1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my "want to" list

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by anlgp, Mar 16, 2009.

Tags:
  1. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I don't really know why i'm sticking this out here. I suppose it's because it's a public affirmation of these things I'd like to accomplish. So without further adu I'd like to introduce my "want to" lists. I want to:

eat better/more diverse
    exercise more
    sit less
    work more
    worry less
    drink less sodas
    drink more water
    sleep better
    play guitar more
    drink less coffee
    become financially independent
    become simplified
    build my own linux distro from scratch
    start learning the basics of ruby programming
    continue lifting
    maintain levels of friendships with those that i've started

I'm not going to put a time frame down because I could go into panic mode if I find myself not doing these things within a certain time. I'm like that. I enjoy being punctual and knowing when things are going to be done. If I set a time for myself I'll become upset at not doing it and then it'll just drag me down. If I consider most of it a "lifestyle change" and keep rolling with the punches that come along I'll do a lot better.

Just figured I'd throw these things out there....

sking29 and Fin-Omenal like this.
  2. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Life is short bro, gl in your journey!:up:

anlgp likes this.
  3. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Good luck Steve. Remember you have a whole life to accomplish these things. BTW the linux one is awesome and I want your first beta. :up:

anlgp likes this.
  4. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    it seems like most of them would only take a matter of a day to really change, if you were dedicated enough to them. Obviously you can't just change your lifestyle, but make adjustments and slow transitions. Start with flavored seltzer water at first, for instance. its close to soda but healthier. then slowly transition to just flavored water and eventually plain water.

plan out meals ahead of time, it really helps with staying on top of eating better. I find when I'm hungry and trying to come up with a quick meal, i end up going to subway or buying something fast and bad for me.

financially independent.. hm. how dependent are you? do you have a job? (i realize i have no idea how old you are, gap)

sorry for the obvious tips.. i find myself in your position a lot trying to motivate myself more.. and i feel if i try to give you advice maybe i'll just heed it myself as well

anlgp likes this.
  5. anlgp

Thanks guys.

Sking, that one might take a while. While I understand that there are ways to build a linux distro from codes that you can automatically type into the terminal I want to only resort to that as a last minute choice. For the record so I can get it out there to you now it will be lightweight and will only include my preferred programs of choice (as lightweight and functional as possible).

I'm mainly wanting to do it because I've found while many other distros fit the needs of "a lot of people" none of them really fit the needs of "me" and that's one of the best things I've come to find out about linux is how completely customizable it is. So what I want to do is basically start from the kernel and add everything from there. There are some obvious things I'm going to have to automate, such as connecting to the web, etc. but for the most part I want to do it from scratch.

By the way just because it's something "I" want to do doesn't mean I wouldn't willingly accept some help along the way if you happen to know a bit about building a distro... :lol: ;)

6. anlgp

some of the mental ones are harder on me.. ie. worry less. planning the meals out ahead of time would be nice; but i was thinking also more along the lines of eating more culturally diverse food as well. I ate korean for my birthday and it kinda created an interest. I was talking to Alen and he mentioned some kind of food (cevape, alen?) and it looked awesome..

:lol: very dependent. I do not have a steady job. I'm 24.

7. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Sorry I can be of no help programming or anything but I would take anything you could ever pass along just because I love that kind of stuff, but if you had nothing to pass along that would be fine as well. :up:

Also I love the idea of building an OS (essentially) from scratch I just find it so interesting that Linux allows people to do that. Create that next great distro Steve. :up:

8. pennphinfan

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    yeah, I'm fresh out of school and while i've always held some sort of job since I was 16, it's never been anything high paying. even now I'm just working at a coffee shop until i can hopefully find a 'real' job. but still, it pays the rent (barely) and allows me to buy some food throughout the week (i get about 75% of my desired number of meals haha).

but there are certainly some jobs out there to be had that aren't necessarily what you 'want' to do but are still fun. I'd be just as content sitting at home these days and doing nothing, but getting out and interacting with people is just so worth it, if not only just for the $$. as corny as it sounds I really do enjoy working. at this point in my life were it not for my job I'd been a useless slob :lol:

9. pennphinfan

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    as far as food, there's all kinds out there. vietnamese is really good (Pho and the like). Indian food is great, though I don't eat it very often. I absolutely love spicy thai dishes. There was a thai restaurant near where I used to live in boston that was amazing and cheap

anlgp likes this.
  10. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I think you're complicating things.

I'm not trying to be a d-bag, but your list isn't particularly challenging. Its been my experience with myself and all the people I've known, that its not that hard to do things you really want to do. When people make lists like this, its generally, if you think about it, more of a list of things people FEEL like they SHOULD do.

Everything you do in a day, you do because you either want to or have to. Either way there is a real tangible desire to do those things, and lo and behold, you do them. I suspect, if those things were as important to you as coming on here, for example, you'd do them.

Life is too damn short, too filled up with things we have to do, to spend any time lamenting or trying to force yourself to do things you feel like you should do. We get so caught up in the minutia of life and the expectations that others or society as whole places on us, we forget, we are completely in control of our lives, and should savor the times we have away from the "have tos".

To make a long post a little bit longer, the one thing on your list that will make everything else easier is "worry less". Making this kind of list, is born from worry, and if there is worry, then chances are, you're doing it wrong.:up:

pennphinfan likes this.
  11. anlgp

The list was meant to be short and simplistic instead of typing long thought out wistful things and romanticizing them and I fail to understand how I am being complicated when the list of things wasn't "particularly challenging". I disagree that making a list such as this is born from worry.

The only thing that I need in life is food to live. The rest is beset on me by society or my own wants.

12. pennphinfan

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    [​IMG]

Big E and Fin D like this.
  13. anlgp

:lol:

I also want to work on my patience and firing off on people :shifty:

14. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    I want to work on understanding...

Nothing.

I know everything. I'm awesome.

Good luck to you though analgap.

:wink2:

anlgp and pennphinfan like this.
  15. pennphinfan

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    off topic, but if you guys do trade for cutler, i hope you pay out the arse for an 'arm that can brave the winds of the meadowlands' :up:

124 likes this.
  16. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    If we trade for Cutler you won't see me here for weeks.

I will drink so much in happiness that I will streak across the entire United States.

I was happy with Favre, that was nice but Cutler is just a whole 'nother ball game. Not many chances you get to trade for a bright, strong armed, Quarterback in this league. Not many at all. The Jets better not let this pass them by, they'd be stupid to let it. Favre was a nice 1 year thing to sell PSL's and jerseys, very cute, Cutler can come here for 10-12 years and produce.

17. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I sincerely hope you did not take offense to my post. It wasn't my intent to come off insulting. If I did come across that way, I'm sorry.

I think making a list about things that aren't challenging is a very classic example of complicating things, whether you did it romantically and wistful or not.

I'm not reading into things here, you said you need to worry less. You also said you can't put a date on these things because that will cause more worry. Further, why do people make these kinds of lists, if not because of some level worry or another? Whether it be because you're worried you'll forget them, or worried you won't achieve them, etc. The point is, you made a "want to list" and not a "will do list". The only difference between the two, is that your list implies there's limitations, when there aren't any really. (That's why i said its not particularly challenging, because there are no real obstacles in your list, except for maybe self mandated ones.) The only one that may fall outside that is the Linux stuff, but i'm sure if you hunkered down, you'd have no real problem.

Food is not all you need in life. You, me, all of us, need to be happy too. if we didn't, we wouldn't be trying so hard. Society may have told us what we think will make us happy, but it is up to us to decide for ourselves.

pennphinfan likes this.
  18. anlgp

Motivation and happiness are two big obstacles in my life right now so the list is more complicated than it seems. It's a "want to" list and not a "will do" list because I'm tired of telling my things I "will do" them and then not doing them. Happiness is a chemical reaction in the brain that comes and goes, nothing more. It is a passing emotion in fixed solid. I made the list not because of worry but because of being tired of my overall lack of exerience and happiness and motivation with life. I realize I'm sounding like I'm full of contradictions and you're right to a point. I agree that folks need and deserve to be happy just that I've had so little of it here in recent years and it was all centered around things or people that are no longer in my life so I'm left with little to no direction, motivation and happiness.

Your post offended me but I'm running on two days of crappy sleep so I sincerely apologize for my smart *** reply.

pennphinfan and Fin D like this.
  19. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    First of all, everything we think and feel, is a chemical reaction in our brain, that does not in and of itself make these things less important or irrelevant.

I'll just skip to the end of my overall point: Realize the things that you already do, that aren't necessities/needs, are things you do because you enjoy them. If you see and understand that, then you'll realize you are in fact capable of doing more things you enjoy.

I figured I offended you, and again, I'm sorry.

anlgp likes this.
  20. anlgp

I agree with your points.

No worries and your apology accepted...

now.. got any ideas for diversifying food? talking out of the united states food... :lol:

Man I'm hungry...

Fin D likes this.
  21. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    not to high jack the thread. but gap if yo know anything about torrents please get on aim!!!

22. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    I want to live long enough to piss on the graves of my enemies.

23. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    nice list. its the little things that make the difference in life. u got my support.