So with that being said, here are my thoughts.

First, I think these two teams are very evenly matched. That doesn't mean a blowout couldn't happen one way or the other, but anyone that says one team is going to kick the crap out of the other is speaking purely on emotion. There is a reason the betting line is what it is.

Both have young QB's and I really think the book is out on both of them. I don't think either one is capable of single handedly winning the game, but both are certainly capable of losing it. The team whose QB plays the most mistake free with most likely win the game. Both teams go out of their way to protect their young quarterbacks - we'll see if either decides to let their guy play a more wide open game. Sanchez was allowed to last week - partly because NE has a weakness in pass defense and partly because NY knew that the NE offense could put points up. But the week before they called a game that made the Miami offense in the Minn game look like the run and shoot. So I really don't know which offense to show up. Personally, I'd rather see the Jets lose and at least take some shots that have them lose they way they did against the Ravens.

I expect the Miami offense to open it up against the Jets. Now if that goes south early, and Henne is struggling, I could see them going back to what they did the first two weeks. But I think Henning will try to play some no huddle and not let the Jets set their defense (which is smart).

I am not sold on Shonn Greene yet. He runs hard, but he has a habit of putting the ball on the ground. If the Jets continually run the ball up the middle, I think they are playing right into your hands. Not only will be struggle for yards, he will probably cough up the rock. And I can only hope Mangold is healthy enough to play. I am hoping that they try to get LT outside in space. Believe it or not, they guy looks extremely motivated and that burst is back. He isn't the LT of old, but he certainly has something left in the tank.

Miami has a solid running game and I expect them to get some yards. NY did a good job against the Ravens who have a pretty decent backfield. NE wasn't a test. We'll know more after this game. I don't expect the Jets to get run over, but I don't expect them to completely stuff the run either. It will be a good battle.

As far as the passing games go, Marshall was a great addition for Miami. But honestly I am more concerned with being beat by your other guys, especially the TE who the Jets always have a hard time covering. Revis is out, but they played well without him last week against a very good passing offense. I have read a lot about how Marshall will go wild against Cromtartie. I don't think so. He will catch some passes, but I don't think he will be the guy to kill the Jets. Like I said - I worry about the TE.

As far as the Jets go, if Edwards doesn't play much, or if his head is up hiss ***, you guys are in great shape. Without him, you can key on Keller. Cotchery is having a very hard time getting separation this year. And the other Jet receivers are useless. As big of a douche Edwards is, he is by far their best receiver until Holmes gets back. The Jets passing game will hinge on him (and obviously Sanchez).

I expect both lines to give up a sack or two. I think Sanchez can use his feet to buy some time and I think he is going to have to. From what I have seen of Henne, he is not that mobile. I'm sure the Jets will throw as many blitzes at him as they can get away with. The outside of Miami's OLine is very good. The inside of the Jets is very good.

I have watched both Miami games and your defense is playing very well. The Jets will have their hands full. Like I stated before, Sanchez will have to use his feet to buy a few extra seconds. I really don't think your pass D has been tested yet. Buffalo is putrid. Minn has one receiver and Favre is definitely rusty as hell. But that doesn't take away what you guys have done. And as mediocre as the Jets passing offense is, I think it will be the best one you have seen so far (assuming Edwards plays and they call more than 11 pass plays :lol:).

The Jets have played fairly good pass d so far, but they tend to let the other team convert too many 3rd downs. I am not sure how much Revis will be missed, because I don't think he was at 100% in either of the other two games. Like I said, I worry about your TE the most. If you guys can consistently move the chains - even if you don't score - you will eventually wear down the Jets.

Ok - so with all that being said, I expect a one possession game that will go down to the wire. You guys are home, but the Jets actually have a history of playing as good or better on the road. I can see the lead changing hands a few times in the 4th and the game being decided by a last play FG attempt. I'd love to make a prediction, but I realy think it is a coin flip. But since I am a visitor on your forum, I will say Miami 20, Jets 19.

Enjoy the game. :up:

2. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    please stay here after the game....you bring well thought out material, and your a good person regardless of fanhood. your welcome here as far as iam concerened.

gunna be a great game....our fanbases deserve it. good luck!

3. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    I'll be around, win or lose.

Jets fans seem to forget about how they felt after they lost to Atlanta last. I was so pissed off and thought, "these guys suck" The defense coughed up a TD with 1:33 to play in a game they had to win. Then we got a gift from the Colts. No way the Jets win if they leave Manning in the game. Then a bunch of teams did their own choke impression and we got a chance to play a "play in" game for the playoffs. Sanchez played three good playoff games and the next thing you know people are calling them Super Bowl contenders. Please. Rewind to that week 15 loss to Atlanta and any Jets fan will tell you they were disgusted with the team.

I do not expect the Jets to win a Super Bowl until Sanchez develops into a upper echelon QB - which he hasn't so far....and he may never. I do think it was the right move to draft and start him though. Clemmens sucks. But right now the Jets have no right to expect to beat anybody but the worst teams in the league (no excuse if they lose to Buffalo). Miami certainly is not a bad team and the Jets need to play a great game in order to beat them.

Sorry for the idiot Jets fans that come here and talk crap. Chances are they are 25 or younger and haven't been suffering as long as I have. But every team has their share of homers. I have to admit that some of the stuff I have read here has given me a chuckle :lol:

4. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    As a fan of the Miami Dolphins, I have nothing good to say about the other AFC East teams, however, you and a couple of Jets fans SEEM to be okay and I will continue to respond to your post with some respect.:up:

BicketyBam likes this.
  5. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    I agree with Chris.
    It's no secret that we don't like you guys, and you guys don't like us. With that being said, I don't think we have to rip each others head off when we visit each other's forums. You seem like a wise guy (no pun) and know what you are talking about. Welcome to the site. This is a very civilized place, but just like all forums, we have few knuckleheads of our own, and as a jets fan yourself, don't expect to be drooled over.
    Again, weclome. I hope you enjoy stay.

SICK, dolfan7171 and BicketyBam like this.
  6. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    I'm a fan of the game and being as such, you have to be able to objectively evaluate the competition as well as your own team. I try to do that. It doesn't make me any less of a Jets fan by saying Brady is a great QB, or that Miami has a great offensive line. When I was younger I might have had a problem with that. But at my age - it is what it is.

Being a fan of a certain team means you either grew up (or live) in that geographical area, had or have a family member that rooted for that team (father or brother), or you liked the color of their uniform when you were a kid. Nothing more and nothing less.

7. PhiNomina

PhiNomina White-Collar Redneck

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I miss this. There used to be a few Bills fans that would come around the boards and speak intelligently about their team and get good conversation going - but they've been so bad it has died out.

Sports are more fun when you can argue intelligently about your teams. Screaming "you suck" doesn't further the conversation.

This all goes out the window if you guys win, of course. :lol:

SICK and BicketyBam like this.
  8. AbideN703

AbideN703 Yes, I'd hit it

Jan 7, 2008
    Springfield, Virginia
    I second that. It's good to have an opposing team's fan come in here and be civil. I can say I appreciate it a lot

dolfan7171, SICK and BicketyBam like this.
  9. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    If the Jets happen to win, I will keep my mouth shut. No one will want to hear what I have to say, that's for sure.

10. PhiNomina

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Nah - if you are cordial before the game and then win - you deserve to come on and be proud.

I still think it all comes down to big plays. Whoever can get 1-2 big plays will win. This will probably be the kind of game where a 20 yd pass is a "big play" so it will be whichever QB can manage a few good completions and avoid mistakes.

11. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Welcome to the board!

12. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I'm waiting for that "Its a Trap" thing to pop up, but yeah bro, I too welcome any good opposing views...you sound like a good dude, must be a Yankee fan...

BicketyBam likes this.
  13. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    that doesnt make sense.

finyank13 likes this.
  14. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    ahhhh Chris Chris Chris :pity:.........

SICK likes this.
  15. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT

Guilty as charged, but I've been a fan of the Yanks since 1973 (I remember my Bobby Murcer baseball card). I saw some lousy Yankee teams over the years...and some good ones.

I've seen enough Yankee championships to last a lifetime. I don't get all pumped for them anymore. I love baseball, but losing doesn't make me ill like when the Jets lose :lol:

16. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    I think we will see a better version on the Jets first game. Not a lot of scoring and a team having a chance to beat the other on the last possession.

17. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Same here bro...I enjoyed last year, because I wanted A-Rod to get one, but nothing about Yankee success moves me anymore I have seen 5....God I hope I dont get that way with Miami....

18. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado

You know, I've never been to Miami:sad:
    I have seen the Dolphins play 7 times on the road:wink2:

finyank13 likes this.
  19. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

You sure you're noy a Giants fan????

20. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    I rooted for the Pats in the Super Bowl. Does that answer your question?

Sent from my EVO 4G using Tapatalk

21. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Wow, your were wrong twice then......:lol:

Props to the Yanks interest...smart man.

Sad about Jets (just like both my NJ Brothers-in-Law); then again I also have a 3rd Brother in Law from Boston (Pats and Sox....uggghhhhh). So you arent as bad.

But, rooting for Pats is a no-no. So grateful the the G-men (My Dad's team) and their overthrow of the BeliCHEAT regime and preventing them from achieving a true UNDEFEATED season.

22. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    P.S. I am nervous about Jets Sunday Night. So many things point to a 4th Consecutive Dolphins victory in this heated rivalry, that they collectively almost start to play against you. You feel the W is so close, that somehow, someway, it will not happen and you realize how painful that could be.

23. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

How dare you..

24. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    I've hated the Giants since I was old enough to watch football. Ask a Mets fan how they feel about the Yankees. Same thing. Who do you think Mets fans rooted for in the WS last year?

Sent from my EVO 4G using Tapatalk

25. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    Enjoy the game, boys. May the best team win :up:

late again likes this.
  26. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    Epic Jets/Dolphins game. You know if they scored, they would have converting the 2 pt. conversion.

You guys have a solid team. Your offense is much better than I thought and the Jets defense is overrated (not to take away from what your team did). Jets were fortunate to get out with a win tonight. If the Jets make the playoffs, I'm sure we will see you.

If it helps, the Jets are sure to lay an egg against Buffal-hole. It's their MO.

SeanP, Fin-Omenal, ToddsPhins and 4 others like this.
  27. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    All class man......tough game.....Phins just had a few to many mistakes...came out flat....battled back....took the lead, but a breakdown gave it right back, and just a handful of errors of judgment turned the tide in these typical hard fought Div games.

Looking forward to the rematch.

28. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    I hope other Jets fans don't come along and start talking smack, because I know 99% were sh!tting bricks at the end. I know I was. I was ready to puke watching you guys move down the field in like 3 plays.

I am disappointing in both defenses. If the Jets had lost, I would have blamed the D. I thought they sucked tonight. And your offense played very well. I'm glad they stopped throwing at Wilson. He was getting torched. He may turn out to be a good one, but right now he is a rookie who gets caught out of position all the time.

And I agree about the wildcat. They did the Jets a favor every time they ran it. We put no pressure on Henne. I would have kept throwing the ball on every down....except at the end. Run it once there and you probably score. Hey - that reminds me. Who the hell calls play action on 3rd and long?

My only ***** about the officiating was the phantom hold an the Sanchez run. That was so ticky tacky. I couldn't believe they called it. But the Jets deserved every other penalty...they need to knock that crap off.

Again - great game. 23 points usually gets you a win, unless they are all garbage time points - which yours weren't. You moved the ball well on a good (but not great) defense. Henne looked very good. Sanchez isn't scoring in that spot at the end either. In fact, he probably would have been sacked on consecutive plays and then thrown one right to one of your guys.

Good luck against NE. Cover Moss and Welker.

ToddsPhins and gunn34 like this.
  29. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    you have been class all week. great game bro. cya next time!

BicketyBam likes this.
  30. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I thought that hold on the Sanchez TD was major. If you don't call a lineman holding the outside of the shoulder pads then you wouldn't call any holding penalties. The call that was ticky-tacky was the one on Clemons for hitting a WR in the head. He didn't go for the kill shot. All he did was protect himself. Other than bailing on the play before seeing whether the WR caught the ball, there was nothing else he could have done.

I thought both defenses were over rated. Reality is that well executed offense is impossible to stop consistently b/c the rules are too slanted against the defenses. The teams that will be successful going forward are the one that have enough mis-match weapons on offense and a defense that is good enough and can get turnovers. The Dolphin has been good but other than the Minny game, they fail to capitalize on the turnover opportunities.

Keller is a hell of a weapon for you guys. And Sanchez is developing nicely. IMO Edwards and Green are hit and miss players who will frustrate you as much as not. It will be interesting to see if Holmes becomes that consistent WR threat going forward.

31. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Keller being left open in the first half was crazy. And we couldn't touch their special teams/wildcat weapon. He gained 150 yards in very limited playing time.

32. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    How about the Jets been laughed at for signing LT? I think the guy has been the best player for them through 3 games. I just hope they don't over use him. They have to give the ball to Greene so that LT doesn't run out of gas later in the season.

Holmes will definitely help their passing game. Between Edwards, Keller, Holmes, and Cotchery, Sanchez should be able to make some big plays. Sanchez still needs a lot of work on his deep ball though.

I still hate that holding call.

33. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    Keller is a great receiver. His blocking is fair to foul at best.

Brad Smith is awesome.....just not as a WR. They way they use him now is perfect.

34. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I like LT. I tried (unsuccessfully) to pick him up on my fantasy team. I do think he is a downgrade from Thomas Jones though.

Sanchez will take time. In reality it will take a QB with enough talent a good 5 years to potentially get to the Peyton or Brees level. The team can win before that, see Big Ben, if the surrounding team is good enough, but it will take that long fully understand the offense. IMO both Sanchez and Henne have enough talent to become top 10 QBs. The stability in the organization and their surrounding talent will determine how much success they ultimately see.

35. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    Greene replaced Jones.

Jones wasn't as good as last year's stats indicated. You had to see him play every down. No burst at all.

36. PhiNomina

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I wish our horribly timed WildCat playcalling (Cobbs reverse) worked as well as your horribly timed WildCat playcalling (Brad Smith 16 yd run).

37. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    That's the new spin. The original thinking was that Green was ready to become the bell cow and that LT would spell him.

And I watched plenty of Jones' carries. He showed more burst than LT does now. LT is a good player because he has vision more than burst. That's what Jones provided last year with a bit more burst.

38. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I don't know. We've been trying to figure that one out for a while now. :lol: :angry:

Maybe it's like a pitcher's fake to 3rd pickoff attempt where it works once every 1000 tries. :shifty:

39. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University

SEE! This guy gets it why cant everyone?

Obviously Vontae will be on Moss Im just wondering how we cover Welker, no need to leave the nickel imo those bastards cant run.

40. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT

Their "running game" will consist of dump offs to Westhead. You have to watch him - he plays much bigger than his size.

Also, their TE torched the Jets. You have to figure out a way to cover him or he will kill you.