1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My thoughts on the next year, and Chad Pennington

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by westernnyphinfa, Jan 5, 2009.

1. westernnyphinfa

westernnyphinfa New Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    First of all I'm not going to showcase statistics or actual numbers to back up what I am going to say.

I have been a die hard fan since 1979 and consider myself pretty knowledgeable in Football.

What Chad Pennington and the offensive coordinators did to allow for this team to be in a position to win the division and host a playoff game can not be discounted.

Chad had his worst game of the year yesterday, and I'm not advocating a change a QB, however, I do recall the last playoff game I watched with Chad as a NY Jet against the Patriots he threw several key interceptions and if memory serves me correctly, one was returned by Asante Samuel for a Touchdown.

Should have the starting job next year, yes he should. However with the Divisional first place finish, Chad is going to face more defenses like the Ravens that are "top flight" and more "athletic" then the ones he faced for most of the 08 season.

It is a concern that has to be looked at.

Another concern is that a guy who checked down all year missed several plays where he had both running backs wide open in the flat for small gains all day. Against that defense that is all we needed.

Is Chad not a big game QB?

On the flip side we were one of only a handful of teams that had the same QB start all 16 games. Bringing stability to a position that has not had any since Danny retired.

We don't have the most talented group of Wr’s. Our offensive line needs to improve in the Run game.

6 points I will mention relative to the upcoming season.

1.) My understanding is that the Patriots are going to Franchise Cassel, which according to my information will mean that the Patriots will have a large portion of the 09 salary cap dedicated to only 5 players.

2.) Pioli appears to be leaving New England, and the offensive coordinator is also possibly leaving.

3.) Building on point 1 Tom Brady is probably not playing next year.

4.) The Jets are a mess, old, and probably will be looking for a new QB.

5.) Trent Edwards has not played well since his concussion early in the season and the Bills fans wanted a change at coach.

6.) All of the starting Linebackers for the Baltimore Ravens are Free Agents next year.

What does this all mean?

The upside is huge for Miami going forward.

Chad helped to change a dying/losing culture, which alone should buy him time, however during next year if when facing a "higher level" of opponent he reverts to what we saw yesterday, serious consideration should be given to Henne and Beck.

Which I am sure the Miami brain Trust agrees with.

Congratulations to Bill Parcels and his people and Chad Pennington as well as the rest of this team for bringing our Team out of the Abyss of losing and despair!

I am upset that we lost, if Chad plays like he did all season we win this game, but for what we have and what we have to look forward to, this is just the start.

I look forward to your feedback!

2. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    Um. You can say a lot of things about the Jets but they certainly arn't old, unless you're talking about their Future Hall of Fame QB whose going to retire, most likely. :up:

3. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    I thought he was coming back to make another team run in 09.:lol:

padre31 and cnc66 like this.
  4. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    If he does he knows that he needs to be there for all offseason activities, all of OTA's, all of Minicamp and all of Training Camp.

If he does come back, thats the only way I want him to come back. Come back in February or March, not in July. The players have echoed the same thing. They'd love to have him back if he were to come back in time to do all of the things that they have to do. Mangini treated him like he was different, thats not good leadership or coaching.

5. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    I agree bro. Everyone has got to be treated the same.:wink2:

Straz likes this.
  6. jupiterfin

jupiterfin Mild Irritant

Nov 29, 2007
    Jupiter Florida

Hijacker, this thread is about the Dolphins :wink2:

7. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    nice post. i think with better pass-pro, chad plays better. losing your 2 guards and best WR hurts. it also hurts that greg camarillo is our best wr. we just werent good enough to keep losing bodies and stay competitive. that said, we have a very young team who will only get better. but we need more talent, no doubt. and good or bad, players LOVE Miami.

8. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    IMO there should be no question as to whether or not Pennington is a "big game QB". While the game last Sunday was certainly a big game, the game the week before was also a very big game.
    The team that tossed CP to the curb
    A win makes us division champ and puts us in the playoffs.
    Now that's a BIG game.

9. westernnyphinfa

Aug 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    QB is big, Thomas Jones isn't exactly young. Fancea is a little long in the tooth, Ty Law.

I'm just saying when you spend money on free agents which the Jets did do this past offseason more than likely you are picking up older players.

However that being said, as I stated my comments didn't have many numbers or stats to back up my thoughts.

This isn't a Jets Post.

10. westernnyphinfa

Aug 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    Thanks for the Assist!

11. westernnyphinfa

Aug 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    I agree with you completely, I can't forget that Playoff game he played against New England and then of course yesterday.

The flip side is this team had to play perfect football for 9 weeks to win the division, hopefully next year they can avoid the slow start?

12. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    You could put Dan Marino, Johnny Unitas, or Otto Graham in the situation Chad faced on Sunday and they'd be throwing interceptions too. The Baltimore defense was just coming straight through the middle of our O-Line without being slowed down.

No running game and being forced to throw quickly under immense pressure is not a recipe for success in the NFL.

funkdat and Fin Fan In Cali like this.
  13. westernnyphinfa

Aug 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    He had Check downs available all day to both Ricky and Ronnie.

He played completely the opposite of the way he got us here yeseterday, so I don't COMPLETELY agree with that statement.

I do agree with the running game issue though and yes he was under heavy pressure.

14. westernnyphinfa

Aug 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    Let me leave you with this thought, Phillip Rivers threw the ball away several times Saturday night during critical situations, leaving his team in a punting situation.

Chad should have thrown the ball away, there was no indication that the Ravens offense was going to move the ball on us.

It was a chess match that Chad should have won, he usually does, my question is based on his previous playoff experience is he not a "big game" QB.

15. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    Throwing to the check down receiver for small gains was never going to win us that game, and the Baltimore D put Miami in a situation where Chad had to be successful throwing deep for the 'phins to have a chance to win the game.

OK Chad could have thrown to the check down receiver and made his own stats look better, but it would have been at the expense of reducing the team's chances of winning.

westernnyphinfa likes this.
  16. westernnyphinfa

Aug 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    I completely disagree with you on this.

You throw to your Running Backs in the flat forcing the Linebackers to cover your Running backs, which in turn leaves the middle of the field open.

Boring but effective.

I also disagree with your statement considering our defense held the Ravens and Flacco in check when they were on the field.

Punting the ball and forcing Flacco to beat us was the way to win this game, and I think our Defense was prepared to do so.

Throwing deep passes to Ginn (Ed Reed) is not the way to play chess with one of the better defensive teams in the past 10 years (historically).

Considering Chad isn't known for throwing deep passes.

Interceptions for ill advised passes wasn't the recipe for success, take the sack throw the ball away or check down.

Mistake free football is how we got here, I'm not sure what went on with Chad yesterday, perhaps he tried to win the game on his own.

17. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Actually I think playing field position would have helped Miami's chances. Flacco was inaccurate all day. I love Chad but he took too many chances yesterday. He should have been content with dink and dunk. You shouldn't be making desperate throws down the field in the 2nd quarter with the game tied at 3.

18. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I think one problem is what we asked him to do Sunday. We were conservative all year and then last game we start running receivers 25 yards down the field. That makes no sense. We put him in position to fail on Sunday in my opinion, and the play of the guards was terrible as well.

westernnyphinfa likes this.
  19. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    That is the way I see it, Pennington tried to do too much, then we fell behind, then he really started pressing, and the Oline only got worse as the game rolled on.

I saw Ray Lewis run right in between Samson and Ndukwe and they did not even flinch...it was amazing...and telling as to what sort of game we had.

funkdat likes this.
  20. Anybodybutthepats

Anybodybutthepats New Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Wow...startin to sound like the Jets message board in here...Anyway, pennington in 5 career playoff games going into yesterday had an 83+ rating with 7 tds and 4 picks in his career...bad hgame yesterday but hey lets just decide that he's not a big game guy because oh yeah this was the only big game we played this year ..lets forget that this year he beat the Jets and the Pats and the Chargers and the Bills twice.

Chad is going to face more defenses like the Ravens that are "top flight" and more "athletic" then the ones he faced for most of the 08 season.

Are you kidding? there are no other defenses like the Ravens...none..not the Steelers..none Without protection you don't get to check down against them ...there is no time...The dolphins game plan was to try and throw downfield yesyerday because they had success earlier in the year with it...game plan didn't work...Chad didn't play well...but lets forget this because you already know

Chad isnt a big game guy ....He won the biggest game the dolphins have played in 10 years last week but he's no good under pressure

If this team wants to compete next year and the year after then Pennington is the QB...In full years he always took the Jets to the playoffs...everytime... with teams no better than this one.... Henne may turm out to be good , but it is unlikely that he will finish his career with the success pennington has had....ride the winner as long as you can

21. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    Oh of course I was waiting to here from you!

I didn't know late 20's and early 30's was old, especially at particular positions.

Tony Richardson is a Free Agent, Bryan Thomas is on the chopping block and so is Laveranues Coles. Kris Jenkins is young for a 34 Nose Tackle, still playing at the top of his game. Offensive Lineman also don't see a tremendous dropoff usually until they are 35.

How can you be so sure that Vernon Gholston will "never grasp the pass rushing position"? The guy played a 43 in college, he was late to team practices and activities because of stupid College rules kept him at Ohio State later than everyone else. Mangini also was trying to force feed dropping back into pass protection and all other kinds of things down his throat instead of just going after the Quarterback. The guy has talent and one year in a new scheme with a tithead as Head Coach doesn't mean he is a bust. And for your information he'll be working out this offseason with the greatest 34 Outside Linebacker of all time, Lawrence Taylor.

Young talent you ask for?

Gholston, Mangold, Harris, Revis, Leon Washington, Jerricho Cotchery, David Clowney, Chansi Stuckey, Dustin Keller, Dwight Lowery, Kellen Clemens and Kerry Rhodes is still young.

22. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    Throwing short passes and check down passes to the 'backs is how Chad Pennigton is successful. He is not going to beat you deep unless your running game is feared or having a stellar day. The Ravens defense does not fear any rushing attack, therefore they are the perfect team to defend against Pennington and his dink & dunk style.

23. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    Its closer than you think, but both teams are set up well for the future at key positions.

24. westernnyphinfa

Aug 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY

I agree, and I don't want this thread to come off as a Chad Pennigton bashfest. I couldn't be more proud of what he did both on the field and off to help this team acheive what they acheived.

Several times the pocket pushed him to one side of the field, however there were several times where he "uncharacteristically locked" on to his receiver.

This game was winnable, and we blew it.

Someone also posted Chad's career stats which prove my "big game" theory wrong and that is ok.

It's a total team effort.

One other point is that when Devon Bess went down before half our offense was severly affected, which tells me that he is going to be a stud for us, also tells me we have depth issues at that position.

I look forward to next year and I am optimistic about our chances, I'm just playing devils advocate.

25. westernnyphinfa

Aug 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    That might be true however the current possible instability at QB could dramatically impact the Jets, we just went through a ton of QB's looking for Chad or even having two young backups waiting in the wings.

Good luck with that!

26. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    See, that is what outsiders do not understand and I think we debated this before, but its quite simple.

We needed to cut Pennington because we needed to release or trade him in 24 hours to make room for Favre. Every single team around the NFL knew this. They knew they didn't have to give up a pick or cent for Pennington because they knew the Jets had to release him. If they wanted him they knew they could compete for him with other teams on the open market. When push came to shove, Miami was the only team giving Chad an opportunity to start. Minnesota wasn't interested.

And Tannenbaum is a good G.M., far from one of the worst. I'd take him over more than half of the G.M.'s around the NFL. He has had good drafs and has picked up everyone the owner and "Mangenious" asked him too. He has done his job. Gholston is not a bust yet and he has made solid pick after solid pick.

Leon Washington, Nick Mangold, D'Brickashaw Ferguson (yeah, yeah we know we could've had Cutler but what has he won so far?), Kellen Clemens, Dwight Lowery, David Harris, Darrrelle Revis and others.

27. westernnyphinfa

Aug 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    Ed Reed is a stud though!

28. dolphans1

dolphans1 New Member

Oct 15, 2008
    I agree, he seemed to force the ball when there was pressure, when he just should have taken the sack or thrown the ball away. I know he trying to make things happen, but he should have ridden the horse that got him there, and that is the high percentage short and intermediate passes and running the ball.

If we lost this game in OT, would it have really made it any better....?

Remember, we had to win our last 4 games in a row just to make it into the playoffs, and we did

d-1