1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nalbone was to be waived but

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dwhorton, Sep 7, 2009.

Tags:
  1. dwhorton

dwhorton New Member

Mar 6, 2009
    calphin likes this.
  2. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    I'm gonna take this opportunity to question why Nalbone was even drafted.

Maybe someone who knows more than me can shed light on this? I would assume he was going to go undrafted, right? So why didn't we just wait and sign him?

5th round no less. Monmouth college?!

3. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    If you wait to sign a player as an UDFA, you have to compete against every other NFL team that may invite him to camp. From what I've read, Nalbone was a small school prospect that alot of teams had eyes for, so we drafted him when we had the chance. It was later in the draft, so you can take chances like that, and Parcells and Co. seem to like looking for those diamonds in the small school rough in the later rounds.

HULKFish and Eop05 like this.
  4. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    He would have been drafted, a lot of teams had their eyes on him. I had no problem with it.

Eop05 likes this.
  5. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    1. Nablone was on the top 25 small college best prospects list, a 5th round pick was not out of line for him, but it may have been used to early.

2. Talk about knowing how to motivate a player, NBone went from "bring your playbook, you have been waived" to "here is your playbook back"

3. I always knew NBone would make the squad, come on...a NE East Italian kid whose family knows Tuna from his time around the race track...who couldn't see NBone sticking coming...:lol:

The bigger story is Haynos, he caught 5 passes and 1 TD last season and he ran DMart out of Miami?

Joey H has loads of potential.

Eop05 likes this.
  6. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    well none of us can know for sure what was going on in the draft room, but suffice it say that Parcells most likely had a very small list of guys he 'wanted' in the 5th round. That list probably dwindled down to Nalbone. parcells has proven he doesn't necessarily care about draft stock (Langford, Hartline, turner, Nalbone, etc) He just wants HIS guys.

So Nalbone probably could have lasted at least another round, but Parcells doesn't care. Or Ireland, if you wanna give me a spiel about how hes the gm and not parcells.

7. DolfanCole

DolfanCole Season Ticket Holder

Jan 4, 2008
    Hampton, VA
    Sounds like they had a pretty good eye on Drew (recently signed TE that was waived from the Ravens). He was picked in the 5th round ahead of our pick. It's almost as if we had targeted Drew, but when he was picked, we went with Nalbone with our pick.

It'll also be interesting to see if the first 6 weeks are used to see which of the two will stick. I say 6 weeks 'cause that's when we can activate Roth off the PUP -- and we may use that time to decide which one to let go (Drew or Nalbone) and make room for Roth on the active roster.

8. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I don't know.

The Dolphins seem to think Martin needs surgery that will keep him out awhile. And they don't want to wait for James Andrews to confirm/dispute it.

Haynos has that height, but I don't know that he's in Martin's class right now. Does he move like a former WR? Can he create mismatches with anything other than his height?

Wait and see, as always. :)