1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nagging Green Dot question.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by JerryC, Jan 1, 2008.

1. JerryC

JerryC New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    wanted to ask earlier in the season, but did not want to sound dumb, but I have to ask.

Does anyone know what the green dot on the back of the helmets of the qb's are for? I don't remember seeing them prior to this season. Is it to id the qb to refs or defenders from the back? thanks.

2. Drfletcherdc

Drfletcherdc New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    The green dots means the helmet has a radio in it for the qb to hear the play call from the coach. Thats all. Pretty stupid and ugly if you ask me.

3. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Bingo.
    If you look thru the games, only QBs have them.

4. JerryC

JerryC New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Ah, Drf, thanks so much...nagged at me all year. thought it was just to id the qb for some reason. but that makes sense and like you said is pretty dumb. Everyone knows the qb has the radio in his helmet so like you, makes no sense to me and is UGLY.. Maybe they were worried the players did not have enough sense to get the right helmet? haha.......anyway thanks for putting that to rest in my mind.

5. JerryC

JerryC New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yes, I saw that all season, but chalked it up to it being some sort of identification for the QB, maybe so officials, or defenders could tell who he was from the back to protect him.

6. Betters75

Betters75 New Member

Nov 30, 2007
    I call it the Vick rule. Onley one player on offence is alowed a radio in their hellmit(leage rule) A few times last year Vick would line up as a slot rec. and Shaub at QB. Both players being QB's had radios in their hellmits. Thats a penalty! It gives officals a better way to tell who has a radio.

If I'm wrong, let me know?

7. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Not sure how thats a penalty.
    Is there a rule that states that no more than one player is allowed to have QBs helment on?

And im sure they did it, so equiptment people wouldn tthriow them in with all the hellments.

8. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    its for the coach to call the play and there is only one aload on the field at a time

9. Reminisce

Reminisce Banned

Dec 8, 2007
    why dont any MLB's have radios in there helmet?

10. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    Becuase the NFL is about encouraging high scoring games.

11. andyahs

andyahs New Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Thanks to the Patriots 'spygate' incident they may allow a defensive player to have a radio installed for 2008.

12. Zod

Zod Ruler of the Universe

Nov 25, 2007
    Only one offensive player may have a communication helmet on any given play.

The communication is only allowed for the first 10-15 seconds (not sure) of the play clock. A league official turns the radio on and off during the game.

13. billsfaninpeace

billsfaninpeace New Member

Dec 4, 2007
    WEll it does not have to be the QB. BUt 100% of the time it will be because the green dot just ids the radio helmet. There can only be one radio helmet on the field for the Offense.

The Def the rules committe tried to vote on a radio reciever for Def as well but it was voted down this past year.

BUt with the stealing signals stuff it probably will get passed this year. and you will see one green dot on Def as well. It just keeps getting voted down

14. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    thats because only one guy on the field is allowed to have it so they give it to the QB