1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Navy SEAL honored with warship bearing his name

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by USArmyFinFan, May 5, 2011.

1. USArmyFinFan

USArmyFinFan Maximum Effort

Mar 23, 2008
    Houston Texas

Great story, here is the link if you want to read the rest.

charlestonphan, Tone_E and Desides like this.
  2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    UGH, that to me is Afghanistan in a nutshell, mercy repaid with bullets.

How about the "USS W.G.M.A.T.A.T.S"?

3. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    True Hero indeed. It is stories like this that make me question (somewhat) the stories of allied forces in the middle east killing civilians. In this case, it would have saved the lives of the initial recon team and the rescue chopper.

Looking from a 3rd party perspective and with hindsight, I would've considered taking the herders hostage for the duration of the mission if I had enough rations to feed them.

Hearts out to all the families of these fallen soldiers, and all others past and present.

4. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Might as well just embed a lawyer into every unit the way we allowed journalists to be embedded in 2003. That’s where the US government is heading anyway.

Does anyone know if we’ve named vessels after other black ops guys?

5. charlestonphan

charlestonphan Junior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Lt Murphy was the leader of the ill fated 4 man recon squad that included Marcus Luttrell. Luttrell's account of the mission is titled "Lone Survivor," for obvious reasons. It was a best seller and is an amazing read. Luttrell is a name many are more familiar with, but it is Murphy's who earned the Medal of Honor for his act of self sacrifice. I highly recomment both books, but SEAL of HONOR focuses on Murphy's life, and is largely a biography.